Another JD Misstep!

Javon Kinlaw’s contract was adjusted. Instead of his entire cap hit coming in 2024 on his one-year, $7.25 million deal, it’ll be spread out. Kinlaw will carry a $2.85 million cap hit this year, then a $4.4 million dead-cap charge next year.

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

OMG!!! That’s reprehensible!!!

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Super Bowl gone 😞

3 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Sounds like they didn’t care that much. 

3 hours ago, doitny said:

this is what is making you upset??? lol

so if he signs Clowney is he a good GM again?

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Free agent visits the Jets, Jetnation collectively rants:  They are just using us to drive up their price!

Free agent tries to use the Jets to drive up their price and the Jets refuse to bite, Jetnation collectively rants:  Reprehensible!  Another JD misstep!

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Been a hard week for the JetNation  trolls

2 hours ago, doitny said:

if we sign him everything will be alright in Jet land until someone finds something else to bitch about.

why didnt we sign Ashton Davis yet!!! whos going to play Special Teams????? JD never learns.....lol

2 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I could start a thread and say the exact opposite, how NOT signing Jefferson, allowed us to sign Tyron Smith. But I won't. At least not yet 🤣 

I will let you dwell in your misery. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

What were all the other missteps that have you unhappy about.  

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Everyone here was for hiring Saleh.  Now they want him fired because he couldnt win with ZW, another screw up for JD even though pretty much everyone had him 2nd to TL.   He also had a 1st year roster that was gutted in order to rebuild.  But hey, everyone wanted JD too.

Every move that doesn’t work out wasn’t a bad move.  There isn’t a GM anywhere, ever who doesn’t have misses on his resume.  Lots don’t have Qwincy, Reed, Breece, Sauce, GW, JJ, etc on their resume.  And after the fact it’s easy to complain.  No one knew LT would give it all up, that Huff would go from a high of 5 sacks over his career to 10.   Sometimes you screw up, they all do, sometimes shlt happens and we just have to blame someone

Signing Cobb was a screw up how?  

What's the jets' record with Douglas running the show?  That's all you need to know

Because Cobb sucked sweaty anus

• Thumb Down 1

Excuse me, but it is ridiculous to believe that a player offered the Jets the chance to match and they blew it by not getting back to him.  Wake up!!!!   They weren't sold on him.  Maybe they would have re-signed him but he was not a priority.  That's what happened.

Now for reality.  The 2023 Jets had an awesome defense.  That does not mean that that defense didn't have flaws.  They had a safety who had the most missed tackles and surrendered the most touchdowns of anyone at his position.  Thank goodness, he's gone.  We also were terrible at stopping the run, particularly up the middle.  Quinnen drew the double team so it was up to the other tackle to make the stops.  That would be Jefferson.  The author wants us to believe that the defense will go to hell because Jefferson is gone.   Then he wants us to believe that the anchor of our defense was lost for $3.6 MM.

If it wasn't for Whitehead, Jefferson would have been the second one I would have wanted to see out the door.  The Jets knew that and were looking to upgrade a weakness.  That is why they didn't get back to him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

What's the jets' record with Douglas running the show?  That's all you need to know

Cobb was supposed to be a #5 at best.  Hopefully a 6 if Mims capitalized on his last chance, or a UDFA impressed(Garrett, Davis, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb/Mims/UDFA).  Cobb was supposed to be a "teacher" to the young WRs, helping them along in an AR offense.  Not sure why anyone would bring this dude up as some sort of evidence of anything, one way or the other.  Especially when Lazard is staring you in the face as an actual bad signing.  

Do you think if we had, say Braxton Berrios last year instead of Cobb, we would have magically made the playoffs?

14 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

The Jets knew that and were looking to upgrade a weakness.  That is why they didn't get back to him

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN, the green and white “wanted” veteran defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson to return to the team in 2024.

“The Jets were given a chance to match the one-year, $3.6 million contract offer he received from the [Cleveland] Browns, but they took too long to respond, two sources said,” Cimini explained in an article posted on Sunday, March 17. “Jefferson had agreed to terms with Cleveland by the time the Jets answered. Things move fast in free agency.”

7 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Cobb was supposed to be a #5 at best.  Hopefully a 6 if Mims capitalized on his last chance, or a UDFA impressed(Garrett, Davis, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb/Mims/UDFA).  Cobb was supposed to be a "teacher" to the young WRs, helping them along in an AR offense.  Not sure why anyone would bring this dude up as some sort of evidence of anything, one way or the other.  Especially when Lazard is staring you in the face as an actual bad signing.  

