If Woody had a brain

This is the third known candidate to reject an interview with the Jets after Darrell Bevell and Bill Callahan, although Monken is a bit different. Bevell and Callahan turned down offers from other teams. Monken clearly had interest in a return to the NFL. He just wasn't interested in the Jets' job.

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

IMG_8181.jpeg

While I'm not arguing the appeal of the job, this must be from back in the Maccagnan hiring round, given the names thrown around there.  Harbaugh aside, that's some pretty twisted logic for sticking with a known failure in JD nearly a decade later (not that the logic actually being used for him currently is much better).

• Upvote 1

The Jets have a plan for 2024.  

The real question is what does Woody do when he needs to reboot in 2025?  Rookie GM and HC, or experienced people?

Woody needs to watch what the Commanders do.  They are smart and thoughtful.  

The real problem here is that JD is playing 52 pickup while the top football organizations play 3D chess.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

But its only gotten worse.....

How so?  Unlike 5 years ago we have at least a few pieces to be excited about. Back then we had an elite safety….and thats it. We had Quinnen who was already being called a bust after his rookie year(what a fanbase, huh?) and Darnold who was trending that way after 2 disappointing seasons. 

There’s at least a nucleus in place here now.  A competent GM shouldn’t have too hard of a time turning this core into a winner, assuming they know how to find a coach and draft a QB. I unfortunately don’t think there’s a GM out there though who can predict a QB prospect’s success with 100% certainty. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

How so?  Unlike 5 years ago we have at least a few pieces to be excited about. Back then we had an elite safety….and thats it. We had Quinnen who was already being called a bust after his rookie year(what a fanbase, huh?) and Darnold who was trending that way after 2 disappointing seasons. 

There’s at least a nucleus in place here now.  A competent GM shouldn’t have too hard of a time turning this core into a winner, assuming they know how to find a coach and draft a QB. I unfortunately don’t think there’s a GM out there though who can predict a QB prospect’s success with 100% certainty. 

3 bad 1st round picks in 4 years

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

We have no QB, a poor GM, a poot coach, Woody, a roster that suffers from several poor drafts.  A few pieces won't make it. You need an organization that hits on at least 50 percent of it's draft picks.  We keep trading ours away to draft players in the finals of their career. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

3 bad 1st round picks in 4 years

The guy said we are in “worse shape”. 

Also who is the 3rd?  The guy who just finished his rookie season?  But just to humor you, let’s say you’re right. He’s missed on 3 1st rounders. He’s had 7 total in those 4 years. That would put JD right in that 50% range that the guy above me says is required for a GM to be successful. 

Again though I’m not looking to get into a “how much does JD suck” debate, just saying there is zero debate that this roster is in much better shape than it was after the 2019 season. Not sure how anyone could dispute that. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We have no QB, a poor GM, a poot coach, Woody, a roster that suffers from several poor drafts.  A few pieces won't make it. You need an organization that hits on at least 50 percent of it's draft picks.  We keep trading ours away to draft players in the finals of their career. 

“Keep trading ours away” we did this once though….unless I’m missing something.

JD has been stockpiling picks every year before said trade. Two 1sts in 2021 and a 2nd. Three in 2022 and a 2nd. Even with the AR trade we still had a 1st and 2nd last year. This is going to be the first time in 5 years that JD hasn’t had a pick in the 1st or 2nd. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

The guy said we are in “worse shape”. 

Also who is the 3rd?  The guy who just finished his rookie season?  But just to humor you, let’s say you’re right. He’s missed on 3 1st rounders. He’s had 7 total in those 4 years. That would put JD right in that 50% range that the guy above me says is required for a GM to be successful. 

Again though I’m not looking to get into a “how much does JD suck” debate, just saying there is zero debate that this roster is in much better shape than it was after the 2019 season. Not sure how anyone could dispute that. 

His FA signings are worse.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

“Keep trading ours away” we did this once though….unless I’m missing something.

JD has been stockpiling picks every year before said trade. Two 1sts in 2021 and a 2nd. Three in 2022 and a 2nd. Even with the AR trade we still had a 1st and 2nd last year. This is going to be the first time in 5 years that JD hasn’t had a pick in the 1st or 2nd. 

Traded seconds to get Darnold, more picks to get Rodger’s.  Good teams don’t do that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ummm, did I miss something, or is this all 5 year old news?

R.thumb.jpg.8e67b1f63da0693ae88a695b62e62299.jpg

When was the last hiring cycle? The jets didn’t send any formal interview requests this week that I know of 

Try to keep up 

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

When was the last hiring cycle? The jets didn’t send any formal interview requests this week that I know of 

Try to keep up 

"Try to keep up"? 

LOL. You're the one posting ancient history like it's somehow relevant today. 

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"Try to keep up"? 

LOL. You're the one posting ancient history like it's somehow relevant today. 

I don’t have time to explain the interview process to you.  The examples I cited came from the last interview cycle the jets had which was not last week 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I don’t have time to explain the interview process to you.  The examples I cited came from the last interview cycle the jets had which was not last week 

Except you're wrong about that, considering they're from the Maccagnan hiring round in 2015.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except you're wrong about that, considering they're from the Maccagnan hiring round in 2015.

I’m sorry my 10 second google search was inadequate 

I thought the point was obvious 

harbaugh ain’t coming here 

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

That's what tends to happen when your sole interest is confirmation bias.

Woody was the owner for the interviews I mentioned, no ?

how is this a difficult point to understand?

after parcels and Belicheat ran away from woody he had to resort to headhunters and the NFL incompetent owner’s assistance line to hire a GM

He is routinely used as a stalking horse by people to get better offers from the jobs they really want 

as long as he is the owner guys like JD and Saleh are the candidate pool he’s shopping in 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Larz said:

as long as he is the owner guys like JD and Saleh are the candidate pool he’s shopping in 

Strange. At the time both JD and Saleh were considered home run picks and those hiring were actually treated positively by both the Fan Base and the Sperts Media. 

Whatever floats your boat though.

Harbaugh isn't coming to the Jets because they aren't changing coaches or GM, unfortunately. Not because of a hiring process 9 years ago...

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

We clearly have not improved since then.  Macs record is basically equal to JD.   Woody is not a good owner and the record shows it.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Strange. At the time both JD and Saleh were considered home run picks and those hiring were actually treated positively by both the Fan Base and the Sperts Media. 

Whatever floats your boat though.

Harbaugh isn't coming to the Jets because they aren't changing coaches or GM, unfortunately. Not because of a hiring process 9 years ago...

Why would he come here when jobs like LA, tenn, Atlanta are open.   

• Upvote 1