Tackle or Receiver in round 1?

On 4/14/2024 at 6:42 AM, Jetfuel66 said:

Although I would love another weapon or two I agree that receivers are easier to find in the later rounds than tackles. I can see JD locking down one of the top 3 tackles in round 1 and then addressing receiver in round 3. It is definitely harder to find quality OL talent, especially tackles in the later rounds than it is to find receivers. The most recent drafts prove this to be true.

Hoping that this is the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

LOL No they dont. This aint 1989 or havent you heard inflation is through the roof.  I went to buy a frozen pizza that cost $3.99 and its now listed at $5.59 and they had the nerve to place a sticker saying New Low Price!.  Anyways, No those 2 - #11 and 23 are nowhere near enough to move up to get #2 or #3. You know better. And you also know some team, as in EVERY darft, trades way up to take a swing on a QB.  McCarthy is just getting way to much hype not to go somewhere in a trade between 4 & 9 IMO.  

I think my point of view is informed by the fact that I have zero confidence that draft experts are correct in saying the top 3 picks will be QB, in which case I stand by what I said… the Vikings could be in play for those other QBs. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Ok so I too want a QB. I really do and your clamoring has made me rethink this whole structure of how the Jets approach this draft.  But we have only so many picks and have so many imperative needs - OL & WR.  We need 2 tackles and 2 WR's and probably another guard as well. Some of those needs will have to be sarificed and replenished by FA's.  Obviously, QB in round 1 is off limits.  It just is, So that leaves early round 2 because whatever QB 's are left (Nix or Penix) will go quick and early in round (even if they last that long). I've been hearing a lot of noise coming from analysts saying how Penix is going to be a star and is being way overlooked.  He could be the sleeper in the draft. And he can just sit and learn behind Rodgers for 2-3 years and go on ayuhasca retreats with him.  Rodgers sat for what 3-4 years behind Farve? That makes him 36 in NFL terms. Sitting behind Rodgers would be a really good thing IMO.  So how can this be accomplished?  JD has to trade back in round 1, get his tackle and get a 2nd. And it would probably be a mid to late 2nd. He'd then have to take that 2nd and trade up to early 2nd round to get his QB, probably give up a 4th or whatever.  Ok how's that sound?

Bold = I’m now convinced you’re not reading my posts and just assuming I want a QB over an OT, which would explain why you kept carrying on.

I’ve said I am good with an OT 100x.

I’m simply illustrating that you guys are using a double-standard as your argument. Trying too hard to rationalize it, to the point where bias won’t allow you guys to see that the argument of “old, injury prone insurance” works for both positions - so it’s not a good reason for picking 1 over the other.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I think my point of view is informed by the fact that I have zero confidence that draft experts are correct in saying the top 3 picks will be QB, in which case I stand by what I said… the Vikings could be in play for those other QBs. 

Your pointing in the wrong direction.  Caleb is a lock at 1. Wash traded away Howell. THey are not treading out and are taking Daniels. NE ttraded away Mac Jones. They too dont have a QB.  Mays is a lock to them at 3.  Dont overthink this which, for you, is a monumental task.   However, I could see Vikes drafting up to anywhere from 4 to 9 to grab McCarthy.   

27 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Your pointing in the wrong direction.  Caleb is a lock at 1. Wash traded away Howell. THey are not treading out and are taking Daniels. NE ttraded away Mac Jones. They too dont have a QB.  Mays is a lock to them at 3.  Dont overthink this which, for you, is a monumental task.   However, I could see Vikes drafting up to anywhere from 4 to 9 to grab McCarthy.   

Going back to the rumors about JJ, we’ve heard buzz of him going as high as 2 to Washington.

So, if you don’t think he’ll slide, then you implicitly believe teams value him in the top 10 and his buzz is legit. I mean, you just suggested he gets picked at 4.

So, your entire argument is built on the assumption that prognosticators are right. I have no faith in them. Now, if JJ does go 2 or 3, then that leaves Daniels or Maye available at 4… which you just said you could see the Vikings trading up to.

So, I don’t know what point you’re trying to make other than that you think Mel Kiper is right.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Bold = I’m now convinced you’re not reading my posts and just assuming I want a QB over an OT, which would explain why you kept carrying on.

I’ve said I am good with an OT 100x.

I’m simply illustrating that you guys are using a double-standard as your argument. Trying too hard to rationalize it, to the point where bias won’t allow you guys to see that the argument of “old, injury prone insurance” works for both positions - so it’s not a good reason for picking 1 over the other.

