Most Overrated Jets player

Most Overrated Jets Player  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do Jets fans overrate the most?

• Garrett Wilson
    • Sauce Gardner
    • Breece Hall
    • Tyler Conklin
    • AVT
    • Jermaine Johnson
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Quinnen Williams
    • CJ Mosley
    • Someone other than Tyler Conklin or the rest of these guys

My big fear is that the answer is Rodgers, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

CJ Mosely is probably the answer if we're viewing it through the lens of mainstream credit/respect he seems to get in the media and from players vs. what I see with my own two eyes.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

My big fear is that the answer is Rodgers, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

CJ Mosely is probably the answer if we're viewing it through the lens of mainstream credit/respect he seems to get in the media and from players vs. what I see with my own two eyes.

I don't want to look at it from the media or their peers' viewpoint. I want to look at it from the fans'. Every fanbase has a player or two that they think is way better than they actually are. Personally, I think both Rodgers and Mosley have enough detractors amongst the fanbase to not be considered overrated.

My vote is going to Garrett Wilson. I think Wilson is a very good player but most Jets fans think this guy is in the same conversation as Justin Jefferson or A.J. Brown. I dont think he's there yet. He's good, not great.

• Thumb Down 2

20 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I don't want to look at it from the media or their peers' viewpoint. I want to look at it from the fans'. Every fanbase has a player or two that they think is way better than they actually are. Personally, I think both Rodgers and Mosley have enough detractors amongst the fanbase to not be considered overrated.

My vote is going to Garrett Wilson. I think Wilson is a very good player but most Jets fans think this guy is in the same conversation as Justin Jefferson or A.J. Brown. I dont think he's there yet. He's good, not great.

Wrong, he is underrated as evidenced by your post 

• WTF? 1

26 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Yeah I'm the opposite -- I think Wilson has been fantastic and the numbers he's put up with pure trash at QB have been impressive. We won't know how good he can be until someone with a pulse is throwing him the ball but I think he has truly elite upside.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah I'm the opposite -- I think Wilson has been fantastic and the numbers he's put up with pure trash at QB have been impressive. We won't know how good he can be until someone with a pulse is throwing him the ball but I think he has truly elite upside.

He drops too many passes and he's fumbed 4 times in 2 years. We'll see how he does with Rodgers. I expect him to be vastly improved (all pro) and by no means am I down on him. I have his signed rookie card. Iove Wilson, but I think he's been anointed as great when he's not quite there. It's just an opinion 👍 I appreciate yours.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Bobby816 said:

AVT for me. If you're not available you have no value

He would have been my second choice. I need to see him have a full season of superior play before I say he's great. 

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He drops too many passes and he's fumbed 4 times in 2 years. We'll see how he does with Rodgers. I expect him to be vastly improved (all pro) and by no means am I down on him. I have his signed rookie card. Iove Wilson, but I think he's been anointed as great when he's not quite there. It's just an opinion 👍 I appreciate yours.

I get what you're saying with the drops/fumbles, although I think part of that is that he's trying to do too much because he knows he needs to turn something out of nothing.

He's had enough plays that looked like a two yard gain that he turned into 12 that I can deal with a fumble or two -- guy is dynamic with the ball in his hands. He's just a natural "playmaker" in a way I can't think of any other Jets receiver that I've seen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I get what you're saying with the drops/fumbles, although I think part of that is that he's trying to do too much because he knows he needs to turn something out of nothing.

He's had enough plays that looked like a two yard gain that he turned into 12 that I can deal with a fumble or two -- guy is dynamic with the ball in his hands. He's just a natural "playmaker" in a way I can't think of any other Jets receiver that I've seen.

Al Toon was an incredible WR with a shortened career. Even Keyshawn Johnson was a good player for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

CJ couldn't cover a TE if his life depended on it.  Raggedy Andy has been done for a while now.  Our DL and secondary cover his slowwwwwwwwwwwwnesssssssssssssssssss.

His drop rate is not bad at all when compared to his peers. 4.2% in 2023 and 3.4% in 2024. Where did this "drops too many passes" narrative come from?

wow... I thought my choice would be out on an island.  Instead it sides with the overwhelming majority in this poll.  It is very reassuring that what my eyes see on the field matches well what others see.  

Just now, Dcat said:

wow... I thought my choice would be out on an island.  Instead it sides with the overwhelming majority in this poll.  It is very reassuring that what my eyes see on the field matches well what others see.  

Do Jets fans really think Mosley is a top tier LB? I thought he was pretty much hated. 

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was the 4th-most targeted WR in the NFL last year and was in an 11-way tie for 11th-21st in # of drops. Among qualifiers, his drop rate wasn't in the top 100 highest in the NFL.

Among those with more receiving yards than Wilson's 1042 last year, 10 had a lower drops rate and 11 had a higher one. 

7 drops in 168 targets (4.2%) certainly isn't ideal but also it isn't as bad as you think it is, considering who's been delivering the ball (off target, too late, too hot for the distance, etc.) and the first month of the season being in the rain, with his rate lower the prior season (not in the top 100 highest drop rate that year either). We see all of them but only see an insignificant fraction of others' drops.