Do you think if we had, say Braxton Berrios last year instead of Cobb, we would have magically made the playoffs?

Oh yeah Mims...

Another Douglas misstep....

8 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Excuse me, but it is ridiculous to believe that a player offered the Jets the chance to match and they blew it by not getting back to him.  Wake up!!!!   They weren't sold on him.  Maybe they would have re-signed him but he was not a priority.  That's what happened.

Now for reality.  The 2023 Jets had an awesome defense.  That does not mean that that defense didn't have flaws.  They had a safety who had the most missed tackles and surrendered the most touchdowns of anyone at his position.  Thank goodness, he's gone.  We also were terrible at stopping the run, particularly up the middle.  Quinnen drew the double team so it was up to the other tackle to make the stops.  That would be Jefferson.  The author wants us to believe that the defense will go to hell because Jefferson is gone.   Then he wants us to believe that the anchor of our defense was lost for $3.6 MM.

If it wasn't for Whitehead, Jefferson would have been the second one I would have wanted to see out the door.  The Jets knew that and were looking to upgrade a weakness.  That is why they didn't get back to him.

the jets defense wasnt awesome. it was pretty good. but not elite

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He is a player that over performed his contract last year and was good and should have been (resigned, re-signed) very quickly at that price.

Quinton Jefferson,  6 sacks in 469 snaps

Quinnen Williams, 5.5 sacks in 794 snaps

Solomon Thomas, 5 sacks in 484 snaps

Playing next to Quinnen Williams was big reason he got all those sacks.    Any decent Dt going to do good playing next to him( no big loss ). Why Raider signing Christian Wilkins was a game changer for their defense line.  The Raiders defense lineman been working out every day by themselves in the Raiders facility for the last two months.   They want to be best defense line in all of football next year. 

8 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

We also were terrible at stopping the run, particularly up the middle.  Quinnen drew the double team so it was up to the other tackle to make the stops.  That would be Jefferson.  The author wants us to believe that the defense will go to hell because Jefferson is gone.   Then he wants us to believe that the anchor of our defense was lost for $3.6 MM.

Al Woods was signed to take Rankins spot as run stuffer and QJ was to sub in on passing situations. That’s why QJ pass rush metrics were better than Quincy’s… he was fresh. Understanding that signing Kinlaw at 2X the $ than QJ wasn’t sound based on performance. Perhaps Kinlaw is ready to break out, but I think Saleh would overpay to have his guy over a savy vet. Losing Woods to injury early on this season affected the run defense rotations.

Yesterday I woke up to an interesting debate centred around whether the Jets had improved or got worse at defensive tackle, based on adding Quinton Jefferson and Al Woods and losing Sheldon Rankins and Nathan Shepherd. So I thought I'd explore that question today. So I’ll admit I’m cheating slightly here. The debate was actually centred on Quinton Jefferson vs Sheldon Rankins, but I don’t think that makes a lot of sense. 

The Jets rotate their defensive line more than most other teams in football and it’s clear that their plan this year is to replace Sheldon Rankins with not one but two players. Al Woods is very comparable to Sheldon in terms of his ability against the run, and Quinton Jefferson is a better pass rusher by almost every single metric.”

33 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Raiders defense lineman been working out every day by themselves in the Raiders facility for the last two months.   They want to be best defense line in all of football next year.

spongebob squarepants sleeping GIF

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I don't like the Kinlaw signing one bit. If this is how much he's getting paid for being a JAG. Can you just imagine what we'll have to pay to re-sign him for actually performing good after this year? 

JD doesn’t care, he’ll let him walk and sign someone else to a one year deal.  

9 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Cobb was brought in to help the WRs to transition to the offense.  To help the WRs get a better understanding of what Rodgers likes and expects.  
Jets and WRs seemed to think he did his job.  That he helped some of the young UDFA WRs make the roster.  
Why would anyone think that was a misstep? 

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN, the green and white “wanted” veteran defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson to return to the team in 2024.

“The Jets were given a chance to match the one-year, $3.6 million contract offer he received from the [Cleveland] Browns, but they took too long to respond, two sources said,” Cimini explained in an article posted on Sunday, March 17. “Jefferson had agreed to terms with Cleveland by the time the Jets answered. Things move fast in free agency.”

Are you ******* serious with this?   Saying that they want him back is code for he is not a big douchebag and we appreciate what he did here.  Believing this is like believing that Pennington is taking karate so his shoulder is renewed, or Anthony Becht is taking ballet lessons so he has improved his balance.  It's off-season filler.

