How much should Rodgers play in the pre-season?

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We saw what the Hackett playbook looks like both here and in Denver. Any success coming from this offense is going to be due to Aaron Rodgers running the Aaron Rodgers variant of whatever Hackett believes he is installing. 

FWIW - I don’t think there is anything gravely wrong with the playbook itself. The scheme/pkays are mostly fine.  He’s not a good play caller, but that isn’t as big of a deal with a QB who does what he wants at the LOS, regardless. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hackett called the red zone plays, but that was LaFleur’s offense, which looked pretty pretty good last year.

I wonder if it looked pretty good because he has a pretty good QB? How would it have looked with, say, Zach Wilson taking snaps? 

who has a better record - the 2023 Jets with Jordan Love at QB or the 2023 Packers with Zach Wilson?!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

While true, these days the coaching/staff veteran players put more stock into the scrimmages during the week than they do the actual preseason game.  Besides, they're not working that sh*t out in just a few series during the preseason.  

I dont really have an opinion on how much he should play, there is no right or wrong answer.  I'd just leave it up to him, he knows what he needs to be ready.  

Agree with all of this.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

FWIW - I don’t think there is anything gravely wrong with the playbook itself. The scheme/pkays are mostly fine

If you get a chance, watch JT O’Sullivan’s breakdown of Aaron’s preseason game against the Giants. It was miscues on almost every play, resulting in Aaron throwing off his back foot every time or getting run off his spot. He misses Cobb and Lazard(?) on miscommunications where Rodgers seems to be audibling but is the only one who seems to know it. O’Sullivans stresses how much of every play is just Rodgers changing sh*t up before the snap and the result is either a short completion under pressure or a wrong pattern being run and/or free runners coming on defense. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

who has a better record - the 2023 Jets with Jordan Love at QB or the 2023 Packers with Zach Wilson?

You don’t have to tell me that Zach sucks (it’s basically my life mantra). But, we’ve seen Hackett with a bunch of other non-Rodgers QBs now that have similar issues in terms of not knowing what the plays are supposed to be or how they’re supposed to be run. Messiness. Their only chance of success is if what’s inside Rodgers’ head gets consistently executed by the players around him and, as we saw in Green Bay, he doesn’t have a ton of interest in actually coaching his teammates up on the fly. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

While true, these days the coaching/staff veteran players put more stock into the scrimmages during the week than they do the actual preseason game.  Besides, they're not working that sh*t out in just a few series during the preseason.  

I dont really have an opinion on how much he should play, there is no right or wrong answer.  I'd just leave it up to him, he knows what he needs to be ready.  

I’m not worried bout Rodgers being ready. I’m worried about everyone else. I mean, *I’m* not worried, per se, but it’s the stated objective of the 2024 Jets to compete for a title with this slapdash make-it-up-on-the-fly approach. 

• Post of the Week 1

I'm fine with another 1 game.  I don't think this is as big of a deal as some others though.  Coming off the injury and being out as long as he has, it will be good for him to see game speed again before playing meaningful games.  You could potentially accomplish that with one game.  Maybe even just one quarter or half.

If he plays more than that I wouldn't complain, I just don't think I'd make that call.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not worried bout Rodgers being ready. I’m worried about everyone else. I mean, *I’m* not worried, per se, but it’s the stated objective of the 2024 Jets to compete for a title with this slapdash make-it-up-on-the-fly approach. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I saw that in theaters and remember being super triggered by it because I was forced to practice at receiver in high school despite the fact that I couldn’t catch the ball to save my life. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I saw that in theaters and remember being super triggered by it because I was forced to practice at receiver in high school despite the fact that I couldn’t catch the ball to save my life. 

I was triggered because I played receiver and they never threw the damn ball even though I caught everything.  I spent a lot of time hearing "Shut up, kid!"  from coaches.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was triggered because I played receiver and they never threw the damn ball even though I caught everything.  I spent a lot of time hearing "Shut up, kid!"  from coaches.

I was triggered because he wore those beautiful white shoes in the mud.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC last year when the Jets practiced against the Panthers and Brian Burns was humiliating Max Mitchell down after down, Saleh canceled the second day of practices because it was “raining.” 

Wait, Max Mitchell a scrub backup type OL coming off a slew of injuries, who the CS wasnt sure could get healthy enough for the 2023 season was getting beat by a pro bowl DL so that's why practices were cancelled?  

