Jayden Daniels declares for draft

Rhg1084

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Will be interesting to see how high he rises, I see an Anthony Richardson like rise, some team will fall in love with him and go up to get him.

Hopefully the Jets can lose out get a top 3-4 pick and then trade down a bit, still get an OT and get that 2nd rounder back.

I think there's a chance he could be the #2 pick (over Drake Maye).  I could easily see him going in the top 4 though (with MHJ as the lone non-QB in that group).  Even if a team doesn't need him, there's an excellent chance some other team will want to trade up.

The Jets badly need to lose out.  We'll probably win this week though. (Not because we're any good but just because it'll benefit us to lose out).

• Upvote 2

I feel like every draft, the forum is collectively doing this over every QB prospect, with small groups obsessing over this guy or that guy:

giphy.gif

Now it's Daniels.  The next Mahomes.  Just like the last three "next Mahomes"?  TBD I guess, lol.

Gonna be a fun draft season knowing we're not taking a QB, yet with everyone wanting to do so.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:
I feel like every draft, the forum is collectively doing this over every QB prospect, with small groups obsessing over this guy or that guy:
giphy.gif
Now it's Daniels.  The next Mahomes.  Just like the last three "next Mahomes"?  TBD I guess, lol.
Gonna be a fun draft season knowing we're not taking a QB, yet with everyone wanting to do so.

I'm tired of rooting for the draft
... It doesn't really matter.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You cannot have wanted Aaron Rodgers 10 months ago and now be mad that we are not taking a qb at the top of the draft.

This is what you asked for.

Why can't I?  AR8 is a 40 year old QB coming off a major injury and ZW isn't coming back.  We might have a top 5 pick and this is supposed to be a QB heavy draft.  As Jerry Glanville once said, "the NFL stands for 'Not For Long'".

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'm tired of rooting for the draft
... It doesn't really matter.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Of course it matters. 

Being frustrated (as we all surely are at this stage) doesn;t change the vital importance of the draft.

I just enjoy the pre-draft bants of "this guy is tots the next (insert star name here) QB".  Folks are just so sure the guy they like is great, and the hyperbole about that greatness blots out the sun.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If this was a real organization 100% the first pick is a qb. There is no doubt. But this is the jets…..

so the theory that jd needs to start winning to save his future has merit and the pick will be an OT or WR i am certain

then we will have a slightly improved oline and old man rodgers will play just ok before getting injures and we will watch boyle take over and enjoy another lost season

meanwhile the qb we could have taken with ball out

you know this is 100% how its going down

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You cannot have wanted Aaron Rodgers 10 months ago and now be mad that we are not taking a qb at the top of the draft.

Yes you can.

If ar played well and didn't get hurt like a feeble senior citizen then you would be correct

the situation has taken a bad turn. We put all our eggs in the ar basket and could not have been screwed over worse than this

20 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Um you dont think were heading for a reset??????

It feels like we're heading for a reset in slow motion.  As in we have to wait until after next year before we can actually reset.  Except we don't know if there will be QBs available to us next year, but it sure seems like there will be this year.  If we can get a potential FQB in here (to sit 1-2 years behind AR8) then I'll feel much better about this team going forward.  Then again, if JD is gone after next year then the next regime might not like that QB.  That's yet another reason to do a full reset now.  But AR8 is still here so...

The Jets are in a very tough spot right now.

19 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

What makes you think JD can select a non bust OL? What faith do you have that this coaching staff can actually develop an OL? Might as well draft a kid who has a chance to be a star. 

Gotta be Daniels 

Oh damn has AVT reached bust status already?  Damn, I must have missed that memo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

lol wait, HWHAT?  This went hand in hand with wanting Rodgers.  Only difference is, fans didn't expect us to have a 1st this year.  The PLAN was 100% to develop a Zach replacement while Rodgers was still here.  Whether it's Daniels, a 3rd or 4th rounder, or a kid in 2025 - this team WILL have to draft a QB.  Only question is whether or not Woody lets JD do it or if they delay that pick for the new regime next year...if it comes to that.  

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, dcJet said:

No way JD takes a QB early.  It has to be OL or WR.

However, if we extend JD for another 6 years, then...

If JD does not draft OL with his first round pick, I say now and for the record, he should be SHlT-CANNED on the spot.  In FA there is only one or two quality OTs

Here are the FA OT's.  The only two that might be viable considering age and ability are Johan Williams and Austin Jackson,  Since the Jets need TWO new staring OT's they better drat one high.  And it better be Joe Alt if he is there.

1) Jonah Williams
2) Mike Onwenu
3) Mehki Becton
4) Austin Jackson

5) Tyron Smith
6) Trent Brown
7) Donovan Smith

😎 Yosh Nijman
9) Josh Jones
10) George Fant

As far as WR.  They can do two things.

1. Trade a 2025 draft pick for Devanta Adams

2. Pay BIG money for T. Higgins.

If they go with Higgins, they get a younger player and keep their draft picks.  Then, they can trade the number one pick in 2025 to move back up into the first round to nab another top player.  Perhaps hit a home run by also getting TE Brock Bowers along with Joe Alt.

