NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Unless jd and woody are planning something really special, we’re going OL in round 1 and calling it a day. 

If Caleb Williams were to drop, barring a murder charge, they would sprint to the podium with that card and worry about the rest later.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's information to be had from meeting with him and his representatives. Same reason teams meet with free agents they never intend to sign. You get information on the market, who's interested, who's not... etc

Williams doesn't have any representatives.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

If Caleb Williams were to drop, barring a murder charge, they would sprint to the podium with that card and worry about the rest later.

I agree. I’m not skeptical of the meeting b/c i object to it - i just don’t see a realistic shot they would take a qb.  

Yet, you never know with woody.  He’s clearly agitated their offense keeps sucking and he greenlit trading for rodgers.  He also said they needed a backup qb.   So maybe the jets lay low, go into FA and sign some OL and then at 10 surprise and get a qb.  But that would have to come from woody.  

2 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Maybe just maybe the Jets have interest in one of the other qbs (McCarthy, Penix, Rattler, etc) and meeting with the supposed top guy gives them a reference point on how much difference there is from the top guy to these secondary options.

But the JN geniuses and experts on all things have spoken….it’s a waste of time and it’s a bad decision bc it’s the Jets doing it and EVERYTHING they do is bad and wrong.

Now insert some Saleh golfing and running stairs jokes and a few random clown emojis and it matches 90 % of the posts in every thread.

Information gathering is good. No issues with this. Why the coach wouldn’t sit in for these types of things is completely puzzling. 

32 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Only b/c we know they’re not taking him.  If they were meeting with mccarthy, nix and pratt it would make more sense

A couple of issues here:

1) As has already been mentioned, there are reasons to meet with draft prospects even if you don’t think you are drafting them.

2) FWIW, you don’t KNOW the Jets aren’t taking him. You have very good reason to believe the jets aren’t taking him. You highly doubt the Jets will take him. You don’t think he will make it out of the top 2. You don’t think the Jets will take a QB with their 1st round pick. Etc. But you don’t KNOW it. Last year at this time, many people would have “known” that the Jets weren’t taking an edge rusher in the first round. Funny things happen. New information comes to light, scandals arise out of nowhere, some prospects fall, others rise, etc. Nobody knows anything for sure right now. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Lol. It's always something with you guys.

47 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

It’s exhausting isn’t it?  

Within 30 seconds there’s 4 people complaining or being snarky.

14 years of no playoffs does that to a fanbase.  Win and it all goes away, quickly.  

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Is it really though?

Yes.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Or that far-fetched to think the Jets may make a move for a QB if they fall in love with one?

Yes. it's that far fetched.

As is the idea that Williams will fall to #10

As is the idea it's worth it to this Jets team, in this moment, to trade UP to acquire him.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Anything is possible this offseason

It's really not. 

Nor should it be with a GM with a 24-56 career W/L record leading an organization with the longest playoff drought in the league.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

I do believe they will take a QB.  In my heart of hearts do I see it coming in the 1st?  No.

If Penix, McCarthy, or someone intriguing falls to the 2nd or 3rd?  We’re cooking with something there.

More likely?  4th round.  I firmly have my eyes planted there.

With 2 picks in round 4 yes, that makes sense.  But i doubt pratt is there, so anyone they take there is really a project.  The strategy is to trade out of 10, get another day 2 pick and go after nix or pratt. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I do believe they will take a QB.  In my heart of hearts do I see it coming in the 1st?  No.

If Penix, McCarthy, or someone intriguing falls to the 2nd or 3rd?  We’re cooking with something there.

More likely?  4th round.  I firmly have my eyes planted there.

Joe Milton, 5th round.  2024 #3 QB.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

JN: The Jets should be scouting QBs and should take one with their 1st round pick. Aaron Rodgers is washed up and coming off a major injury. 

Jets: Meeting with Caleb Williams. 

JN: 

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

Maybe if we hadn't won 3 meaningless games in December/January (as is Jets tradition) Caleb would be in play. 

Douglas should have focused a lot more on tanking properly than interviewing someone we'll never get.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

A couple of issues here:

1) As has already been mentioned, there are reasons to meet with draft prospects even if you don’t think you are drafting them.

2) FWIW, you don’t KNOW the Jets aren’t taking him. You have very good reason to believe the jets aren’t taking him. You highly doubt the Jets will take him. You don’t think he will make it out of the top 2. You don’t think the Jets will take a QB with their 1st round pick. Etc. But you don’t KNOW it. Last year at this time, many people would have “known” that the Jets weren’t taking an edge rusher in the first round. Funny things happen. New information comes to light, scandals arise out of nowhere, some prospects fall, others rise, etc. Nobody knows anything for sure right now. 

