Tackle or Receiver in round 1?

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I believe there are a few OL that would be great for us, but I don't think any of them necessitate #10 overall. I think there are 7-8 OL in round 1 worth taking at various points. I am hoping we can see this and recoup a 2nd rounder. 

you're right, there's several OL who would be good fits with the jets, and if all but alt are there at 10, and the jets aren't serious about bowers, it will be interesting to see if they do trade back or take their fav OL

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you're right, there's several OL who would be good fits with the jets, and if all but alt are there at 10, and the jets aren't serious about bowers, it will be interesting to see if they do trade back or take their fav OL

yeah, as we saw with becton over wirfs, it'll be hard to predict who is higher on JDs board... and if that ranking is warranted

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Agree. I think JJ McCarthy is the guy being incorporated into all the pre-draft rumors and wouldn't be shocked if he got picked after Penix.

Exactly my point in all of this. I've never said "no OT", I'm simply saying if you cannot admit that the argument some are using to rationalize an OT with pick 10 isn't identical to the argument for a QB, then it's steeped in bias and not logic.

Zach just needs the greatest OL ever

This is a situation where we could go either way and it would be a win.  WR deeper do you can grab one at 72.  I’m a big fan of trading back but it depends on how the first 9 shakes out.  If a QB drops or if somebody really wants Bowers or an OL badly 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Being 40 in a collision sport makes you injury prone. Period. You cannot rationalize away age.

Well in the case of that 40 year old QB being someone like Rothlesberger I would agree he's a tree who can't move and never could lol . Brady played to 45, not injury prone, so that hurts your argument with 5 healthy years in his 40's  and Rodgers sustained a major Injury on a freak play where his foot got stuck in the turf and snapped his achillies other than that Rodgers looks to be in great shape and from all accounts is ,,,, he's also showing up for Voluntary OTA workouts yet again and that does not have the feel of a player who is in trouble coming off the Achillies or he would certainly not be doing that. Funny how this 40 year old came off this serious injury faster than most 20 year olds do so you can't just expalin that away. The guy is in top shape, takes care of his body, and should give us a good solid season. What do Rodgers and Brady have in Common ? They both take their conditioning seriously and probably beyond the norm of most QB's 

So I'm banking on a guy who keeps himself in shape and you are banking on age which in this day and age with advancements in just about everything fitness you should be leaning toward the history of the player a little more .

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Well in the case of that 40 year old QB being someone like Rothlesberger I would agree he's a tree who can't move and never could lol . Brady played to 45, not injury prone, so that hurts your argument with 5 healthy years in his 40's  and Rodgers sustained a major Injury on a freak play where his foot got stuck in the turf and snapped his achillies other than that Rodgers looks to be in great shape and from all accounts is ,,,, he's also showing up for Voluntary OTA workouts yet again and that does not have the feel of a player who is in trouble coming off the Achillies or he would certainly not be doing that. Funny how this 40 year old came off this serious injury faster than most 20 year olds do so you can't just expalin that away. The guy is in top shape, takes care of his body, and should give us a good solid season. What do Rodgers and Brady have in Common ? They both take their conditioning seriously and probably beyond the norm of most QB's 

So I'm banking on a guy who keeps himself in shape and you are banking on age which in this day and age with advancements in just about everything fitness you should be leaning toward the history of the player a little more .

Haha, I wish I could say I wasn’t licking my chops at the predictability of you coming back with “but Brady” and thinking the exception proves the rule.  Never change, bubba.

To add, I’m not banking on anything. I like the idea of taking a OL, but you guys are clowns with your debate logic.

Old QB just tore his Achilles, he won’t get hurt again because science, we don’t need a backup.

Also, OL guys have gotten hurt before, so they’ll def get hurt again, so we need backup.

I mean, how can I not make fun of you guys? I feel sorry for me.

