Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tyler conklin had the 13 most yards of all tight ends in the league last year.  How can you be in the top half of all players at your position and be a JAG.

When you are the top half of what you do, you are not a JAG.

Jets fans dont understand what a JAG is.  Not surprising.

JAG means Just Another Guy.   Average.  You can be average and be "in the top half" at your position.  It's almost the definition.  I look at it as a replacement level player.  I think Conklin is slightly above that, but it is certainly within the realm of discussion.

• Upvote 1

lol you guys love hitting the Jets kool aid hard in June. 

Conklin is 100% a JAG, he’s as average as it gets. Which historically is all we need with Rodgers at QB. He’s not terrible, but you can do much better.

On 6/2/2024 at 2:30 PM, JKlecko said:

1. Hiring Saleh instead of Brian Daboll

i got news for you, Brian Daboll sucks.

last year the Giants were 29th in Yds and 30th in Pts. 18th and 15th the year before.

Saleh was 3rd in defense yds and 12th in pts given up. the year before he was 4th and 4th.

whatever side of the football your HC comes from you expect him to have your team playing really well there. 

Saleh has his defense as one of the best for 2 years. Daboll was middle of the pack in 2022 and one of the worst offenses in 2023.

i will take Saleh thank you. at least one side of the football will be really good. with Daboll both sides suck.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

People think jets have this crazy talented team. We have hall and wilson. Legit nothing else.

If you're talking about offense - then Yes. 

They seem to have two legitimate impact players along with a solid roster across the board, lacking any glaring holes.  That's the NFL - teams aren't loaded with top five, impact guys at every position.  Having two is a luxury as long as the rest of the team is solid.

The key is always going to the QB, unfortunately our QB is one of the weak spots.

• More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tyler conklin had the 13 most yards of all tight ends in the league last year.  How can you be in the top half of all players at your position and be a JAG.

When you are the top half of what you do, you are not a JAG.

Jets fans dont understand what a JAG is.  Not surprising.

You're like the 3rd person to celebrate this incredible achievement.  This amazing 13th overall yards feat that Tyler Conklin accomplished was a whopping 100 yards better (5.8 yards per game) than the 18th most yards per game in the league from a TE which is held by, Chigoziem Okonkwo.  I find this particular example interesting because you have never heard of him and he plays for the Titans who also had horrible QB play from a QB you've never heard of before, Will Levis.  Of his 54 catches, 25 went for first down, which is only 2 less then Conklin...biggest difference?  He scored a TD this season, which you may or may not know this, puts points on the board in favor of his team.  In fact, Chig, as they call him, has scored 3 times since the last time Tyler Conklin crossed the end zone.

4 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I agree if our definitions match up.  He’s a quality (average) starter.

I get your point on his first year starting but that was his first year starting.  It would have been fair to believe he had upside off that baseline.  I remember finding and posting a graph that showed that TEs peaked later and maintained that peak longer than WRs and other skill positions outside QB.

In any event, good discussion.  A JAG isn’t a bad thing.  We need them over TURDS, which is what out TEs typically have been for the past decade.  

It isnt a bad thing.   He's not hurting the team by an means, I'm not worried about the position or anything like that, I only made this point because someone called him underrated and I simply said that he was actually overrated around here, which by judging by all the defensiveness toward Conk, idk, seems to have played out as such in this thread alone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

JAG means Just Another Guy.   Average.  You can be average and be "in the top half" at your position.  It's almost the definition.  I look at it as a replacement level player.  I think Conklin is slightly above that, but it is certainly within the realm of discussion.

I dont even know what "in the top half of the league" means.  Because of yards?  

Hunter Henry is 22 and 23 in yards and catches for TE, that's bottom half?  Well.  He went 42 for 450.  Of those 42 catches, 29 went for first down. He caught 6 TD passes this season. He contributed 36 pts for his team this season.  Conklin provided 0 points and had less first downs.  The Patriots didnt exactly have good QB play.

Guys, a Jag is someone who you can pick up off the waiver wire during the season.  They are typically somewhere between the 80-100th best player at their position.  Conklin is very, very far from that.  He is a borderline top 10 player (prolly somewhere between 10-14).  Those type of guys are going to be net assets to your team, and will be very hard to replace if they go down with an injury.

He isn't flashy by any means, but he gets the job done quite well.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Hael said:

Guys, a Jag is someone who you can pick up off the waiver wire during the season.  They are typically somewhere between the 80-100th best player at their position.  Conklin is very, very far from that.  He is a borderline top 10 player (prolly somewhere between 10-14).  Those type of guys are going to be net assets to your team, and will be very hard to replace if they go down with an injury.

