Way too early 2024 depth chart predictions

The draft is done.  How do we look?

QB:  Rodgers; Taylor; Travis(R)  (3)

RB:  Hall; Allen(R); Izzy; Davis(R)  (4)

WR:  Garrett; Williams; Corley(R); Lazard; Gipson; Charles/Brownlee  (6)

TE:  Conklin; Ruckert; Yeboah/Kuntz  (3)

LT:  Smith; Fashanu(R); Warren  (3)

LG:  Simpson; Newman/Glaser  (2)

C : Tippmann  (1)

RG:  AVT; Schweitzer  (2)

RT:  Moses; Mitchell  (2)

DE:  J Johnson; Reddick; McDonald; Clemons  (4)

DT: Quinnen; Kinlaw; Fotu; Thomas; Taylor(R - UDFA)   (5)

LB: Mosley; Quincy; Sherwood; Surratt; Barnes   (5)

CB:  Sauce; Reed; Carter II; Echols; Oliver; Stiggers(R)  (6)

S:  Adams; Davis; Clark; JBC/Key(R)  (4)

ST:  Zuerlein(K), Morstead(P), Hennessey(LS)   (3)

**The ones that will be interesting to watch are RB4, DE5, LB5.  I think they'd prefer to carry 10 DL so my guess is either Izzy/Davis get cut or we only go with 4 LB and one of Barnes/Surratt/Sherwood get cut.  Possibly only two TEs but I doubt it.  Only other spot we could cut down on would be CB but I'm not sure who I see from that group getting cut.  The top-4 are all safe and they love Stiggers.  Oliver would be out in that case but not sure I see that after just signing him.  He's a solid veteran with ST experience.  

I'd love to figure out a way to bring McGovern back, but that would obviously make this more difficult.  Maybe McGovern gets a spot and Newman goes to the practice squad.  I'm willing to bet though that at least one UDFA makes it - and right now the most likely choice seems to be Taylor.  It all comes down to how motivated he is to actually make the team, though.  If we decide to carry 5 DEs, then I can see McGregor getting that last spot.  But yeah, make it 3 RB and add a DE, and it'll be 25 on offense, 25 on D.  That might make the most sense.  Would just suck seeing one of Izzy or Davis go already but I guess that's the way it goes when you actually have a decent amount of talent.

Am I missing anyone obvious?

• Upvote 4

There is at least one veteran signing to come, maybe more (Simmons, Boyd, etc.) Also, they love the young DT who was emerging last year.

Lower round draft picks are not a lock. That's the old Jets!

It is too early. There will still be some player movement. I don’t think they’ll carry more than 9 OL, and I think the ninth might be a veteran pickup (such as McGovern). Same with WR; so many just entered the league, that means a lot are going to find themselves displaced. This is when they might find a veteran safety, too. It won’t surprise me at all if Travis spends the entire season on IR while the Jets carry their emergency QB on the practice squad, either. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

There is at least one veteran signing to come, maybe more (Simmons, Boyd, etc.) Also, they love the young DT who was emerging last year.

Lower round draft picks are not a lock. That's the old Jets!

The only two I'd say aren't locks are Key and Davis, but I'd say Davis probably has a leg up on Izzy at this point.  I suppose you can add Travis as well if he can be put on IR.

I think any veteran signing at this point would be lower level, especially after just moving out JFM for cap reasons.  A dude like McGovern and a cheap veteran RB.  Maybe the 2024 version of Cobb, whoever that would be.  I'd lean towards them being happy with their WR room though, at least until they're able to trade Lazard - which I doubt happens.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

It is too early. There will still be some player movement. I don’t think they’ll carry more than 9 OL, and I think the ninth might be a veteran pickup (such as McGovern). Same with WR; so many just entered the league, that means a lot are going to find themselves displaced. This is when they might find a veteran safety, too. It won’t surprise me at all if Travis spends the entire season on IR while the Jets carry their emergency QB on the practice squad, either. 

