Trade some of the DLine for OLine

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The OLine has never been this desperate for an overhaul. I think the only answer may be to swap assets. Assets a good team would normally keep, in order to balance the distribution of talent much more equitably across both lines.

Trading McD, Lawson if possible, hell even Q depending on compensation.

Even after doing this .. much of FA and the draft should be concentrated on this group .... It's that bad.

Tippmann is a starter at C, tackles .. no one, G ... AVT when he plays is a force .. but has been unreliable. Yes ... It's that bad ... Wake up Joe.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Agree.

Trading Mcdonald isn't going to happen. He barely played, the compensation would probably be a 3rd round pick at best, maybe 4th. Plus the dead money hit we would take for the next few years and we would lose 3 million in cap space this year to do it. it's a dumb idea, and will never happen. Anyway, he will be needed to play because Huff is a goner. Douglass mismanaged that and now we will likely be losing him for nothing. Douglass sucks at GM'ing

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

doesnt matter if the OL cant stay healthy. 13 different OL combinations is ridiculous. you can have the best of the best out there and we still will suck when we have backups and 3rd stringers playing.

i dont think we need to do as much as you think on the OL.

Becton has to go. so we need a LT.

Laken didnt play well but that could be because of the guy to his left. i know he is the guy everyone wants gone but its going to be hard to replace 3 guys on the OL and get a #2 WR.

Tippman as we all love drafted guys did struggle a bit. he should be better next year.

lets hop AVT can stay healthy. but a decent backup should be gotten.

Carter started playing better near the end. i would bring in a decent RT to compete with him. 

i dont like the idea of taking away from the defense to make the OL better. you cant rob Peter to pay Paul. we are already going to lose Huff. I like Rodgers and he is a big upgrade over Zach but does anybody think we can win a shootout? i dont. we need the defense not to lose a step.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Why do that when you can just like, sign and draft available players?  

Anyone else notice how the line started looking better as the year went on?   There are few reason to point at for that turnaround and then number one reason was continuity.  They had the same starting 5 for the last 5 games, w/ the exception of Xavier Newman/Joe Hansen at G.  Continuity is huge w/ the OL and nobody is going to have a good OL if they start 13 different combos.  Oh and a QB that understood protections and getting the ball out on time played a huge factor as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Why do that when you can just like, sign and draft available players?  
Anyone else notice how the line started looking better as the year went on?   There are few reason to point at for that turnaround and then number one reason was continuity.  They had the same starting 5 for the last 5 games, w/ the exception of Xavier Newman/Joe Hansen at G.  Continuity is huge w/ the OL and nobody is going to have a good OL if they start 13 different combos.  Oh and a QB that understood protections and getting the ball out on time played a huge factor as well. 
With the exception of continuity being important.

We will just have to agree to disagree....

No.  This D is seriously worse without Q.  I mean even with him they cannot stop a team that can run the ball well.
The question is ...

... Is a dominant D and the worst offense imaginable more powerful than a very good D and an above average offense?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Ummm, what part?  lol the just sign and draft players?   There was nothing else to disagree with, lol 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

doesnt matter if the OL cant stay healthy. 13 different OL combinations is ridiculous. you can have the best of the best out there and we still will suck when we have backups and 3rd stringers playing.

i dont think we need to do as much as you think on the OL.

Becton has to go. so we need a LT.

Laken didnt play well but that could be because of the guy to his left. i know he is the guy everyone wants gone but its going to be hard to replace 3 guys on the OL and get a #2 WR.

Tippman as we all love drafted guys did struggle a bit. he should be better next year.

lets hop AVT can stay healthy. but a decent backup should be gotten.

Carter started playing better near the end. i would bring in a decent RT to compete with him. 

i dont like the idea of taking away from the defense to make the OL better. you cant rob Peter to pay Paul. we are already going to lose Huff. I like Rodgers and he is a big upgrade over Zach but does anybody think we can win a shootout? i dont. we need the defense not to lose a step.

Hope is not a strategy.

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The question is ...