I was half joking when I said A A Ron would burn the building down if we drafted a quarterback. 

But like, seriously, it’s very likely he’d a. disapprove, b. speak about it publicly, and then c. be all passive aggressive about within the organization.

Don’t think those things would happen with an OT @ 10. 

Whether we like it or not, we’re in the “keep #8 happy” business for the time being.

Going back to the rumors about JJ, we’ve heard buzz of him going as high as 2 to Washington.

So, if you don’t think he’ll slide, then you implicitly believe teams value him in the top 10 and his buzz is legit. I mean, you just suggested he gets picked at 4.

So, your entire argument is built on the assumption that prognosticators are right. I have no faith in them. Now, if JJ does go 2 or 3, then that leaves Daniels or Maye available at 4… which you just said you could see the Vikings trading up to.

So, I don’t know what point you’re trying to make other than that you think Mel Kiper is right.

Making lemonade out of mangos don’t work. Try lemons. 

21 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

ah, shoot, injury prone WR? Better take like 5 WRs this draft just to be safe.

Nah, but imagine having not 1, 2, but 3 WRs who can get open and catch ? I know, it’s far fetch for NY Jets. Jets would rather have draft a full back than a dependable WR3 ha

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I was half joking when I said A A Ron would burn the building down if we drafted a quarterback. 

But like, seriously, it’s very likely he’d a. disapprove, b. speak about it publicly, and then c. be all passive aggressive about within the organization.

Don’t think those things would happen with an OT @ 10. 

Whether we like it or not, we’re in the “keep #8 happy” business for the time being.

Yeah, I understand all that. I’m not lobbying to pick a QB. I’m saying the reason the OT crowd is using is biased and stupid.

I want an OT or WR, but mostly a trade down, because I fully expect 1-9 not to fall our way.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yeah, I understand all that. I’m not lobbying to pick a QB. I’m saying the reason the OT crowd is using is biased and stupid.

I want an OT or WR, but mostly a trade down, because I fully expect 1-9 not to fall our way.

Oh word, gotcha. 

I guess we'll need OL at 1.10.  What are the odds that AVT survives this game.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/new-york-jets-2024-opponents-nfl-schedule

Denver Broncos (8-9): The Broncos and Jets will meet again for the fourth-straight season and the seventh time in the last eight years. After three straight trips out West, Denver will come to MetLife Stadium for the first time since 2020. The Jets bested the Broncos in Week 8 of this past season, 31-21. Jets Curtis Martin Team MVP Quincy Williams had his best game as a pro with 9 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 tackle for loss, 3 QB hits and a forced fumble that CB Bryce Hall returned for a game-sealing touchdown. After a 1-5 start, Denver won 7of its last 11 games to contend for a playoff spot into the final two weeks.

Bold Prediction ... McCarthy goes in the 20s

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He’s 40 dude. How old are you?

”Historically” I didn’t have back pain or love handles but these things change. Time is undefeated.

Time is undefeated I'm not trying to argue that point what I'm saying is if you take care of your body at that age you can be just fine. I was in great shape when I was young. But ya know what ? I stopped working out and keeping myself in shape and time caught up it's the same with professional athletes some just do not put in the work anymore and in that case they are drawing a large paycheck and going out constantly dealing with nagging injuries and in that respect I just don't see guys like Rodgers and the other example I used Tom Brady doing that. Brady was living proof of that and I think Rodgers can be as well.  People who blame last years injury on Rodgers age are Idiots it was a major injury that could happen to anyone at any age Now if your a 40 year old not taking care of your body and dealing with constant nagging injuries causing you to miss games that's another story and it remains to be seen with Rodgers. Explain how this 40 year old came back from an achillies rupture as fast as he did and faster than players nearly half his age . It was not a miracle drug it was hard work plain and simple

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/15/2024 at 12:39 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What does JD do if the dominoes fall like this… seems like a worst-case scenario:

1 Caleb

2 Jayden

3 Drake

4 MHJ

5 Nabers

6 Bowers

7 Alt

8 Odunze

9 Fashanu

10 ?? 

Sit still and field offers for trades to draft McCarthy.  

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Time is undefeated I'm not trying to argue that point what I'm saying is if you take care of your body at that age you can be just fine.

I’m not arguing the sun is hot, I’m just saying if it’s a flaming ball of gas it’s probably very warm.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Explain how this 40 year old came back from an achillies rupture as fast as he did and faster than players nearly half his age . It was not a miracle drug it was hard work plain and simple

This didn’t happen. 🤣

He is recovering at the same pace as any player that has suffered this injury. All of the comeback early stuff was just bs. I told everyone here he wasn’t going to defy medicine. He didn’t. You suckers just bought into his narcissistic con job.

