If the Jets draft Brock Bowers I quit!!!!!!!!!

if Bowers is there he will be the best player available. but isnt that what most of you killed JD for when he picked McDonald last year? interesting.

TE is not a need. Conklin played REALLY good this year. and Ruckurt took a step forward. 

Last year I wanted JSN and this year I want Odunze.

Best T are gone

Nabers gone

I think up to 4 QB picked before we pick

I am picking the best C in round 3 and having Tippy compete with him - the loser is RG (not counting on AVT to be ready Game 1)

I am thinking they will resign Becton and AR will help make that happen while also signing another T in FA

On 1/11/2024 at 9:43 AM, JustInFudge said:

He is and he will, 100%

I can respect your conviction on this.

While I disagree I felt the same about Mahomes.

We usually agree on these things, I truly hope you can tell me and everyone else I told you so (especially if the Jets draft him).

Need my Co GM by side when the Jets realize we could do it better 😂 

7 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Last year I wanted JSN and this year I want Odunze.

Best T are gone

Nabers gone

I think up to 4 QB picked before we pick

I am picking the best C in round 3 and having Tippy compete with him - the loser is RG (not counting on AVT to be ready Game 1)

I am thinking they will resign Becton and AR will help make that happen while also signing another T in FA

There's definitely a scenario where a LT drops to us.  That said the safe play would be to address OT in FA.  Even if it's bringing back Becton and signing Bakhtiari.  If we get lucky and Alt or Olu drop to us, neither of those guys should prevent you from drafting him.  Bounce Becton to the bench as a semi-expensive 1 year swing tackle or start Olu or Alt at LG, sliding them to LT if/when Bakhtiari goes down.  

That would be my strategy, at least.  I think Becton would be a solid RT actually.  From there I'm on board with a short-term LT.  Worst case Alt/Olu are gone and you can continue grooming Warren for that spot.  If he doesn't progress, you can look to solve that spot long-term in the 2025 draft or in free agency(assuming it's a better class).  Use your 10th overall on a weapon, or maybe even a QB depending on how the board shakes out.  

It's shaping up like either one of the LTs, Bowers, or Odunze will be there for us at 10(with the outside chance a miracle happens and Nabers or one of the top 3 QBs slip to us).  I'd consider all of those guys elite prospects, and I don't think I'd pass on any of them for a RT.  Even Bowers.  I'm pretty confident we could find a solid long-term RT between pick 20-32 next year even if we bounce back.  I'm less confident in us being able to find a weapon like Odunze or Bowers in that range next year.  I get drafting for need, but these guys DO happen to fill a need...we need more weapons on offense as much as we need OL help.  Take the best prospect.  

....but yeah, adding the franchise LT would be the best-case scenario IMO.  

7 hours ago, bonkertons said:

There's definitely a scenario where a LT drops to us.  That said the safe play would be to address OT in FA.  Even if it's bringing back Becton and signing Bakhtiari.  If we get lucky and Alt or Olu drop to us, neither of those guys should prevent you from drafting him.  Bounce Becton to the bench as a semi-expensive 1 year swing tackle or start Olu or Alt at LG, sliding them to LT if/when Bakhtiari goes down.  

That would be my strategy, at least.  I think Becton would be a solid RT actually.  From there I'm on board with a short-term LT.  Worst case Alt/Olu are gone and you can continue grooming Warren for that spot.  If he doesn't progress, you can look to solve that spot long-term in the 2025 draft or in free agency(assuming it's a better class).  Use your 10th overall on a weapon, or maybe even a QB depending on how the board shakes out.  

It's shaping up like either one of the LTs, Bowers, or Odunze will be there for us at 10(with the outside chance a miracle happens and Nabers or one of the top 3 QBs slip to us).  I'd consider all of those guys elite prospects, and I don't think I'd pass on any of them for a RT.  Even Bowers.  I'm pretty confident we could find a solid long-term RT between pick 20-32 next year even if we bounce back.  I'm less confident in us being able to find a weapon like Odunze or Bowers in that range next year.  I get drafting for need, but these guys DO happen to fill a need...we need more weapons on offense as much as we need OL help.  Take the best prospect.  

....but yeah, adding the franchise LT would be the best-case scenario IMO.  

I would definitely take one of Alt/Olu/Nabers over Odunze if they fell for sure and there is a possibility of either Alt or Nabers will.  As far as QB, I don't see them entertaining selecting any QB in 1st round even if fell in their lap unless ownership step in and make them.  JD and Saleh are lame ducks and they need immediate impact player so if it up to them they will not obviously unless ownership added 4 years to their contracts or something.

