ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Zach has a live arm.  He’s insanely inaccurate, can’t read NFL defenses, blames teammates and coaches for his shortcomings, little to no dedication and zero pocket presence but he can let it rip in shorts and a tshirt inside a practice facility 

What is a live arm? Like what does that mean and why is it relevant? There aren’t any throws that Wilson made in NFL games that pretty much every NFl starter couldn’t make. 

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hope you're saying this because you don't like ZW, not because you actually believe it. 

I just named 10 quarterbacks who are starters who have better “arms.” Compared to other QBs in the league, it’s about average. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I just named 10 quarterbacks who are starters who have better “arms.” Compared to other QBs in the league, it’s about average. 

You’re just wrong about this. Zach sucks but arguing he doesn’t have high end arm talent just makes you look ridiculous.

Like if you think Russell Wilson has comparable arm talent you don’t know what “arm talent” means.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You’re just wrong about this. Zach sucks but arguing he doesn’t have high end arm talent just makes you look ridiculous.

Like if you think Russell Wilson has comparable arm talent you don’t know what “arm talent” means.

Show me any Zach throws in an actual game that identify as high end arm talent. There aren’t any. I mean right here a washed up Russ on the Broncos is throwing a dart against the grain 40 yards down the field. This throw is better than any Zach throw.

• Upvote 2

When we drafted Zach, he was very young with one good year behind him. He was never a captain of his football team, with rumors of his inability to win against stronger teams.
Joe Douglas took a chance, rolled the dice and came up snake eyes. Zach has all of the physical attributes you could want in a quarterback at this level. What he lacked most of all was what was between his ears.

If I might add The quarterback that we just drafted from FSU, may not have the strongest arm, what he does have is a great knowledge of the game and most importantly how to read defenses. I look for good things going forward and a quarterback, who with some luck may turn out to be our franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No it isn't.  Zach has an upper echelon arm.  One of the tops in the NFL.

https://sportsnaut.com/zach-wilson-achieves-69-mph-fastest-throw-for-qb/

The data and analytics company which has worked closely with the NFL since at least 2015, recently clocked Wilson throwing 69 mph during Jets training camp. It’s reportedly the fastest any QB has been measured to throw, in any setting, according to Next Gen Stats.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/nfl-insider-brian-baldinger-praises-new-york-jets-rookie-quarterback-zach-wilson-elite-arm-talent

"The first thing that jumps out in any game you watch is just elite arm talent," Baldinger explained. "I don't want to compare him to Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes because those guys are doing it, but you see that type of arm talent, you see a guy that can just put himself in any position and make these throws and it showed up in every game."

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/sean-payton-zach-wilson-first-impression-broncos-otas

"I like his experience," Payton said of Wilson on Thursday. "You can tell he’s played, and I feel like he has very live arm strength. He’s picking up the offense pretty quickly.”

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Show me his Jets plays that highlight unique arm strength. He has a regular NFL arm and averaged 6 YPA. He had like 4 touchdowns in 3 years that traveled over 10 yards in the air. 

YPA has nothing to do with arm strength. Nor does total TD passes.

Zach is a bad QB because of slow processing, indecisiveness, bad decision making, and poor accuracy. I’ve never seen or heard anyone in NFL circles question his arm strength. That’s a new one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No it isn't.  Zach has an upper echelon arm.  One of the tops in the NFL.

https://sportsnaut.com/zach-wilson-achieves-69-mph-fastest-throw-for-qb/

The data and analytics company which has worked closely with the NFL since at least 2015, recently clocked Wilson throwing 69 mph during Jets training camp. It’s reportedly the fastest any QB has been measured to throw, in any setting, according to Next Gen Stats.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/nfl-insider-brian-baldinger-praises-new-york-jets-rookie-quarterback-zach-wilson-elite-arm-talent

"The first thing that jumps out in any game you watch is just elite arm talent," Baldinger explained. "I don't want to compare him to Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes because those guys are doing it, but you see that type of arm talent, you see a guy that can just put himself in any position and make these throws and it showed up in every game."

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/sean-payton-zach-wilson-first-impression-broncos-otas

"I like his experience," Payton said of Wilson on Thursday. "You can tell he’s played, and I feel like he has very live arm strength. He’s picking up the offense pretty quickly.”

Where in the games does this exist? Can anyone provide examples of Zach’s arm talent in an actual game? Besides the bomb against the Titans which a bunch of other QBs can do. I can’t believe we still have people stanning Zach beacause of an arm we’ve seen look ok in shorts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Where in the games does this exist? Can anyone provide examples of Zach’s arm talent in an actual game? Besides the bomb against the Titans which a bunch of other QBs can do. I can’t believe we still have people stanning Zach beacause of an arm we’ve seen look ok in shorts.

What are you talking about?  He gunned most of his passes.  If anything, he needed to throw with more touch (at least on certain throws). 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Show me any Zach throws in an actual game that identify as high end arm talent. There aren’t any. I mean right here a washed up Russ on the Broncos is throwing a dart against the grain 40 yards down the field. This throw is better than any Zach throw.

ZWProDayThrow.gif.b2110e75afcdcdbb24d2eb72a1184667.gif

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

YPA has nothing to do with arm strength. Nor does total TD passes.

Zach is a bad QB because of slow processing, indecisiveness, bad decision making, and poor accuracy. I’ve never seen or heard anyone in NFL circles question his arm strength. That’s a new one. 