The dude is good to very good by most NFL standards, and combined with Ruckert's blocking and untapped receiving potential along with #3 TE and  ST's ace Yeboah we're pretty set at TE.  

From PFF Top 32 TE Rankings for 2024

21. TYLER CONKLIN, NEW YORK JETS

Conklin has emerged as a reliable target over the past few seasons, and he put up a career-high 622 yards in 2023. He’s caught 21 contested targets over the past two years, the second-most in the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

You're like the 3rd person to celebrate this incredible achievement.  This amazing 13th overall yards feat that Tyler Conklin accomplished was a whopping 100 yards better (5.8 yards per game) than the 18th most yards per game in the league from a TE which is held by, Chigoziem Okonkwo.  I find this particular example interesting because you have never heard of him and he plays for the Titans who also had horrible QB play from a QB you've never heard of before, Will Levis.  Of his 54 catches, 25 went for first down, which is only 2 less then Conklin...biggest difference?  He scored a TD this season, which you may or may not know this, puts points on the board in favor of his team.  In fact, Chig, as they call him, has scored 3 times since the last time Tyler Conklin crossed the end zone.

Conklin can't throw TDs to himself. 

Nervous Jets GIF by The Undroppables

Check.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Conklin can't throw TDs to himself. 

Nervous Jets GIF by The Undroppables

Check.

Right.  Zach Wilson sucks but Conky has had 5 different QB's throw him a Football since the last time he scored. 

Meanwhile, Hunter Henry scored 6 TD's w/ the a combo of Mac Jones and Bill Zappee.  Chig from the Titans scored w/ Will Levis throwing him the ball but sure, blame Zach for him being a JAG.

9 hours ago, Hael said:

No, that's called a waiver wire/practice squad level player.  A JAG has a career in the NFL by sticking around making rosters, sometimes a starter and just unspectacullarly does his job at an average level. Ya know, like Tyler Conklin, who hasnt scored a TD in 27 games, doesnt provide any yards after catch, runs 3 routes, doesnt convert 1st downs at a high rate and was one of the worst pass blocking TE's in the NFL.  Which I personally wouldnt define as "getting the job done quite" well but rather, just getting the job done.

And that's ok.  He's fine.  You need JAG's, every roster has them, they make up a large majority of the NFL.  Cant have superstars at every position. The Jets could do worse but they surely could do a lot better, which is the definition of a "just a guy."

He's in a contract year, has Rodgers, should be interesting to see how he shows up this year. I'd assume if he wants another decent contract, crossing the end zone will be important.

GW has led the team in receiving yards the last two years.

Conklin has been second in receiving yards the last two years.

NFL.com article listed him as their "most under appreciated player" on the Jets.

A FA signing who has actually lived up to his contract ... we don't say that very often!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

A JAG has a career in the NFL by sticking around making rosters, sometimes a starter and just unspectacullarly does his job at an average level. Ya know, like Tyler Conklin

I can see that it’s very important to you to refer to Conklin as a JAG, so you go right ahead. I wouldn’t use that label for a decent starting level player, though, which is what Conklin is. Personally, I’d save the JAG label for the guys two or three rungs down from him on the depth chart, but to each their own. This all just feels like a Bowers hangover, anyway. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

People think jets have this crazy talented team. We have hall and wilson. Legit nothing else.

Rodgers isn't good? The offensive line isn't good?

Rodgers is the best player on this team, Smith is 2nd.

Wilson has a ways to go before reaching that level. Hall is below Wilson.

41 minutes ago, slats said:

I can see that it’s very important to you to refer to Conklin as a JAG, so you go right ahead. I wouldn’t use that label for a decent starting level player, though, which is what Conklin is. Personally, I’d save the JAG label for the guys two or three rungs down from him on the depth chart, but to each their own. This all just feels like a Bowers hangover, anyway. 

Yes, I was thinking the same...

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Important?   Not really.  I'm having a conversation about a player on the NY Jets.  I've kindly and cordially been responding to the overwhelming amount of posters who had a problem w/ a simple and accurate label of a player you said was underrated.  In the spirit of a message board, all I did was disagree and share facts about why and say, idk, it seems like Jets fans overrate him because he's very average.  And by the looks of the responses, I'd argue that was a pretty accurate take regarding Jets fans perspective on the subject.

