What do we do at RB?

nvot9

Cedric Houston is not the answer. Nice kid though. This problem shows exactly what is wrong with this team. Half the people say RB is a huge need. The other half say let Curtis hold the fort for awhile longer.

The point - there are so many needs! Personally I hope Brick is there at 4 and that they take a RB with the 29th or 35th pick. Run the ball. We can't throw and we can't stop anyone. Run the ball.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rebuilding the offensive line is more important than getting another running back. Until we do that, RB shouldn't be a top priority. If they can somehow accomplish both, then more power to them, but I'd rather go into this year shady at running back than shady in the trench.

Why can't we do both? Now with the Teague signing we only really need a Right Tackle. We have Jones and Kendall on the left side, Teague at Center and Brandon Moore at RG.

Why can't we do both? Now with the Teague signing we only really need a Right Tackle. We have Jones and Kendall on the left side, Teague at Center and Brandon Moore at RG.

And that line will get someone killed. It takes more than signing a stop gap, to solidify the offensive line. And it's not the only line that needs to be rebuilt. Besides that, this team is going to go the Patriots route of being built. Did they have a home run back, when they won their first two titles? Nope. Somehow, they managed. Would it be great to draft a running back? Sure. But, the lines need to be rebuilt first. Hell, there's still three running backs on this team that are being paid well. It's not exactly a place the Jets can afford to spend more money, with having so many other holes to fill.

Did I use any of the stupid smileys?

CuMar and Houston will be fine next year.

Jets don't need to waste a draft pick on a RB.

I will agree that they should be fine with Martin and Houston. But i don't think it'd be a wasted pick if they took a chance in round 3 or later on a developmental guy. From my perspective, they need a good 3rd down back. I can't see an aging Martin and young Houston in that role for em'. Then again, i'm kind of a beginner at this being a Jets fan stuff. ;)

At the age of 32, Walter Payton ran for 1333 yards, 4.0 ypc.

At the age of 33, Walter Payton ran for 533 yards, 3.7 ypc, then retired.

At the age of 32, Curtis Martin ran for 735 yards, 3.3 ypc.

At the age of 33, Curtis Martin will be playing for the NY Jets this year.

At the age of 32, Marshall Faulk ran for 292 yards, 4.5 ypc.

At the age of 33, Marshall Faulk will play for the Rams this year.

At the age of 32, Eric Dickerson ran for 729 yards, 3.2 ypc.

At the age of 33, Eric Dickerson ran for 91 yards, 3.5 ypc, then retired.

At the age of 32 Eddie George was out of the league.

At the age of 32 Thurmon Thomas would never cross 400 yds again.

Think about that for a minute.

Curtis isn't holding down any fort. The best you can hope for is one more year like last year. That's about it. CuMar will either be gone in 2007, or he should be, or at most in a 3rd RB/Marshall Faulk last year role, and even that would be remarkable.

You're in a similar situation to the Pats actually--- MAYBE you can get by without adding a top 2 caliber RB, but it doesn't look all that appealing.

You're picking #4, #29, #35, #71, #97, #103, #117, #138, #211. That's a haul and a half of high level draft picks.

Drafting an RB in the 1st is iffy--- I've always felt that a bad team should not use a high draft pick on an RB due to the short careers and the horrendous expense when they hit FA (See Jordan, LaMont).

On the other hand you guys have a plethora of picks, and it's a need this year and a huge need next year.

Personally, I'd steer clear of drafting an RB based on need, and only take him if he was a clearcut BPA--- and I'd be prejudiced towards a OL or defenseman over an RB if they were close.

There should be a decent number of moderately intriguing 3rd down backs on day two, or with that last pick on day one at 97. A Jerious Norwood, Stephen Drew, or even a Taurean Henderson late on day two would provide another warm body in the rotation for this year, and if you picked the right guy you might end up with a decent Kevin Faulk type who could have a nice 10 carries a game.

The plus side of your RB situation is that, while I scarcely remember seeing much of Houston and I wasn't wowed when I did see him, at 5-11, 220, one would think that he should be able to handle the load--- even if he does so in an Antowain Smith in 2003 kind of way, 3.5 ypc or something.

