Tackle or Receiver in round 1?

• That dynamic also has me thinking, good as this receiver class is, maybe just five (Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., LSU’s Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas, Washington’s Rome Odunze and Texas’s Adonai Mitchell) go in the first round, with teams knowing there’s more help outside of the first round at receiver than at any other position.• To that end, I think we could get three tackles in the top 10—maybe to the Chargers, Titans and Jets. I do think Jets GM Joe Douglas would like to get a tackle of the future at 10, with Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses clear stopgaps. And I’d be very surprised if Notre Dame’s Joe Alt isn’t the first one to go.

Here are some more points from this article.

• Upvote 2

I feel like Shefter and guys like this be stealing my material yo.

We will be just as dominant, if not more, if we add beef up front and another stud RB later in the draft. WR can be a product of controlling click and line of scrimmage. I do have some confidence that AR can/should elevate WRs with time in the pocket.

• Upvote 4

Ask Rodgers. Aaron, do you want a big mambo tackle protecting you so you can sit back there thinking about grill cheese sandwiches while deciding on the numerous options to throw the ball OR running for your life while a 285 pound beast is hunting you down. 

• Upvote 2

I think question should be which position contributes more than the other to a teams success.  It seems to me a tackle is involved on every play whereas a wr may only be critical to fewer plays.  Plus it does no good to a receiver if the qb is pressured on each play.

• Upvote 1

The Jets are all-in mode for the next 1-2 years.  That should dictate who we select at #10.

Trade downs are hypotheticals that assume there are teams willing to move up and (in this case) offer a 2nd rounder.  The value chart has us needing to move down 8-10 slots, which is a risky proposition in itself.

Realistically, we have a chance at an OT NOT named Alt.  Will he be ready to contribute in year 1, more so than a post draft vet pickup?  I think this is highly debatable.  A guy like JC Latham struggled a bit protecting against elite competition.  Meanwhile, the kid from Penn State has some red flags as a run blocker while Fuaga projects as a RT.  

Then you have a ‘weapon’ like Bowers who hit the ground running as a true freshman at Georgia and has the athletic & performance pedigree that make some believe he is a can’t miss prospect.  But do we have the coaching staff to actually take advantage of mismatches that a trio of Bowers, Breece & Wilson could create?

IMO, the Jets go Bowers for the reasons above.  He is the most ready and the BPA, an offensive weapon that puts pressure on every level of defense.  This in itself should help the Jets pass blocking.

Round 3 will go to the best OG to fortify the interior and allow AVT to kick out to tackle as a Plan C insurance plan.  It’s much easier to find a ready to contribute guard in round 3 than an OT.  

I’d prefer to see 2 WR or WR / OT in round 4.  

Jets will run a lot of 2 TE sets.  

LT:  Smith, FA pickup (Bakhtiari?), AVT

LG:  Simpson, Schweitzer

Center:  Tippmann, Schweitzer

RG:  AVT, Schweitzer or Round 3

RT:  Moses, FA pickup above or Warren

- Jets keep 10 OL

- Max Mitchell is potential cut candidate 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 2

Question, if you guys believe the #10 pick be wisely spent in a backup OL, with argument rooted in “injury protection”, then why isn’t it just as valid a strategy to select a QB there… given the circumstances are identical?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Ask Rodgers. Aaron, do you want a big mambo tackle protecting you so you can sit back there thinking about grill cheese sandwiches while deciding on the numerous options to throw the ball OR running for your life while a 285 pound beast is hunting you down. 

Rodgers would say to draft a receiver and to give Bakhtiari a three year deal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Question, if you guys believe the #10 pick be wisely spent in a backup OL, with argument rooted in “injury protection”, then why isn’t it just as valid a strategy to select a QB there… given the circumstances are identical?

Because Aaron Rodgers is psychotic and will burn the building down if we do that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, bicketybam said:

No. Football. Aaron is playing at least 2 more years.

He‘ll retire on day two of the 2025 NFL draft after milking that storyline dry from January through April, causing the Jets maximum pain. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

No. Football. Aaron is playing at least 2 more years.

Look at the pictures of Rodgers from his workout on the Santa Monica stairs last week.  He looked like he got hit by a truck.  

• More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Look at the pictures of Rodgers from his workout on the Santa Monica stairs last week.  He looked like he got hit by a truck.  

Did his arm look broken? Buckle up, Buttercup. 2 more years minimum.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Uhhh Because they're not. Smith is not going ot play every game. Probably will miss numerous games as he has in the past number of years.  And Moses is also susceptible to missing some games.  You either protect Rodgers at all costs or you can kiss the season goodbye. A franchise LT is as important as a franchise QB.  And he can sit and learn under a HOF tackle like Smith and fill in when neeeded.  No brainer. JD already learned that hard lesson last year. He wont do it again.  We have Williams and GW. Nice combo. They can get a very good slot in round 4.  

