Jets QB Jordan Travis sees himself as Aaron Rodgers' successor

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Tom Brady did not come into the league with a strong arm.  His dedication to having near-perfect mechanics is what strengthened it and also sped up his release.

Brady is responsible for deep dark depression periods in my life, but that guy had the perfect throwing form and I went out of my way to mimic his throwing motion when I played the position.

Regarding Jordan Travis: does he have a howitzer?  No.  Would I say he has arm strength similar arm to Mark Sanchez?  Yeah, and that’s more than enough.  GMs have become too enamored with having the next Josh Allen that they’ve forgotten that a guy like Brock Purdy probably would have been no lower than a mid 2nd rounder 15 years ago before the league started becoming overly enamored with the physical freaks like Cam (who is who really started this trend), Mahomes, Allen.  Jordan Travis, without the injury, probably deserved to go in the 2nd or 3rd.  He's the exact type of mid-round QB that I always want the Jets to take, but they pass on because they think they can mold someone like Bryce Petty into a FQB.

I’ve always believed that teams should start prepping for the future by developing a mid-round guy, who is a smart college QB, who has won a lot of games, can be a strong leader, and who has enough tools to make it in the pros.  Those are the guys who surprise.  The 49ers did just that and now look at what their ROI has been.  The position is cerebral.  I know this fanbase is scarred by Chad, but contrary to popular belief, most QBs can and do improve their physical tools quite a bit one they get mechanical coaching as well as a year or 2 in an NFL nutritional program.  

Please refer to weak arm QBs by saying, he has a MikeWhite.

Thank you. @T0mShane

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/5/2024 at 10:01 AM, Adoni Beast said:

This is it right here. I think after a couple of pro strength and conditioning programs Travis can build some upper body and arm strength which I’d say is his biggest flaw.

But I don’t see his arm strength as completely limiting. Give me leadership, accuracy, anticipation, and quick mental processing over a rocket arm and rocks for a brain.

Also, he seems to have zip to his passes. (Unlike, in comparison, Zach's throws which seemed to float; Zach didn't drive his passes, he flicked them.) As you listed, Jordan has a lot going for him.

2 hours ago, JetsFlyer said:

RPO , better learn to slide fast. has a quick flick and is accurate.. never climbs a pocket, and backpedels too much.. keeps his eyes down field and has guts. not sure how he translates  but will be fun to watch

Joe Douglas is going to go down as the worst drafter of QB talent in the history of the franchise. Travis threw 20 TDs in ten games last year before suffering yet another in a list of leg and shoulder injuries. This was while throwing to two massive ball winners at receiver in Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson, along with TE Jaheim Bell and RB Trey Benson. He’d been in college for six years and finally hooked up with the coach who made Brady White look like the GOAT at Memphis a few years prior. This is a pop-gun armed dude who’s supposedly going to come learn the pro game playing in an offense designed for Aaron Rodgers, who has a top-ten all-time throwing arm. How is that going to work, exactly? The two stiffs they gave camp contracts to are both big-armed freaks. Are they running a special Tebow package for Travis when he finally gets off the injured list? 

FWIW, the QB nerd football draft guys pretty much universally disliked Travis. Ben Solak said he was the worst draftable QB he scouted, Nate Tice explained that it was hard to evaluate Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson because Travis was always late. Here’s Derrik Klassen—who absolutely loves mobile QBs:

Jordan Travis is an incomplete prospect with just enough quickness and gumption to stick around in the NFL.

Travis' arm is not very enticing. While he has decent velocity and can throw some pretty line drives, he lacks overwhelming arm talent. He does not have standout velocity, arm elasticity or ball control. In fact, Travis lacks the natural core strength to throw with ease, which means he strains when he throws and often loses accuracy as a result.

Travis also plays late from the pocket. He operates well on simple, quick-game concepts, but he struggles when asked to throw intermediate. Travis does not anticipate route breaks and throw early. He instead waits to see routes break, which often means he ends up late and the window closes. Travis' jittery pocket presence plays a factor there as well.

With that said, Travis brings a little something as a scrambler. He is a twitched-up athlete who thrives at escaping tight spaces. Travis often slips out of the pocket with ease, and he has enough speed and vision to be a nuisance in the open field. Travis also has the creativity to find unusual throws and plays when things break down.

Travis is a backup quarterback whose athletic profile and moderately intriguing scrambling are the foundation of his game. There's almost nothing about Travis' profile that suggests he is a long-term starting NFL quarterback, though. That's especially true when considering his age and size.

