Jets QB Jordan Travis sees himself as Aaron Rodgers' successor

41 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

How many Jets fans expected Fitzpatrick to throw for nearly 4000 yards and 31 TD's? Seriously.

He went 6-6 in twelve starts with 63%/2,500/17/8 for a middling Texans team the year prior.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As far as I understand it, that’s not how scouting works. They’re evaluating these players based on their skillset and athletic traits—not whether their team makes a fugazi playoff run. If that was the case, Stetson Bennett would have been the first overall pick.

Again, any college post season success and/or Heisman consideration would only be seen as a positive, but that’s not the crux of the matter. The main issue is the broken/dislocated ankle and subsequent ligament damage. Especially on a player whose top attributes include his athleticism. Players drop in the draft due to injury concerns all the time, and I don’t think Travis was an exception. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Again, any college post season success and/or Heisman consideration would only be seen as a positive, but that’s not the crux of the matter. The main issue is the broken/dislocated ankle and subsequent ligament damage. Especially on a player whose top attributes include his athleticism. Players drop in the draft due to injury concerns all the time, and I don’t think Travis was an exception. 

Right, but the claim was that he was a first/second round pick who fell because of the injury, and that’s just not true. He was never considered a first/second round pick. That’s just some revisionist fan-fiction crafted by Jets fans. He wasn’t a top 100 player before, during, or after the 23 season according to Brugler, Kiper, PFN, etc. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but the claim was that he was a first/second round pick who fell because of the injury, and that’s just not true. He was never considered a first/second round pick. That’s just some revisionist fan-fiction crafted by Jets fans. He wasn’t a top 100 player before, during, or after the 23 season according to Brugler, Kiper, PFN, etc. 

That’s cool, and I agree with that. I’m happy for these fans who think Travis can actually become the Jets starter at some point, though, even if my hopes generally top out at the competent backup level. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s cool, and I agree with that. I’m happy for these fans who think Travis can actually become the Jets starter at some point, though, even if my hopes generally top out at the competent backup level. 

If any day 3 pick becomes a decent backup qb you picked well.  I may have posted this here already but i saw something during the draft, someone was lamenting that the draft day 2 qb is gone.  Anyone who is ranked as a day 2 qb is being pushed into round 1 now.  If Jalen hurts were in this draft he would probably have gone round 1 also.  So what do teams do?  The jets swung and missed Dave kingman style on Zach Wilson.  So they overpaid for an older vet and drafted a guy on day 3.  The top 6 qbs in the draft were gone by pick 12.  So what do you do now?  You either risk your gm future on picking drake maye or caleb williams or bo nix, or you import vets like rodgers, fitz, goff, cousins Russell and then continue to draft qbs (like atlanta did with penix) until you hit on another.  SF hit on purdy and his arm strength was criticized, and it’s overrated.

It was a weird QB draft.  6 guys in the top 12 then the longest drought in draft history.  The “mid round development “ QB just wasn’t there. 

They liked Travis over the others.  

I personally don’t think he’s any kind of successor.  The jets just finally figured out that you need a pipeline.  

I just hope Rodgers communicates his retirement plans with the jets with enough lead time for them to go get a guy 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, Mr. Rogers said:

This is what I was going to say.

Besides time in the film room and getting scout team / pre season looks to get him used to NFL game speed, you can bet this will be a top priority. Players can "increase" their arm strength by working on planting their feet and following through with correct technique, as well as packing on some muscle across the board (esp ass, back, and shoulders).

Whether or not he actually succeeds Rodgers is questionable, but the Jets are giving him a couple years to show he deserves a shot. I like it, low risk, high reward. It seems like he has a good mentality too - and what'd we expect him to tell the Interviewer? "No, I'm coming for the starting job this year!!!1!1" 

Wonderful,  first it was Becton's ankles now we can look forward to years of posts about Travis Jordan's ass.🤣

That was in reference to the quote below.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, Mr. Rogers said:

This is what I was going to say.