• WTF? 1

I mean, I’d have more respect if you guys just said, “I want an OT, because I want one.” Same logic as my 6-year old, but at least it makes sense. What you’re doing is… Making up dogsh*t logic to try and validate your wants/feelings.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Haha, I wish I could say I wasn’t licking my chops at the predictability of you coming back with “but Brady” and thinking the exception proves the rule.  Never change, bubba.

Never change ? What making obvious points that disprove what you're saying ? 😛Funny how your licking of chop revelations always come after the fact .

Okay I'll never change .

Not sure exactly what point you're trying to make but the over 40 argument does not have a big sample size. However, I agree with you when you say Injury has a higher percentage of happening when over 40 but when you are talking about players that are in amazing shape it's a totally different story. Also you are forgetting the fact Brady could not move well and not even close to the way Rodgers can and he didn't get hurt. There is also a difference between players who are injury prone and constantly hurt or dealing with nagging injuries reducing their performance  and players who sustain freak serious injuries. 

• Upvote 1

“I don’t think Rodgers will get hurt, he’s fit as a fiddle and can defy Father Time.”

Also, “we need a top-10 OT to be our backup so that Rodgers doesn’t get hurt.”

I mean, you guys. So cute.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Never change ? What making obvious points that disprove what you're saying ? 😛Funny how your licking of chop revelations always come after the fact .

Okay I'll never change .

Not sure exactly what point you're trying to make but the over 40 argument does not have a big sample size. However, I agree with you when you say Injury has a higher percentage of happening when over 40 but when you are talking about players that are in amazing shape it's a totally different story. Also you are forgetting the fact Brady could not move well and not even close to the way Rodgers can and he didn't get hurt. There is also a difference between players who are injury prone and constantly hurt or dealing with nagging injuries reducing their performance  and players who sustain freak serious injuries. 

Loki Eye Roll GIF

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I know I know Foiled again :)

Serious question, do you ever read the posts you reply to and/or the replies you type out?

I always picture you using voice to text while frothing at the mouth gnawing on a human femur.

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Serious question, do you ever read the posts you reply to and/or the replies you type out?

I always picture you using voice to text while frothing at the mouth gnawing on a human femur.

Nope I don't read anything Mr Integrity I just know what you resort too 100% of the time. Hint... Its bolded above.

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2024 at 12:57 PM, Maynard13 said:

Ask Rodgers. Aaron, do you want a big mambo tackle protecting you so you can sit back there thinking about grill cheese sandwiches while deciding on the numerous options to throw the ball OR running for your life while a 285 pound beast is hunting you down. 

Mike Williams has to get & stay healthy. Otherwise it’s just Garrett again. I don’t even want to imagine what jets O would look like if he went down. JD has to trade down. Take OT or WR mid 1st, and grab the other in the 2nd.. 

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Nope I don't read anything Mr Integrity I just know what you resort too 100% of the time. Hint... Its bolded above.

Which part ….

When I resort to making you pee down your leg and self-own. 

Or when I clarify what the debate is actually about after you try to argue with me over something you peel out of my comments - having nothing to do with my actual point?

Or are they the same thing? Rhetorical question.

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mike Williams has to get & stay healthy. Otherwise it’s just Garrett again. I don’t even want to imagine what jets O would look like if he went down. JD has to trade down. Take OT or WR mid 1st, and grab the other in the 2nd.. 

ah, shoot, injury prone WR? Better take like 5 WRs this draft just to be safe.

On 4/15/2024 at 12:39 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What does JD do if the dominoes fall like this… seems like a worst-case scenario:

1 Caleb

2 Jayden

3 Drake

4 MHJ

5 Nabers

6 Bowers

7 Alt

8 Odunze

9 Fashanu

10 ?? 

58 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He calls @TuscanyTile2

If you want my advice Joe, just walk up to the podium and say the 3 magic words:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yep. I've got him pegged as the guy who slides. Not because I think one way or another about him as a prospect, but because his name seems to be attached to the most rumors. Typically, we see this happen when multiple franchises use 1 poor kid as the centerpiece of all of their pre-draft jockeying. I just think he's being used for gamesmanship right now.

