If the Jets draft Brock Bowers I quit!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Crazy talk. This is LaPorta:

IMG_4954.jpeg

We all know you and I loved LaPorta all through the draft process.

Bowers has a far better track record as a weapon.  LaPorta might be a better blocker , not sure but Bowers is a step ahead of him as a weapon.

BUT only if a team is smart and recognizes it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We all know you and I loved LaPorta all through the draft process.

Bowers has a far better track record as a weapon.  LaPorta might be a better blocker , not sure but Bowers is a step ahead of him as a weapon.

BUT only if a team is smart and recognizes it.

LaPorta played at Iowa where he was the only weapon!

Here's a first/novelty moment....

So, outside of Bowers, i could care less about this TE class b/c I'm 100% committed to Ruckert next year - so I've not taken even a peek.. and so here I am rewatching Texas games to revisit some WRs and i'm like - who the eff is this Mutant #0... Must be a TE.... God he looks good... OK, this dude is the real deal, who is he? A sophmore?... is he ranked in this draft class?... lol turns out he's #2 behind Bowers.  "Oh...."

You'd think after watching so many Ewers games i'd remember 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Here's a first/novelty moment....

So, outside of Bowers, i could care less about this TE class b/c I'm 100% committed to Ruckert next year - so I've not taken even a peek.. and so here I am rewatching Texas games to revisit some WRs and i'm like - who the eff is this Mutant #0... Must be a TE.... God he looks good... OK, this dude is the real deal, who is he? A sophmore?... is he ranked in this draft class?... lol turns out he's #2 behind Bowers.  "Oh...."

You'd think after watching so many Ewers games i'd remember 🤷‍♂️

Sanders would be a nice option.

I love Ruckert too but I'm past the point of believing this coaching staff can develop a player.

If they get anything out of him this year it's 100% because of Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Sanders would be a nice option.

I love Ruckert too but I'm past the point of believing this coaching staff can develop a player.

If they get anything out of him this year it's 100% because of Rodgers.

Ja'Tavion Sanders deep TD catch.MOV

Yea its beyond disturbing how poorly the Jets track on things like developing our players, maximizing our FA signings, etc

Pathetic really

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Yea its beyond disturbing how poorly the Jets track on things like developing our players, maximizing our FA signings, etc

Pathetic really

I think a big part of the problem is that the coaches wind up in win now mode so quickly they are averse to playing the young guys a lot.  Herm, gase, bowles.  They all follow the same ‘I will play the veterans b/c they’re less likely to embarrass me and i won’t be around when the young guys can contribute anyway’

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think a big part of the problem is that the coaches wind up in win now mode so quickly they are averse to playing the young guys a lot.  Herm, gase, bowles.  They all follow the same ‘I will play the veterans b/c they’re less likely to embarrass me and i won’t be around when the young guys can contribute anyway’

I think Ruckert has definitely been a victim of this, but other than that this regime has been pretty willing to rely heavily on young players.  Garrett and Breece year one.  Tippmann I think sat for like 2 weeks before becoming a full-time starter.  

Overall though I think Ruckert has actually been developing pretty well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a pretty big jump next year, even if we draft Bowers.  I think no matter what they have big plans for him.  If it's Bowers, we'll just be using more 12 and 13 personnel.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think Ruckert has definitely been a victim of this, but other than that this regime has been pretty willing to rely heavily on young players.  Garrett and Breece year one.  Tippmann I think sat for like 2 weeks before becoming a full-time starter.  

Overall though I think Ruckert has actually been developing pretty well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a pretty big jump next year, even if we draft Bowers.  I think no matter what they have big plans for him.  If it's Bowers, we'll just be using more 12 and 13 personnel.  

Right.  I hear this nonsense all time time.  Becton started game one.  Zach started game one.  AVT started game one.  Garrett Wilson started game one.  Breece Hall was 90% of the offense by week 4.  Tippman started by week 3.

The board complains that we don't develop people, but when we treat people as developmental I keep hearing how we are afraid to play younger players.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

It starts out they use the draft picks but look at last year.  They only played tippman bc of other injuries.  They played cook instead of izzy.  They used the 2 veteran TEs most of the time.  They only used the young wrs when there were injuries.  They only used mcdonald at the end.  Saleh could care less about player development.  

On 2/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, Augustiniak said:

It starts out they use the draft picks but look at last year.  They only played tippman bc of other injuries.  They played cook instead of izzy.  They used the 2 veteran TEs most of the time.  They only used the young wrs when there were injuries.  They only used mcdonald at the end.  Saleh could care less about player development.  