Look at your response here, buddy.  You're clearly offended by this take.  Not sure why.  My take is completely harmless and has nothing to do w/ not selecting Bowers, who hasnt been mentioned once until your post.  Maybe your nervous your hard stance against him will look silly?  I get it, I typically come out on top of the JiF vs. the board arguments, as you know all too well but I assure you, my assessment of Conklin's game is completely independent of a player who's never played a down in the NFL.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

It wasn’t, it was intended to dispute that he is not a JAG when he is the definition of one. 

TDS are directly connected to QB play.  JAG is way too strong, don’t agree.  
Nobody else seems to think he’s a JAG either.  

17 hours ago, BCJet said:

Conklin is the 19th highest paid TE and makes less money then Josh Oliver and Colby Parkinson (2 TEs Ive never even heard of) so him not having elite production isnt an issue.

He is an excellent blocker and route runner, so hes not the best after the catch - who cares.

The other thing is that anythign Conklin has accomplished as a Jet has been with league worst QB play.  In addition to winning games, I hope Rogers is healthy so that we can watch an offense that actually can get easy yards.  Conklin allowing us to really run block and the catch a 6 yard out from Rogers are plays that this team hasnt been able to execute in YEARS.  Hes going to be an excellent TE this year and help the offense quite a bit.

Tell Fudge, I’m the one saying the same things in Conklins defense while he’s calling Conklin a JAG

31 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Maybe your nervous your hard stance against him will look silly?

The entirety of my “hard stance,” was that Douglas would never draft an undersized TE who was either unwilling or not healthy enough to test athletically with a top ten pick, and I was correct. Nothing to be found silly about that. 

I just think you’re a bit on an island referring to an average level starter as a JAG, but that’s your business. I think of JAGs as being the bottom of the roster guys. It’s all good. Carry on. 

38 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Important?   Not really.  I'm having a conversation about a player on the NY Jets.  I've kindly and cordially been responding to the overwhelming amount of posters who had a problem w/ a simple and accurate label of a player you said was underrated.  In the spirit of a message board, all I did was disagree and share facts about why and say, idk, it seems like Jets fans overrate him because he's very average.  And by the looks of the responses, I'd argue that was a pretty accurate take regarding Jets fans perspective on the subject.

Look at your response here, buddy.  You're clearly offended by this take.  Not sure why.  My take is completely harmless and has nothing to do w/ not selecting Bowers, who hasnt been mentioned once until your post.  Maybe your nervous your hard stance against him will look silly?  I get it, I typically come out on top of the JiF vs. the board arguments, as you know all too well but I assure you, my assessment of Conklin's game is completely independent of a player who's never played a down in the NFL.

French Wine GIF by mylittleparis

7 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

If I may, looking at this objectively some of your "facts" seem to paint Conklin in a very bad light based solely on your opinions when if you compare his stats to other top TE's, beyond TD's scored, you will find a different story.

Conklin is not a top TE, I agree,  but I do think he falls somewhere in between a Top TE and JAG based on comparing his stats by using the metrics in the link below. Now if you were talking about Ruckert I would agree that he's a JAG at this stage of his career.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-te.php

But then again, that's just my opinion... 

12 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I dont even know what "in the top half of the league" means.  Because of yards?  

Hunter Henry is 22 and 23 in yards and catches for TE, that's bottom half?  Well.  He went 42 for 450.  Of those 42 catches, 29 went for first down. He caught 6 TD passes this season. He contributed 36 pts for his team this season.  Conklin provided 0 points and had less first downs.  The Patriots didnt exactly have good QB play.

I think it depends on your definition of JAG.  I provided mine and I think Conklin is on the high side of that.  By Hael's definition below, Conklin is certainly much better than a JAG and I think you, @JustInFudge would agree.  Conklin is what I would describe as "fine."  He is a solid starter and not a hole that has to be replaced.  With other weapons around him he will probably flourish.  Still, if I tell my wife she looks "fine" she is going back upstairs and changing again.

12 hours ago, Hael said:

10-14 seems kind of high to me and I am not particularly worried about replacing him if he goes down.  For instance, despite having drafting a 1st rounder as his replacement, I think they will suffer way more when Tyron Smith goes down.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Rodgers isn't good? The offensive line isn't good?

Rodgers is the best player on this team, Smith is 2nd.

Wilson has a ways to go before reaching that level. Hall is below Wilson.

Lmao can't wait for this team to win 8 games. 

• Thumb Down 2