Tackle or Receiver in round 1?

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What does JD do if the dominoes fall like this… seems like a worst-case scenario:

1 Caleb

2 Jayden

3 Drake

4 MHJ

5 Nabers

6 Bowers

7 Alt

8 Odunze

9 Fashanu

10 ?? 

BTJ, Latham, Fuaga, Fautanu, or trade down with a team that wants JJ.

I really don’t see ATL not going defense, a team not trading up for QB, or LAC skipping a highly rated RT.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

So, you insure the two tackles who have had past injuries with the 10 pick, but are not literally in the middle of injury recovery, but not the 40-year old who tore his Achilles and is still rehabbing? (Like I said he would be when you goobers were talking about him playing in December.)

Let me be clear, I’m good with an OT, but I find it incredibly dense and biased that the argument is “he will be insurance this year and a starter in the future”, but the same people saying this say “no QB, we are win now”.

I mean, lol.

I mean how many picks you think we got?  We got a 1st and a 3rd, 2 4th's to get some good quality talent to help.  I dont see the point in spending a 1st round pick on a WR or a QB when the bookends of our OL are on the verge of retirement and our OL depth sucks.  The argument is LT's dont grow on trees.  And we would have the luxury to develop one and, if need be, fill in if one or both get injured, which inexerably will happen with the past history of these bookends. Having signed Simpson, Smith and Mosley were crucial to revamp the OL. BUT it also allows JD to develop OL talent he can get in this upcomoing draft and add much needed depth.  There is some really good OL prospects to be had here. Armedgie, aAul, Mims, Raosengarten, Coleman, Guyton.  A little wheeling and dealing, and JD can get three really good OL prospects and we all know he likes to move the chess pieces in the draft. You want a QB. Great. Draft Pratt in round 4.  SIgn Sam Hartman who may not get drafted or move up in round 6 and grab him to.  This is a 2-3 year all in plan (at the most).  The OL MUST be solidified.  If Rodgers falls apart, then they crash it all down and restart from the offense from the begining.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

BTJ, Latham, Fuaga, Fautanu, or trade down with a team that wants JJ.

I really don’t see ATL not going defense, a team not trading up for QB, or LAC skipping a highly rated RT.

I think you’re right about ATL.  Was just posing a hypothetical worst case scenario.

I really hope Bowers goes top-9.

If that happens I think we get at least Odunze, Alt, or Fashanu.

But I also think Chicago would be foolish not to take a OT at #9.

I keep seeing a WR being mocked to them when they already have DJ Moore, Keenan Allen and Kmet.  That’s enough weapons. They need to protect Caleb.

More I think about it, unless one of big-3 WRs is there, and provided no sensible trade back is available, they have to go OL.

AVT tore his Achilles midseason.

Is he even a lock to be ready for camp?

Even if he’s medically cleared, that’s an injury that has to be monitored and maintained and where it might take 2 years for the player to return to form.

Any WR they draft isn’t going to get many targets in year 1.

Aaron will pepper GW with 150+ targets like he did with Davante Adams, plus you’ve got MW and Breece catching at least 50 balls out of the backfield.

I’d be content with Fashanu, Latham, Fautanu, Fuaga, and having the OT / OG versatility is a bonus.

If Tyron goes down, you can always kick out AVT to LT if you have to.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Even if we entertained the idea that a backup QB at 10 is an equally good idea to backup OT (which I don't agree with)...

Is there a QB available at 10 that we really think is worth the 10th overall pick?

But, but he would be the back up this year, and he’d be the starter in the future.

Given that zero draft picks have been made, I basically stopped reading after the question in bold. This is the sort of logic that makes a team pass on Mahomes for a safety.

Again, I love the idea of taking a tackle. I simply think you guys are making a horrible argument. I’m attacking the debate, not the choice.

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I dont see the point in spending a 1st round pick on a WR or a QB when the bookends of our OL are on the verge of retirement and our OL depth sucks. 

