Jayden Daniels declares for draft

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we are truly going all in with Rodgers for 1 or 2 years....I'm not so sure Rodgers wants rookies blocking on the OL. It the last 5-10 years it has taken OL longer to develop in the pros and are not the plug and play players that they used to be.

If there is a scenario where we upgrade the OL and add a WR in free agency / trades pre-draft, I could see the Jets taking a QB in the 1st. But we would have to really have a perfect free agency to do that and not having Rodgers retire on the spot.

Try one more time bringing in Rodgers cronies? (Bahktari and Davante) could bring those 2 guys in and then take a QB with the 1st pick. Who knows what’s gonna happen but there’s a million different ways they can go this offseason. I feel like the best pick for this team long term would be Daniels 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we are truly going all in with Rodgers for 1 or 2 years....I'm not so sure Rodgers wants rookies blocking on the OL. It the last 5-10 years it has taken OL longer to develop in the pros and are not the plug and play players that they used to be.

If there is a scenario where we upgrade the OL and add a WR in free agency / trades pre-draft, I could see the Jets taking a QB in the 1st. But we would have to really have a perfect free agency to do that and not having Rodgers retire on the spot.

The only problem I have with your post is I don’t give a sh*t what Rodgers thinks. He’s already proven he can’t evaluate players. If he wants to walk away fro $50-60 mil because he’s unhappy? 
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If JD had done the right thing and drafted more OL in the last 4 years we might not be in this situation of still needing OL. He did draft them, but not smartly. Now we need a QB and have no OL to protect him. This is the year seeing we are drafting high again to pick the one, but it won't happen because we have other needs as well. Once again, build the OL and the wins will come.

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Try one more time bringing in Rodgers cronies? (Bahktari and Davante) could bring those 2 guys in and then take a QB with the 1st pick. Who knows what’s gonna happen but there’s a million different ways they can go this offseason. I feel like the best pick for this team long term would be Daniels 

I agree and I honestly don't think with a great free agency + taking OT in the first (and he is an immediate stud) would = Super Bowl for us.

I just don't think we'll have a legit shot Our offense is a mess and this will take AT LEAST 2 off-seasons to correct in a way that impacts wins and losses.

Chances are under a year or two of AR8 we won't be picking top 10 again for a while. Free agency is meant to fix voids and draft is BPA.

Take Daniels (if he's even there) whenever we pick + attack free agency in 2024 and 2025 and go all in with Rodgers as long as he's here then hand over the team to Daniels.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This is a slam dunk yes if he’s available when we’re on the clock. But our gutless and brainless front offense will 10000% go OL. I’ll be genuinely shocked if they have the stones to go QB. 

Nothing in this league matters until you get QB right. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Nobody on this board is a bigger Mayfield fan than I am. We missed the boat when we could’ve signed him last year like I said.

He isn’t coming here in ‘24 to sit behind Rodgers. This was his “prove you’re the starter we saw in Cleveland” year,  and he’s proving he still is.

It's absolutely unlikely to happen. But would you be more comfortable with this then them drafting another Qb?

3 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

It's absolutely unlikely to happen. But would you be more comfortable with this then them drafting another Qb?

I mean what’s long term plan for the QB position on this team? Rodgers is going to be 41 next year coming off an Achilles 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

If JD had done the right thing and drafted more OL in the last 4 years we might not be in this situation of still needing OL. He did draft them, but not smartly. Now we need a QB and have no OL to protect him. This is the year seeing we are drafting high again to pick the one, but it won't happen because we have other needs as well. Once again, build the OL and the wins will come.

The OL is NOT about the players. Until we realize this and fundamentally change our approach to OL it will never ever improve

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

It's absolutely unlikely to happen. But would you be more comfortable with this than them drafting another Qb?

Mayfield has always been my favorite player in the NFL, but I’d go with one of the top 3 QBs.
Mayfield is a better QB now than a 41yo Rodgers will be, but we fudged that up last offseason and we’re stuck with AR next year.
Might as well let a kid sit and learn.

I hope TB signs Baker to a nice long term deal and he finally gets to be in a stable organization.

28 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If Caleb, Maye or Daniels are there and we go OL, I’m done with this god forsaken franchise.