Good point on Travis.  It looks like he's hoping to be able to play at some point during TC but time will tell.  

Not sure I agree on the OL total.  You have your 5 OTs(I just don't see them cutting Mitchell yet), Simpson, AVT, Tippmann.  That's 8, and then I'm guessing they'll want at least two interior backups.  Schweitzer seems like a lock.  Question is who gets the other spot.

I think the veteran safety spot was filled when we brought back Davis.  He IS a veteran at this point.  Plus you have Clark returning next year.  I'll be surprised if we bring in anyone substantial(maybe a cheap vet for camp competition but that's about it).  Same with WR I suppose - a cheap pickup to compete with Brownlee/Charles, maybe even Gipson.  

• Upvote 1

I have this feeling that Lazard isn’t making it to the final roster. It’s a do or die year, I don’t think this franchise will care about more dead cap space if they see a guy that is clearly better than Lazard. If brownlee, another vet signing, or an UDFA proves to be the better player that they think can help this offense, I could see a scenario where they keep the better players. Probably wrong, I know it doesn’t make a ton of sense but just my gut feeling.

Travis seems like a IR candidate as was pointed out, I’d be more surprised if they need to burn a 53 spot in him than if they stash him for a year.

I think Charles is the fourth most likely WR to make the roster for ST - new Hardee. Lazard was a healthy scratch behind the UDFA’s last year and think he needs to fight for his roster spot and I don’t think Gipson or Brownlee are necessarily safe either.

Not sure Mitchell is safe, Warren is probably the backup RT. Mitchell needs to show he can play guard. Latham the UDFA may push for a spot, they could bring back McGovern or somebody too as has been said.

I’d be surprised if they carried four ends, last year was six. I think Homes who they rostered for a bit last year and brought back plus UDFA’s (Taylor, McGregor, and Watts) are battling for at least two spots on the DL. Fotu is moderately cuttable too if he’s cleanly outplayed.

Last year they were lighter on DB’s, I think Echols and Stiggers may be playing for one spot with Stiggers an healthy favorite. Oliver is also moderately cuttable if he gets beat so maybe it’s him versus Echols. But they tend to go heavier up front and lighter on the back end roster construction wise.

all i've heard about is how much better lazard is going to be with AR at qb.  i doubt he goes anywhere.  plus, williams has to prove his health and im not sure there's anyone better in FA if williams goes down.

David Todd @DavidMTodd
2 most-likely “losers” on the #Steelers roster post-draft are Nate Herbig & Cole Holcomb. W addition of 3 OL & most-notably McCormick in rd 4, releasing Herbig post-June 1 would save $4M. Holcomb’s injury was a real blow & w signing of Queen & drafting Payton Wilson, there may be an injury settlement/release that could create another $4M+ in cap space. Tough biz.

• Upvote 1

Praying someone takes Clemons spot. He’s bad and cringe. 

Barnes and Surratt were nice finds last year but I’d like to see more competition there. 

Lazard is probably still on thin ice. If a trade is possible he’s the next salary dump. 

probably the best roster since the Rex early years 

• Upvote 1

If we do not carry 4 RBS then Douglas is an utter fail for drafting 2 this year and one last year and one already being gone.

If we pup Travis we are one injury from scouring for the next Tim Boyle.  If we ir or pup travis after trading up for him douglas is a tool.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we do not carry 4 RBS then Douglas is an utter fail for drafting 2 this year and one last year and one already being gone.

If we pup Travis we are one injury from scouring for the next Tim Boyle.  If we ir or pup travis after trading up for him douglas is a tool.

we got peewee all good - if we get to the 3rd QB this season they alll done anyway

9 hours ago, Larz said:

Praying someone takes Clemons spot. He’s bad and cringe. 

Barnes and Surratt were nice finds last year but I’d like to see more competition there. 

Lazard is probably still on thin ice. If a trade is possible he’s the next salary dump. 

probably the best roster since the Rex early years 

Probably?