This didn’t happen. 🤣

He is recovering at the same pace as any player that has suffered this injury. All of the comeback early stuff was just bs. I told everyone here he wasn’t going to defy medicine. He didn’t. You suckers just bought into his narcissistic con job.

So it was BS that he was apparently lighting up the Defense running the scout team ? Ok I guess everything pertaining to Aaron Rodgers is just bullsh*t.

I’m not arguing the sun is hot, I’m just saying if it’s a flaming ball of gas it’s probably very warm.

Just give it up . Im sure you can read so why cherry pick a sentence from an entire paragraph ..... Wait why am I bothering 

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Just give it up . Im sure you can read so why cherry pick a sentence from an entire paragraph ..... Wait why am I bothering 

I read the whole post. I highlighted the part that made me laugh the hardest. Would you like me to make a mockery of all of it?

So it was BS that he was apparently lighting up the Defense running the scout team ? Ok I guess everything pertaining to Aaron Rodgers is just bullsh*t.

Yes, Smash, it was bs that Aaron was lighting up the defense - just like it was bs when they reported Zach was doing every one of the last few summers.

Everything pertaining to him defying medicine and coming back early was BS. I mean, did he come back early? No. Did he confess that the rehab is more likely to be like the typical time frame? Yes.

Pay attention to facts before trying to build an argument around fru-fru wishful thinking incited by a lying media strategy.

10 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So  I wont call you Ringy - How about Apey 

how about troll 

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Or Trolley

Ape works.

If you think I’m trolling you by defining a double-standard and pointing out facts vs. fantasy, then I’m sorry you both have to work this hard to get out of your own way in a basic conversation.

Both of you seem to have looked right past considering what I’m saying, instead trying to make it an argument I’m not even trying to have, and then losing that one too.

Season 3 Bonjour GIF by BBC America

Here is the core question IMO:

1. What is easier for the Jets to get in the 3rd round with our existing 3rd round pick?

• A great #3 WR prospect with potential to be more?
  • A great OT prospect ready and able to step in if/when a starter gets hurt?

This helps me (If I were GM) make the call at #10.

If I can get a great WR prospect in the 3rd, I go OT at #10.

If I feel I can more easily get an OT prospect later, but not that WR we need both now and later (post-Williams), I go WR.

Frankly, this draft feels pretty solid at WR deeper than it does OT.  Which would have me lean OT at #10, and get the BAP WR in the 3rd and double dip at WR (or TE) in the 4th.

If we walk away with a Fuaga (OT), Johnny Wilson (WR and Cade Stover (TE) by the end of the 4th round, I would be very. very happy, generally.  Spend the rest of D as needed/desired, or better yet, gran one more OL late.

But that's just me, I have no doubt half our picks (at least) will get spent on Defense.  Including that 3rd I'd wager.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I read the whole post. I highlighted the part that made me laugh the hardest. Would you like me to make a mockery of all of it?

No you're already making a good enough mockery of yourself 

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, Smash, it was bs that Aaron was lighting up the defense - just like it was bs when they reported Zach was doing every one of the last few summers.

Everything pertaining to him defying medicine and coming back early was BS. I mean, did he come back early? No. Did he confess that the rehab is more likely to be like the typical time frame? Yes.

Pay attention to facts before trying to build an argument around fru-fru wishful thinking incited by a lying media strategy.

I do pay attention to the facts and it would have been stupid for him to come back and play a game or two last year when we were already out of the playoffs. The only reason for him to come back at all was if we were in the playoffs and that didn't happen. Also if it was all bullsh*t why were reporters and people covering the team saying it ? Did Woody Slip them a few c notes to report Aaron was doing well in practice ?

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ape works.

If you think I’m trolling you by defining a double-standard and pointing out facts vs. fantasy, then I’m sorry you both have to work this hard to get out of your own way in a basic conversation.

Both of you seem to have looked right past considering what I’m saying, instead trying to make it an argument I’m not even trying to have, and then losing that one too.

Season 3 Bonjour GIF by BBC America

This is why almost no one can have a normal conversation with you. As soon as someone makes a good point counter to your position you resort to nonsense 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This is why almost no one can have a normal conversation with you. As soon as someone makes a good point counter to your position you resort to nonsense 

You didn’t make a good point. You were arguing about an adjacent point. I’m making an example if it now.

You have only yourself to blame.