Robert Saleh Press Conference On Monday

45 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you’re parcells and win you can play that card.  You can also be BB if you win.  

Also another thing that really has turned (at least me) off about saleh, and i know this gets hashed here a lot - he’s strictly a defensive guy in a league that skews offense.  It’s hard to contemplate that in this world where qb is everything and the rules keep making it harder for defenses, our hc abdicates that side of coaching.  Jd’s track record is what it is, but at least he’s trying to fix that side of it.  

35 minutes ago, BP said:

agree 100%

And don’t forget this

“If the other team can’t score, we can’t lose”

-Bob Saleh 

He actually said that last year and doesn’t realize how stupid he looks saying it.

The "we embarrassed the opposing QBs" line felt like he was planting the flag that he sees himself as a DC, rather than a HC.  It was almost like he decided he was going to admit it without having any shame.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Should’ve fired his ass already to be honest. If the Jets have a good year, he’s going to get some notoriety for it but the reality is this is a pretty stacked team if healthy that should win regardless. I’ve seen enough of Saleh to know that he is  not a good head coach. 

so if he makes the playoffs you wont give him credit for being a good HC because this is a stacked team?

but you will kill him for winning 7 games with the worst QB room, one WR and a boatload of OL injuries?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

so if he makes the playoffs you wont give him credit for being a good HC because this is a stacked team?

but you will kill him for winning 7 games with the worst QB room, one WR and a boatload of OL injuries?

It's funny people will slam JD (rightfully so) for not having a viable backup QB option for last year and then crap on Saleh for winning 7 games. And guys like @TuscanyTile2 will repeatedly state that they had a punt returner as WR2 and no OL but will still slam Saleh.

I've asked which head coach would have won more than 7 games last year given the injuries and lack of backup QB and to date no one has been able to give me an answer. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

It's funny people will slam JD (rightfully so) for not having a viable backup QB option for last year and then crap on Saleh for winning 7 games. And guys like @TuscanyTile2 will repeatedly state that they had a punt returner as WR2 and no OL but will still slam Saleh.

I've asked which head coach would have won more than 7 games last year given the injuries and lack of backup QB and to date no one has been able to give me an answer. 

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Stefanski.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Yeah, ok 😅. How many more wins would they have been good for? 

Why the laughter?  The Browns went 11-6 and the Steelers went 10-7.  Both were in very similar situations to Saleh.

• Post of the Week 1

I just cannot get over how much he changed. He is on the same platform as Bowles’ when it comes down to showing emotion. This is the same guy from San Fran? I don’t think so. Do I want you to throw down the podium? **** yeah I do. Show some passion. 

He just sits there, penalty after penalty, yet zero emotion. You don’t want to yell at your players? Then go coach flag football. These are grown men. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with getting in someone’s face and lighting a fire within them. 

Yet during Hard Knocks, he’s throwing F-Bomb after F-Bomb that was clearly, clearly, clearly out of character. I’m just over this glorified defensive coordinator. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why the laughter?  The Browns went 11-6 and the Steelers went 10-7.  Both were in very similar situations to Saleh.

Neither of those teams had the absolute trash level of QB play the Jets had. And don't forget we had no OL and a punt returner as WR2! How do those 2 coaches change that?

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The "we embarrassed the opposing QBs" line felt like he was planting the flag that he sees himself as a DC, rather than a HC.  It was almost like he decided he was going to admit it without having any shame.

Well to be fair he sure as hell wasn’t going to brag about a Zach Wilson-led offense in any way.  He’d have had to be a raving lunatic to try to do that.

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mike Tomlin and Kevin Stefanski.

Tomlin yes but not Stefanski

in 2020 he won 11 games with Baker. 10 times better than anything we have or had.

in 2021 he won 8 with Baker, Keenan and Mullins. with Baker starting 14 games.

in 2022 he went 7-10 with Brissett and Watson. again much better than what we have

last year he won 11 games. he went 9-2 with Watson and Flacco. but with DTR, PJ Walker and Driscol he went 2-4

there is no evidence he wins with bad QBs.

Tomlin, Parcells and Gibbs are the only 3 we have proof that can win with bad QBs. anybody with a QB as bad as Zach, Boyle and Sieman win 3 games if there lucky

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Reporter:  Coach, this was a disappointing 7-10 team last year.  What gives you hope that you can count on a 40 year old quarterback to lead this team to the playoffs?

Saleh:  This team reminds me of the caterpillar that becomes a butterfly.  But not your normal butterfly, more like a Komodo dragon that can fly and terrify its opponents.  We are going to be like if a wolf was bred with a Python snake who was then bred with a jellyfish....but a jellyfish that can fly.  You guys should probably sit down for this, I've got a story to tell you....

125589394.0-fotor-202403231271.png.b91bdbaa4f26c817f6ec82a8e08f3066.png

Jetzalcoatl

• Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Neither of those teams had the absolute trash level of QB play the Jets had. And don't forget we had no OL and a punt returner as WR2! How do those 2 coaches change that?

Flacco played very well for the Browns this past year but we saw how awful he was with the Jets the 2 years prior.

As far as the Steelers, Pickett, Mason Rudolph, and Mitch Trubisky?   That's absolute garbage.  Yet Tomlin didn't sit there compiling W/L records of HCs when they lose their starting QB in an effort to convince the FO that he deserves another year.  Tomlin dealt with the situation, figured it out, and managed to win 10 games.

The weapinzz on the Steelers and Browns are comparably awful to the Jets.

The OL for the Browns was absolutely decimated last year, including both tackles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/list-of-every-browns-player-lost-for-the-2023-season-to-injury/ar-AA1lsKld

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well to be fair he sure as hell wasn’t going to brag about a Zach Wilson-led offense in any way.  He’d have had to be a raving lunatic to try to do that.