Of course an FO usually feels it can compete right away--- and in the NFL you are never in a position where you're more than one year away. Personally though I think the Jets need that one year, and should be targetting 2007.

I don't know how strong the 2007 draft is at RB, but it looks like there's a heck of a lot of size there.... so the idea of maybe finding your change of pace guy this draft and a replacement for CuMar next draft might make a lot of sense.

Of course, if you do draft an early RB, the one year difference is not the biggest deal in the world.... certainly I think the Jets would be foolish to pass up an RB at #29 if they felt he was BPA--- heck, if they thought Maroney or Williams was a high end back it wouldn't be foolish to do a moderate tradeup for him, even with your other needs.

Generally speaking though the Jets should have their eyes first and foremost on every defensive position, the OL, the TE, and the QB spots.

So I'd say what you do at RB is plan on making sure you find a day-2 or late day-1 guy you like, and be prepared to take an RB at #29 or in the 2nd if he's clear BPA and there's not good trade down option.

Well, RS, the Jets also have Cedric Houston, who might be able to do something behind a line that can run block, and Derrick Blaylock, while some may think he's garbage, we really haven't seen what he can do. And, while not a "pure" RB, they have BJ Askew, who was the primary RB at Michigan, for a season or two.

My thinking is this: the Jets don't "need" a RB, this draft. They'll probably "need" one next year. Next year, Adrian Peterson might be avalible, along with a QB they'll probably "need" too, Brady Quinn. Next year seems to be the year for that offensive playmaker that everyone craves. Build the lines, then get your offensive playmaker. That way, they're actually able to have time and space to make those plays.

Ah, I spaced on Blaylock. He's suitable for that 3rd down role.

Askew is negligible.

But Martin/Houston/Blaylock is a passable patch for this year if you don't seriously expect to compete for making the AFCC or such.

In that case I'd simplify it to saying that an RB is only worth taking this year if you hope to make an SB run, or if he is the BPA.

But you're going to need to find a starter next offseason.

Ah, I spaced on Blaylock. He's suitable for that 3rd down role.

Askew is negligible.

But Martin/Houston/Blaylock is a passable patch for this year if you don't seriously expect to compete for making the AFCC or such.

In that case I'd simplify it to saying that an RB is only worth taking this year if you hope to make an SB run, or if he is the BPA.

But you're going to need to find a starter next offseason.

Pretty much where I was coming from. I don't think the Jets will make a Super Bowl run, sadly. I'd be suprised as all hell, if they did. Shocked. That and I don't believe they need that huge playmaker (not that I see one in this draft. It's high on trenches, low on playmakers) this year. They'll need it next year, though.

At the age of 32, Walter Payton ran for 1333 yards, 4.0 ypc.

At the age of 33, Walter Payton ran for 533 yards, 3.7 ypc, then retired.

At the age of 32, Curtis Martin ran for 735 yards, 3.3 ypc.

At the age of 33, Curtis Martin will be playing for the NY Jets this year.

At the age of 32, Marshall Faulk ran for 292 yards, 4.5 ypc.

At the age of 33, Marshall Faulk will play for the Rams this year.

At the age of 32, Eric Dickerson ran for 729 yards, 3.2 ypc.

At the age of 33, Eric Dickerson ran for 91 yards, 3.5 ypc, then retired.

At the age of 32 Eddie George was out of the league.

At the age of 32 Thurmon Thomas would never cross 400 yds again.

Think about that for a minute.

Curtis isn't holding down any fort. The best you can hope for is one more year like last year. That's about it. CuMar will either be gone in 2007, or he should be, or at most in a 3rd RB/Marshall Faulk last year role, and even that would be remarkable.

You're in a similar situation to the Pats actually--- MAYBE you can get by without adding a top 2 caliber RB, but it doesn't look all that appealing.

You're picking #4, #29, #35, #71, #97, #103, #117, #138, #211. That's a haul and a half of high level draft picks.