Remember... Both JD and Saleh (THEY ARE NOT GETTING FIRED) are going to be on their last leg and they will GLADLY mortgage the 2025 draft for success in 2024.

Drafting a QB early in 2024 is not going to happen.  If the are smart and scout well, they can get a QB in round two in 2025 or later rounds this year for a talented prospect that needs to be developed.  Remember  Brock Purdy was Mr. tail end Charlie.  If you are on the ball, you can find a QB outside of round one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why can't I?  AR8 is a 40 year old QB coming off a major injury and ZW isn't coming back.  We might have a top 5 pick and this is supposed to be a QB heavy draft.  As Jerry Glanville once said, "the NFL stands for 'Not For Long'".

Who should we draft? What QB? Just saying. Throwing out 'we must draft a QB' without being clear on who and what the plan is to develop said QB is silly, IMO. Declaring that 'we will not have another chance to draft a QB this high' is also silly. The top two QBs are almost guaranteed to be gone. Then there is a big drop off. And the rest of the group (including J.Daniels) are reaches or developmental. And Daniels, a project running QB, might even go ahead of the Jets depending on where they end up picking. Then what?? We taking Nix or McCarthy 8th overall? Are you sure about that?  

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

If this was a real organization 100% the first pick is a qb. There is no doubt. But this is the jets…..

so the theory that jd needs to start winning to save his future has merit and the pick will be an OT or WR i am certain

then we will have a slightly improved oline and old man rodgers will play just ok before getting injures and we will watch boyle take over and enjoy another lost season

meanwhile the qb we could have taken with ball out

you know this is 100% how its going down

I mean look. We all know what JD needs to do BEFORE the draft. Sign a top tier OT + at min. a decent veteran OT who can start or be a solid backup (if we are letting go of Becton), a quality QB2, and add another WR to complement GW (we re all drooling at the idea of D.Adams coming to NY but it doesn't have to be him). I mean, those are the TOP priorities. That and re-sign Huff or retain as much of this defense as possible.  

So BEFORE the draft starts we will know if the o-line is vastly or only slightly improved, if Boyle will be taking over or a quality backup (if Rodgers gets hurt), and if we will have a considerably more dangerous offense with the likes of D.Adams.  

Assuming JD checks the majority of those boxes in FA BEFORE the draft, he will have the flexibility to go in a number of directions once the draft rolls around. I think it is a NO BRAINER we go offense. Depending on where we pick and who is there, WR, OT, QB, TE, or trade down may all make the MOST sense. It just depends on so many factors.

A REAL organization would assess these factors and make a selection based on them. Taking a QB just to take a QB because, lets say Rodgers is old and Zach sucks, is pretty dumb. You only take a QB if the guy you really like is there. Or you go up and get the guy you really like. 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think there's a chance he could be the #2 pick (over Drake Maye).  I could easily see him going in the top 4 though (with MHJ as the lone non-QB in that group).  Even if a team doesn't need him, there's an excellent chance some other team will want to trade up.

The Jets badly need to lose out.  We'll probably win this week though. (Not because we're any good but just because it'll benefit us to lose out).

There's also a decent chance he ends up being the best QB in this class.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Who should we draft? What QB? Just saying. Throwing out 'we must draft a QB' without being clear on who and what the plan is to develop said QB is silly, IMO. Declaring that 'we will not have another chance to draft a QB this high' is also silly. The top two QBs are almost guaranteed to be gone. Then there is a big drop off. And the rest of the group (including J.Daniels) are reaches or developmental. And Daniels, a project running QB, might even go ahead of the Jets depending on where they end up picking. Then what?? We taking Nix or McCarthy 8th overall? Are you sure about that?  

I mean look. We all know what JD needs to do BEFORE the draft. Sign a top tier OT + at min. a decent veteran OT who can start or be a solid backup (if we are letting go of Becton), a quality QB2, and add another WR to complement GW (we re all drooling at the idea of D.Adams coming to NY but it doesn't have to be him). I mean, those are the TOP priorities. That and re-sign Huff or retain as much of this defense as possible.  

So BEFORE the draft starts we will know if the o-line is vastly or only slightly improved, if Boyle will be taking over or a quality backup (if Rodgers gets hurt), and if we will have a considerably more dangerous offense with the likes of D.Adams.  

Assuming JD checks the majority of those boxes in FA BEFORE the draft, he will have the flexibility to go in a number of directions once the draft rolls around. I think it is a NO BRAINER we go offense. Depending on where we pick and who is there, WR, OT, QB, TE, or trade down may all make the MOST sense. It just depends on so many factors.

A REAL organization would assess these factors and make a selection based on them. Taking a QB just to take a QB because, lets say Rodgers is old and Zach sucks, is pretty dumb. You only take a QB if the guy you really like is there. Or you go up and get the guy you really like. 

I'm thinking Jayden Daniels, if we're in a position to draft him.  And I wouldn't play him his first year anyway (maybe for 2 years, depending on AR8), so his need for development would work perfectly within our timeline.

22 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is a 0% chance we are taking a qb in round 1.

Accept it Jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You all wanted Rodgers.  Therefore, no Jayden Daniels.

Aaron Rodgers is 40.  Zach is a bust. We absolutely need to draft a qb