GRADE: 4.8 (Developmental Prospect — UDFA)

OVERALL RANK: 301

POSITION RANK: QB14

PRO COMPARISON: Trace McSorley

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Two things the Jets excel at? S&C and coaching quarterbacks. This kid will be fine

They did a pretty good job with MW and failed with their two other developmental QBs.  Could be they just didn’t have the talent and is on the player.  
Im not blaming this staff for QBs other staffs failed to develop.  

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Joe Douglas is going to go down as the worst drafter of QB talent in the history of the franchise. Travis threw 20 TDs in ten games last year before suffering yet another in a list of leg and shoulder injuries. This was while throwing to two massive ball winners at receiver in Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson, along with TE Jaheim Bell and RB Trey Benson. He’d been in college for six years and finally hooked up with the coach who made Brady White look like the GOAT at Memphis a few years prior. This is a pop-gun armed dude who’s supposedly going to come learn the pro game playing in an offense designed for Aaron Rodgers, who has a top-ten all-time throwing arm. How is that going to work, exactly? The two stiffs they gave camp contracts to are both big-armed freaks. Are they running a special Tebow package for Travis when he finally gets off the injured list? 

FWIW, the QB nerd football draft guys pretty much universally disliked Travis. Ben Solak said he was the worst draftable QB he scouted, Nate Tice explained that it was hard to evaluate Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson because Travis was always late. Here’s Derrik Klassen—who absolutely loves mobile QBs:

Jordan Travis is an incomplete prospect with just enough quickness and gumption to stick around in the NFL.

Travis' arm is not very enticing. While he has decent velocity and can throw some pretty line drives, he lacks overwhelming arm talent. He does not have standout velocity, arm elasticity or ball control. In fact, Travis lacks the natural core strength to throw with ease, which means he strains when he throws and often loses accuracy as a result.

Travis also plays late from the pocket. He operates well on simple, quick-game concepts, but he struggles when asked to throw intermediate. Travis does not anticipate route breaks and throw early. He instead waits to see routes break, which often means he ends up late and the window closes. Travis' jittery pocket presence plays a factor there as well.

With that said, Travis brings a little something as a scrambler. He is a twitched-up athlete who thrives at escaping tight spaces. Travis often slips out of the pocket with ease, and he has enough speed and vision to be a nuisance in the open field. Travis also has the creativity to find unusual throws and plays when things break down.

Travis is a backup quarterback whose athletic profile and moderately intriguing scrambling are the foundation of his game. There's almost nothing about Travis' profile that suggests he is a long-term starting NFL quarterback, though. That's especially true when considering his age and size.

Are you seriously questioning JD’s ability to evaluate the qb position?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t necessarily agree with this assessment or your additional comments, but want to add two points:

1.  Everything, minus height/weight, listed here to criticize Travis could apply to Joe Burrow prior to his arrival at LSU and subsequent pairing with Joe Brady.  Expanding further, some coaches can certainly plug and play guys into their system to mask flaws.  That doesn’t mean that that every coach who can do that isn’t actually coaching them up.  Was Travis’ success due to the system, or was it because he finally found a good coach that helped correct his flaws?  That’s the 100 million dollar question.

2.  Travis probably isn’t going to be the successor to Rodgers.  That doesn’t mean he was a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination.  If you draft a guy in the middle rounds and he becomes a long-term backup, you made a great choice.  The kid is a 5th round pick who, according to most mocks, should have gone higher.  Anything “solid backup” or above is a home-run pick.  There was, virtually, zero risk associated in drafting him there.  Personally speaking, would I have preferred Michael Pratt or Spencer Rattler?  Yeah, if I’m being super honest.  That being said, there wasn’t an enormous difference between the 3 of them when it comes to long-term prospects so I’m just happy we didn’t take someone like Joe Milton in the same slot.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He provided the best moments of Jets football since the 09-10 runs.

With all due respect to the most popular backup QB in Jets history, you can't tell me Mike White gave us more than Fitz in 2015. 

Right?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

IMG_9470.thumb.jpeg.8fb199a10128de3de1003890a072ce0e.jpeg

IMG_9472.thumb.jpeg.e0827b5fc4ba6bc8690ef7d766652356.jpeg

Aggregators are fine and dandy but as I mentioned in my previous posts, I am basing that higher projection on his talent level paired with the idea of “if he didn’t get hurt.”, whereas I’m sure most final mocks accounted for the injury.  I probably should have reiterated that, I guess.