But no matter what happens here my bet is they will have already signed at least 2 FA T's before we even get to the draft which would not stop them from taking Alt if there as he can be LG.  However, if that doesn't happen they will roll with Laken and IMO if they do that they need to solidify the interior C and RG positions.  Hopefully, they will be able to trade up into the 2nd round and get a guy like Beebe or the Center from Oregon, if/when AVT comes back maybe he can unseat the useless Laken.

On 1/12/2024 at 1:46 PM, T0mShane said:

Are we ignoring the fact that Bowers has been beaten to sh*t in the SEC and already has a pretty thick injury history? 

What is this thick injury history?  He missed games this year but didnt miss any the prior 2 seasons.  Not sure where this is coming from?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, doitny said:

if Bowers is there he will be the best player available. but isnt that what most of you killed JD for when he picked McDonald last year? interesting.

TE is not a need. Conklin played REALLY good this year. and Ruckurt took a step forward. 

Conklin and Ruckert combined for 0 TD's this season.  0.   I dont know that I called the, "really good". 

7 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Conklin and Ruckert combined for 0 TD's this season.  0.   I dont know that I called the, "really good". 

As a team they combined for 11 TDs worst in league dont think all that falls on the TEs.  No doubt Bowers be an upgrade but that upgrade is desperately needed elsewhere.  I also think that Bowers may test well at combine but no enough to be "generational".  I also see him as a tweener and super risky 10th pick.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I can respect your conviction on this.

While I disagree I felt the same about Mahomes.

We usually agree on these things, I truly hope you can tell me and everyone else I told you so (especially if the Jets draft him).

Need my Co GM by side when the Jets realize we could do it better 😂 

I got to be honest, I'm reading this thread and legit amazed at the ridiculous takes being thrown around here but it is what is, I'm very comfortable battling the board (just like we did w/ Watson and Mahomes) and going against the grain, because I'm not sure if you've noticed or not but this is kind of my thing, I rarely get it wrong....my necro, told you so history is stellar but honestly, this one wont even be impressive because it's the biggest duh, in years.  

I will leave this thought because this thread is approaching this territory; people create really stupid ideas of how your supposed to draft every year and none of it holds any water ie; dont draft his QB from this school because history says!!!  Yeah, well, that's ******* moronic and stupid and lazy and why you would have passed on CJ Stroud.  These "rules" are stupid and its why team **** up the draft ever year. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, doitny said:

13 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

There was a point early this year where I thought Conklin was playing well (he would bully his way for extra yardage) but then he kind of melded into the background.  He definitely wasn't a difference maker and he scored 0 TDs.  Plus how long is Conklin going to even be here?  Ruckert is a good blocker but he wasn't really used much as a pass catcher.  

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

As a team they combined for 11 TDs worst in league dont think all that falls on the TEs.  No doubt Bowers be an upgrade but that upgrade is desperately needed elsewhere.  I also think that Bowers may test well at combine but no enough to be "generational".  I also see him as a tweener and super risky 10th pick.

I didnt say it did but to define a season as "great" when you failed to help the team score, TD, just doesnt seem accurate. 

And sorry but you need to understand a little more about Bowers...he's arguably the safest pick in the draft after Marvin Harrison Jr.

I don't watch a ton of college football but I do know the hype around Bowers.  And I'd say that adding more weapinzz is a huge need this offseason.  I don't see why it's a big deal if we add a receiving threat who is a TE, as opposed to one who is a WR.  If we can add a superstar TE, that would also set us up nicely going forward if we can bring in a star WR2 next offseason (to add to GW and BrBo).

Plus, we should still be able to add a couple of decent FA WRs this year just to get us through the season.  If we're able to add a solid WR2 to pair with GW and BrBo, we should be okay as far as our starters go.   (We'd still need to add a solid WR3 too, imo).

I don't know if Bowers is "generational", but he's probably the best TE prospect to ever enter the draft.  Maybe that makes him generational, or maybe he has to prove that his production can translate to the NFL first.  All I know is he's a dude with a TE body with the hands, route running ability and speed of a WR, along with the elusiveness of a finesse back and the physicality of a power back.   He's so much more than "oh he plays tight end...we don't need one of those".  He's an elite weapon, and we need elite weapons.