... Is a dominant D and the worst offense imaginable more powerful than a very good D and an above average offense?

Above average offense?  That would be quite a leap for this franchise.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The OLine has never been this desperate for an overhaul. I think the only answer may be to swap assets. Assets a good team would normally keep, in order to balance the distribution of talent much more equitably across both lines.

Trading McD, Lawson if possible, hell even Q depending on compensation.

Even after doing this .. much of FA and the draft should be concentrated on this group .... It's that bad.

Tippmann is a starter at C, tackles .. no one, G ... AVT when he plays is a force .. but has been unreliable. Yes ... It's that bad ... Wake up Joe.

I’m sympathetic to pushing resources more to offense than defense this offseason, but that’s between an unrealistic idea and a bad idea.

Lawson isn’t the Jets’ player to trade: he’s a UFA in March. Same with Huff.

Q is arguably the best player on the team, and his brother is an all pro LB: not a young killer duo you’d break up to upgrade at one tackle spot tackle (never mind at guard).

McDonald I guess they could trade, but no one’s giving up a LT - the major upgrade you’re presumably seeking - for a 2nd year edge who barely played as a rookie.

Instead

• sign a T
  • sign a G
  • draft a LT (trade their 3rd, or this year’s 4th + next year’s 3rd) to move up for a LT prospect if needed; I’d do that 100x out of 100 before I’d dump QW to trade up). Or if the FA tackle they add can play LT, then sign two veteran tackles and just see who’s on the board in the draft. 

KC’s tackles sucked this year - a cheap has-been at LT and a badly overpaid penalty machine at RT - and they may very well be going to the SB again.

The Jets’ offense lacked OL health from week to week, a starting QB, and a WR2, even with the OL’s handicap of a healthy Tomlinson.

The biggest health question mark under contract is AVT and it is what it is with him: sign as good of a backup G as they can and hope for the best. They’re not benching him and aren’t moving on from him either with 3 other OL positions to address.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I’m sympathetic to pushing resources more to offense than defense this offseason, but that’s between an unrealistic idea and a bad idea.
Q is arguably the best player on the team, and his brother is an all pro LB: not a young killer duo you’d break up to upgrade at one tackle spot tackle (never mind at guard).
McDonald I guess they could trade, but no one’s giving up a LT - the major upgradeQ you’re1 presumably seeking - for a 2nd year edge who barely played as a rookie.
Instead
  • sign a T
  • sign a G
  • draft a LT (trade their 3rd, or this year’s 4th + next year’s 3rd) to move up for a LT prospect if needed; I’d do that 100x out of 100 before I’d dump QW to trade up). Or if the FA tackle they add can play LT, then sign two veteran tackles and just see who’s on the board in the draft. 
KC’s tackles sucked this year - a cheap has-been at LT and a badly overpaid penalty machine at RT - and they may very well be going to the SB again.
The Jets’ offense lacked OL health from week to week, a starting QB, and a WR2, even with the OL’s handicap of a healthy Tomlinson.
The biggest health question mark under contract is AVT and it is what it is with him: sign as good of a backup G as they can and hope for the best. They’re not benching him and aren’t moving on from him either with 3 other OL positions to address.
Well .. I guess Jermaine could be flipped for a Stud Tackle
. No ?

• Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 1

I must have misread your post .. I interpreted it to mean that you thought sticking with the current crew was an option...

There's only one piece on the DL that might garner attention and that's Huff... He's expendable because of McDonald. Other than him there is no one else to get rid of. Getting rid of Q would be stupid. The JETS need to find a way to get 1 of the 3 OT's in the draft be it ALT, Fuaga, or Fashanu. I'd prefer a LT, but Fuaga can anchor our RT spot for 5 years as well. Again, the preference is to find a LT as Warren can fill in at RT just fine. With either of the 2 LT's, AVT at LG, Tipp at C, and Warren at RT we only need to find a RG in FA, and hope that is our line for 2024. Remember we'll need more that one OG in the draft or FA, because AVT has said he might not even be ready for training camp. 