Vikings made 2 huge moves to 11 and 23. Don’t think they did that to stay put. 

On 4/15/2024 at 12:39 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What does JD do if the dominoes fall like this… seems like a worst-case scenario:

1 Caleb

2 Jayden

3 Drake

4 MHJ

5 Nabers

6 Bowers

7 Alt

8 Odunze

9 Fashanu

10 ?? 

I think if it plays out this way the Jets are in an amazing position to trade down. You have a team looking to move up to get JJ and the Jets can trade down only a few spots, or you can have a team looking to grab the CB of choice and maybe trade down a little further. I just completed a mock sim with a trade down with Philly to 22 and also got both their seconds, 50 and 53. I went off the reservation at 22 and took Cooper DeJean, based on talent level and ability to be an elite level S, position of need, and return kicks. 50 and 53 were then used on OL (Patrick Paul) and WR (Xavier Legette, who I prefered to Troy Franklin). 

The thought of going D round 1 makes me throw up in my mouth but I don't think I would be upset if Jets came away with

Cooper DeJean S

Patrick Paul OT

Xavier Legette WR 

in first two rounds

• More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Its not just Williams and GW. It's Breece, Ruckert, Conklin, Lizard, Brownlee, and a slot like Washington or Cowing, and another WR taken in the draft. The thing is, I dont see a vast difference from round 2 or 3 in the quality of WR's available.  I'd focus on getting a LT with the 1st round pick.  We can get a very good one there and add a pick with a trade back.  The mitigating factor is whether we'd have enough fire power on the offense is Rodgers.  He's going to make everyone better.  But he must be protected. The OL must be able to establish a runinng game.  Last year was a joke.  Spending a 1st on a WR is not a good idea.  Protecting Rodgers is imperitave.  And there various other reasons why a 1st round OL is so much more important than a 1st round WR at this point the way this roster is shaping up.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Vikings made 2 huge moves to 11 and 23. Don’t think they did that to stay put. 

I’m aware. I’m saying JJ has the slide written all over him. I understand it’s unlikely given all of the buzz and teams he’s been attached to, but that’s sorta what I said is giving me that feeling.

With that ammo, Vikings could trade up high enough to be in play for Maye and Jayden, too.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

ah, shoot, injury prone WR? Better take like 5 WRs this draft just to be safe.

They must have confidence in Williams being ready for the season.  Lot of players deal with this same injury and bounce back the following year.  But I'm sure JD takes two WR's (X & Z) in this draft.  Its a deep draft for WR's and some really good ones to be had in round 3 & 4. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m aware. I’m saying JJ has the slide written all over him. I understand it’s unlikely given all of the buzz and teams he’s been attached to, but that’s sorta what I said is giving me that feeling.

With that ammo, Vikings could trade up high enough to be in play for Maye and Jayden, too.

LOL No they dont. This aint 1989 or havent you heard inflation is through the roof.  I went to buy a frozen pizza that cost $3.99 and its now listed at $5.59 and they had the nerve to place a sticker saying New Low Price!.  Anyways, No those 2 - #11 and 23 are nowhere near enough to move up to get #2 or #3. You know better. And you also know some team, as in EVERY darft, trades way up to take a swing on a QB.  McCarthy is just getting way to much hype not to go somewhere in a trade between 4 & 9 IMO.  

21 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

“I don’t think Rodgers will get hurt, he’s fit as a fiddle and can defy Father Time.”

Also, “we need a top-10 OT to be our backup so that Rodgers doesn’t get hurt.”

I mean, you guys. So cute.