Drafting an RB in the 1st is iffy--- I've always felt that a bad team should not use a high draft pick on an RB due to the short careers and the horrendous expense when they hit FA (See Jordan, LaMont).

On the other hand you guys have a plethora of picks, and it's a need this year and a huge need next year.

Personally, I'd steer clear of drafting an RB based on need, and only take him if he was a clearcut BPA--- and I'd be prejudiced towards a OL or defenseman over an RB if they were close.

There should be a decent number of moderately intriguing 3rd down backs on day two, or with that last pick on day one at 97. A Jerious Norwood, Stephen Drew, or even a Taurean Henderson late on day two would provide another warm body in the rotation for this year, and if you picked the right guy you might end up with a decent Kevin Faulk type who could have a nice 10 carries a game.

The plus side of your RB situation is that, while I scarcely remember seeing much of Houston and I wasn't wowed when I did see him, at 5-11, 220, one would think that he should be able to handle the load--- even if he does so in an Antowain Smith in 2003 kind of way, 3.5 ypc or something.

Of course an FO usually feels it can compete right away--- and in the NFL you are never in a position where you're more than one year away. Personally though I think the Jets need that one year, and should be targetting 2007.

I don't know how strong the 2007 draft is at RB, but it looks like there's a heck of a lot of size there.... so the idea of maybe finding your change of pace guy this draft and a replacement for CuMar next draft might make a lot of sense.

Of course, if you do draft an early RB, the one year difference is not the biggest deal in the world.... certainly I think the Jets would be foolish to pass up an RB at #29 if they felt he was BPA--- heck, if they thought Maroney or Williams was a high end back it wouldn't be foolish to do a moderate tradeup for him, even with your other needs.

Generally speaking though the Jets should have their eyes first and foremost on every defensive position, the OL, the TE, and the QB spots.

So I'd say what you do at RB is plan on making sure you find a day-2 or late day-1 guy you like, and be prepared to take an RB at #29 or in the 2nd if he's clear BPA and there's not good trade down option.

RS good post but why did you leave out Emmitt Smith?? He had almost 1,000 yds with the Cards at 34!!:cheers:

IMO blaylock is isn't that great, only looked decent because of KC's OL.

Which is a great case for building a great offensive line. Guys like Dbrick or winston Justice and Max jean giles can be the cornerstone of the line for 10 years. We also could use an ace nose tackle

Well, RS, the Jets also have Cedric Houston, who might be able to do something behind a line that can run block, and Derrick Blaylock, while some may think he's garbage, we really haven't seen what he can do. And, while not a "pure" RB, they have BJ Askew, who was the primary RB at Michigan, for a season or two.

My thinking is this: the Jets don't "need" a RB, this draft. They'll probably "need" one next year. Next year, Adrian Peterson might be avalible, along with a QB they'll probably "need" too, Brady Quinn. Next year seems to be the year for that offensive playmaker that everyone craves. Build the lines, then get your offensive playmaker. That way, they're actually able to have time and space to make those plays.

Curtis Martin is 33 and coming off a bad injury, Cedric Houston is an ok back-up at best and Derrick Blaylock stinks. Askew is playing fullback and he didn't impress anyone playing RB last year.

I love how so many people on this site want to count on future drafts and take for granted that we're getting guys like Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson. Unless the Jets win 4 or less games next year they won't be in a position to get those guys and who knows if they are worth they wait anyway. We could always trade the farm to trade up and get those guys. I mean, when are we supposed to expect the Jets to finally get better? 2014?

Trey Teague is not a stop gap. He was a very solid starter at Buffalo and he is a much better Center than Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston are at their position. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed with the Jets after this 2 year deal.

Next year Kendall will be playing his better postion of LG, Jones will have a year of experience at LT where he is capable, and the Jets will have a new starting RT probably Marcus McNeill or Jon Scott. While it isn't saying much that it's an improvement over last year it's going to be a solid o-line.

Curtis Martin is 33 and coming off a bad injury, Cedric Houston is an ok back-up at best and Derrick Blaylock stinks. Askew is playing fullback and he didn't impress anyone playing RB last year.