Screw the 90 players on the preseason roster, Max Mitchel was beaten. 

8 hours ago, slats said:

They have three new starters, not sure why you keep saying 3 or 4. They can also run the starting OL in the preseason with or without Rodgers, Wilson, and Breece at all if they like. I’m not too concerned about those three having it pretty much together without any preseason action at all. They’ll get plenty of live work against other teams in controlled joint practices. The preseason nowadays is little more than a money grab, something they acknowledged when they dropped a preseason game while adding a regular season game. They’ll do it again when they increase the season to 18 games sometime soon, leaving just two preseason money grabs. 

I keep saying 4 because it's likely that Schweitzer starts at RG to begin the season.  It's doubtful that AVT will be ready.  The OL needs to get used to the timing and cadence of the QB, it's different with every QB.  The Jets have 3 new OL, and I'm not sure how many snaps Schweitzer had with Rodgers last year in TC, so for all intents and purposes, the Jets will have 4 new OL that need to get used to working with Rodgers in game condictions, which are different than practices or even practices against other teams.

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ugh, yea, seriously. 

McVay has done this for years - you don’t think he has ever had new starters (including on the OL) to work into the mix during some of these preseasons? All of these coaches have new starters every year - including on the OL.

btw, while we’re talking about OL, I wouldn’t look for Mr. I have a bad back Tyron Smith to play much in the preseason, either.

It’s also amusing to see you categorically label this as a “need” as if you are reciting some self evident law of nature.   

Dude, you reasoning is laughable and totally backwards.  Yes, McVay has done it for years, that's why he doesn't need to do it now.  You're the one proving my point.  At any rate, I'm done with this.  We just disagree.  You can have the last word.

24 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I keep saying 4 because it's likely that Schweitzer starts at RG to begin the season.  It's doubtful that AVT will be ready.  The OL needs to get used to the timing and cadence of the QB, it's different with every QB.  The Jets have 3 new OL, and I'm not sure how many snaps Schweitzer had with Rodgers last year in TC, so for all intents and purposes, the Jets will have 4 new OL that need to get used to working with Rodgers in game condictions, which are different than practices or even practices against other teams.

It’s a long season. Even if the starters got a full game’s worth of reps over the entirety of the preseason (they won’t), that’s still only one game’s worth of live reps before the season starts. How much different would it be if they only got one half’s worth of reps? Or a quarter? The answer is: not much. They’re gonna work it out in camp, in joint practices, and again some in the preseason, but the majority of that work will be in the first couple of games of the season just like it is for every other NFL team. There’s only so much benefit to extended play in the preseason, especially if your opponent is playing their backups (which they will). 

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:30 AM, Bronx said:

All starters should play one quarter on the last pre-season game.  Unfortunately, we might be playing the Giants once again, which is absurd. 

You reckon? I think it's kinda nice for both teams to not have to travel the week before the season starts. It's the pre season lol, it's not like it matters for anything. Player health should take priority over scheduling variety. 

Others have said it, but I'll agree - I think a series or two in game 2, and the first quarter of game 3. More than that is too risky imo, less is not enough to have him up to speed. I'm ok with him being rusty week 1 as long as the team is up to speed by week 2 and he's not hurt 

On 5/25/2024 at 7:01 PM, Testaverde9819 said:

College football has existed for decades without a preseason. 

Mccay doesn't play his starters in the preseason 

I never said don't practice. But I'm not really into some 7th Rd guy on steroids trying to make a name for himself hitting my 

A lot of people hopped on this take, but I don't like it. College teams play spring football and scrimmages prior to the season. College kids don't really have an off season like pros do.

More importantly, as many here have disregarded, PRE SEASON IS FOR DETERMINING WHO MAKES THE ROSTER. Pre season is for the last 10 guys into.the squad to earn their spots. 90+ guys are vying for 53 spots. I'm perfectly fine with guys like Rodgers or Tyron Smith not playing a snap if that's what them and the team want, but don't act like the pre season should be abolished. That's when UDFAs and roster bubble guys get to prove they belong, and without it many great players may have never gotten their shot. I'll hear arguments starters should (or shouldn't) play in pre season, but it's not comparable to College roster formats where the team is pretty much set by scholarships well before the season starts 

(Testaverde - this is more @ people against the whole pre season than you, I know you only said starters)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

A lot of people hopped on this take, but I don't like it. College teams play spring football and scrimmages prior to the season. College kids don't really have an off season like pros do.