Even if we’re discarding that and going with his injury factored in, I already said that I would have preferred Rattler or Pratt, so unless you’re suggesting we should have taken McCarthy, Penix, or Nix in the first to ensure that we got higher ranked players, I’m in agreement with how the consensus rankings shake out when injuries are accounted for.  Furthermore, according to the aggregate, he was taken a mere 10 spots earlier than “expected.”  If we’re really going to cherry pick 10 slots in the later rounds to sh*t on a 5th round selection, then what are we really doing here?

• Upvote 2

I don't know if Jordan Travis will be any good and we know that it's statistically very unlikely that he ends up becoming a good starting QB in the NFL, but I will say that I loved watching him in college. He had a little bit of magic/IT factor to his game. I will definitely be excited to see him get reps whenever that happens. 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he can gives us a Jalen Hurts sort of impact as a prolific runner who can do a little bit of damage hear and there as a passer. As already mentioned, I'm looking forward to his development. Plus I'm shockingly surprised of the naysayers already claiming he'll never amount to anything. I understand those who feel it unlikely but man! Writing him off already? I hope he proves those wrong. 

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Hopefully he can gives us a Jalen Hurts sort of impact as a prolific runner who can do a little bit of damage hear and there as a passer. As already mentioned, I'm looking forward to his development. Plus I'm shockingly surprised of the naysayers already claiming he'll never amount to anything. I understand those who feel it unlikely but man! Writing him off already? I hope he proves those wrong. 

We Jets fans are conditioned to expect any QB we draft to suck, so not only is that not surprising to me, but entirely expected. 

I'm glad we have a young guy on the roster who no one expects much from. I've been saying for years that, if/when we do finally draft young franchise QB, it will not be a ballyhooed prospect at the top of the draft, but rather, a mid round project who "comes out of nowhere" to grab the spotlight.  

The Chances of Travis being that guy are low, but I do think he is the type of player who can exceed expectations. 

I found the following very interesting.  It contains some stats I had never seen or heard of before.  It's from another Jets site.

There are three main knocks on Jordan Travis. He’s on the smaller side at 6’1, his follow-through mechanics are wild, and not in a good way and he doesn’t have the biggest arm. But what he does do is lead and win games. He has elite athleticism, a good feel for the position and he attacks the middle of the field.

The Jets coaching staff believe they have someone who can develop into the natural successor to Aaron Rodgers. To do that they’ll need to clean up the fundamentals, but with Aaron wanting to play another 2-4 years, and Tyrod Taylor in the building as the veteran backup, the Jets have something they’ve rarely had with a rookie QB. Time.

"I think he hasn't even scratched the surface," Saleh said. "He was winning games, doing things that were just pure athleticism. If we could tie in the football part to it, I think we've got ourselves a pretty damn good football player."

Travis has spoken about taking over from Aaron when the time is right, but right now the focus is on getting back onto the field. After a serious leg injury derailed his final season at Florida State, Travis is looking to bounce back quickly and he said he never thought that the injury would impact his ability to make the jump to the NFL and continue his football career.

"Never," he said. "I mean, I love adversity. I love waking up every single day and having to make a choice. It just makes the story a whole lot cooler. I've always had that from the day I broke my leg until now. So I love it. So there's never been a doubt."

Looking at his time at Florida State you can see why the Jets were interested. Travis lasting until day three wasn’t a surprise, most expected him to be a 5th round pick. His injury coupled with his limitations and mechanical flaws almost guaranteed that, but that also reduces the pressure on his shoulders. It reduces the spotlight, at least a little bit.

I took a look at some of the metrics for Travis and found some interesting things from PFF. Including this trait chart in stable metrics. None of this will blow you away, but it does indicate how effective he can be when kept clean.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama

This is further enhanced by his comparables which had him at a 90.8 grade when no pressure was generated by the defence, which drops to 50.6 when pressured.

If you’ve read TJW since it started, you’ll know that I firmly believe that performance under pressure is a good indicator of success in this league, if you struggle under pressure then carving out a starting role for yourself in the NFL is tough. It’s not impossible and some players like Josh Allen can significantly improve as they develop. But that’s not the norm. In 2018 Allen completed 28.3% of his passes under pressure, which jumped up to 41.9% the next season, and in 2022 he completed 51.3% with 14 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. So improvement can happen.

For Travis, there have been encouraging signs over the last two years. In 2023 he completed 44.6% of passes under pressure with 4 touchdowns to 1 interception and in 2022 he completed 46.7% with 4 touchdowns to 2 interceptions. So the numbers are not awful, but the decision-making is a little erratic.

What happens when you get pressured as a rookie is your internal clocks speeds up and you tend to make poor decisions. For example in 2023 Jorda Travis had a 1.1% turnover-worthy play rate when kept clean, that’s ridiculously good. So on his 251 attempts when kept clean, just 1.1% were deemed worthy of a turnover, when pressured that number more than tripled to 4.8%. So while the base numbers don’t look bad, there is something to be cleaned up there.