Besides time in the film room and getting scout team / pre season looks to get him used to NFL game speed, you can bet this will be a top priority. Players can "increase" their arm strength by working on planting their feet and following through with correct technique, as well as packing on some muscle across the board (esp ass, back, and shoulders).

Whether or not he actually succeeds Rodgers is questionable, but the Jets are giving him a couple years to show he deserves a shot. I like it, low risk, high reward. It seems like he has a good mentality too - and what'd we expect him to tell the Interviewer? "No, I'm coming for the starting job this year!!!1!1" 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not at allll. He missed two games. He wasn’t putting anything on tape in those two games that would have taken him from a fifth to a second. He was still going to be 6’1” 200 lbs with a puny arm. 

What are you saying here. That the mock didn't have him as a 2nd, early 3rd rounder? Or that you just disagree with the evaluation? What is meant by "Not at allll?" 

He missed one regular season game (Florida Gators), ACC Championship Game (Louisville) and a chance to participate in the BCS playoffs. 

Those extra games could have taken him from the 2nd, late 3rd rounder to possibly getting overdrafted which we witness all the time. If he wins the national championship/Heisman then his stock skyrockets. Then being healthy enough to test at the combine, have a pro day and the most importantly thing here is participating at the Senior Bowl. Instead of working on his game with a QB coach he's instead rehabbing his legs.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yes he was. You can keep denying that fact all you'd like, but he was listed as a 2nd round QB in MANY projections. I know that because I follow FSU in the same way I follow the Jets. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not at allll. He missed two games. He wasn’t putting anything on tape in those two games that would have taken him from a fifth to a second. He was still going to be 6’1” 200 lbs with a puny arm. 

This post shows your ignorance to the subject, in a very very large way.

His injury prevented him from missing two games, taking his team to the playoffs, and making a run for not only the heisman but also a title. If you honestly believe that his injury did not impact his draft stock in a large way and all he missed was 2 games, again, you are ignorant. 

For the record, Jordan Travis is the same height as Caleb Williams and weighs 3lbs less. In fact, that build is also the exact same as many guys, including Lamar Jackson. 

And for the record, you have an amazing ability to provide proper analysis on your view of him: "he's small and has a puny arm". Amazing analysis!

39 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Those extra games could have taken him from the 2nd, late 3rd rounder to possibly getting overdrafted which we witness all the time

When does this happen? Conversely, he would have gone into the offseason circuit and showed off why he was considered a fourth rounder throughout the whole process. He was always going to be small, frail, with a nothing arm and little else to hang his hat on as a prospect. I get some of you guys were enamored with him because he was on a spunky ACC team, but the fact is that there are Jordan Travis-like prospects in every draft class—undersized, under-skilled gamers who get the “winner” tag. There’s a 5000% chance the Jets drafted him solely because he interviewed as a nice kid who loves football. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

This is an objective truth. The idea that he was a first round prospect, on the other hand, is your vibes.

purdy nearly went undrafted b/c of his puny arm.  how overrated is having a cannon for an arm?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

purdy nearly went undrafted b/c of his puny arm.  how overrated is having a cannon for an arm?

Purdy is an all-time anomaly playing in the literal Shanahan scheme. Travis is going to be asked to run Aaron Rodgers’ plays. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

It was a weird QB draft.  6 guys in the top 12 then the longest drought in draft history.  The “mid round development “ QB just wasn’t there. 

They liked Travis over the others.  

I personally don’t think he’s any kind of successor.  The jets just finally figured out that you need a pipeline.  

I just hope Rodgers communicates his retirement plans with the jets with enough lead time for them to go get a guy 

Starting next offseason I don’t think that the Jets should wait to hear from Rodgers to draft a successor in the 1st or 2nd round, and regardless of how Travis looks.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Purdy is an all-time anomaly playing in the literal Shanahan scheme. Travis is going to be asked to run Aaron Rodgers’ plays. 

Quarterbacks in the Rodgers offense when Rodgers isn’t playing…

image.gif.a2440d8d15910ac859a1e79dce50f7f8.gif

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When does this happen? Conversely, he would have gone into the offseason circuit and showed off why he was considered a fourth rounder throughout the whole process. He was always going to be small, frail, with a nothing arm and little else to hang his hat on as a prospect. I get some of you guys were enamored with him because he was on a spunky ACC team, but the fact is that there are Jordan Travis-like prospects in every draft class—undersized, under-skilled gamers who get the “winner” tag. There’s a 5000% chance the Jets drafted him solely because he interviewed as a nice kid who loves football. 

To a certain extent, I do think you saw it this year w/ McCarthy and Penix.  These dudes were not top 10 picks all year long.

I think in the case of Travis, those games definitely could have helped his draft stock, simply because the ACC is trash and he played sh*t competition his entire career.  As usual w/ FSU, it was the most unimpressive undefeated season a power 5 conference team could have and stepping up and actually facing real competition, and seeing him excel would have 100% helped boost his draft positioning.  And the reason I think it does more so w/ Travis, is because he is a fantastic example of having all those traits you mentioned but being super duper coachable and talented enough, to actually put it together.  His development over the years has been incredible.  His jump from Soph to his Jr. year, was impressive.  Coaches love that sh*t.  He hypothetically goes up against Bama and balls out, 100% some GM would  jizz himself watching that film and thinking what if, and reach for him. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

point is, if you're not taking one of the 6 qbs that went top 12, you're taking a flyer on a flawed day 3 prospect and it's not worth complaining that he's too short or has an injury.  that's what you're getting in a qb on day 3, a flawed prospect.  if you want a better one you're taking him instead of fashanu.  want nix?

I'll tell you, this thread is entertaining at least.

I know we have a lot of very opinionated folks here, but your opinions (informed or not) are nothing more than sheer speculation at this point.

Why don't we all wait a few seasons and see how this actually shakes out.

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I know we have a lot of very opinionated folks here, but your opinions (informed or not) are nothing more than sheer speculation at this point.

okay, hope you come back to forum in a couple of years to discuss the topic.

the rest of us will continue to speculate

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

College football's top 100 players for 2023

8. Jordan Travis

QB, Florida State, senior
Notable 2022 stats: 32 total TDs (24 pass, 7 rush, 1 rec)
2022 ranking: 29

Three years ago, Travis approached Florida State's new coaching staff with an offer to swap positions to tailback or receiver. Mike Norvell & Co. declined. Their decision was wise. Last year, Travis blossomed into one of the most prolific QBs in the nation, accounting for more than 3,600 yards of offense, 32 touchdowns and a Total QBR of 85.8, seventh best nationally.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38122924/top-100-players-caleb-williams-maye-bowers-2023

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

College football's top 100 players for 2023

8. Jordan Travis

QB, Florida State, senior
Notable 2022 stats: 32 total TDs (24 pass, 7 rush, 1 rec)
2022 ranking: 29

He seems to have a real passion for the game, I'm rooting for him.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:10 AM, T0mShane said:

Joe Douglas is going to go down as the worst drafter of QB talent in the history of the franchise. Travis threw 20 TDs in ten games last year before suffering yet another in a list of leg and shoulder injuries. This was while throwing to two massive ball winners at receiver in Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson, along with TE Jaheim Bell and RB Trey Benson. He’d been in college for six years and finally hooked up with the coach who made Brady White look like the GOAT at Memphis a few years prior. This is a pop-gun armed dude who’s supposedly going to come learn the pro game playing in an offense designed for Aaron Rodgers, who has a top-ten all-time throwing arm. How is that going to work, exactly? The two stiffs they gave camp contracts to are both big-armed freaks. Are they running a special Tebow package for Travis when he finally gets off the injured list? 

FWIW, the QB nerd football draft guys pretty much universally disliked Travis. Ben Solak said he was the worst draftable QB he scouted, Nate Tice explained that it was hard to evaluate Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson because Travis was always late. Here’s Derrik Klassen—who absolutely loves mobile QBs:

Jordan Travis is an incomplete prospect with just enough quickness and gumption to stick around in the NFL.

Travis' arm is not very enticing. While he has decent velocity and can throw some pretty line drives, he lacks overwhelming arm talent. He does not have standout velocity, arm elasticity or ball control. In fact, Travis lacks the natural core strength to throw with ease, which means he strains when he throws and often loses accuracy as a result.

Travis also plays late from the pocket. He operates well on simple, quick-game concepts, but he struggles when asked to throw intermediate. Travis does not anticipate route breaks and throw early. He instead waits to see routes break, which often means he ends up late and the window closes. Travis' jittery pocket presence plays a factor there as well.

With that said, Travis brings a little something as a scrambler. He is a twitched-up athlete who thrives at escaping tight spaces. Travis often slips out of the pocket with ease, and he has enough speed and vision to be a nuisance in the open field. Travis also has the creativity to find unusual throws and plays when things break down.

Travis is a backup quarterback whose athletic profile and moderately intriguing scrambling are the foundation of his game. There's almost nothing about Travis' profile that suggests he is a long-term starting NFL quarterback, though. That's especially true when considering his age and size.

GRADE: 4.8 (Developmental Prospect — UDFA)

OVERALL RANK: 301

POSITION RANK: QB14

PRO COMPARISON: Trace McSorley

your articles first sentence refutes your point.  the guy was a 3rd day pick not a first rounder.  not sure what you expect.

JD might be a bad qb drafter but this pick really has nothing to do with that view.

prospect with just enough quickness and gumption to stick around in the NFL.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is an objective truth. The idea that he was a first round prospect, on the other hand, is your vibes.

You still refuse to acknowledge the fact that he is the same size as the 1st overall draft pick in 2024 and the same size as many starting NFL QBs. 

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

To a certain extent, I do think you saw it this year w/ McCarthy and Penix.  These dudes were not top 10 picks all year long.

I think in the case of Travis, those games definitely could have helped his draft stock, simply because the ACC is trash and he played sh*t competition his entire career.  As usual w/ FSU, it was the most unimpressive undefeated season a power 5 conference team could have and stepping up and actually facing real competition, and seeing him excel would have 100% helped boost his draft positioning.  And the reason I think it does more so w/ Travis, is because he is a fantastic example of having all those traits you mentioned but being super duper coachable and talented enough, to actually put it together.  His development over the years has been incredible.  His jump from Soph to his Jr. year, was impressive.  Coaches love that sh*t.  He hypothetically goes up against Bama and balls out, 100% some GM would  jizz himself watching that film and thinking what if, and reach for him. 

Eh. Brugler put out a “way too early 2024 mock” back in May 2023 and he had McCarthy going 15th and Penix 23rd. Agreed that there are enough stupid GMs that’d fall into the trap of overdrafting a kid they saw play well in a big TV game, but not enough to take a prospect from R5 to R2. That’d be nuts. Even this year when Rattler was getting some post-season hype, the NFL was like “nah.” 

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

point is, if you're not taking one of the 6 qbs that went top 12, you're taking a flyer on a flawed day 3 prospect and it's not worth complaining that he's too short or has an injury.  that's what you're getting in a qb on day 3, a flawed prospect.  if you want a better one you're taking him instead of fashanu.  want nix?

It’s fine in theory to take flyers on late round QB’s, but it’s a curious choice at best for this regime to draft a QB who will never see the field while they are employed here, and most likely never period. 

14 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

You still refuse to acknowledge the fact that he is the same size as the 1st overall draft pick in 2024 and the same size as many starting NFL QBs. 

By this standard, I am the “same size” as Lawrence Taylor in his prime.

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Fine. Is it okay if we start discussing Sam Darnold now, or is it still too soon?