Jets releasing Laken Tomlinson, gain $8 mil in cap space

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Last GM when the Jets had a winning season. A lot of GM's passed on Patrick Mahomes. Jamal Adams ended up bringing back draft capital. What's Zach Wilson bringing back? Bag of chips. Even Sam Darnold was better than Zach Wilson and Joe was able to liquidate him for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th round pick.

Darnold obviously did not work out on the Jets (although he did win 7 games for Gase), and did not work out in Carolina.

But he looks like an NFL QB.  He has the physical tools.  He played against real competition.    He showed enough in his 3 years on the Jets to get real draft compensation back, probably similar to what Fields would get.  The Panthers gladly paid his year 4 salary AND took his fifth year option. 

Zach Wilson is so unqualified physically and mentally to be an NFL QB that today, despite starting alot of games, is basically worthless.   We wonder if a team will pay his $5.5mm.  No one is taking his fifth year option.  

This was just a terrible draft pick.  

Mac was terrible, but he drafted Quinnen, Darnold (better than Wilson), Jamal Adams (nut job but good player), Darron Lee (bad pick but terrible draft-look who was picked after him-Efedi was the pick there, or the CB from Pittsburgh).  He drafted Hackenburg.  His biggest sin was not drafting Mahomes or Watson.  

But when you take away the 2022 draft, I don't think you can say that JD outdrafted Mac.  That is not surprising, but they both basically used the same clown scouts. 

• Upvote 3

I do not want to be disingenious about my faith in JD to get this right after 4-5 years.  Here is the thing, during his last presser he was very humble...maybe just maybe he realized how F his decisions were in 2023... 

Am I confident he can do it,  absolutely not.  Can he maybe but we need to have the FB gods favor us for a change and I pretty dam sure they still have a heavy foot on our collective neck. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Darnold obviously did not work out on the Jets (although he did win 7 games for Gase), and did not work out in Carolina.

But he looks like an NFL QB.  He has the physical tools.  He played against real competition.    He showed enough in his 3 years on the Jets to get real draft compensation back, probably similar to what Fields would get.  The Panthers gladly paid his year 4 salary AND took his fifth year option. 

Zach Wilson is so unqualified physically and mentally to be an NFL QB that today, despite starting alot of games, is basically worthless.   We wonder if a team will pay his $5.5mm.  No one is taking his fifth year option.  

Mac was terrible, but he drafted Quinnen, Darnold (better than Wilson), Jamal Adams (nut job but good player), Darron Lee (bad pick but terrible draft-look who was picked after him-Efedi was the pick there, or the CB from Pittsburgh).  He drafted Hackenburg.  His biggest sin was not drafting Mahomes or Watson.  

But when you take away the 2022 draft, I don't think you can say that JD outdrafted Mac.  That is not surprising, but they both basically used the same clown scouts. 

Yes.  JD has been a better GM than Mac.  But I honestly believe Mac's was an all-time bad GM.

And with that said - Joe Douglas's 2023 off-season was easily the single worst off-season I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think we need to take a step back here. Mac was so disastrous and has basically evaporated into thin air.

If JD gets canned tomorrow, I’d bet he’ll be in another front office by the start of the next season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

And with that said - Joe Douglas's 2023 off-season was easily the single worst off-season I've ever seen.

I think the only rational explanation for this is that Woody really got more involved. 

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

If JD gets canned tomorrow, I’d bet he’ll be in another front office by the start of the next season.

I am not entirely sure about that, and I don't think it is a GM role.  Maybe AGM, maybe Director of Scouting again. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is the kind of thought that seems rational and on its face I agree.  OTOH, when I stare at it a bit longer, it seems a bit contradictory.  I hope they have a plan in place.  I fully admit that it often seems they do not.  Thing is, the quickie read is Fuaga is a beast in the run game and "developing" his pass sets.   Guyton is an excellent pass blocker.  Which direction are they actually headed?  Just best player or do they have an actual plan?  Who the **** knows?  Does anybody?  

Fugua - Beast run blocker. Needs work in pass game. Get Aaron Rodgers a sprint coach.  Guyton - excellent pass blocker - averaqge run blocker. Rodgers is playing 2 years max.  Fugua sems to be the better long term move - Guyton the better short term move - and we could get an extra 2nd rounder. Plan has to be PROTECT 8 at all costs.  