Travis had to work with a lot of pressure while at Florida State and his ability to extend plays is pretty remarkable. Players who can extend plays sometimes tend to be their worst enemy, running into sacks and negative plays. I took a look at the allowed pressure numbers are was pretty impressed.

That 14.1% number is pretty good for any QB, let alone a QB who extends plays with his legs. There were 102 college QBs who were responsible for more of their own sacks than Travis. That includes QBs like Caleb Williams who was responsible for 30% of his own pressures and a whopping 15 sacks. That first number is the 8th highest and the second is the joint highest, and you don’t want to be in the top 10 for either of these numbers.

Bo Nix (28.6%), Drake Maye (25.6%) and Michael Penix Jr (21.4%) are all high on that list as well. So while Travis needs to improve, these numbers tell me he doesn’t create his own problems, and that’s part of the battle.

Here is his passing chart for 2023 which shows where his accuracy excels and where it needs improvement. His deep accuracy sits at just 31% which is a poor number in comparison to his peers. That number would actually put him 96th/130 qualified college QBs last season (min 25 attempts), and while he didn’t throw an interception (he had a 0.0% turnover-worthy rate at 20+ yards), he also only threw 3 touchdowns. His mechanics on those deep throws are all over the place largely due to the lack of arm strength, he has to really put everything into that throw with a pitchers leg kick to try and generate enough velocity to push the ball 30+ yards.

Compare that to someone like Jayden Daniels who completed 63.6% of his deep passes for 22 touchdowns and 0 interceptions, but that’s the difference between a first-round prospect and a 5th round prospect. The difference between a guy expected to start straight away and a guy who’s expected to sit and learn.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t necessarily agree with this assessment or your additional comments, but want to add two points:

1.  Everything, minus height/weight, listed here to criticize Travis could apply to Joe Burrow prior to his arrival at LSU and subsequent pairing with Joe Brady.  Expanding further, some coaches can certainly plug and play guys into their system to mask flaws.  That doesn’t mean that that every coach who can do that isn’t actually coaching them up.  Was Travis’ success due to the system, or was it because he finally found a good coach that helped correct his flaws?  That’s the 100 million dollar question.

2.  Travis probably isn’t going to be the successor to Rodgers.  That doesn’t mean he was a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination.  If you draft a guy in the middle rounds and he becomes a long-term backup, you made a great choice.  The kid is a 5th round pick who, according to most mocks, should have gone higher.  Anything “solid backup” or above is a home-run pick.  There was, virtually, zero risk associated in drafting him there.  Personally speaking, would I have preferred Michael Pratt or Spencer Rattler?  Yeah, if I’m being super honest.  That being said, there wasn’t an enormous difference between the 3 of them when it comes to long-term prospects so I’m just happy we didn’t take someone like Joe Milton in the same slot.

Eh. Burrow is a 6’4 220 lb supercomputer who was prolific at LSU. Travis is the opposite of those things. And why should Joe Douglas be using picks on a kid who’ll be the backup QB in three years? Seems truly optimistic regarding his employment prospects, even if you allow for drafting a backup QB as a noble idea. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

With all due respect to the most popular backup QB in Jets history, you can't tell me Mike White gave us more than Fitz in 2015. 

Right?

It was a different vibe, though. Fitz was never taking us anywhere, which made it fun. White was a light in the darkness for a couple of games. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It was a different vibe, though. Fitz was never taking us anywhere, which made it fun. White was a light in the darkness for a couple of games. 

Where was White taking us? 😅

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

White was never taking us anywhere either, lol.  Just stop.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. Burrow is a 6’4 220 lb supercomputer who was prolific at LSU. Travis is the opposite of those things. And why should Joe Douglas be using picks on a kid who’ll be the backup QB in three years? Seems truly optimistic regarding his employment prospects, even if you allow for drafting a backup QB as a noble idea. 

Right, which is why I mentioned that the height and weight are the big difference.  Additionally, prior to the injury, Jordan Travis was looking to be a Heisman Trophy finalist, so to claim that he wasn’t “prolific” is disingenuous, at best.  Was he on Burrows level?  No.  That being said, that year was a 1 of 1 type of QB season from Joe.