Really the only knock on him I can see is that he's 2 inches short of being the perfect prospect.  I'm not sure if we shouldn't draft him because he's not the perfect prospect.  Ideally yes, Alt or Olu or Nabers or Odunze are there and this decision is an easy one.  I'll admit there should be some conversation between Bowers vs Fuaga or a trade down, if that's how the board plays out.  I'd still lean Bowers though, since ideally we aren't picking this high again for a long time, and typically prospects like Bowers aren't guys you'll be able to draft when you're picking in playoff team range.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I don't know if Bowers is "generational", but he's probably the best TE prospect to ever enter the draft.  Maybe that makes him generational, or maybe he has to prove that his production can translate to the NFL first.  All I know is he's a dude with a TE body with the hands, route running ability and speed of a WR, along with the elusiveness of a finesse back and the physicality of a power back.   He's so much more than "oh he plays tight end...we don't need one of those".  He's an elite weapon, and we need elite weapons.

Really the only knock on him I can see is that he's 2 inches short of being the perfect prospect.  I'm not sure if we shouldn't draft him because he's not the perfect prospect.  Ideally yes, Alt or Olu or Nabers or Odunze are there and this decision is an easy one.  I'll admit there should be some conversation between Bowers vs Fuaga or a trade down, if that's how the board plays out.  I'd still lean Bowers though, since ideally we aren't picking this high again for a long time, and typically prospects like Bowers aren't guys you'll be able to draft when you're picking in playoff team range.  

I would love for Bowers to be a Jets but not at the expense of getting another WR to pair with GW or potential FLT

23 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I would love for Bowers to be a Jets but not at the expense of getting another WR to pair with GW or potential FLT

I think LT has to be the priority but I don't see why it's such a big deal to take Bowers over a WR.  A potential superstar TE over a solid WR2 seems like a good idea to me.  I think there are probably usually some decent WRs available in FA.

And you also have to think of the following:

OPTION A:

GW, solid WR2 in FA, Bowers

OPTION B:

GW, Odunze, Conklin

Which is the better starting group on the whole?   I'd think there's a good case to be made for option A.  

Another thing to think about is how easy it is to fill a position.  It feels like there are good WRs every year that can be gotten in the middle of the 1st round.  While there have been some very good TEs in recent years, it feels to me like that's an exception (maybe I'm wrong?)

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think LT has to be the priority but I don't see why it's such a big deal to take Bowers over a WR.  A potential superstar TE over a solid WR2 seems like a good idea to me.  I think there are probably usually some decent WRs available in FA.

And you also have to think of the following:

OPTION A:

GW, solid WR2 in FA, Bowers

OPTION B:

GW, Odunze, Conklin

Which is the better starting group on the whole?   I'd think there's a good case to be made for option A.  

Another thing to think about is how easy it is to fill a position.  It feels like there are good WRs every year that can be gotten in the middle of the 1st round.  While there have been some very good TEs in recent years, it feels to me like that's an exception (maybe I'm wrong?)

Comparing Option A to B from TE perspective

- On running downs how much will Bowers be improvement over Conklin

- On Passing downs Bowers is better but Conklin not going anywhere so they will split downs

- Overall the addition of Bowers to room may have little impact to offense especially in win now 1st year

Comparing Option A to B from WR perspective

- Finding FA WR has been pretty hard for the Jets and have failed miserably under JD

- A good FA WR wont come cheap and the really good ones dont want to come to the Jets

- Nabers/Obunze may end up making GW a WR2

5 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Conklin was 11th in TE receptions this year. he had 4 less than Kittle. and had a 70% catch rate.

there were no TDs because we had a QB who couldnt find the endzone if you drew him a map. 

we had 11 TDs. Hall a RB lead this team with 4 Reception TDs. thats how sad Zach was. so i cant kill Conklin for not catching any. 

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

The height can’t be the only knock. The weight is a probably a bigger knock than the height. Position is a knock too.

And I think evaluating his college production as a top of the draft offensive skill player is at the very least complicated.

None of that means you can’t take him, but I question calling his height the only knock.

I’d also add that I’d guess at the combine he’ll show speed that’d be average at best for a WR and agility that’d be below average for a WR and/or an elusive back. 

I could see the hype a little if you think he’s got those traits (and the production was better) but the Feldman freaks article which is always a puff piece has him as a guy in the 4.5’s with a 36” vert and I don’t see WR/RB start/stop ability. And he’s a tight end so it’s not a knock he doesn’t start/stop like someone 30 pounds lighter. I just don’t think that reasonably belongs in the pros column (and I could be proven wrong there).

