Jets QB Jordan Travis sees himself as Aaron Rodgers' successor

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't disagree that elite accuracy is critical for a great QB but a noodle arm QB is a guy with a limited ceiling.  What were you winning with Chad Pennington?  The Snoopy Bowl?

I have no idea where people get this stuff from (and you're not the first person I've heard say it).  TB12 had a very strong arm.  

Did he though? He could certainly make all the throws, but I never saw him putting the kind of zip on the ball we see from the modern Mahomes, Allens, etc. When he wanted to go 40yds down field that ball was going waaaaay up there. He simply had near perfect touch and placement, everytime.

I think arm strength standards have just increased too. It didn't used to be an expectation that you could zip a 40yd throw on a near straight-line, that was just a plus trait (and a lot of the modern QBs would get broken in the old school NFL before they could show it off). That's part of what confuses me about the Travis hate too though, he may not have the absolute cannon we've seen on recent prospects but he's no Pennington either. Pretty average for a college QB, maybe even above average.

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Did he though? He could certainly make all the throws, but I never saw him putting the kind of zip on the ball we see from the modern Mahomes, Allens, etc. When he wanted to go 40yds down field that ball was going waaaaay up there.

I think arm strength standards have just increased too. It didn't used to be an expectation that you could zip a 40yd throw on a near straight-line, that was just a plus trait (and a lot of the modern QBs would get broken in the old school NFL before they could show it off). That's part of what confuses me about the Travis hate too though, he may not have the absolute cannon we've seen on recent prospects but he's no Pennington either. Pretty average for a college QB, maybe even above average.

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh come on, on the double crow hop janitor throw? Lol. I watched this live too.

Even Travis can throw it 50yds in the air, flat footed from the back of the pocket (and I will send evidence if you want). I'm entirely sure he could launch it 75yds too doing this, although whether it'd be accurate is another question. Hell, a few folks on this forum probably could. I'm not disputing Brady had a good arm, but if he was coming out of college today you'd all be saying he had a weak arm too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr. Rogers said:

Oh come on, on the double crow hop janitor throw? Lol. I watched this live too.

Even Travis can throw it 50yds in the air, flat footed from the back of the pocket (and I will send evidence if you want). I'm entirely sure he could launch it 75yds too doing this, although whether it'd be accurate is another question. Hell, a few folks on this forum probably could. I'm not disputing Brady had a good arm, but if he was coming out of college today you'd all be saying he had a weak arm too. 

Brady didn't have a rocket arm like Zach Wilson does but I stand by my point that he had a very strong arm.  

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Brady didn't have a rocket arm like Zach Wilson does but I stand by my point that he had a very strong arm.  

Mystifying to me that you'll call Brady's arm (which was never notorious for its strength) "very strong" yet go ahead and call this kid noodle armed. I haven't seen a single pro scouting report suggesting he's worse than average - you'll find "lacks elite arm talent" but again, you don't need to be Josh Allen to make a fine pro. Brady is the poster child for that point, which is why I mentioned him. 

If we're just taking 1 video for our points, how about a 50yd high velocity throw with a quick release from inside a crowded pocket? I don't reckon anyone who can do this can't throw 75 with a running start and 2 hops.

The guy wouldn't have gotten drafted if he didn't at least have enough arm strength to fit in. Someone else would have taken him if the Jets didnt, the steelers, commanders and raiders all met with him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Mystifying to me that you'll call Brady's arm (which was never notorious for its strength) "very strong" yet go ahead and call this kid noodle armed. I haven't seen a single pro scouting report suggesting he's worse than average - you'll find "lacks elite arm talent" but again, you don't need to be Josh Allen to make a fine pro. Brady is the poster child for that point, which is why I mentioned him. 

If we're just taking 1 video for our points, how about a 50yd high velocity throw with a quick release from inside a crowded pocket? I don't reckon anyone who can do this can't throw 75 with a running start and 2 hops.

I'm not really that familiar with Travis.  I'm just going by reports of his arm strength.  As far as TB12, early in his career maybe you'd have an argument.  But when he hit his stride as a player, he had a very strong arm and I stand by that.  He doesn't have Patrick Mahomes' arm strength but that's a separate question.  You can have a very strong arm without being #1 in the NFL in arm strength.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not really that familiar with Travis.  I'm just going by reports of his arm strength.  As far as TB12, early in his career maybe you'd have an argument.  But when he hit his stride as a player, he had a very strong arm and I stand by that.  He doesn't have Patrick Mahomes' arm strength but that's a separate question.  You can have a very strong arm without being #1 in the NFL in arm strength.

What reports called him noodle (weak) armed? I'd be curious to read them. I will accept defeat if you can find some valid ones that aren't just FSU Redditors or something. 