I love how so many people on this site want to count on future drafts and take for granted that we're getting guys like Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson. Unless the Jets win 4 or less games next year they won't be in a position to get those guys and who knows if they are worth they wait anyway. We could always trade the farm to trade up and get those guys. I mean, when are we supposed to expect the Jets to finally get better? 2014?

Trey Teague is not a stop gap. He was a very solid starter at Buffalo and he is a much better Center than Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston are at their position. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed with the Jets after this 2 year deal.

Next year Kendall will be playing his better postion of LG, Jones will have a year of experience at LT where he is capable, and the Jets will have a new starting RT probably Marcus McNeill or Jon Scott. While it isn't saying much that it's an improvement over last year it's going to be a solid o-line.

Get off your high horse.

The bottom line is that there aren't any superstar playmakers in this draft. And yes, I'm aware of how old Curtis Martin is, and how much you and others don't like Houston and Blaylock (who hasn't even played a down for the Jets, so how you can judge him is beyond me), but the fact is this, do you think getting anyone short of Barry Sanders of old is going to help this Jets team, the way the line is? I don't care if you run a 4.2 40, if the holes aren't there, there's no way you'll be able to make any plays. And if the defense is already in the backfield, I don't care if you're Joe Montana, you're not going to make any plays. You need a solid offensive line, and the name of the game is depth. If you have no depth, you have squat. You don't use the draft to try and get immediately better. Not when you're in the Jets position. You use it to get better and build depth. And, for all the guys you've named, Moore, Jones, Teague, ect... none of them are to write home about. Not one. They need to draft offensive line, get the best possible o-linemen they can, and get alot of them. The same goes for the defensive side too. Number 4? Williams or Ferguson. 29? Maybe Williams' teammate from NC State, Lawson. Or Mangold. Or Giles. Or pick your tackle. 35? Build depth. Without strong foundations, nothing will work.

There is absolutely no need to draft a RB as high as our 4th pick in the draft. Even if we trade dwon a bit it still makes absolutely zero sense to do it. We have so many positions to fill, and quite frankly RB is NEVER a position to build around. A great RB is the final piece of the puzzle. Look at NE, they won 2 SB's with the combination of A Smith and K Faulk. PIT just won with Willie Parker. TB won with M Pittman. The teams that actually had a great RB also had a great team around them. BAL had a monstrous D. StL had the greatest arial attack in the league, possibly ever. We are in no position WHATSOEVER to be drafting a RB early on. It is a surefire ticket to becoming the Detroit Lions with Sanders or the Bengals with Dillon.

The Jets will use Curtis as the primary guy in 2006. At the same time, hopefully, they'll also give Cedric Houston a chance to see what he can do.

I think you'll see the opposite - Houston as the feature back, Cumar in "relief."

At least I hope so....

Ok, name one that will be there when the Jets draft. Go on, name one.

Well, you said there were no playmakers in the draft. I didn't realize you were referring to when the Jets were drafting.

And if I had to name one, thats easy, Duke Davis.

"Get off your high horse."

Are you talking about this? -

seabiscuit.jpg

"The bottom line is that there aren't any superstar playmakers in this draft." (Umm... Reggie Bush, Vernon Davis, Lendale White, Deangelo Williams, Leonard Pope, Lawrence Maroney and Chad Jackson to name a few?)

"And yes, I'm aware of how old Curtis Martin is."(Wow, you are.)

"and how much you and others don't like Houston and Blaylock (who hasn't even played a down for the Jets, so how you can judge him is beyond me)" Actually, Blaylock played quite a few downs last year. Seven games, including one start and he averaged 3 yards a carry and loked like crap:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5598

Look, unlike you, I can't see why we can't take care of BOTH the offensive line and the skill positions. Call me crazy but I want to get as many good players as possible while getting rid of Bradway's garbage (Jolley, McCareins, Blaylock) which you are somehow fascinated with. Sometimes in life the more obvious answer is the right answer.