Again, not a reason you can’t take him. Just seems like his tools are going to get overhyped until he goes to the combine and has a good not great workout which will be followed with “but he’s a good football player”. Which he is. I think it’s more ceiling question than floor question for him.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2024 at 2:04 PM, doitny said:

JD shouldn’t be the one making the pick

JD shouldn’t be the one making the pick

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, derp said:

The height can’t be the only knock. The weight is a probably a bigger knock than the height. Position is a knock too.

And I think evaluating his college production as a top of the draft offensive skill player is at the very least complicated.

None of that means you can’t take him, but I question calling his height the only knock.

I’d also add that I’d guess at the combine he’ll show speed that’d be average at best for a WR and agility that’d be below average for a WR and/or an elusive back. 

I could see the hype a little if you think he’s got those traits (and the production was better) but the Feldman freaks article which is always a puff piece has him as a guy in the 4.5’s with a 36” vert and I don’t see WR/RB start/stop ability. And he’s a tight end so it’s not a knock he doesn’t start/stop like someone 30 pounds lighter. I just don’t think that reasonably belongs in the pros column (and I could be proven wrong there).

Again, not a reason you can’t take him. Just seems like his tools are going to get overhyped until he goes to the combine and has a good not great workout which will be followed with “but he’s a good football player”. Which he is. I think it’s more ceiling question than floor question for him.

His 40 time is actually league average for a WR.  That's my point though, for a TE to be as fast as the average receiver is pretty damn impressive, IMO.  Not sure how you measure agility, I just know what the tape shows me, and he moves unlike any TE I've ever seen.  He's in a tier by himself when it comes to making guys miss, and when you combine that with his yard-after-contact ability, it's easy to see the upside this kid has.  In reality he's a security blanket who has the ability to turn 10 yard chain movers into touchdowns.  The value that brings - again, if you think his play will translate into the NFL, is immeasurable. 

...and yeah as far as his weight, I just don't see it.  He's listed as the same height and weight as Dalton Kincaid(who is 3 years older).  He's an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Jeremy Ruckert.  I just don't see his measurables being an issue at all.  If he fails in the NFL though I highly doubt it'll be because of his build.  His build might prevent him from being an elite run blocker, but to be fair that wouldn't be why we're drafting him 10th overall, and even then he should still be a pretty good one.  

46 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

His 40 time is actually league average for a WR.  That's my point though, for a TE to be as fast as the average receiver is pretty damn impressive, IMO.  Not sure how you measure agility, I just know what the tape shows me, and he moves unlike any TE I've ever seen.  He's in a tier by himself when it comes to making guys miss, and when you combine that with his yard-after-contact ability, it's easy to see the upside this kid has.  In reality he's a security blanket who has the ability to turn 10 yard chain movers into touchdowns.  The value that brings - again, if you think his play will translate into the NFL, is immeasurable. 

...and yeah as far as his weight, I just don't see it.  He's listed as the same height and weight as Dalton Kincaid(who is 3 years older).  He's an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Jeremy Ruckert.  I just don't see his measurables being an issue at all.  If he fails in the NFL though I highly doubt it'll be because of his build.  His build might prevent him from being an elite run blocker, but to be fair that wouldn't be why we're drafting him 10th overall, and even then he should still be a pretty good one.  

We’ll see how he runs, 4.5’s would put him in a wide range that probably tops out as average for a WR - and that’s if he actually lands in the 4.5’s. It’s good for a tight end but it’s nothing crazy.

Honestly, Pitts moved more like a receiver than Bowers does. He has a little make you miss but it’s not running back wiggle, and yards after contact too. But I think doing that at 240 in college is different than doing it at 240 in the NFL - and that’s if he’s up to 240, he was listed at 230 prior to this year.

Even at 240 he’d be as light as any tight end who did anything notable this year. None lighter than that, Evan Engram is 240. It was a question for Kincaid too. Doesn’t make him undraftable, but it puts him at the very low end of the spectrum of players at his position. Being at the low end size wise again, doesn’t make you not worth taking, but it’s still a knock.

19 minutes ago, derp said:

We’ll see how he runs, 4.5’s would put him in a wide range that probably tops out as average for a WR - and that’s if he actually lands in the 4.5’s. It’s good for a tight end but it’s nothing crazy.

Honestly, Pitts moved more like a receiver than Bowers does. He has a little make you miss but it’s not running back wiggle, and yards after contact too. But I think doing that at 240 in college is different than doing it at 240 in the NFL - and that’s if he’s up to 240, he was listed at 230 prior to this year.