I agree that you can have a strong arm without getting your name thrown in with Mahomes and Allen. I think pretty much every NFL starter right now has a strong arm, especially historically speaking. From what I've seen, Travis has a reasonably strong arm too, and we could probably further strengthen it with some core workouts and help on mechanics. 

16 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Travis Jordan will indeed be the next cornerstone QB of the franchise. Had he not gotten hurt we're talking about a late 1st but realistically a 2nd rounder, possibly Heisman Trophy winner. We better give this guy a chance before we consider wasting another 1st (Sanchez, Darnold, Wilson) on a QB. He clearly doesn't have the elite arm talent but his legs makeup up for any blemishes we have pass protecting. He's cleary a 4.4-4.5 QB. 

Once healthy, I'll consider him as a QB2 over Taylor. He's a true x-factor. Passing, running and making off platform plays.

He looks so much faster on 1.25x replay speed

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jordan Travis: never considered a first, second, or third rounder. 

Travis was actually very much considered a day one into a day two pick before his injury

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

What reports called him noodle (weak) armed? I'd be curious to read them. I will accept defeat if you can find some valid ones that aren't just FSU Redditors or something. 

I agree that you can have a strong arm without getting your name thrown in with Mahomes and Allen. I think pretty much every NFL starter right now has a strong arm, especially historically speaking. From what I've seen, Travis has a reasonably strong arm too, and we could probably further strengthen it with some core workouts and help on mechanics. 

I don't remember where I heard about Travis' arm strength though I did find the article below.  Tbh, though, I'm not trying to win an argument about JT's arm strength.  The comments I made (about a noodle arm QB is very likely a low ceiling guy) were more in the abstract.  Fwiw, maybe Travis has a stronger arm than he's given credit for and/or maybe he can improve with strength training and better technique.  I'm rooting for him.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10117396-jordan-travis-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-new-york-jets-qb

Travis' arm is not very enticing. While he has decent velocity and can throw some pretty line drives, he lacks overwhelming arm talent. He does not have standout velocity, arm elasticity or ball control. In fact, Travis lacks the natural core strength to throw with ease, which means he strains when he throws and often loses accuracy as a result.

• Upvote 1

Who knows what the future holds for this kid but i gotta say seeing his highlights I was impressed with his accuracy (grain of salt is that they are highlights). I would like to see all of his passes from his best and worst games this season to get w better handle on his accuracy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Brady had an ok arm coming out of michigan but worked hard not only on his upper body but on footwork.  Also I think arm strength is overrated, I’d take a guy with an ok arm who can hit a 9 yard slant w/o looking completely confused and flustered. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Do your own research and homework, brother...  or don't. Its all good.

If there's one thing you should know about T0m by now, he doesn't believe in "do your own research".  He considers that to be "conspiratorial pine tar".

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

By whom

I would encourage you to go back and look up all the articles before he injured his ankle. He was most definitely a first round to second round pick at that time 

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If there's one thing you should know about T0m by now, he doesn't believe in "do your own research".  He considers that to be "conspiratorial pine tar".

34 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I would encourage you to go back and look up all the articles before he injured his ankle. He was most definitely a first round to second round pick at that time 

I mean if Jordan Travis was this highly regarded first round prospect, it’d be pretty easy to find an article or a pre-season ranking saying as much, no? 

1 minute ago, faba said:

Remember what Tom Shane says is gospel to him and only him hahah

Eat sh*t frank I will kick your ******* ass I owe you mother******** meet me at the AM/PM tonight at 11:30 *****

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean if Jordan Travis was this highly regarded first round prospect, it’d be pretty easy to find an article or a pre-season ranking saying as much, no? 

It would be. Im sure it would take you a few seconds to confirm that 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

It’s funny that a post meant to insult our draft picks arm strength is probably the best QB we’ve had in the last 20 years. 

Even still, he obviously has a stronger arm than Penny. What are we even talking about here?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And if there's anyone in the league who can help mold a QB, it's Robert Saleh and his outstanding staff!

I'm not sure if he can mold a ball of clay but I am certain he can't mold a lump of dog sh*t. See Wilson, Zach.

As a guy who watched his kid play for three years on the opposite side of my canes, all I Gotta say is, he’s going to make a lot of you eat crow. Kid is a winner a great leader, and again his force of Will is so strong.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think Travis’ best quality that’s valuable to us is that he’s gotten better every year. So sitting and getting healthy and learning behind one of the best to ever do it and a vet QB that plays similar to him. Should really help him adjust to the NFL. Not saying I fully expect him to be a franchise QB for us in a couple years. But for once we might be doing it the right way, with having a QB sit and learn for a bit.

• Upvote 4