Florio: 🤣 SNY Hughes is Jets’ unofficial lackey / PR spin mouthpiece

Just now, Maxman said:

I think the call out time has passed. His job is on the line. 

Exactly. This kinda summarizes the whole thing. The 2024 results are his final exam, asking him why he's not better prepared before he takes it doesn't really mean much at this point. If the team doesn't win he'll be fired.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t get the purpose of carrying water for a GM with one of the worst winning percentages in league history. He let Huff leave and then traded for a player who will not report unless he gets a new contract. This is the mark of someone who’s not good at their job. 

He’s the new Manish

Just now, Matt39 said:

I don’t get the purpose of carrying water for a GM with one of the worst winning percentages in league history. He let Huff leave and then traded for a player who will not report unless he gets a new contract. This is the mark of someone who’s not good at their job. 

This has nothing to do with "carrying water" for Douglas, lol. It's about your notion that he should be more visible in June. What would that accomplish? Think about it.

Just now, bicketybam said:

This has nothing to do with "carrying water" for Douglas, lol. It's about your notion that he should be more visible in June. What would that accomplish? Think about it.

He’s never been visible at all. Is he the leader of the organization or not?

Just now, Matt39 said:

They should have rolled a long time ago. There haven’t been any turned corners in 6 years. Douglas and Salehs record against the AFC East is stunningly bad. 

Hey I am not going to defend any of it. Saleh is good at building a defense so all he has proven at this point is what we already knew, he is a good defensive coordinator. Douglas has showed draft glimpses but seems so stubborn.

Rodgers and this roster is his biggest gamble. They need to win the AFC East.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Exactly. This kinda summarizes the whole thing. The 2024 results are his final exam, asking him why he's not better prepared before he takes it doesn't really mean much at this point. If the team doesn't win he'll be fired.

I mean Douglas should be forced to explain the rationale behind trading for a player who wanted a new contract. It’s why the Eagles got rid of him.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean Douglas should be forced to explain the rationale behind trading for a player who wanted a new contract. It’s why the Eagles got rid of him.

Especially when he could have simply resigned the Edge we already had at less money than what Reddick wants

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's a fair question. I'd assume the answer is that Reddick has no real leverage and basically needs to play if he ever wants to see a long term deal -- and in the short term Reddick is a better player.

9 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Especially when he could have simply resigned the Edge we already had at less money than what Reddick wants

Well the logic to this point is pretty obvious. He's not going to pay Reddick.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is true though at this point he didn't have much of a choice. This is a "win now" roster and and he's in a "win or else" seat. He put himself in that position by missing on a few key draft picks (most notably, obviously, with Zach Wilson) so it's not absolving him but I think he probably did the best in the 2024 off-season that he could have all things considered.

Bombing the 2020 draft (and to a lesser extent the 2021 draft) undercut what was IMO a generally good process overall. If 2022 bombed he'd be gone already, instead the team is actually pretty good despite the miscues and now he needs to try to duct tape it all together.

Lombardi is a tough listen for me because he's such a Pats knob slobber but one thing that is good about him is that unlike most in the media he says exactly what he thinks and has no issue burying people or calling things out.

Right, but my point was that you could see how guys like Lombardi and Mueller would see through all the papering over that Douglas is now doing and be critical of it. It’s not good process and the chances of it working out are slim. End of the day, it’s a commentary on Woody Johnson throwing good money after bad.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but my point was that you could see how guys like Lombardi and Mueller would see through all the papering over that Douglas is now doing and be critical of it. It’s not good process and the chances of it working out are slim. End of the day, it’s a commentary on Woody Johnson throwing good money after bad.

Sure I guess. When I think “bad process” I’m thinking someone like Mike Macagnan drafting two safeties and 27 year old DTs from Fort Hayes State and never having any kind of discernible plan. Just not having any understanding of how to build an NFL team.

Douglas traded for Rodgers because he whiffed with Zach Wilson. He signed Tyron Smith because Becton cratered. He signed Mike Williams because Elijah Moore is a crackpot. I’d argue it’s less about “process” than mis calculating on high stakes bets and having no choice to fill the holes on your roster from those critical errors.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Joe Douglas feverishly trying to trade up for a player they had to draft (no matter what) and then said player ends up falling to them anyways. Great process Joe!

Happens all the time.  Sometimes you’ll give up a pick to insure you get the player you want.  So what, who during the draft, not months later is 100% sure how, it will unfold.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2024 at 11:27 AM, Matt39 said:

3rd round draft capital that can easily convert to 2nd round is no joke.

Especially if it’s for a 1y rental.

It’s arguably not worth it unless the Jets win it all.