They literally signed Kinlaw and Fotu to replace Jefferson and Woods, then re-signed Solomon Thomas.  They have a glaring need at WR and just dedicated $20M to LT.  Locking up another $4M on what would be your 4th or 5th DT would be an obvious mistake, but by all means bash them for it.  The D was good in 2022 without him.  This is not the straw that stirs the drink.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Jets were given a chance to match the one-year, $3.6 million contract offer he received from the Browns, but they took too long to respond, two sources said. Jefferson had agreed to terms with Cleveland by the time the Jets answered."

- Rich Cimini

The NY Jets failed to re-sign Quinton Jefferson due to their own incompetence

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-wanted-re-sign-quinton-jefferson-messed-up

SAME OLD JETS

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, neckdemon said:

the jets defense wasnt awesome. it was pretty good. but not elite

I am a big naysayer, especially of JD and Saleh. But we won 7 games with basically NO OFFENSE.  The defense, at times didn't pass the eye test but the numbers speak for themselves. With just a half ass QB, we win 10 games last year. Problem is, we're banking on a 41 year old. Not how good teams operate but that is the Jets way.

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Jets were given a chance to match the one-year, $3.6 million contract offer he received from the Browns, but they took too long to respond, two sources said. Jefferson had agreed to terms with Cleveland by the time the Jets answered."

- Rich Cimini

The NY Jets failed to re-sign Quinton Jefferson due to their own incompetence

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-wanted-re-sign-quinton-jefferson-messed-up

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Locking up another $4M on what would be your 4th or 5th DT would be an obvious mistake, but by all means bash them for it.  The D was good in 2022 without him.  This is not the straw that stirs the drink.

Once again, You missed the point. QJ signed INSTEAD of Kinlaw, saves you around $4 mil to put towards filling that “glaring need at WR”.

No idea what point you were trying to make with this Twilight Zone rant. Cimini has well connected sources… like him or not.

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you ******* serious with this?   Saying that they want him back is code for he is not a big douchebag and we appreciate what he did here.  Believing this is like believing that Pennington is taking karate so his shoulder is renewed, or Anthony Becht is taking ballet lessons so he has improved his balance.  It's off-season filler.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Once again, You missed the point. QJ signed INSTEAD of Kinlaw, saves you around $4 mil to put towards filling that “glaring need at WR”.

No idea what point you were trying to make with this Twilight Zone rant. Cimini has well connected sources… like him or not.

If you have a point make it.  You want to debate Kinlaw vs. Jefferson?  Fine.  The idea that Douglas was sniped when he wanted Jefferson back because he was too slow to pick up the phone is a joke.  That is what you were quoting.  The Jets were stacked at DT.  The Jets are still stacked at DT.  If you point is that you prefer Jefferson to Kinlaw, why not say that instead of quoting Cimini's moronic hit piece? 

• Upvote 1

If there is one thing I would say this staff is average to slightly above average is defense and knowing the scheme and players that fit.  I'll trust Bob and Jeff let Joe know their preferences/needs and hopefully they are in sync.  Now the offense is another story where the coaching/development of OL is so below average it validates the idea of filling with vets and going WR at 10 assuming one of the three are there.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you have a point make it.  You want to debate Kinlaw vs. Jefferson?  Fine.  The idea that Douglas was sniped when he wanted Jefferson back because he was too slow to pick up the phone is a joke.  That is what you were quoting.  The Jets were stacked at DT.  The Jets are still stacked at DT. 

I have said it in some of my other responses. Didn’t know I had to keep repeating it in every post.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Cobb was brought in to help the WRs to transition to the offense.  To help the WRs get a better understanding of what Rodgers likes and expects.  
Jets and WRs seemed to think he did his job.  That he helped some of the young UDFA WRs make the roster.  
Why would anyone think that was a misstep? 

He caught 5 passes all year....lol

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I have said it in some of my other responses. Didn’t know I had to keep repeating it in every post.

Dude, you quoted me for no apparent reason.  Don't complain to me about replying.  Jefferson wanted the Jets to match so the Browns would up their offer.  Period.  It was business for all of them. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, you quoted me for no apparent reason.  Don't complain to me about replying.  Jefferson wanted the Jets to match so the Browns would up their offer.  Period.  It was business for all of them. 

No apparent reason? You asked me a question… rudely, I might add.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you ******* serious with this? 

“Jefferson wanted the Jets to match so the Browns would up their offer.  Period.  It was business for all of them”. 

Conjecture on your part. You’re telling me you have better sources then Cimini?

If we’re done here, no point in replying and we’ll agree to disagree. 😁