Jets re-sign Ashtyn Davis

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yet another 1 year deal. 

I realize some of these 1 year deals are probably players wanting a "prove it" year to get a bigger contract the following year but it feels like there are an unusual amount of 1 year deals for this team.  I wonder if some of this is coming at the behest of Woody, in case he decides to clean house next year?  

While this could be part of it, I also suspect it's just in recognition that Rodgers could leave and put us into rebuild mode any given off season now. I expect a lot of these while he's around.

Also, the Jets will have pretty big dead cap hits / restructured and deferred hits over the next couple years, and have a bunch of major players to resign the next couple years. JD needs to keep some flexibility regardless 

43 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yet another 1 year deal. 

I realize some of these 1 year deals are probably players wanting a "prove it" year to get a bigger contract the following year but it feels like there are an unusual amount of 1 year deals for this team.  I wonder if some of this is coming at the behest of Woody, in case he decides to clean house next year?  

its also the players not wanting to because like you said if a new HC/GM is here they might not like the direction of the team.

we all assume "clean house" to be just to change the coaching and front office. but imagine if the new GM really wants to clean house and wants to trade GW cause hes not going to pay him in 2 years and maybe Sause too and load up on draft picks to build the team "his way".

i would loose my mind. but Woody could probably be talked into anything. what players would want a multi year contract if that could happen.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

I like this. Guy hasn't had a ton of playing time but seems to make plays when he's out there.

My biggest concern is his striking resemblance to the villain in 3 o'clock high.

Buddy Ridell lives on!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, Larz said:

With JBC and Oliver in the mix in the secondary and Sherwood the primary backup up LB the defense is almost completely set before the draft. 

kudos JD. 

I would like to see them bring in a guy to compete with Barnes and Surratt but honestly that could be an UDFA.  

they legit could draft all offense with the first 5 picks. JD will probably trade one or both of the 7th round picks but wow he can just go after oline and WR like a madman now.  

Yes! Don't forget to draft a decent backup RB too, we are thin there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

Loved this! Davis is starter caliber now. Gotten better each season. Might end up taking Clarks job midway through.

Clark is a solid vet. If he hasn't athletically declined, the job is his. A case could be made for Ashtyn to start over Adams.

• Upvote 2

AD is the kind of hungry homegrown player you want to keep around.

Did track just so he could go to school and have a chance to walk on at Cal.

Played offense in HS but switched to DB because that’s what the coaches told them he needed to do to get on the field.

With his track speed they should give him a crack at returning KO’s now that dudes will have a runway under the new rules.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Clark is a solid vet. If he hasn't athletically declined, the job is his. A case could be made for Ashtyn to start over Adams.

I thought Adams was great last on making plays on the ball. Good news is we have 3 starting caliber under the radar safeties.

• Upvote 1

Ashtyn Davis contract terms, from Jason at Overthecap. Only $1.4M against the cap, due to the 4-year qualifer rule:

Ashtyn Davis signed a one year, $2.742 million contract with the Jets on April 11, 2024. Davis received a signing bonus worth $167,500. The contract qualifies for a reduced salary cap charge under the four year qualifier rule.

https://overthecap.com/player/ashtyn-davis/8808

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Ashtyn Davis contract terms, from Jason at Overthecap. Only $1.4M against the cap, due to the 4-year qualifer rule:

Ashtyn Davis signed a one year, $2.742 million contract with the Jets on April 11, 2024. Davis received a signing bonus worth $167,500. The contract qualifies for a reduced salary cap charge under the four year qualifier rule.

https://overthecap.com/player/ashtyn-davis/8808

A solid, young player at a position of ned for peanuts.

The clinic continues.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

On 4/11/2024 at 12:12 PM, Matt39 said:

Bectons out of football. Didn’t realize about Mims or Perine. That’s a pretty loose term of in the league 

Nowhere near as loose as saying Bectons out of football at this point in time.  

On 4/11/2024 at 4:14 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

If your a jet fan, you have to be thrilled with how this offseason turned out.  We got 2 stud olineman and a stud receiver and did not have to cripple our cap or long term future.  

Now are there concerns about injury?  Sure but any player is suscpetible to injury so I am not really concerned about that.

What is really going to make this offseason is how this draft plays out.  I still think Baktahri is coming in here for depth and a pinch starter so I do not think tackle is a need at 10..

I think its a receiver or Bowers.  Or maybe a trade down.

Joe D will get it done.  We all know this.

My prediction is the Jets trade down to a team looking to take a qb and Joe D gets an olineman and wr with his 1st 2 picks.

Joe D is going to put on a clinic in 3 weeks.

Get ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find a trade down scenario unlikely. Let's say a team wanted to trade up for the 5th best QB - Nix or Penix. There is a slim possibility McCarthy slides to 10, but this is highly unlikely IMO. 

Ok, so lets say a team like Nix or Penix. Who? Lets say Minn already moved up for McCarthy. Next QB needy team is the Broncos, why move up two spots for a QB? Just sit there and wait and take him. Ok. So lets say its the Raiders. They have a reason to move up to hop the Broncos and take  Penix or Nix at 10. Fine. But that doesn't yield you a 2nd rounder. A 3rd rounder and some change at best. So I'm just trying to rack my brain to figure out a win-win trade scenario where the Jets walk away with a 2nd rounder via trade down. Maybe a trade with TB at 26? That would def. yield a 2nd rounder and then some. But does that make sense for either team? Not really. Maybe the Steelers move up for a QB??? I'm really reaching at this point. But they COULD with Russ being an ancient 35. But in win now mode, not happening. The Steelers are not taking a QB.

So I could see a potential trade but not for a QB. If someone really likes Bowers or Fashanu or one of the top Edge rushers, maybe a move up would happen and the Jets could slide down. But not net a 2nd rounder. 

58 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I find a trade down scenario unlikely. Let's say a team wanted to trade up for the 5th best QB - Nix or Penix. There is a slim possibility McCarthy slides to 10, but this is highly unlikely IMO. 

Ok, so lets say a team like Nix or Penix. Who? Lets say Minn already moved up for McCarthy. Next QB needy team is the Broncos, why move up two spots for a QB? Just sit there and wait and take him. Ok. So lets say its the Raiders. They have a reason to move up to hop the Broncos and take  Penix or Nix at 10. Fine. But that doesn't yield you a 2nd rounder. A 3rd rounder and some change at best. So I'm just trying to rack my brain to figure out a win-win trade scenario where the Jets walk away with a 2nd rounder via trade down. Maybe a trade with TB at 26? That would def. yield a 2nd rounder and then some. But does that make sense for either team? Not really. Maybe the Steelers move up for a QB??? I'm really reaching at this point. But they COULD with Russ being an ancient 35. But in win now mode, not happening. The Steelers are not taking a QB.

So I could see a potential trade but not for a QB. If someone really likes Bowers or Fashanu or one of the top Edge rushers, maybe a move up would happen and the Jets could slide down. But not net a 2nd rounder. 

drop down a few and get a 3rd.  Bowers might still be there.  Then they can trade down again.  As long as they don't do a Parcells and draft bad players with all the picks.