Training camp updates: Lazard still stinks

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s a blister bud, it’s not even soreness.  It’s mild irritation that probably went away in 15 minutes after it was cleaned and cushioned by a mole bandage.

This would be fine to read if I didn't legit think Rodgers probably thinks that Big Rubbing Alcohol is hiding something in the wipes. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So like 50/50 shot Rodgers is trying to treat the blister with oregano oil and cayenne pepper right?

Liberal tears and a hair from T0m's left nut.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SpankyJohnson said:

Well since neither has ever had a real NFL QB throwing them the ball I wouldn't even count the NFL stats.  

Ruckert is definitely a great blocker.  I think most people sleep on him as a pass catcher.  He is above average as a pass catcher.   He had 54 receptions in college out of a possible 56 catchable passes.   He didn't have a bazillion yards due to the fact that a couple guys named Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave played next to him.  

I'd take Ruckert all day over Yeboah.  

yeah he can catch passes but doesnt get many yards. .

do you think Ruckert can split the seams like this and get a TD? i dont. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This would be fine to read if I didn't legit think Rodgers probably thinks that Big Rubbing Alcohol is hiding something in the wipes. 

IMG_7551.gif.89a35787785851cebe528dd9f30adc76.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1. So I guess we’re just gonna casually glance over AVT, huh?  A consensus player who, under no circumstances resembled an OT pick like, say, Becton and, when healthy, is a fantastic player.

2. Like, you guys do realize that the hardest thing that rookie offensive tackles have to adjust to is NFL speed rushers and NFL-caliber twitchy athletes because they aren’t simply going toe-to-toe with them on strength, right?  Pair that with the fact that Will McDonald is the definition of a speed rusher/twitchy athlete or the possibility that maybe he doesn’t suck like the same people here who wrote off Quinnen Williams after one season or think that Sauce Gardener isn’t great because he doesn’t record INTs, seem to believe?  Well that miiiiight explain why he got beat once or twice and maybe, just maybe, some fragile opinions rooted in implicit bias are wrong?  I don’t know, that’s just me thinking out loud.

By the way, the beat reporters only get access to one practice a week and during last week’s session he “looked the part” on the field so how about we hold off on labeling him the next Tony Mandarich because of 1 practice during his rookie year in May, which wasn’t even “the sky is falling” levels of horrific, yeah?

It’s easy to glance over AVT since he’s never on the field. 

He was also drafted as a guard and only played tackle because the guys JD drafted/signed to play tackle couldn’t. 

“He drafted one good olineman in five years. Checkmate, atheist”. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Troll said:

He was also drafted as a guard and only played tackle because the guys JD drafted/signed to play tackle couldn’t. 

AVT didn’t have an injury history in college so using his current injuries against the Jets for drafting him is ridiculous.  Players get hurt.  He’s still a fantastic player when he’s on the field and was a consensus top G in that draft class who is an absolute stud when he plays.

Furthermore, AVT played tackle because of an injury to players, particularly Duane Brown, who was an iron man before arriving here.  It had nothing to do with people he drafted or signed playing poorly.

In total, Douglas has drafted 3 first round offensive linemen:

The first one started out great, blew out his knee, and now he sucks.  That was a miss with Wirfs sitting there.

The second one is great (AVT.)

The 3rd is a rookie who was a blue chip LT prospect so if you’re going to use hindsight to criticize the GM for not taking a blue chip LT prospect in the past, it’s nothing short of hypocritical to scream to the high-heavens about how you don’t trust his decision making now that he’s drafted a blue chip LT prospect.  Especially when your criticism revolves around taking a risk on a different player to pass on the “safe” guy.  The Olu selection isn’t remotely close to being the same as passing on Wirfs for Becton mentioned above.  He was the polar opposite and was considered “high floor.”

If we’re going outside the first round:

Max Mitchell was a fine 4th round pick who, at worst, is a decent depth piece.  

Joe Tippmann had a great first year and may be our C of the future.  

Carter Warren is an unknown.

As of today, it appears that we have hit on 3 drafted lineman out of 7 gradable OL draft picks.  If you count Max Mitchell being a serviceable spot starter/backup as a 4th round pick, that would be 4 out of 7.  Personally, I’d say you’re better off not expecting more than that out of a 4th round pick, but I wouldn’t fight anyone who felt otherwise.  

Carter Warren is not someone I feel is gradable yet.

If Olu hits, the number goes up to 4/7 or 5/7, depending on your opinion of Mitchell.  

If you’re unhappy with the team’s results so far, that’s fine.  I’m not going to dispute that or even say that I am anything other than dissatisfied myself.  Douglas is what his record says he is at this point and you’re talking to someone who despised this draft class outside of the 1st round.  That being said, if you’re going to use past drafts push an absurd narrative that Fashanu is already a massive bust because of 2-3 reps during the second week of OTAs and moan about how the Jets blew the pick, then expect to be called out for it when none of it is rooted in fact.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

Because at 28, their career is trending downwards with quite a few miles on the tread. At 24, they are still at their peak.

and?   Why do I care if they trend down?  I'm not signing them.  Wring the juice out and move on.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

AVT didn’t have an injury history in college so using his current injuries against the Jets for drafting him is ridiculous.  Players get hurt.  He’s still a fantastic player when he’s on the field and was a consensus top G in that draft class who is an absolute stud when he plays.

Furthermore, AVT played tackle because of an injury to players, particularly Duane Brown, who was an iron man before arriving here.  It had nothing to do with people he drafted or signed playing poorly.

In total, Douglas has drafted 3 first round offensive linemen:

The first one started out great, blew out his knee, and now he sucks.  That was a miss with Wirfs sitting there.

The second one is great (AVT.)