More importantly, as many here have disregarded, PRE SEASON IS FOR DETERMINING WHO MAKES THE ROSTER. Pre season is for the last 10 guys into.the squad to earn their spots. 90+ guys are vying for 53 spots. I'm perfectly fine with guys like Rodgers or Tyron Smith not playing a snap if that's what them and the team want, but don't act like the pre season should be abolished. That's when UDFAs and roster bubble guys get to prove they belong, and without it many great players may have never gotten their shot. I'll hear arguments starters should (or shouldn't) play in pre season, but it's not comparable to College roster formats where the team is pretty much set by scholarships well before the season starts 

(Testaverde - this is more @ people against the whole pre season than you, I know you only said starters)

this is probably the more rational approach, because as already stated guys like sauce and garrett Wilson are not trying to prove anything. it really even less than 10 spots truly up for grabs

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

It’s a long season. Even if the starters got a full game’s worth of reps over the entirety of the preseason (they won’t), that’s still only one game’s worth of live reps before the season starts. How much different would it be if they only got one half’s worth of reps? Or a quarter? The answer is: not much. They’re gonna work it out in camp, in joint practices, and again some in the preseason, but the majority of that work will be in the first couple of games of the season just like it is for every other NFL team. There’s only so much benefit to extended play in the preseason, especially if your opponent is playing their backups (which they will). 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.  We don't know for certain how much good it will or won't do, because no one does it, but I suspect that it would help a lot more than you and others think.  I think HCs and fans have basically convinced themselves of the negative viewpoint because they're afraid of a starter, especially their QB or a key player  getting hurt in a meaningless game or games.  Do you know why the Vince Lombardi Packers were so much better than other teams of their era?  It wasn't that they used a lot of trickery.  Opposing teams knew exactly what they were going to do, they just couldn't stop the Packers because the Packers out-executed them.  Well. imo, those extra plays/drives/quarters in preseason would help the Jets' offense develop that kind of precision and execution (it would be like 2-3 extra padded practices), and it could give them a real advantage over other teams who are struggling those first few games.

Think of what it might be like for the Jets to come out game one and completely dominate SF in SF, then blow out both Tennessee and NE.  In those last two games they could quite possibly wind up resting their starters the whole 4th Qtr. and get their backups some solid experience.  that would have them at 3-0 to start the season with some real momentum and their confidence riding high.

On 5/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, JKlecko said:

I totally disagree. One can't make decisions based on fear.  There's no way 1-2 series will be enough for Rodgers to knock off the rust and get the OL and the rest of the offense in sync with that little time.  If he only plays 1-2 series, then Jets could very well wind up 0-3 to begin the season.

Not true.

What are you talking about, it's called just not being stupid.

Rodgers has been the league forever what exactly do you think 1 or two more series is going to do lol.

Ridiculous.

The jets might be 3-0 neg nancy

PFT this morning saying the same things I’ve been saying… 

Jets plan joint practices before each preseason game

By Josh Alper

Published May 29, 2024 11:15 AM

The Jets are set to get a good deal of work in against opposing teams during training camp this summer. 

Head coach Robert Saleh said at a press conference on Wednesday that the team is planning to hold joint practices before all three of their preseason games this summer. 

The Jets host the Commanders on August 10 and they’ll travel to Carolina to face the Panthers for the second game, although the time and date for that contest have not been set yet. They will then be the designated home team for their annual summer matchup with the Giants on August 24 at MetLife Stadium. 

The details of the practice sessions have not been announced, but having the opportunity to work with other teams will likely impact the way the team deploys its players during the preseason games. 

On 5/27/2024 at 3:29 PM, JKlecko said:

The rest of the OL needs to get used to Rodgers' cadences and timing, and his audibling.  What Rodgers needs isn't the only consideration.

Agree, but this is one of those things that they can practice plenty while he's wearing a red jersey. It doesn't need to be against non-Jets opponents & they're working on & repeating these very things every day in practice (at least when they're doing 11-on-11 anyway). 

• Upvote 2

Zero. Any benefit does not outweigh the risk. You want him for as many snap as possible before you have to go to Tyrod. There's already a video of him limping.
Ivan Drago would have something to say about this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk