Jets QB Jordan Travis sees himself as Aaron Rodgers' successor

23 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He clearly doesn't have the elite arm talent but his legs makeup up for any blemishes we have pass protecting. 

We just had a QB with elite-arm talent.  I would like to try someone who is actually good at the quarterbacking but may not be able to throw the ball 60 yards on a rope downfield. 

• Upvote 3

By the time he is ready .. if he is ever ready the team will have drafted the next QB of the future. Best of luck to him ... It's a long shot.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

That’s interesting because he wasn’t in PFN’s preseason Top 100, now was he in SI’s preseason top 100, and he wasn’t in Brugler‘s preseason or post-season top 100. But maybe Ian Valentino is a big Jets fan because he has three Jets prospects in his first round mock—Travis, Corley, and the UDFA tackle Leonard Taylor

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't disagree that elite accuracy is critical for a great QB but a noodle arm QB is a guy with a limited ceiling.  What were you winning with Chad Pennington?  The Snoopy Bowl?

I have no idea where people get this stuff from (and you're not the first person I've heard say it).  TB12 had a very strong arm.  

I think chaddy had a big enough arm when he first started.  After he got his rotator cuff injury that he couldn’t throw with any zip.

As for Travis, just what should a qb aspire to be?  He may not be the guy but he also might be pretty good if he keeps his head in the game.

If Rodgers can stay healthy, it sounds like he's motivated to play for some time.  If that happens, Travis' time will run out before getting his shot.  That and he will have to beat out the other camp arms, Colby Suits and Andrew Peasley, who are impressing while Travis is still slowly recovering from his broken leg and dislocated ankle.

The best thing that could possibly happen for him is to get a true redshirt year and not be active on gameday once. Just heal and learn. That would obviously mean Rodgers is healthy which is the goal of the entire franchise but the payoff down the road would be maximized 

• Upvote 3

Travis
3 years as a college starter with continued improvement each and every year. Played for a big school program, against very solid big school competition. Over three years as a starter his numbers are, 66 TD’s against 22 interceptions, for a 64% completion rate. With 31 rushing TD’s added to his totals for 97 TD’s vs 22 give aways.
I remember Bill Parcells saying he wanted his QB’s to have at the least, 3 years college experience as starters and to have had success. Travis fits that profile to a tee and more.

Listen, I know not every player is a lock to make the transition from college to the NFL; but believe me when I say this kid is the best prospect we have drafted at the position in years. An if anyone can make the leap, it will be Jordan.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Appreciate the link, but I remember Chris Simms assuring all of us that Zack Wilson was the real deal can’t miss franchise QB. The Problem was his head was empty between his ears. Only had one good year in Mormon land and was never a leader in any sense of the word

Travis on the other hand had 3 years as a starter in a top college football program. He was the undisputed team leader and captain on the field and in the locker room. He can make all the throws and with serious accuracy. He was the kind of Quarterback who took the team on his shoulders and won games. He never shy away from taking responsibility good or bad and many times more blame then he deserved for a team loss. The guy can read defenses and did a great job making adjustments at the line. He also extended many plays using his legs with positive results because of it.
I hated his guts in college because he was so damn good and our hated rival (Hurricanes Fan here). Yet,I tell you what, now that he is a Jet I am going to be a huge fan of this kid.

It is my serious hope that he can make the transition of his college skills to the NFL. If he can do that, we will finally have a franchise quarterback that can lead this team for many years to come. No pressure then…….

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Re-watched and that's some pretty impressive velocity considering he's going full speed and has to throw across his body.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2024 at 6:43 PM, artemusclyde said:

Not sure if anyone else flipped through that draft but not only were Travis and Olu listed as first rounders but but so was Malachi Corley and in a real surprise Leonard Taylor.  Pretty wild.....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fltflo said:

Appreciate the link, but I remember Chris Simms assuring all of us that Zack Wilson was the real deal can’t miss franchise QB. The Problem was his head was empty between his ears. Only had one good year in Mormon land and was never a leader in any sense of the word

Travis on the other hand had 3 years as a starter in a top college football program. He was the undisputed team leader and captain on the field and in the locker room. He can make all the throws and with serious accuracy. He was the kind of Quarterback who took the team on his shoulders and won games. He never shy away from taking responsibility good or bad and many times more blame then he deserved for a team loss. The guy can read defenses and did a great job making adjustments at the line. He also extended many plays using his legs with positive results because of it.
I hated his guts in college because he was so damn good and our hated rival (Hurricanes Fan here). Yet,I tell you what, now that he is a Jet I am going to be a huge fan of this kid.

It is my serious hope that he can make the transition of his college skills to the NFL. If he can do that, we will finally have a franchise quarterback that can lead this team for many years to come. No pressure then…….

As a Canes fan can you give us your personal thoughts on Leonard Taylor?  Was it an effort/character thing with him?

On 5/4/2024 at 9:26 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Probably but you never know. This is someone who if he didn’t get hurt would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Easily. Look at ALL the QB’s that were drafted high in round 1 over just the last 5 years and have been abominable busts. This kid has a 6th sense and can handle pressure.  The only question is if he can fully recover from his injury. I don’t think teams would have looked at him unless his recovery was optimistic. Worth the risk to take him in the 6th round. He has the luxury to sit back, heal, learn under a HOF QB. It’s a win, win. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_5186.png

I had those same glasses. Tom Ford. They make you look really really smart.  But they are not made very well. Poor engineering and break fairly easily. We’ll see him sporting some new ones soon. image.jpeg.1823e4297136835b76cf683889eee9ff.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2024 at 6:43 PM, artemusclyde said:

Top 15.....and comments on a "strong arm".... Well then!