The 3rd is a rookie who was a blue chip LT prospect so if you’re going to use hindsight to criticize the GM for not taking a blue chip LT prospect in the past, it’s nothing short of hypocritical to scream to the high-heavens about how you don’t trust his decision making now that he’s drafted a blue chip LT prospect.  Especially when your criticism revolves around taking a risk on a different player to pass on the “safe” guy.  The Olu selection isn’t remotely close to being the same as passing on Wirfs for Becton mentioned above.  He was the polar opposite and was considered “high floor.”

If we’re going outside the first round:

Max Mitchell was a fine 4th round pick who, at worst, is a decent depth piece.  

Joe Tippmann had a great first year and may be our C of the future.  

Carter Warren is an unknown.

As of today, it appears that we have hit on 3 drafted lineman out of 7 gradable OL draft picks.  If you count Max Mitchell being a serviceable spot starter/backup as a 4th round pick, that would be 4 out of 7.  Personally, I’d say you’re better off not expecting more than that out of a 4th round pick, but I wouldn’t fight anyone who felt otherwise.  

Carter Warren is not someone I feel is gradable yet.

If Olu hits, the number goes up to 4/7 or 5/7, depending on your opinion of Mitchell.  

If you’re unhappy with the team’s results so far, that’s fine.  I’m not going to dispute that or even say that I am anything other than dissatisfied myself.  Douglas is what his record says he is at this point and you’re talking to someone who despised this draft class outside of the 1st round.  That being said, if you’re going to use past drafts push an absurd narrative that Fashanu is already a massive bust because of 2-3 reps during the second week of OTAs and moan about how the Jets blew the pick, then expect to be called out for it when none of it is rooted in fact.

Not saying Fashanu is a bust, just that I don’t trust Joe Douglas to evaluate tackles. Three OTs went in the next 9 picks following Fashanu. Despite your pleas otherwise, this could absolutely end up another Becton/Wirfs situation. 

I’m no draftnic. It’s been years since I was into college football. But before the 2020 draft I said “I’m cool with whatever we do as long as we don’t draft that fat OT”.  Becton busting was very predictable based on his weight and relative inexperience. It’s wild to me that you could take pretty much anyone on this forum and make them GM, and they’d have likely done a better job over the last 13 years than the people actually running the team. But that’s a topic for another day. Hopefully a day that has passed already. Go Jets. Go Fasho. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Troll said:

***CONTAINS FACTUAL INACCURACIES***

I think it’s highly problematic that Douglas has been here for six years, has spent a ton of resources on OL, and the final, workable, presumably best result of that effort is two old veteran tackles on small, one-year deals, a free agent guard that the Ravens tossed, and two relatively super-high draft picks at center and guard. Not the ideal way to build an OL, especially when that’s supposed to be your niche as a talent evaluator. To counter @Mogglez, Becton didn’t flop because of injuries. Becton flopped because he’s a dog. Because Becton was a dog, it necessitated giving a shot Duane Brown $20 million dollars. He paid Connor McGovern and McGovern was roughly as good as Ryan Kalil. And he doesn’t get a pass on AVT because he traded up to draft a guard in the top ten* and that guard now has shoulder and knee issues and they have to decide on his $16 million dollar fifth year option after the season**, and he’s probably going to be a one-contract player here. 

*Top-14
**They already picked up the fifth year option

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Troll said:

Despite your pleas otherwise, this could absolutely end up another Becton/Wirfs situation. 

I think that situation was avoided when JD avoided Mims, the most Becton-like tackle in this year’s class. Instead, he drafted the Wirfs this time around; the even-keeled, steady performer. Fuaga might’ve fit that bill, too, but once again he was looking for a LT. While I was never the huge Brick fan that a lot of Jets fans are, I can’t complain too much about that comp. If Fashanu can be a reliable, solid pass protector and decent run blocker who can stay on the field, I’ll be happy enough with the pick. Fashanu has a lot more junk in the trunk than Brick ever did, too, giving me a little more hope. The fact that he’ll get plenty of practice reps backing up a future gold jacket doesn’t bother me, either. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

and?   Why do I care if they trend down?  I'm not signing them.  Wring the juice out and move on.

But a 24 year old RB in his final year is at his peak, a 28 year old is a couple of years removed from his peak.

4 hours ago, The Troll said:

Not saying Fashanu is a bust, just that I don’t trust Joe Douglas to evaluate tackles. Three OTs went in the next 9 picks following Fashanu. Despite your pleas otherwise, this could absolutely end up another Becton/Wirfs situation. 

I’m no draftnic. It’s been years since I was into college football. But before the 2020 draft I said “I’m cool with whatever we do as long as we don’t draft that fat OT”.  Becton busting was very predictable based on his weight and relative inexperience. It’s wild to me that you could take pretty much anyone on this forum and make them GM, and they’d have likely done a better job over the last 13 years than the people actually running the team. But that’s a topic for another day. Hopefully a day that has passed already. Go Jets. Go Fasho. 

It’s ok to assume Douglas picked the wrong one.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

Is it true he was getting beat up by a undrafted rookie? 
For now? Yes.

That undrafted rookie may fizzle out like most of them do. I'll take the long consistent performance over the flashy hot start in May OTA's any day of the week.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. Douglas deserves credit on this one for being pragmatic and not chasing the shiny object. At worst, Fashanu should be a solid player at a premium position for a long time

You would really hope so 

if Fashanu is not at least a decent pass protector, I honestly might just give up with this team. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If Bustin is so good why is going to get beaten out by a has been Russell Wilson?

Yeah, not a chance, I guess you havent been reading the reports. 

And just fyi, I booked mark this for when Justin wins a Super Bowl title and SB MVP, probably this year, maybe next year too but at least one of the next 2 years he'll win it.