Tired Aaron Rodgers GIF by Norwalk Brew House

image.thumb.jpeg.32efc96f69afaf67e2524ec76bdd5ca1.jpeg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What does JD do if the dominoes fall like this… seems like a worst-case scenario:

1 Caleb

2 Jayden

3 Drake

4 MHJ

5 Nabers

6 Bowers

7 Alt

8 Odunze

9 Fashanu

10 ?? 

fuaga....however it is spelled

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Question, if you guys believe the #10 pick be wisely spent in a backup OL, with argument rooted in “injury protection”, then why isn’t it just as valid a strategy to select a QB there… given the circumstances are identical?

Well because histoically Rodgers is not injury prone. Tough luck on us he had a major injury but when you look at our LT he has been injured a lot and by drafting a high end LT he will get the chance to learn under Smith and step in for some games if need be. Lets face it if Rodgers has another major injury the super bowl chances go too zero. Its possible we make the playoffs with Tyrod coming in but it will go down to the wire . With that being said If Tyron Smith goes down you put Rodgers at further risk if his blindside is not properly protected. I hear what you are saying but IMHO LT in the draft could slightly outweigh WR but if the jets are happy going into the season with Warren as the back up LT then we might very well lean WR bottom line is it might just comes down to who is available at 10 at both positions.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Well because histoically Rodgers is not injury prone. Tough luck on us he had a major injury but when you look at our LT he has been injured a lot and by drafting a high end LT he will get the chance to learn under Smith and step in for some games if need be. Lets face it if Rodgers has another major injury the super bowl chances go too zero. Its possible we make the playoffs with Tyrod coming in but it will go down to the wire . With that being said If Tyron Smith goes down you put Rodgers at further risk if his blindside is not properly protected. I hear what you are saying but IMHO LT in the draft could slightly outweigh WR but if the jets are happy going into the season with Warren as the back up LT then we might very well lean WR bottom line is it might just comes down to who is available at 10 at both positions.

Historically Rodgers just suffered a year ending and career threatening Achilles tear.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I keep seeing a WR being mocked to them when they already have DJ Moore, Keenan Allen and Kmet.  That’s enough weapons. They need to protect Caleb.

I don’t subscribe to the OL stat sites, so maybe someone else can chime in.

But I recall reading LT Braxton Jones was a revelation last year, delivering the 4th best pass block win rate in the league.  That, and they are high on last year’s 1st, Darnell Wright at RT.  

If you look at their defense, they lost 2 of their top 3 sack producers in free agency.    They could use DL in the worst way. 

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Historically Rodgers just suffered a year ending and career threatening Achilles tear.  

Pretty sure I made that clear and Im pretty sure everyone knows that. If he went into practice 4 months after the injury and actully played on our scout team vs our top defense and played well from all accounts of those practices.... Im pretty sure he will over come the achillies tear for this season. If there were any complications they would have already surfaced . I guess we will all know soon enough but it seems to me Rodgers is not the kind of guy to go out there and make a fool of himself on the field If he had any serious complications from the surgery he would have either addressed it or simply retired.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Pretty sure I made that clear and Im pretty sure everyone knows that. If he went into practice 4 months after the injury and actully played on our scout team vs our top defense and played well from all accounts of those practices.... Im pretty sure he will over come the achillies tear for this season. If there were any complications they would have already surfaced . I guess we will all know soon enough but it seems to me Rodgers is not the kind of guy to go out there and make a fool of himself on the field If he had any serious complications from the surgery he would have either addressed it or simply retired.

Brett Favre was Mr Durability and then he came to the Jets.  If you think Aaron is playing all 17 games next regular season I got some of those magical FTX token things to sell you

And that’s even if we draft a Tackle like Alt at 10

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Brett Favre was Mr Durability and then he came to the Jets.  If you think Aaron is playing all 17 games next regular season I got some of those magical FTX token things to sell you

well in this respect all you are doing is guessing. Lets hope, as Jets fans, he plays all 20 games next year 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

well in this respect all you are doing is guessing. Lets hope, as Jets fans, he plays all 20 games next year 

It’s not a guess it’s a very reasonable assessment of the situation.  He’s 40 and coming off by far the worst injury of his career and he’s not a strict drop back qb like Brady.  A big part of Aaron’s game is rolling out of the pocket he needs his legs

14 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s not a guess it’s a very reasonable assessment of the situation.  He’s 40 and coming off by far the worst injury of his career and he’s not a strict drop back qb like Brady.  A big part of Aaron’s game is rolling out of the pocket he needs his legs

You have no assessmant of the situation, if you did you would have seen him play in those actual practices and you didnt, so yeah its a guess. 