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Lets be clear, if JD and his Jets go 3-14 in 2024, you think they'll just keep JD on for all the offseason 2025 stuff before they let him go in June to bring on a new GM?

Woody is a fool, and makes mistakes regularly, but I'm doubting he repeats this one.  And there is no Gase here to help repeat it either. 

If JD isn't extended before the whistle blows to end our final game in 2024, he'll be fired the very next day.  I'm confident in that.

But sure, Woody could pull a Macc again, nothing is impossibru and June is the official end of the contract as far as anyone can tell.

Woody hires Rex.  Woody loves Rex.  Woody scratches his bald head over Rex.  Woody FIRES Rex.  Woody hires JD. Woody waits and waits and waits for JD to deliver.  If they dont make the playoffs next year: Woody FIRES Saleh & JD.

Woody RE-HIRES Rex.  

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Most?

I don't know about that, unless one can point to Saleh as the cause for so many OL injuries & letdowns.

Douglas chose Fant over Conklin

Douglas chose Becton over Wirfs

Douglas chose AVT over Darrisaw + keeping his two 3rd rounders

Douglas chose Moore over Dickerson and Humphrey

Douglas chose all the others that @bitonti mentioned, too

The forgivable ones, imo, were shots in the dark on the likes of Kalil -- he was handed a team without a center, with a HC who surely told him he needed one, and at that point there was no one else to add. Plus a pick here or there on day 3 that didn't work out; every team has that same experience. 

I think both bear responsibility, but unless you can point to Saleh as the cause of poor play the player acquisition falls on the GM.

Yes, but you don’t keep trotting out a bad player for two full seasons.  The head coach needs to motivate and make sure the players are in the right position to succeed.  Granted some of the free agent picks have been so so but the fact still remains that the oline should’ve been at least average and it failed.  And one of the excuses that have been implied is that the oline goes south once avt misses games.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yes, but you don’t keep trotting out a bad player for two full seasons.  The head coach needs to motivate and make sure the players are in the right position to succeed.  Granted some of the free agent picks have been so so but the fact still remains that the oline should’ve been at least average and it failed.  And one of the excuses that have been implied is that the oline goes south once avt misses games.

Agree to disagree here. It isn’t at all a “fact” that an OL down to players #10-15 on the depth chart, with only incompetence as choices at QB, should have been average or better than average. Tomlinson was in the only position at which he had success.

Motivation like the threat of benching a player doesn’t have the desired effect when the only ones left to take his place are emergency 5th string street FAs who don’t belong on anyone’s non-PS roster, and bet the $13MM veteran starter surely knows it.

I’m no huge believer in Saleh as the HC, but the OL was a mess based on personnel and the negative help at QB, and got worse as the season went on.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I think we need to take a step back here. Mac was so disastrous and has basically evaporated into thin air.

Can't even get a job as an area scout. 

His unofficial "job" these days is as a motivational speaker.  Basically Saleh's future once his days as a DC are done at his subsequent stops.

17 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I would take the other side of that bet 

He drafted Zach wilson the biggest bust in Jets history and traded for Aaron Rodgers the worst trade in Jets history 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
12 minutes ago, bitonti said:
I would take the other side of that bet 
He drafted Zach wilson the biggest bust in Jets history and traded for Aaron Rodgers the worst trade in Jets history 

*yawn*

It's quite a legacy 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:05 PM, Mogglez said:

LT Bakhtiari

LG Mike Onenwu/Kevin Zeitler

C Tippmann

RG AVT

RT Rookie (who will eventually take over at LT down the road)

My best guess.

If Bakhtiari is penciled in as the left tackle, I think it'd be prudent for them to consider two scenarios regarding the rookie. In the case Alt or Fashanu is there, might be worth taking one of those guys. But if they're looking at taking OT3 and opening up that roughly four player tier, I think it'd be smarter to dip down, pick up an extra second round pick, and end up with OT5 or OT6 instead. Same tier, add the pick.

I'd actually love to see them take one of the more raw tackles in the second or third in that scenario as a depth option for when Bakhtiari gets hurt and a developmental pick. It's a great class for it - someone like Paul from Houston or the Yale tackle whose name I won't pretend I can spell. Highly doubt it happens but with needs at both tackle spots, adding a rookie question mark and an oft injured veteran seems like asking for trouble. Two rookie question marks isn't much better, but hopefully a little bit at least.

• Upvote 1