Baltimore Bridge collapse

Francis Scott Key bridge hit by Chinese container ship leaving port, and the whole bridge goes down. The ship may have been having mechanical issues and hit a pillar of the bridge, with up to 20 people missing. 

This happened at 1:30am, imagine if it was rush hour.  Tragic nonetheless....

39 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Francis Scott Key bridge hit by Chinese container ship leaving port, and the whole bridge goes down. The ship may have been having mechanical issues and hit a pillar of the bridge, with up to 20 people missing. 

This happened at 1:30am, imagine if it was rush hour.  Tragic nonetheless....

Absolutely wild stuff.  Looking at the video it looks like the carrier ship loses power 2x in immediate succession prior to colliding with the foundation.  The bridge folded like a kinect (the carrier ship weighs 190 million pounds)

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Absolutely wild stuff.  Looking at the video it looks like the carrier ship loses power 2x in immediate succession prior to colliding with the foundation.  The bridge folded like a kinect (the carrier ship weighs 190 million pounds)

Yeah no steerage from the ship by the looks of it

Just now, nj meadowlands said:

It's a freak accident, but it would be nice if it the absolutely desperate need for infrastructure investment was brought into the front of the public conscience....

I agree. Up here in Maine we are seeing some upgrades in bridge and interstate highways after the infrastructure bill that was passed. We have plenty of old structures that need help.

9 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I agree. Up here in Maine we are seeing some upgrades in bridge and interstate highways after the infrastructure bill that was passed. We have plenty of old structures that need help.

Where in Maine?  Will be in Portland for 5 days around Memorial Day.  Best restaurant and brewery recommendations are appreciated ✌️

12 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Where in Maine?  Will be in Portland for 5 days around Memorial Day.  Best restaurant and brewery recommendations are appreciated ✌️

I'm in central Maine, not alot here haha.

In Portland,  go to the old port area and check out Gritty McDuffs pub.  They have a brewery and food. Also in the old port you should try The Porthole, it's a blend of southern and northern foods.   Hot Suppa on Congress St is also super good for food.

Prayers for the victims. 

If this had happened at 7:30am, there would be hundreds of dead.

Likely operational phases:

1) Search and rescue of survivors

2) Recovery of victims

3) Clearing enough bridge debris to get a shipping lane open

4) General cleanup

5) Rebuild

It's going to be a long couple of years for the residents of that area.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

video shows the ship approaching the Key Bridge, loses and regains power and then slams the structure and the collapse  Holy crap.

Best video summary I’ve seen, good lord, at rush hour that would have been really bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

It's a freak accident, but it would be nice if it the absolutely desperate need for infrastructure investment was brought into the front of the public conscience....

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

what?

What does infastructure investment have to do with this bridge? A fully loaded cargo ship will take out ANY bridge on the planet if they meet up. 

There was nothing wrong with this bridge

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

what?

What does infastructure investment have to do with this bridge? A fully loaded cargo ship will take out ANY bridge on the planet if they meet up. 

Other than no protection around the pillars from damage by passing ships, sure.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

what?

Oh, nothing at all.  But there's now a major, collapsed bridge in the middle of the Patapsco River that's going to create a months long nightmare.  Infrastructure rebuild is a separate, MAJOR issue that I just hope gets more attention.  

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

video shows the ship approaching the Key Bridge, loses and regains power and then slams the structure and the collapse  Holy crap.

Holy hell. Can't wait to have nightmares about this now every single night for the rest of my life.

17 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you have any idea how big that freight ship is? 

Sure do, that's why new bridges have much more protection to try to minimize the damages caused.

18 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

No bridge is safe from a runaway cargo ship. Just take the L

There is no L to take, the bridge supports were not fully protected.  There are modern methods to give more protection from these bigger ships. Back in 77 when this bridge opened, ships were not this gigantic.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Watch again and look at the size of this ship. Pillars?  LOL. There are no pillars that could stop this behemoth from the point of contact. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Watch again and look at the size of this ship. Pillars?  LOL. There are no pillars that could stop this behemoth from the point of contact. 

Well the pillars aren't the protection,  they are the bridge supports.  Maybe an artificial island could've helped by diverting the ship, because it had dolphin diverters but they weren't sufficient in this case.  

Either way,  expect more upgrades coming to many bridges across the country after this 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I mean it’s not a cigarette boat it’s a cargo ship. That’s knocking down anything in its path. 

• Upvote 2

Horrible accident.  I’ve been under and over that bridge many times.  I can’t say it was poorly made but it sure seemed a little spindly.  I think there could have been some bolsters around the main support to at least deflect a ship.  The bottom is pretty soft so a ship could be stopped.

But the real issue is why the ship lost power.  Those ships have at least three gensets and a power management system that will automatically start and put a genset on line if one fails.  From the video it looks like the ship lost the lights and then propulsion power at the same time.  The next in line genset came on, restored the lights.  The propulsion was restored but then the genset dropped the load.  At that point there wasn’t much they could do but drop the anchors.

its a huge mess.  There is a lot of traffic that goes over that bridge.  There are alternate routes around the city but the port will be shut down until they clear the wreckage.

• Upvote 1