The Jets have no running back.

Blaylock - skatback, 3rd down option

Curtis Martin - absolutely pathetic last year. Old, slow and weak.

Houston - nice back, should be a fine backup.

We dont have a very good player at running back.

And if Reggie Bush falls to 4, or LenDale White falls to 29/35 we should draft them.

For the people talking about Adrian Peterson. What the hell happened to your boy in 2005? Was he talking a year off or something? I'm pretty sure he split carries because he was pulling a Jamal Lewis (without the legal problems).

The Jets have no running back.

Blaylock - skatback, 3rd down option

Curtis Martin - absolutely pathetic last year. Old, slow and weak.

Houston - nice back, should be a fine backup.

We dont have a very good player at running back.

And if Reggie Bush falls to 4, or LenDale White falls to 29/35 we should draft them.

Amen.

Amen.

If you were a Pittsburgh fan surely you would've thought them to be fools to go into the season with Willie Parker (who?), Jerome Bettis (33yo), Verron Haynes (2 career 50-yard games), and Duce Staley (always injured & hadn't done a thing since the first half of '04).

How'd that turn out? Or more to the point, WHY did that work out?

You went on about Pittsburgh having the #2 rushing offense (actually #5), but they did it with NO player who was thought to be anything close to a premiere back at the start of the pre-season.

Yet the secret to the Jets' rushing success (for this year and the future) is drafting Joseph Addai at #35 instead of a dominating OLman like Jean-Gilles?

Amen.

The Jets can draft Jim Brown reincarnated and he would struggle running behind the Jets OLine.

Why waste a 1st round pick on a RB when you can build the OLine?

A good RB can be found in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds, providing they have a good Oline to run behind.

It's not like the Jets are a RB away from the Super Bowl.

The Jets can draft Jim Brown reincarnated and he would struggle running behind the Jets OLine.

Why waste a 1st round pick on a RB when you can build the OLine?

A good RB can be found in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds, providing they have a good Oline to run behind.

It's not like the Jets are a RB away from the Super Bowl.

You're right, Tx, but I just don't think I could conceivably turn down Reggie Bush at the 4th spot. There are a thousand things we need more than a RB at this point, but since when has drafting purely for need been successful?

By the way, I'm as big a proponent for building up the offensive line as anyone. I've been saying for 2 years, even during the '04 season, that the OL was in trouble.

You're right, Tx, but I just don't think I could conceivably turn down Reggie Bush at the 4th spot. There are a thousand things we need more than a RB at this point, but since when has drafting purely for need been successful?

Here's a few things to ponder about taking Bush at #4:

The average career of a RB in the NFL is 4.5 years.

Reggie Bush is 5'10"-202 lbs. There is no way he could sustain a productive career carrying the football 20+ times per game in the NFL.

The Jets OLine is in shambles. They could get Bush killed before the bye week.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bush is an exceptional talent and could very well be a true superstar in the NFL.

If the Jets already had a solid OLine in place, I'd probably be singing a different tune about Bush at #4.

But given the circumstances, if Bush were still available at #4, the Jets would be best off and trade down for a friggn' King's ransom.

Good points all around.

I don't think we need to use a first day pick on a running back. In today's NFL, one could be claimed from the scrap heap for nothing.

Growing up in Chicago and being raised a Bears fan, I idolized Walter Payton. Neal Anderson did a fine job too, for a few years, and then came almost a decade of nothing at running back. Wasted picks on Rashan Salaam, Curtis Penis, and free agent acquisitions of washed up guys like Edgar Bennett, Craig Hayward, etc. Lewis Tillman. James Allen.

A storied franchise with legendary running backs throughout it's history, and yet, nothing, until A Train came in a had a decent rookie season.

Thomas Jones, after being a bust for all but a few months of his NFL career, comes to Chicago and plays at a Pro Bowl level.

I don't like this running back class, and would rather wait until next season, when we have a better idea of the draft class and free agency.

Last year was an excellent one for running backs to be obtained via draft or free agency.

Let's just wait and see how things turn out.

Archived