Even at 240 he’d be as light as any tight end who did anything notable this year. None lighter than that, Evan Engram is 240. It was a question for Kincaid too. Doesn’t make him undraftable, but it puts him at the very low end of the spectrum of players at his position. Being at the low end size wise again, doesn’t make you not worth taking, but it’s still a knock.

Pitts has always been an oversized WR, so it's not surprising he moves more like a wideout.  Then again I don't think either of us want a Kyle Pitts at 10th overall.  The rest is all speculative IMO.  Maybe he's slightly lighter, maybe some other NFL guys are slightly lighter.  Regardless they are all in that same range.  It hasn't stopped these guys from having success at the NFL level, so I'm not sure why it would stop Bowers.  And yeah he's not Vernon Davis fast for a TE but 4.48 is still what I'd consider elite range for a TE - especially one with his build.  You're right though, we'll see what he runs at the Combine.

Honestly though the more time passes, the more I think MHJr goes to NE, Arizona takes Nabers, and the Chargers take Bowers at 5.  I highly doubt we'll need to debate whether or not to take him because I highly doubt he'll be there when we pick.  He'll be a player though, especially if he goes to LAC.  Herbert will make him a star.    

On 1/11/2024 at 4:34 PM, Jack Straw said:

Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, and Dustin Keller will do that to you.

Struck it rich with Mickey Shuler in the third round (a proper round for a TE) and ancient history but Jerome Barkum was the rare example of a first round (12th pick) that worked out for the Jets.

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Pitts has always been an oversized WR, so it's not surprising he moves more like a wideout.  Then again I don't think either of us want a Kyle Pitts at 10th overall.  The rest is all speculative IMO.  Maybe he's slightly lighter, maybe some other NFL guys are slightly lighter.  Regardless they are all in that same range.  It hasn't stopped these guys from having success at the NFL level, so I'm not sure why it would stop Bowers.  And yeah he's not Vernon Davis fast for a TE but 4.48 is still what I'd consider elite range for a TE - especially one with his build.  You're right though, we'll see what he runs at the Combine.

Honestly though the more time passes, the more I think MHJr goes to NE, Arizona takes Nabers, and the Chargers take Bowers at 5.  I highly doubt we'll need to debate whether or not to take him because I highly doubt he'll be there when we pick.  He'll be a player though, especially if he goes to LAC.  Herbert will make him a star.    

Yup, we’ll see. After a puff piece said he runs in the 4.5’s and he’s out on some weight I’d be surprised if he runs a 4.48 but yeah, that would be elite range for a TE.

Most NFL guys are 245-255 so I think he’s still below the normal range, but I think him being light for a tight end will be easier to demonstrate once there are actual measurements.

I think he’s there at ten, but we’ll see. It’ll be an interesting career to follow. I think he’ll be a useful pro but I’m still not sold on the upside in that top ten range.

No thanks to another "can't miss" top 10 TE.. I remember Kellen Winslow Jr and I remember Kyle Brady. TEs are a crap shoot no matter how hyped the player is. I think we already have a solid TE room going into next season... Just need a blocking TE3 to replace CJ.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 1/10/2024 at 1:28 PM, Lupz27 said:

Kyle Pitts was supposed to be that guy, he isn’t and NO TE drafted high was ever worth it (Top 15).

WR’s are 1000000000x more valuable and their are 3 studs minimum.

ENOUGH WITH THE BROCK BOWERS TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC0CAB30-B143-4441-85A9-400153814E9D.gif.52b9110529bbc7b3e400ad3b7dbe8a92.gif

Look, i'm not going to argue with anyone feeling like we have bigger needs than TE... 

But I will throw down at the next dbag who tries to drag Kyle Pitts through the trash as though that fcking mess in ATL is somehow an indication of proof against the value of the position. Get wrecked. 

Bowers is currently better than Conklin and Ruckert. If the issue is Conklin then you trade Conklin for 3rd rounder and be happy that you have a 3rd rounder and Bowers instead of Conklin.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Bowers is currently better than Conklin and Ruckert. If the issue is Conklin then you trade Conklin for 3rd rounder and be happy that you have a 3rd rounder and Bowers instead of Conklin.

lol like they would be able to pull that off

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

If you can trade Conklin for a third rounder you do that Bowers or not.

2 hours ago, derp said:

If you can trade Conklin for a third rounder you do that Bowers or not.

I do wonder where his actual value lies. I assume between a third and fourth rounder. We gave Herndon for a fourth. I imagine Conklin will fetch more.