You look at the wrs projected to go late 2nd / early 3rd round and you can get a good one.  That’s how deep the class is.  Also the jets have brought in a few for visits, so going OT/wr seems like one viable strategy.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Uhhh Because they're not. Smith is not going ot play every game. Probably will miss numerous games as he has in the past number of years.  And Moses is also susceptible to missing some games.  You either protect Rodgers at all costs or you can kiss the season goodbye. A franchise LT is as important as a franchise QB.  And he can sit and learn under a HOF tackle like Smith and fill in when neeeded.  No brainer. JD already learned that hard lesson last year. He wont do it again.  We have Williams and GW. Nice combo. They can get a very good slot in round 4.  

So, you insure the two tackles who have had past injuries with the 10 pick, but are not literally in the middle of injury recovery, but not the 40-year old who tore his Achilles and is still rehabbing? (Like I said he would be when you goobers were talking about him playing in December.)

Let me be clear, I’m good with an OT, but I find it incredibly dense and biased that the argument is “he will be insurance this year and a starter in the future”, but the same people saying this say “no QB, we are win now”.

I mean, lol.

14 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

• That dynamic also has me thinking, good as this receiver class is, maybe just five (Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., LSU’s Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas, Washington’s Rome Odunze and Texas’s Adonai Mitchell) go in the first round, with teams knowing there’s more help outside of the first round at receiver than at any other position.• To that end, I think we could get three tackles in the top 10—maybe to the Chargers, Titans and Jets. I do think Jets GM Joe Douglas would like to get a tackle of the future at 10, with Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses clear stopgaps. And I’d be very surprised if Notre Dame’s Joe Alt isn’t the first one to go.

Here are some more points from this article.

One tackle will go in the top 10, Joe Alt, to the Titans. And the Jets will draft a WR or Bowers or trade down. 

and pretty much disagree with everything you said. 6-8 WRs will go in the 1st round. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

So, you insure the two tackles who have had past injuries with the 10 pick, but are not literally in the middle of injury recovery, but not the 40-year old who tore his Achilles and is still rehabbing? (Like I said he would be when you goobers were talking about him playing in December.)

Let me be clear, I’m good with an OT, but I find it incredibly dense and biased that the argument is “he will be insurance this year and a starter in the future”, but the same people saying this say “no QB, we are win now”.

I mean, lol.

Even if we entertained the idea that a backup QB at 10 is an equally good idea to backup OT (which I don't agree with)...

Is there a QB available at 10 that we really think is worth the 10th overall pick? Several of the OTs available there look like they could be day 1 starters to me. I don't look at McCarthy, Nix, Penix or even Drake Maye really as guys who can be locked in future starters. I would trust Taliese Fuaga to sub in for Morgan Moses week 5 and help this team win playoff games. I would not say the same thing for Penix (who is probably my favorite of the above list).

Arguing for a QB backup as a "need" just as much as backup OT also discounts the injury prevalence for these 2 positions. Rodgers has been very healthy in his career, and that was actually the first Jets season ending QB injury since what.... Geno Smith? Pennington? Compared to our OL injuries (which have been numerous for a decade), it arguably can be chalked up to bad luck with Rodgers last year. Plus we have Tyrod who is likely a lot more reliable in his current backup role compared to.... Carter Warren?

If a phenomenal QB prospect was sitting there for the Jets at 10, I wouldn't call picking a QB invalid. So I see the point of your argument. People have probably just been shrugging you off because it's not very applicable for the current draft projections (unless you're in love with a lower tier QB prospect)

• Upvote 3

In a draft that features 8 Tackles who are highly rated, and an NFL that needs more tackles, and a Jets team with two tackles that are ending their careers, the Jets can very much leave this draft without a rookie tackle. 

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

You look at the wrs projected to go late 2nd / early 3rd round and you can get a good one.  That’s how deep the class is.  Also the jets have brought in a few for visits, so going OT/wr seems like one viable strategy.  

I dont know? Like who? I'd love to get Edgerrin Cooper to replace Mosley in a trade back with pick 10 and somehow get into 2nd round and scoop him up. But I just dont see the value in WR's in round 2/3 all that different than round 4, especially when we need depth on the OL.

If the Packers and Steelers have proven anything it’s that WR gems can always be found on day 2 and even day 3.

The problem is the Jets suck at scouting WRs.

Ultimately, I don’t care if it’s Bowers or Fashanu or Johnny Wilson or whoever.  

At the end of the day, just get it right and start winning games.

• Upvote 1