This board wakes up in the middle of the night mumbling “we gotta go OL in the 1st”. Just get a freaking QB who can sit behind Rodgers for a year and learn while Aaron takes the ass kicking he deserves for bringing his band of misfits here with him.

Hire a good OL coach before you keep wasting high picks on papier-mâché guys like Becton and AVT then develop the Warren’s instead like good teams do. Edoga sucked here, now he’s starting on a great team.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean what’s long term plan for the QB position on this team? Rodgers is going to be 41 next year coming off an Achilles 

I would look at a good backup for next year then draft a Qb the next year. We have no idea who the Gm and coaches will be after next season.  This team needs a guy who can manage games. This team fixes the oline they can win now. They need a guy if forced into duty can get 17 to 21 points. 

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Imagine continuing to make moves to placate old ass Rodgers. How’s that worked out?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

The OL is NOT about the players. Until we realize this and fundamentally change our approach to OL it will never ever improve

ok, who is it about ?   Because the last I checked, players, play the game, not the coaches. Coaches are important, but the players are as, if not more. Look at Beli as the perfect example. Has he somehow forgotten how to coach ? It's the players... and always will be. they make coaches look good, not the other way around. Just ask TB and Beli... 

If the Jets are in position to draft a franchise quarterback, they really should do so.

Yes, the OL needs to be completely revamped.  It's going to be a multi-year and multi-faceted process.

Yes, Rodgers is still on the roster.  I think the Jets would be foolish to move forward under the assumption that a 40 year old Rodgers one year removed from a major Achilles injury and missing an entire season is in any way a reliable answer at the quarterback position.  It hurts, but it's the truth.

Do not pass up a franchise quarterback.  For any reason.

Now the question is are any of these guys true franchise quarterbacks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

ok, who is it about ?   Because the last I checked, players, play the game, not the coaches. Coaches are important, but the players are as, if not more. Look at Beli as the perfect example. Has he somehow forgotten how to coach ? It's the players... and always will be. they make coaches look good, not the other way around. Just ask TB and Beli... 

It is fundamentally about consistency and health. The OL is a unit and 5 mediocre players that play 16 games together will outplay lines with 1 or 2 great players but frequent rotation at others. They need to learn to work together anticipate and adjust,

Our approach to OL makes that very very difficult to happen.

We are very insistent on running the "Shanahan" offense and zone blocking schemes. It can be great if you have consistency but an absolute scourge if you dont. Also it requires higher athleticism so breaks down fast with change.

We consistently have more OL injuries than almost anyone else. We are so consistently bad at this that it has to be systemic. 

Our OL coaching is abysmal.

Our GM wants to hit home runs with his OL picks. If he had just been conservative with his approach he would have taken Wirfs, not reached for AVT and taken Darrisaw and taken Creed Humphrey.

There is too much evidence that our field causes injury.

Players are not going to succeed in the structure we have know.

To have a good OL we need to look at changing our blocking scheme, changing the coaching, changing the physical training approach and employees, changing the field and stop devoting so many resources in home run type of players.

Build solid depth and a group of players that can consistently play togerher.

For now focus on having a "good" OL.

Then the players can matter.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Sign Baker Mayfield as the backup telling him he will be the starter when Rodgers retires. I don't trust these people picking a qb. He would be good enough with are defense. We need oline players draft and sign.

That would be a great signing.

Won't happen though, someone will give Baker 15-20 after the season he is having, and we won't spend that on a backup.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I think he ends up as the #1 pick when all is said and done. Jets won't have a shot at him once teams get a look at his tape and combine.

I couldn't agree more. He's the most talented QB prospect since Mahomes, and will be an absolute superstar on the right team/system. The sad part is that even if he fell to the Jets they wouldn't take him.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I don’t even care if we fire the fat man or bald head if we can land Daniels , Maye or Caleb. 

It’s QB or we riot, period.

Totally agree - and I think the only way this happens is if JD gets extended or Woody demands it. Otherwise they'll try and plug in yet another OL body and wonder why it won't work. Just sign OL vets and screw another high draft pick. It isn't working. Hire the right OL coach and the players will be fine. It's not all about the players as has already been mentioned. If we didn't think that before, how can we not think that now? Becton - 1st rounder, AVT - 1st rounder, Tippman - high 2nd round, Tomlinson - first round - How is that working out for us?! It cannot just be the players. Coach these guys up and teach them how to be a unit.

• Upvote 2