Ok so I too want a QB. I really do and your clamoring has made me rethink this whole structure of how the Jets approach this draft.  But we have only so many picks and have so many imperative needs - OL & WR.  We need 2 tackles and 2 WR's and probably another guard as well. Some of those needs will have to be sarificed and replenished by FA's.  Obviously, QB in round 1 is off limits.  It just is, So that leaves early round 2 because whatever QB 's are left (Nix or Penix) will go quick and early in round (even if they last that long). I've been hearing a lot of noise coming from analysts saying how Penix is going to be a star and is being way overlooked.  He could be the sleeper in the draft. And he can just sit and learn behind Rodgers for 2-3 years and go on ayuhasca retreats with him.  Rodgers sat for what 3-4 years behind Farve? That makes him 36 in NFL terms. Sitting behind Rodgers would be a really good thing IMO.  So how can this be accomplished?  JD has to trade back in round 1, get his tackle and get a 2nd. And it would probably be a mid to late 2nd. He'd then have to take that 2nd and trade up to early 2nd round to get his QB, probably give up a 4th or whatever.  Ok how's that sound?

"OL vs WR"   "He's not just a TE"   "Trade down"   "Trade up"   "Build a wall" --> just some of the narratives that have been debated here in the lead up to the draft.

I think based on both immediate and long-term impact, positional value, draft value, and with a realistic chance of doing so...

The best outcome we can have in the 1st round is trading up for Nabers (or to a lesser realistic degree) MJH. Both are game-changing WRs who will start immediately and be here for the long haul.

I love Odunze, but he's not on the same level as Nabers / MJH and neither of them will be there at 10. Trade up, use a 2025 2nd and a 2024 4th and don't look back.

Staying put at 10 won't provide the same impactful options, especially for Day 1 contributions. If this is win-now mode then go win-now. Bowers might be good but even if he is as advertised he won't have an impact like Nabers / MJH.

Trading down seems to be a good option but again then you're getting a lesser WR + OL options in the teens and 20s. Yes you get back a top 100 pick in the process but again it won't produce a talent that can take over a game.

50 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Ok so I too want a QB. I really do and your clamoring has made me rethink this whole structure of how the Jets approach this draft.  But we have only so many picks and have so many imperative needs - OL & WR.  We need 2 tackles and 2 WR's and probably another guard as well. Some of those needs will have to be sarificed and replenished by FA's.  Obviously, QB in round 1 is off limits.  It just is, So that leaves early round 2 because whatever QB 's are left (Nix or Penix) will go quick and early in round (even if they last that long). I've been hearing a lot of noise coming from analysts saying how Penix is going to be a star and is being way overlooked.  He could be the sleeper in the draft. And he can just sit and learn behind Rodgers for 2-3 years and go on ayuhasca retreats with him.  Rodgers sat for what 3-4 years behind Farve? That makes him 36 in NFL terms. Sitting behind Rodgers would be a really good thing IMO.  So how can this be accomplished?  JD has to trade back in round 1, get his tackle and get a 2nd. And it would probably be a mid to late 2nd. He'd then have to take that 2nd and trade up to early 2nd round to get his QB, probably give up a 4th or whatever.  Ok how's that sound?

Maynard keep in mind we had 2 promising WR's last year that played with the worst QB room in 50 years of course that does not mean I don't think the Jets should draft one of the stud WR's if they fall to us but I don't think by any means we need 2 WR's . We have wilson and williams which already gives us a formidable duo I see no reason why Guys like Brownlee and Gipson could not move up and fill the 3 and 4 spots. Sure we would all love to see Wilson Williams and Odunze and have last years rookies step up for the 4th spot that would be about the best your going to get because we do IMHO need to get at the very least a backup OT that can move into the spot Tyron Smith will probably vacate at seasons end. Plus dare I say we have that pile of crap Lazard who might also step up with Rodgers at QB but Im not holding my breath. Even if he just packed it in last year when Rodgers went down we don't need that type of player on this young team because that sh*thead behavior can rub off.

With the QB situation this is not the year we take a QB with that first pick or even think about moving up to get one. Taking one in the later rounds should be something, however, we consider every year.