• Upvote 1

Unless they get Alt you go Bowers, Odunza or Nabers. Or you trade back none of OTs after Alt are franchise LT pretty much wasting a top 10 pick on a RT you want a franchise player with elite talent none of the Tackles after Alt are really elite talent. But guy like Bowers Odunza or Nabers are elite talent.

• Thumb Down 1

40 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Hey it’s football not badminton. Injuries happen. You hope for the best and plan accordingly. JD, after that horrible roster he came up with last year, learned his lesson and has improved the OL with established veterans and a good back up QB. That a 180 degree turnaround. Now, keep getting depth and plan for the future as well. 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

40-years olds are injury prone, as evidenced by him popping his Achilles with minutes of starting the season… and regardless of whether they’ve been hurt before.

You guys are either missing or choosing to ignore my point. We need insurance against injuries to the OT and QB, full stop. So, picking a QB is just as viable as OT from a pragmatism standpoint, hence why I’m ridiculing the debate angle. 

Tyrod is getting us nowhere. He was an awful signing.

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Ok why don’t we just draft you with the #1

pick.

image.png.8223773fed7ec15ab677207ef63c3650.png

Be the best thing this franchise has ever done. Think of the fan gear we could get out of the Green Gorilla theme.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

40-years olds are injury prone, as evidenced by him popping his Achilles with minutes of starting the season… and regardless of whether they’ve been hurt before.

You guys are either missing or choosing to ignore my point. We need insurance against injuries to the OT and QB, full stop. So, picking a QB is just as viable as OT from a pragmatism standpoint, hence why I’m ridiculing the debate angle. 

Tyrod is getting us nowhere. He was an awful signing.

So what exactly is YOUR plan other than blasting Rodgers for being 40? And Taylor was a fine pick up.  Hopefully he doesnt have to play much and stays healthy.  Hey injuries happen. Look at Stafford ,Brady. Both older vets and both missed time later in their careers and BOTH won Super Bowls later in their career.  Trading for Rodgers was a rol of the dice. We all get that but it was and still is the best viable option we have to get to the promised land.   The top 4 qb's are off the board: Daniels, Caleb, Maye (I want no part of McCarthy even if he's there at 10). So what QB are you taking? Nix? Penix? Or are you taking a QB or a tackle or a WR or what are you doing?  

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Historically Aaron Rogers isn't 50 coming off a possible career ending injury.

13 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I mean how many picks you think we got?  We got a 1st and a 3rd, 2 4th's to get some good quality talent to help.  I dont see the point in spending a 1st round pick on a WR or a QB when the bookends of our OL are on the verge of retirement and our OL depth sucks.  The argument is LT's dont grow on trees.  And we would have the luxury to develop one and, if need be, fill in if one or both get injured, which inexerably will happen with the past history of these bookends. Having signed Simpson, Smith and Mosley were crucial to revamp the OL. BUT it also allows JD to develop OL talent he can get in this upcomoing draft and add much needed depth.  There is some really good OL prospects to be had here. Armedgie, aAul, Mims, Raosengarten, Coleman, Guyton.  A little wheeling and dealing, and JD can get three really good OL prospects and we all know he likes to move the chess pieces in the draft. You want a QB. Great. Draft Pratt in round 4.  SIgn Sam Hartman who may not get drafted or move up in round 6 and grab him to.  This is a 2-3 year all in plan (at the most).  The OL MUST be solidified.  If Rodgers falls apart, then they crash it all down and restart from the offense from the begining.  

Very good post.  The other argument for taking OL is that, best case scenario, they do get the year to learn.  And in today's NFL that's not a bad thing at all.  Andrew Thomas of the Giants apparently stunk his first year but now is a star.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

So, you insure the two tackles who have had past injuries with the 10 pick, but are not literally in the middle of injury recovery, but not the 40-year old who tore his Achilles and is still rehabbing? (Like I said he would be when you goobers were talking about him playing in December.)