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

McDonald I guess they could trade, but no one’s giving up a LT - the major upgradeQ you’re1 presumably seeking - for a 2nd year edge who barely played as a rookie.

Instead

• sign a T
  • sign a G

How about trading DJ Reed?  Could we get a 2nd rounder for him?  Even if not, potentially we can draft an OT in the 1st and an OG or C in the 3rd.  (If it's a C then move Tippmann to OG).  Between those 2 picks and AVT and Tippmann, that could potentially give us 4 OL (assuming JD drafts well).  We could also sign more OL in FA. 

The downside would be that we would be using all of our premium resources (1st and 3rd) on OL, which would leave us struggling to add weapinzz again.  But every single year we have the same discussion about how the OL needs to be fixed but it never happens.  Without an OL, the offense just can't function (especially with a 40 yo QB who is coming off major surgery).  So to me, OL needs to be the priority.   Hopefully JD can still add a couple of serviceable WRs in FA and maybe AR8 can motivate Lazard this offseason.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about trading DJ Reed?  Could we get a 2nd rounder for him?  Even if not, potentially we can draft an OT in the 1st and an OG or C in the 3rd.  (If it's a C then move Tippmann to OG).  Between those 2 picks and AVT and Tippmann, that could potentially give us 4 OL (assuming JD drafts well).  We could also sign more OL in FA. 

The downside would be that we would be using all of our premium resources (1st and 3rd) on OL, which would leave us struggling to add weapinzz again.  But every single year we have the same discussion about how the OL needs to be fixed but it never happens.  Without an OL,  the offense just can't function (especially with a 40 yo QB who is coming off major surgery).  So to me, OL needs to be the priority.   Hopefully JD can still add a couple of serviceable WRs in FA and maybe AR8 can motivate Lazard this offseason.

I doubt it, but I guess it’s possible. Then again pick 34 and pick 64 are both 2nd round and they’re not at all the same. I guess we could argue if we had our 2nd back and didn’t have Reed there wouldn’t be too many people advocating Douglas trade our 2nd for a 28 yr old CB with 1 season left under contract. They should be able to find a G in early round 3, anyway. Reed has been better than expected on balance, though he got beat a few times later in the season. Still, I’d trade him before I’d trade the likes of QW or Sauce or McDonald.

I don’t think the team is at all looking to move Tippmann back to guard, let alone to move him there for a rookie center from the 3rd round, and they definitely aren’t looking to start rookies at both LT and C. Guards are more valuable than centers, but they’re also easier to find and swap in. Tippmann is the team’s center.

OL should be, and quite obviously will be, a priority this offseason. There are enough players available between FA and the draft. Will Douglas do an adequate job of it? That’s a different question. I hope so.

Very rare for starting players to get traded for other starting players. And we really don’t have anything with value that we actually can afford to lose. I don’t want to trade away JJ or Q. And they are the only ones with value really on the DL. Just use the 10th pick on a guy and sign a guy in FA.

We need to start developing guys. Warren looked decent in his limited action. Groom him to start in a year maybe. Get Mitchell to gain weight and move to G. And develop him there. Can’t just have 1st rounders accross the OL.

Instead
  • sign a T
  • sign a G
I really like the idea of trading whatever we have to in order to move up and acquire Alt.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

The question is ...

but we don't even have a dominant defense. it's above average, thats it

• Upvote 1

Following year ... "why can't our defense get off the field, we need to invest in DL, what was Joe D doing trading away our best players".

Ah ... I see you think the resources are already distributed evenly enough .. thanks.

And that our 40 year old shadow is far from harm as the offense stands right now... Setup for sure success.

Huff tag and trade is the only thing I see happening. I would imagine we get draft compensation and use it on offense. 

Pretty sure the Jets will use FA and the draft for O-line, not nec. a trade for a specific O-lineman. 

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

They just chip is huff but they can't risk the tag and trade and being in the hook for 20+ M.

I think they can. If they really had to I would imagine they can move on from Mosley and his contract no? 

But teams will want Huff. He is one of the best pure pass rushers in the league in his prime.