Fair points.  I guess i should be happy they meet with any qb.

• Upvote 1

There’s strategic reasons to interview players who might end up on a rival team.

Can put him on a white board to understand his thought process.

Ask him about his other interviews to get a feel for how the draft might fall.

Then there’s the chance they really like one of his teammates (i.e., Brendan Rice?) and they get a chance to ask questions about what he’s like in the huddle.

non story.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe if we hadn't won 2 meaningless games in December (as is Jets tradition) Caleb would be in play.  Douglas should have focused a lot more on tanking properly than interviewing someone we'll never get.

I would have loved to lose those two meaningless games and said so at the time, but what did you want Joe Douglas, in particular, to do? 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Is it really though? Or that far-fetched to think the Jets may make a move for a QB if they fall in love with one?

Bruh.  We don't even have a 2nd rounder to make a move up.  What are we gonna do - package 10, Bryce Huff, and three future 1sts?  All to take a QB that Joe Douglas/Saleh might not even be here long enough to see make an ascension?  

Hell yes its far-fetched.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

Yes. it's that far fetched.

As is the idea that Williams will fall to #10

To be fair, I distinctly remember you and I both laughing at the idea (circa January 2023) that Aaron Rodgers would ever get traded here. 

far fetched doesn’t quite mean impossible. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Joe Milton, 5th round.  2024 #3 QB.

I’d be all about it for a pick that usually doesn’t mean much.  Not sure if the team takes on that large of a project though.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With 2 picks in round 4 yes, that makes sense.  But i doubt pratt is there, so anyone they take there is really a project.  The strategy is to trade out of 10, get another day 2 pick and go after nix or pratt. 

Added a some more names I have heard if you are interested.  It’s back in the edited post.

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

That senior bowl tape maybe push him even lower, don't know how realistic of an option he is.

I don’t think it’s realistic at all, tbh.

That being said, for a 5th or later?  F*ck it.  I would do it.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This fanbase had the exact same mindset with Sam Darnold.

We had pick 6 in that class and were able to package picks 37 and 49 in the trade.  Granted, it was to move up to 3 and we had no idea Darnold would be there, but still.

Our first 2 picks this year are 10 and 72.

Pretty massive difference.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Ehhh. Quickly? Ehhhh. 

Oh, it’s always quick.

Go back and look at the posts here after we beat the Eagles and Giants to get to 4-3. People were talking about Saleh getting COTY if we made the playoffs without Aaron Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

We had pick 6 in that class and were able to package picks 37 and 49.

Our first 2 picks this year are 10 and 72.

Pretty massive difference.  

Even at 3rd overall, no one thought he was going later than #2.

Im not saying it’s likely, but you have to be ready for everything just in case the impossible becomes possible.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bruh.  We don't even have a 2nd rounder to make a move up.  What are we gonna do - package 10, Bryce Huff, and three future 1sts?  All to take a QB that Joe Douglas/Saleh might not even be here long enough to see make an ascension?  

Hell yes its far-fetched.

Not having a 2nd round pick this year is not going to be the stopper if they want to trade up. They pick at 10, what's the price to move up from 10 --> 5 if one of these guys slides and the Jets want to hop the Giants to take a QB? It's certainly not 10, three first, and Bryce Huff.

Anything is possible and there are a ton of assumptions out there about what the Jets will / won't do. I don't think anybody actually has any idea what they have planned for better or worse

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Even at 3rd overall, no one thought he was going later than #2.

Im not saying it’s likely, but you have to be ready for everything just in case the impossible becomes possible.

If Williams measures in at 6'0.25" with 8.75" hands, things could get real weird real fast.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Added a some more names I have heard if you are interested.  It’s back in the edited post.

Rattler is a backup, maybe travis but we’re talking about smallish qbs who won’t measure up to the good qbs.  Not a fan of taking a qb just to take one

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Not having a 2nd round pick this year is not going to be the stopper if they want to trade up. They pick at 10, what's the price to move up from 10 --> 5 if one of these guys slides and the Jets want to hop the Giants to take a QB? It's certainly not 10, three first, and Bryce Huff.

Anything is possible and there are a ton of assumptions out there about what the Jets will / won't do. I don't think anybody actually has any idea what they have planned for better or worse

3 and next year's 2 or next year's 1 + 6th or 7th.