This past season Wilson's dropped passes rate was lower than:

1. Chris Olave
  2. Kyle Pitts
  3. Dalton Kincaid
  4. Calvin Ridley
  5. AJ Brown
  6. DeVonta Smith
  7. Davante Adams
  8. Christian Kirk
  9. Elijah Moore ;) 
  10. Mark Andrews
  11. Amon-Ra St. Brown
  12. Stefon Diggs
  13. Tyler Boyd
  14. Tee Higgins
  15. Mike Evans
  16. Adam Thielen
  17. Amari Cooper
  18. Travis Kelce
  19. DK Metcalf
  20. Tyreek Hill
  21. Puka Nacua
  22. David Njoku
  23. Courtland Sutton
  24. Noah Brown
  25. Michael Gallup
  26. George Kittle

and dozens of others, including at RB where they're typically catching 5 yard passes in the open backfield.

If you look at the prior year you'd add other names with a higher rate than his, like everyone on SF (Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, and McCaffrey), Ja'Marr Chase, DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, CeeDee Lamb, and many more.

Slam Dunk GIF by SLAMBALL on GIPHY

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was the 4th-most targeted WR in the NFL last year and was in an 11-way tie for 11th-21st in # of drops. Among qualifiers, his drop rate wasn't in the top 100 highest in the NFL.

Among those with more receiving yards than Wilson's 1042 last year, 10 had a lower drops rate and 11 had a higher one. 

7 drops in 168 targets (4.2%) certainly isn't ideal but also it isn't as bad as you think it is, considering who's been delivering the ball (off target, too late, too hot for the distance, etc.) and the first month of the season being in the rain, with his rate lower the prior season (not in the top 100 highest drop rate that year either). We see all of them but only see an insignificant fraction of others' drops.

This past season Wilson's dropped passes rate was lower than:

1. Chris Olave
  2. Kyle Pitts
  3. Dalton Kincaid
  4. Calvin Ridley
  5. AJ Brown
  6. DeVonta Smith
  7. Davante Adams
  8. Christian Kirk
  9. Elijah Moore ;) 
  10. Mark Andrews
  11. Amon-Ra St. Brown
  12. Stefon Diggs
  13. Tyler Boyd
  14. Tee Higgins
  15. Mike Evans
  16. Adam Thielen
  17. Amari Cooper
  18. Travis Kelce
  19. DK Metcalf
  20. Tyreek Hill
  21. Puka Nacua
  22. David Njoku
  23. Courtland Sutton
  24. Noah Brown
  25. Michael Gallup
  26. George Kittle

and dozens of others, including at RB where they're typically catching 5 yard passes in the open backfield.

If you look at the prior year you'd add other names with a higher rate than his, like everyone on SF (Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, and McCaffrey), Ja'Marr Chase, DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, CeeDee Lamb, and many more.

And how many on that list are considered better than Wilson? 

• WTF? 1

CJ Mosley was always going to be the answer here. I don't think he's overrated by Jets fans but clearly well regarded around the league and sports media. Like most Jets fans I find him frustrating to watch but his stats tell a different story. A lot of the frustration seems to come down to his compensation and his decision to skip the covid year. 

As usual, Jets fans hate their best players.  In the latest example, CJ Mosley, meanwhile they love the Jagy Jag Jag Jags like Conklin who is actually underrated and if Jeremy Ruckert just got a chance guys, wow, wow! 

• Upvote 4

Al Toon was an incredible WR with a shortened career. Even Keyshawn Johnson was a good player for the Jets.

Al Toon is well before my time.

Keyshawn was a very good player but never really had elite speed or top end playmaking material. Great size, great possession receiver, physical, great blocker. A "number 1" for his day, but I think GW has potential to be better.

There are a few others -- one year of elite Brandon Marshall was electric -- but GW has the potential to be a HOF caliber WR IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

CJ Mosley was always going to be the answer here. I don't think he's overrated by Jets fans but clearly well regarded around the league and sports media. Like most Jets fans I find him frustrating to watch but his stats tell a different story. A lot of the frustration seems to come down to his compensation and his decision to skip the covid year. 

The poll is "who do Jets fans overrate the most?" I will agree with you by saying Mosley was always going to be the answer because the collective reading comprehension on this board isn't the greatest 😄 

• Haha 1

*Long sigh*

Breece Hall.

He’s a phenomenal player.  He’s probably the only player I have ever screamed for and watched the Jets actually draft.  

He’s also a running back who will probably get tagged until the wheels fall off or traded.  

As great as Hall is, there is absolutely no RB who is irreplaceable.  Nick Chubb is far better than him and the Browns barely lost a step when he went down for the year.  

CJ will get the most votes, but it’s not even close when debating who the more important player is to their respective unit.  

Conklin is “rated”.  He’s a good TE who can put up solid numbers at worst, slightly above average numbers with the right QB at best, but he’s never going to be a Gronkowski “do it all” TE.  Only the looniest of Jets fans put him on that pedestal.

I’m ready for the sh*t-show these comments will cause.

6 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

As usual, Jets fans hate their best players.  In the latest example, CJ Mosley, meanwhile they love the Jagy Jag Jag Jags like Conklin who is actually underrated and if Jeremy Ruckert just got a chance guys, wow, wow! 

Yet somehow the members here think Jet fans overrate Mosley 😄

35 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've never really thought too much about it, but I suppose one might possibly consider CJ to just be a smidge overrated, if really forced to decide.

Especially if you take in his price tag. Good Gawd!