I mean, of course they were going to play Cook more than a 5th round rookie.  That's what we all wanted anyway - at least at the start of the year.  As far as Tippmann goes, most of us expected him to take over for McGovern at some point anyway last year, but I suppose it's possible that he never would have played if that didn't happen.  It did happen though, so I'm not sure it matters.  He played early, regardless of the reasons.  Ruckert for sure, like I said, but Ruckert happened to come in right after we signed two pretty expensive TEs.  It was clear that he was always going to be a developmental project.  Uzomah's time is over though, so the door has opened for him.  I mean, TEs typically take longer to adapt to the NFL, so it makes sense that this was their strategy.

The defense has been a different story.  Considering the amount of talent there, it makes sense.  JJ got little playing time year one, as did McDonald.  It worked for JJ, let's see if it works for McDonald as well.  Davis had to pay his dues for years and just finally turned a corner last year.  Really the only guy I can remember during this regime to get starting reps right out of the gate was Sauce.  Either way it seems to be working so I'm not going to complain about how the defense is run.  I'd expect McDonald to get a big bump next year in playing time.  Other than that maybe you'll see a kid drafted this year in the 3rd or 4th get a decent chunk of time assuming it's a DT or LB.  All that said, the offensive side of the ball is where we need highly drafted kids to be able to step in from day one.  We can afford to be patient with the defense considering how strong it is.

I hate being cool about players coming into the draft purely becasue I have ZERO faith in the jets knowing what to do with the player.  But this is the case with Bowers.

It's like our annual having to pass on good olineman becasue they 'do not fit our scheme'

• 2 weeks later...

My sources are telling me that baring him going ahead the 10 spot, the Jets are 100% locked in on Bowers already.  Not even remotely considering anyone else in the draft at this point (unless Nabers or Odunze fall which they dont think will happen) and w/ the way some of the QB's are being heralded, they're confident in Bowers being there at 10 now.   

What I'm hearing is Rodgers has been in big on reviewing what went wrong on offense w/out him and something he noticed is Conklin played 70% of the snaps last year and had zero TD's and less then half of his catches went for first down.  Essentially rendering him completely useless as a route runner and really his only value is being a check down option.   Bowers had more TD's every year in college then Conklin has in his entire career put together in the NFL and this was even when he had Cousins throwing him the ball.  Rodgers is overly confident he'll reach Lazard and get his head out of his ass to return to the player he was in Green Bay and only wants them to add 1 more veteran WR w/ the prize piece being Bowers who they think can score double digit TD's in year 1.  And yes, they're looking at the TE's who played in the championship games and what LaPorta did for the Lions as reason to prioritize TE and feel Bowers is 10x the prospect vs all those dudes. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

My sources are telling me that baring him going ahead the 10 spot, the Jets are 100% locked in on Bowers already.  Not even remotely considering anyone else in the draft at this point (unless Nabers or Odunze fall which they dont think will happen) and w/ the way some of the QB's are being heralded, they're confident in Bowers being there at 10 now.   

What I'm hearing is Rodgers has been in big on reviewing what went wrong on offense w/out him and something he noticed is Conklin played 70% of the snaps last year and had zero TD's and less then half of his catches went for first down.  Essentially rendering him completely useless as a route runner and really his only value is being a check down option.   Bowers had more TD's every year in college then Conklin has in his entire career put together in the NFL and this was even when he had Cousins throwing him the ball.  Rodgers is overly confident he'll reach Lazard and get his head out of his ass to return to the player he was in Green Bay and only wants them to add 1 more veteran WR w/ the prize piece being Bowers who they think can score double digit TD's in year 1.  And yes, they're looking at the TE's who played in the championship games and what LaPorta did for the Lions as reason to prioritize TE and feel Bowers is 10x the prospect vs all those dudes. 

Conklin is solid but if they have to cut him for cap relief and play ruckert and bowers, jets will be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

Conklin is solid but if they have to cut him for cap relief and play ruckert and bowers, jets will be fine. 

100%.  CJ is gone and I think they can save an additional 5 mil if they cut Conk too but I'm not hearing anything about his roster spot being in jeopardy.  They like his leadership and I think his presence gives them flexibility/depth, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

No Way What GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

You for real clark? If so, I dig it. And pretty much agree. I think Bowers is a lock to be there at 10. I'd be shocked if he was picked ahead of that. 

Wonder if they'd be tempted if Nabers or Odunze fell to 8 or 9.