I don’t think I’m questioning his arm. It’s just not unique like Josh Allen’s or Mahomes. It’s a NFL arm. And over his career I don’t think there are any throws where you go wow, what an arm. If you can clip them I’d like to see it. And save me the Titans throw, as we’ve seen it 100 times and most NFL QBs can throw the bomb 60 yards.

on the road at a place where a big arm would help, here’s Zach throwing a deep out duck

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think I’m questioning his arm. It’s just not unique like Josh Allen’s or Mahomes. It’s a NFL arm. And over his career I don’t think there are any throws where you go wow, what an arm. If you can clip them I’d like to see it. And save me the Titans throw, as we’ve seen it 100 times and most NFL QBs can throw the bomb 60 yards.

on the road at a place where a big arm would help, here’s Zach throwing a deep out duck

Well, now you are moving the goal posts a little bit. You wrote yesterday that it was an "average" NFL arm and now you are talking about it not being "unique" - which is a little vague. I disagree with the statement that he hasn't made throws that made you go "wow, what an arm" - but I don't care enough to clip specific throws. I think there are numerous examples in any of his highlight packages on YouTube from any of his three seasons. 

Zach is widely regarded to have a very strong arm, and to me, that's the one positive thing he consistently showed during his tenure here. Basically, the only thing Zach is good at is throwing the ball really hard and fast directly at a non-moving target. Unfortunately, there is a lot more to a QB than throwing the ball hard. 

Serious question:  Is @TuscanyTile2 and his ilk gonna be simping for Zach for the rest of time? 

Will we be seeing "...but his elite arm talent..." posts five or eight years from now?  SMH.

He's not a Jet anymore mates, he failed here as bad as an NFL has ever failed.  Move on, for all our sakes.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

"Zach Wilson Did Not Have Good Time At Broncos Practice Tuesday"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zach-wilson-did-not-have-good-time-at-broncos-practice-tuesday/ar-BB1nHrDh?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=6d160b15163a4479b5974117b33ea417&ei=28

"Wilson looked "rattled" while getting the first team reps"

"...overthrew his receivers deep, underthrew his receivers in the short game and threw an easy interception."

Gee, that sounds awfully familiar.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, now you are moving the goal posts a little bit. You wrote yesterday that it was an "average" NFL arm and now you are talking about it not being "unique" - which is a little vague. I disagree with the statement that he hasn't made throws that made you go "wow, what an arm" - but I don't care enough to clip specific throws. I think there are numerous examples in any of his highlight packages on YouTube from any of his three seasons. 

Zach is widely regarded to have a very strong arm, and to me, that's the one positive thing he consistently showed during his tenure here. Basically, the only thing Zach is good at is throwing the ball really hard and fast directly at a non-moving target. Unfortunately, there is a lot more to a QB than throwing the ball hard. 

His arm is middle of the pack for NFL starting QBs. I don’t see that as being controversial. If you wanted to say it’s top 10 that’s fine- but what does that even mean? Nothing. It’s not anything we haven’t seen before. His arm alone won’t keep him in the league like it has for other journeymen.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Serious question:  Is @TuscanyTile2 and his ilk gonna be simping for Zach for the rest of time? 

Will we be seeing "...but his elite arm talent..." posts five or eight years from now?  SMH.

He's not a Jet anymore mates, he failed here as bad as an NFL has ever failed.  Move on, for all our sakes.

It’s the offseason. We still have debates about Sam Darnold, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, and even Chad Pennington from time to time. The frequency of these debates will tamper down over the years (like they have for the other QBs mentioned), but the Zach wound is still fresh. This is all part of the grieving process. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

It’s the offseason. We still have debates about Sam Darnold, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, and even Chad Pennington from time to time. The frequency of these debates will tamper down over the years (like they have for the other QBs mentioned), but the Zach wound is still fresh. This is all part of the grieving process. 

Grieve faster, lol.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Seriously, we don't need a new thread for every Zach Wilson practice blurb ffs.  Use the existing thread.

NO !  This community *must* be committed to keeping ZW on the front page.

If he ties his shoe laces, it warrants a new thread. 

Forget Aaron Rodgers.  This season is all about Zach Wilson. 

• Ugh 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

His arm is middle of the pack for NFL starting QBs. I don’t see that as being controversial. 

I don’t agree, but I don’t care enough to continue the discussion. I will tender my resignation here. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

but what does that even mean? Nothing. 

Agreed with this - and I’ll expand on that by saying that QB arm strength is the single most overrated attribute in sports lexicon. If you were drafted by an NFL team, you very likely have a strong enough arm to become a good (or even great) NFL QB. Most of what determines your career trajectory lies between your ears. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Grieve faster, lol.

Just not gonna happen. Especially if he sees any playing time in Denver. And, if the other extreme happens and he gets cut, that will spark more “is Zach the biggest bust ever”’debates. There is no escaping it, I’m afraid. 

Edited by slimjasi
  • Ugh 2

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hope you're saying this because you don't like ZW, not because you actually believe it. 

Jeff George’s arm > Zach’s arm and he sucked at QB as well. Byron Leftwich could throw a ball to Jupiter. Couldn’t play position consistently. Zach’s arm is the only positive he has so I understand the need for you to turn it into some sort of Unicorn, but it’s really not. Let’s say it’s above average but the rest of his game is way worst than his arm is special. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Jeff George’s arm > Zach’s arm and he sucked at QB as well. Byron Leftwich could throw a ball to Jupiter. Couldn’t play position consistently. Zach’s arm is the only positive he has so I understand the need for you to turn it into some sort of Unicorn, but it’s really not. Let’s say it’s above average but the rest of his game is the way worst than his arm is special. 

very much agree with the bolded

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Jeff George’s arm > Zach’s arm and he sucked at QB as well. Byron Leftwich could throw a ball to Jupiter. Couldn’t play position consistently. Zach’s arm is the only positive he has so I understand the need for you to turn it into some sort of Unicorn, but it’s really not. Let’s say it’s above average but the rest of his game is the way worst than his arm is special. 

Thank you for putting it better than I could. He doesn’t have some wizard arm strength.

• Upvote 2