15) Las Vegas Raiders: Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State

It’s hard to imagine this season going well for the Las Vegas Raiders, considering their overall roster, disastrous performance in close games in 2022, and new injury-prone quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. Finding a long-term answer has to become a priority if the Raiders don’t buck expectations. Our QB4, Florida State’s Jordan Travis, would be a fun replacement to add.

Week 11 College Football Team of the Week: Jordan Travis Nearly Perfect, Marvin Harrison Jr. Flashes Brilliance

Starting in Week 8 of 2022, Travis was the best quarterback in the nation. He’s a unique playmaker who is incredibly dangerous outside of the pocket. His strong arm, underrated mental processing ability, and accuracy all looked much improved as he gained confidence last season.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2024 at 10:41 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't disagree that elite accuracy is critical for a great QB but a noodle arm QB is a guy with a limited ceiling.  What were you winning with Chad Pennington?  The Snoopy Bowl?

What could you win with Steve Young, Montana, Burrow or a Purdy?

I have no idea where people get this stuff from (and you're not the first person I've heard say it).  TB12 had a very strong arm.  

Brady came into the league with an average arm.  First game he started in the Meadowlands he had problems skipping short throws to the outside.  He fixed his mechanics and body, gained more zip on the ball

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Not sure if anyone else flipped through that draft but not only were Travis and Olu listed as first rounders but but so was Malachi Corley and in a real surprise Leonard Taylor.  Pretty wild.....

Hoping it works out!

We wont know for a few years.  I always think back to the F grade that Bleacher Report gave the Seahawks when they drafted russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner...that worked out ok, I think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Easily. Look at ALL the QB’s that were drafted high in round 1 over just the last 5 years and have been abominable busts. This kid has a 6th sense and can handle pressure.  The only question is if he can fully recover from his injury. I don’t think teams would have looked at him unless his recovery was optimistic. Worth the risk to take him in the 6th round. He has the luxury to sit back, heal, learn under a HOF QB. It’s a win, win. 

I think he naturally lost a good deal of weight after his injury but pre-injury was still on the lean side.

A couple of offseasons to beef up to take the hits and add some velocity on those throws will make a world of difference.

People are quick to dismiss but it's not like there's only been a few QBs who have been drafted in the mid-late rounds that turned out to be successes. The best thing is that he gets to sit for probably 2 years and during those 2 years we should draft another QB too. Keep the QB pipeline fresh.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Larz said:

The best thing that could possibly happen for him is to get a true redshirt year and not be active on gameday once. Just heal and learn. That would obviously mean Rodgers is healthy which is the goal of the entire franchise but the payoff down the road would be maximized 

They don’t draft him unless they are seriously considering him as an option. They have to pay him, train him, mold him. That’s a big investment. They obviously believe he can one day contribute. Rodgers is old and getting older. Taylor is on a 2 year deal. Time waits for no one. If he heals as expected, he’s ready to contribute after a couple years. No rush here. 

2 hours ago, usanyj said:

Top 15.....and comments on a "strong arm".... Well then!

15) Las Vegas Raiders: Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State

It’s hard to imagine this season going well for the Las Vegas Raiders, considering their overall roster, disastrous performance in close games in 2022, and new injury-prone quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. Finding a long-term answer has to become a priority if the Raiders don’t buck expectations. Our QB4, Florida State’s Jordan Travis, would be a fun replacement to add.

Week 11 College Football Team of the Week: Jordan Travis Nearly Perfect, Marvin Harrison Jr. Flashes Brilliance

Starting in Week 8 of 2022, Travis was the best quarterback in the nation. He’s a unique playmaker who is incredibly dangerous outside of the pocket. His strong arm, underrated mental processing ability, and accuracy all looked much improved as he gained confidence last season.

image.png

image.png

image.png

This is what real arm strength looks like:

image.gif.5c1504bdc351b814a9478c5e7b503c5d.gif

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Brady came into the league with an average arm.  First game he started in the Meadowlands he had problems skipping short throws to the outside.  He fixed his mechanics and body, gained more zip on the ball

Two things the Jets excel at? S&C and coaching quarterbacks. This kid will be fine

• Haha 3

RPO , better learn to slide fast. has a quick flick and is accurate.. never climbs a pocket, and backpedels too much.. keeps his eyes down field and has guts. not sure how he translates  but will be fun to watch

Tom Brady did not come into the league with a strong arm.  His dedication to having near-perfect mechanics is what strengthened it and also sped up his release.

Brady is responsible for deep dark depression periods in my life, but that guy had the perfect throwing form and I went out of my way to mimic his throwing motion when I played the position.

Regarding Jordan Travis: does he have a howitzer?  No.  Would I say he has arm strength similar arm to Mark Sanchez?  Yeah, and that’s more than enough.  GMs have become too enamored with having the next Josh Allen that they’ve forgotten that a guy like Brock Purdy probably would have been no lower than a mid 2nd rounder 15 years ago before the league started becoming overly enamored with the physical freaks like Cam (who is who really started this trend), Mahomes, Allen.  Jordan Travis, without the injury, probably deserved to go in the 2nd or 3rd.  He's the exact type of mid-round QB that I always want the Jets to take, but they pass on because they think they can mold someone like Bryce Petty into a FQB.

I’ve always believed that teams should start prepping for the future by developing a mid-round guy, who is a smart college QB, who has won a lot of games, can be a strong leader, and who has enough tools to make it in the pros.  Those are the guys who surprise.  The 49ers did just that and now look at what their ROI has been.  The position is cerebral.  I know this fanbase is scarred by Chad, but contrary to popular belief, most QBs can and do improve their physical tools quite a bit one they get mechanical coaching as well as a year or 2 in an NFL nutritional program.  

• Upvote 1