I would guess this means they prefer to fill the OL in free agency and leave 10 for a playmaker.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:28 PM, Lupz27 said:

Kyle Pitts was supposed to be that guy, he isn’t and NO TE drafted high was ever worth it (Top 15).

WR’s are 1000000000x more valuable and their are 3 studs minimum.

ENOUGH WITH THE BROCK BOWERS TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally speaking, I would never draft a TE in the top 10-15.  The only recent TE I would have broken that rule for was T.J. Hockenson, who I strongly advocated we draft at the time (and who has been a very good top-tier TE in the pros).  But we were at #3 that year, which was too high for Hock, and we picked QW, so it's hard to complain beyond the Offense vs. Defense issue I always complain about, lol.

This cycle specifically, we have (today) desperate needs at O Line, WR, QB (not gonna happen) and serious need at LB (presuming Mosely is gone) and at Safety.

With Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah and Kuntz, I don't think I'm drafting a TE this cycle personally, but if we do (say we cut Conklin too) then it's more a mid-round prospect need, a guy like Cade Stover (Ohio State, 6'4', 247) in the late 3rd/early 4th. or if blocking is vital, a Jared Wiley (TCU, 6'6", 249) in the early 5th.

Given our blocking woes, I'd lean to Wiley honestly, but again, probably wouldn't spend a pick this year on TE with our recent investments in Ruckert and Kuntz, but Ruckert/Kuntz/Wiley should lock down that position for several years I suppose, both as pass catchers and blockers.

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

No Way What GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

You for real clark? If so, I dig it. And pretty much agree. I think Bowers is a lock to be there at 10. I'd be shocked if he was picked ahead of that. 

Wonder if they'd be tempted if Nabers or Odunze fell to 8 or 9.

I would guess this means they prefer to fill the OL in free agency and leave 10 for a playmaker.

Suspicious Eyebrows GIF by The Great Pottery Throw Down

• Sympathy 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:43 AM, bonkertons said:

I mean, of course they were going to play Cook more than a 5th round rookie.  That's what we all wanted anyway - at least at the start of the year.  As far as Tippmann goes, most of us expected him to take over for McGovern at some point anyway last year, but I suppose it's possible that he never would have played if that didn't happen.  It did happen though, so I'm not sure it matters.  He played early, regardless of the reasons.  Ruckert for sure, like I said, but Ruckert happened to come in right after we signed two pretty expensive TEs.  It was clear that he was always going to be a developmental project.  Uzomah's time is over though, so the door has opened for him.  I mean, TEs typically take longer to adapt to the NFL, so it makes sense that this was their strategy.

The defense has been a different story.  Considering the amount of talent there, it makes sense.  JJ got little playing time year one, as did McDonald.  It worked for JJ, let's see if it works for McDonald as well.  Davis had to pay his dues for years and just finally turned a corner last year.  Really the only guy I can remember during this regime to get starting reps right out of the gate was Sauce.  Either way it seems to be working so I'm not going to complain about how the defense is run.  I'd expect McDonald to get a big bump next year in playing time.  Other than that maybe you'll see a kid drafted this year in the 3rd or 4th get a decent chunk of time assuming it's a DT or LB.  All that said, the offensive side of the ball is where we need highly drafted kids to be able to step in from day one.  We can afford to be patient with the defense considering how strong it is.

I know this thread is from months ago and we are now clamoring to learn who @JiFs Shark Tooth Necklace's sauces are, but Davis had to pay his dues?  He started 16 games his first two seasons and missed 10 due to injury.  He has played 1,377 snaps on D as a Jet and 1,147 of them came his first two years.  He played 80% of the snaps Saleh's first year.  He plays more special teams than D now.

• 4 weeks later...

Even with Joe Milton III participating, no former Tennessee football player impressed like tight end McAllan Castles at the Vols' Pro Day this week.

It was a big day for Castles, who didn't receive an invite to the 2024 NFL combine. He certainly took advantage of Wednesday's opportunity in front of NFL scouts and personnel.

Castles measured in at respectable 6-foot-4, 244 pounds. He recored a 10"6' broad jump, which would would have been tied for best of at the position at the Combine. Castles also jumped 37.5 inches in the vertical, third best among Combine tight ends.

The 24-year old from California also posted an unofficial 4.66 forty-yard dash. That time would have ranked eighth at the Combine. 

https://theplayerslounge.io/tennessee/content/articles/tennessee-vols-football-te-mc-callan-castles-boosts-2024-nfl-draft-stock-with-impressive-pro-day

shrug