Let me be clear, I’m good with an OT, but I find it incredibly dense and biased that the argument is “he will be insurance this year and a starter in the future”, but the same people saying this say “no QB, we are win now”.

I mean, lol.

I think it's that a tackle should see more than just a lot of time this year, and then all of (one of the) tackle snaps next year. He could even find himself starting as a rookie at RT, and then Moses becomes the backup RT. Or maybe he's too good to bench behind Simpson (who then becomes a ~$6MM backup guard for the year, which would sound crazier if AVT hadn't missed most of the season for both of these past two years).

Super-optimistic or not, the team still sees Rodgers as starting for them for two more seasons, so you could be talking about a pure bench player for two more years. Plus this year a rookie would be QB3 so he wouldn't get any snaps (hopefully, lol). I could see it if this was such a can't-miss group - or if the 4th QB who slips to #10 is such a can't-miss prospect - OR if the one who's going to coach him up is a coach like Reid or Harbaugh. I don't think those reasons qualify here, and there's another draft next year where they won't have to reach for a pure need at OT, presumably later than pick #10 (and/or hope to find another pair of stopgaps in March good enough to be the starter all year).

The Achilles was more of a fluke thing, not an injury that was clearly due to his being 39 (at the time). The same injury was sustained by AVT (24), Dobbins (24), Tre'davious White (28), and Cam Akers (24, after also tearing an Achilles at 22). Smith misses games every year, and most of the season every other year, of late. Quite a difference. Also behind Rodgers they already have another borderline-starter at QB2 (injury-prone as he is himself). 

Whatever, I'll be happy with a healthy, non-bust for starters. Preference is either one of the top 3 WRs or top 2 OTs, and no matter how high his draft grade I can only get behind a TE with the benefit of hindsight, knowing he's a 1000-yard/year TE. If they drafted a QB and he ended up being all that, I'm in favor of that, too. I just think they're more likely to get the next Trubisky, Bortles, Darnold, Rosen, Mac Jones, Zach, Haskins, Mariota, Winston, Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, etc. because Jets. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's that a tackle should see more than just a lot of time this year, and then all of (one of the) tackle snaps next year. He could even find himself starting as a rookie at RT, and then Moses becomes the backup RT. Or maybe he's too good to bench behind Simpson (who then becomes a ~$6MM backup guard for the year, which would sound crazier if AVT hadn't missed most of the season for both of these past two years).

Super-optimistic or not, the team still sees Rodgers as starting for them for two more seasons, so you could be talking about a pure bench player for two more years. Plus this year a rookie would be QB3 so he wouldn't get any snaps (hopefully, lol). I could see it if this was such a can't-miss group - or if the 4th QB who slips to #10 is such a can't-miss prospect - OR if the one who's going to coach him up is a coach like Reid or Harbaugh. I don't think those reasons qualify here, and there's another draft next year where they won't have to reach for a pure need at OT, presumably later than pick #10 (and/or hope to find another pair of stopgaps in March good enough to be the starter all year).

The Achilles was more of a fluke thing, not an injury that was clearly due to his being 39 (at the time). The same injury was sustained by AVT (24), Dobbins (24), Tre'davious White (28), and Cam Akers (24, after also tearing an Achilles at 22). Smith misses games every year, and most of the season every other year, of late. Quite a difference. Also behind Rodgers they already have another borderline-starter at QB2 (injury-prone as he is himself). 

Whatever, I'll be happy with a healthy, non-bust for starters. Preference is either one of the top 3 WRs or top 2 OTs, and no matter how high his draft grade I can only get behind a TE with the benefit of hindsight, knowing he's a 1000-yard/year TE. If they drafted a QB and he ended up being all that, I'm in favor of that, too. I just think they're more likely to get the next Trubisky, Bortles, Darnold, Rosen, Mac Jones, Zach, Haskins, Mariota, Winston, Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, etc. because Jets. 

I think it’s going to be fuaga or fautanu, assuming alt doesn’t make it to 10.  Besides the whole rodgers thing, if you assume Douglass is here next season, and believes he’s going to get another shot at drafting a qb, then he’s going to want the tackle spots in place.  Fautanu is perfect besides his age b/c he can play rt or g this year and lt for the rest of his career.