Like when ZW outplayed Patrick Mahomes?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets defense was so forgettably good last year some people actually believe this.  Incredible.  

The Chiefs defense was so forgettably good last year some people actually don't believe this.  Incredible.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

I appreciate and respect your line of thinking and questions.  It’s so easy to knock GMs, Coaches, etc without taking a deeper dive.

We all have some level of real world experience about what makes a good to great leader.  I think many on this board, including me, do NOT see certain ‘winning’ attributes in (Saleh).  

1. Accountability (recurring penalties, playing underpeforming vets)

2. Adaptability/Flexibility (doing the same thing over & over, expecting different results)

3. Leading Edge Strategy/Creativity (bias to D in an Offensive league, plays checkers while others play chess)

4. Culture (lost locker room 2 years in a row)

5. Tough decision making (most imagine him as the leading voice to retain Lawson, keep CJ @ $17M and draft D over O in round 1 last year) 

6. Game time (slow starts, poor clock mgt, not playing the numbers)

7. Urgency (too late switching QBs 2 years in a row)

8. Honesty (after this year ‘We took the next step”)

9. Learning from mistakes (see #2 above)

10. Self awareness (PR mistake after mistake, lack of self scouting)

Yes, there are clearly some things to like .. almost all on Defense but even there do we really believe this is a guy who can win without elite talent?

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I just cannot get over how much he changed. He is on the same platform as Bowles’ when it comes down to showing emotion. This is the same guy from San Fran? I don’t think so. Do I want you to throw down the podium? **** yeah I do. Show some passion. 

He just sits there, penalty after penalty, yet zero emotion. You don’t want to yell at your players? Then go coach flag football. These are grown men. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with getting in someone’s face and lighting a fire within them. 

Yet during Hard Knocks, he’s throwing F-Bomb after F-Bomb that was clearly, clearly, clearly out of character. I’m just over this glorified defensive coordinator. 

I remember a Chicago game on MNF where Ditka grabbed a player and was screaming in his face and then shoved him back out on the field.... it was effin great!   Show this grave digger the clip and maybe he will get it... but i doubt it. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Salehs strength seems to be a motivational speaker which does not always and is current case does not equal to results on the field

what is really scary is jd, woody and whoever else interviewed him did not see this?

I can only think they felt his staff would carry him and he would be great for quotes and press conferences

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yes, there are clearly some things to like .. almost all on Defense but even there do we really believe this is a guy who can win without elite talent?

Idk, can we see how he does when he doesn’t have the worst QB in the league? 

Like average QB play? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Salehs strength seems to be a motivational speaker which does not always and is current case does not equal to results on the field

what is really scary is jd, woody and whoever else interviewed him did not see this?

I can only think they felt his staff would carry him and he would be great for quotes and press conferences

The thing is he is awful at press conferences.

I’m with you though.  I once interviewed a guy who was almost too good saying the right things.  Only thing is he was 20 minutes late and we caught him in a lie about the trains running behind schedule.

Major red flag ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Idk, can we see how he does when he doesn’t have the worst QB in the league? 

Like average QB play? 

I’m with you brother!  

PS.  I forgot to mention poor organizational skills ;).  Jets were rated least efficient practice time (or something like that) by their players.  

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The thing is he is awful at press conferences.

I’m with you though.  I once interviewed a guy who was almost too good saying the right things.  Only thing is he was 20 minutes late and we caught him in a lie about the trains were running behind schedule.

Major red flag ;)

You know this topic could become its own thread. Not an interview but I had a girl work for me who was always late

one day she simply comes up to me and says yes I was late but my boyfriend and I were making great love

abd for all of you animals on here - no she was not hot

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

How does any QB play well with that ?

Its been a busy off season, we continue to work hard prepping for the draft and watching a ton of film.   You have to trust the process, we are looking for guys that love ball..... last year wasnt good enough we know we have to be better....Woody and Joe have been great....as far as the injuries we are looking at everything .....Graeme McDowell not happy about being put on the clock after giving on-course  interview | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

You know this topic could become its own thread. Not an interview but I had a girl work for me who was always late

one day she simply comes up to me and says yes I was late but my boyfriend and I were making great love

abd for all of you animals on here - no she was not hot

How’s the family?  I recall you sharing about your son …

Hope all is well and everyone is at least enjoying the pre-game tailgates.

Been looking to take my boys to a game but feel they might need 10 years of coping skill therapy BEFORE going.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, BP said:

agree 100%

And don’t forget this

“If the other team can’t score, we can’t lose”

-Bob Saleh 

He actually said that last year and doesn’t realize how stupid he looks saying it.

Speak it into existence, my friend!

Get on the 0-0-17 season now everyone.

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I appreciate and respect your line of thinking and questions.  It’s so easy to knock GMs, Coaches, etc without taking a deeper dive.

We all have some level of real world experience about what makes a good to great leader.  I think many on this board, including me, do NOT see certain ‘winning’ attributes in (Saleh).  

1. Accountability (recurring penalties, playing underpeforming vets)

2. Adaptability/Flexibility (doing the same thing over & over, expecting different results)

3. Leading Edge Strategy/Creativity (bias to D in an Offensive league, plays checkers while others play chess)

4. Culture (lost locker room 2 years in a row)

5. Tough decision making (most imagine him as the leading voice to retain Lawson, keep CJ @ $17M and draft D over O in round 1 last year) 

6. Game time (slow starts, poor clock mgt, not playing the numbers)

7. Urgency (too late switching QBs 2 years in a row)

8. Honesty (after this year ‘We took the next step”)

9. Learning from mistakes (see #2 above)

10. Self awareness (PR mistake after mistake, lack of self scouting)

Well he won 7 games with dog sh*t talent at the most important position in the NFL.