The reasoning, I figure, is that once you hit the 4th round or lower, it’s not like you are getting a bonafide franchise QB.  You’re taking a guy with potential and hoping for the best.  I don’t think Douglas had any concrete plans with any of the potential QBs he was targeting; I think he was just looking to take the best developmental guy he could get his hands on.  It’s a 5th round pick.  Why wouldn’t he take that shot when he has actually built a roster that will allow the kid to sit and learn?  I think that’s a better use of resources than, say, some random LB who, at best, is a Special Teams player at his peak.  Even a backup quarterback is more certainly more valuable than that.

55 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

According to most mock drafts prior to INJ, he was considered a 2nd rounder and Heisman Trophy Finalist is mostly what was meant. 

Yes; thank you.

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

According to most mock drafts prior to INJ, he was considered a 2nd rounder and Heisman Trophy Finalist is mostly what was meant. 

Not at allll. He missed two games. He wasn’t putting anything on tape in those two games that would have taken him from a fifth to a second. He was still going to be 6’1” 200 lbs with a puny arm. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Right, which is why I mentioned that the height and weight are the big difference.  Additionally, prior to the injury, Jordan Travis was looking to be a Heisman Trophy finalist, so to claim that he wasn’t “prolific” is disingenuous, at best.  Was he on Burrows level?  No.  That being said, that year was a 1 of 1 type of QB season from Joe.

The reasoning, I figure, is that once you hit the 4th round or lower, it’s not like you are getting a bonafide franchise QB.  You’re taking a guy with potential and hoping for the best.  I don’t think Douglas had any concrete plans with any of the potential QBs he was targeting; I think he was just looking to take the best developmental guy he could get his hands on.  It’s a 5th round pick.  Why wouldn’t he take that shot when he has actually built a roster that will allow the kid to sit and learn?  I think that’s a better use of resources than, say, some random LB who, at best, is a Special Teams player at his peak.  Even a backup quarterback is more certainly more valuable than that.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying, but I disagree on two parts: 1. Travis’ potential and 2. The wisdom of burning a pick on a player whom the current GM has a <3% chance of seeing bear fruit. If this season goes sideways for any reason, the first thing a new GM is going to do is fumigate the QB room, Travis included. Given that, he was absolutely better off using the pick on a special teamer or developmental guard.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Where was White taking us? 😅

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

White was never taking us anywhere either, lol.  Just stop.

Didn’t mean to imply that White was taking us anywhere. Just meant the difference was we didn’t know anything about White and provided an unexpected spark, which was fun. Everyone knew Fitz’s deal.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I get what you’re saying, but I disagree on two parts: 1. Travis’ potential and 2. The wisdom of burning a pick on a player whom the current GM has a <3% chance of seeing bear fruit. If this season goes sideways for any reason, the first thing a new GM is going to do is fumigate the QB room, Travis included. Given that, he was absolutely better off using the pick on a special teamer or developmental guard.

I read something after the draft about qbs, saying the 2nd draft day qb is gone.  Guys like nix and penix, who should go in rounds 2 and 3, are now getting pushed into round 1.  I would also imagine that a guy like hurts would also have gone round 1 this year.  

So now you either reach for your flawed early round 1 qb or day 2 qb in round 1 and hope he pans out, or draft a guy on day 3 who has more flaws (milton(, is injured (travis) or has less upside (pratt).  After the whole wilson fiasco, it makes sense for the rest of this douglas regime to import starting qbs while taking shots on day 3 developmental qbs.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not at allll. He missed two games. He wasn’t putting anything on tape in those two games that would have taken him from a fifth to a second. He was still going to be 6’1” 200 lbs with a puny arm. 

So what you’re saying is that if Travis never got his leg destroyed but instead had some postseason college success, his draft position wouldn’t’ve potentially been significantly higher? 

I really don’t have a horse in this race, but that seems a stretch. The injury alone probably dropped him dramatically. Had he had a chance to “just win” in the college playoff tournament, I think that would’ve been a positive, too. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t mean to imply that White was taking us anywhere. Just meant the difference was we didn’t know anything about White and provided an unexpected spark, which was fun. Everyone knew Fitz’s deal.

How many Jets fans expected Fitzpatrick to throw for nearly 4000 yards and 31 TD's? Seriously.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

So what you’re saying is that if Travis never got his leg destroyed but instead had some postseason college success, his draft position wouldn’t’ve potentially been significantly higher? 

I really don’t have a horse in this race, but that seems a stretch. The injury alone probably dropped him dramatically. Had he had a chance to “just win” in the college playoff tournament, I think that would’ve been a positive, too. 

As far as I understand it, that’s not how scouting works. They’re evaluating these players based on their skillset and athletic traits—not whether their team makes a fugazi playoff run. If that was the case, Stetson Bennett would have been the first overall pick.