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Sometimes it feels like the Jets do little to no research or homework on anything. This one is puzzling if it was actually thought through. The easiest answer is Douglas didn’t realize Reddicks desire for a new deal or he didn’t realize he was on his last year of his current deal.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2024 at 2:27 PM, Maxman said:

Hey I am not going to defend any of it. Saleh is good at building a defense so all he has proven at this point is what we already knew, he is a good defensive coordinator. Douglas has showed draft glimpses but seems so stubborn.

Rodgers and this roster is his biggest gamble. They need to win the AFC East.

This is the best team the Jets have constructed since 2010-2009 team and they have Aaron instead of Mark.

Not saying you will do this, but if they do make the playoffs this year but fail to make the Super Bowl, people will cite that this team was built for one year and look at JD's overall record.

Douglas has shown to be a GM that has learned from his mistakes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Don't let me spoil your tirade, but there's no way that Reddick will hit the playing time threshold for triggering the bump up to a 2nd round pick.  He needs to be in for 67.5% of the plays, and the ONLY Jets defensive lineman to play that many last year was Quinnen Williams at 68.5%.  That measurement is entirely in the Jets control and they won't allow that to happen.  Reddick won't care, because the trigger benefits the Eagles and not him.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Florio clearly trying to stir the pot again here.....

I get that Florio is trolling here, but if a person from the future came back in a time machine and told you that he 2024 Jets either finished 13-4 *or* 7-10, and he’ll give you a million dollars in surefire crypto tips if you pick the right record, which one are you going with? If you lose the bet, he takes your pinkie. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get that Florio is trolling here, but if a person from the future came back in a time machine and told you that he 2024 Jets either finished 13-4 *or* 7-10, and he’ll give you a million dollars in surefire crypto tips if you pick the right record, which one are you going with? If you lose the bet, he takes your pinkie. 

No genie this time?

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i would pick 13-4. why?

its not that i have fate in the Jets. even if Rodgers plays all 17 games 13-4 is really hard to do. but this is a trick question.

because 90% of this board or anybody else would pick 7-10. it just seems too easy. when something seems too good to be true it usually is.

i bet that guy has a pinkie fetish and he wants those pinkies. there is going to be a lot of 9 finger guys on this board.

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2024 at 9:06 AM, mrcoops said:

Hughes may well be the Jets' go-to reporter for a team-friendly line, but Florio is also a known Jets-hater and Pats* lover.

He is also a lawyer by trade, which explains his frequent, and often very dull, lengthy essays on legal stuff related to the game that no-one wants ro read.

Florio is not a Pats lover - he's a Vikings fan, which is why he hates Aaron Rodgers. Geez. ;) Let's not lose sight of the fact that Hughes is also a self serving beeotch.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2024 at 12:50 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jets-leak-unconvincing-explanation-for-aaron-rodgerss-mandatory-minicamp-absence

Jets leak unconvincing explanation for Aaron Rodgers’s mandatory minicamp absence

Published June 12, 2024 12:35 PM

Most teams have one or more reporters to whom they will leak self-serving explanations, whenever something controversial happens. For the Jets, one of those reporters seems to be, in my opinion, Connor Hughes of SNY.

It was Hughes who, for example, pushed the team’s narrative (albeit somewhat factually inaccurate) after Colleen Wolfe of NFL Network reported/suggested/whatever that someone witnessed an awkward and heated conversation between Jets owner Woody Johnson and Jets coach Robert Saleh at the league meetings in March. It’s Hughes who has interjected the notion that the Jets had an understanding with defensive end Haason Reddick before trading for him, and that they thought Reddick was on board with it.

And it’s Hughes who is providing a detailed explanation for the Aaron Rodgers absence from mandatory minicamp. Here’s his nothing-to-see-here post on X from this morning: “Aaron Rodgers planned this trip when he was still rehabbing. The Jets have known about it from the moment there was an overlap with the release of the minicamp schedule. Rodgers is ‘unexcused’ because you can’t excuse a trip, but not a contract dispute (Haason Reddick). Semantics, but there’s no unrest inside the building. The Jets don’t think it’s a big deal, not sure why the world is reacting differently. Rodgers missing these two days (after being at every voluntary workout the last two years) will have zero impact on what the [Jets]/Rodgers accomplish this coming season.”

The Jets might think this makes things better. It doesn’t. The version that was spoon-fed to Hughes proves what a failure of P.R. and strategic planning this was.

First, if it was known for months that Rodgers was planning a trip that might conflict with mandatory minicamp, why didn’t anyone breathe a word of it before the first day of mandatory minicamp? They should have looked at the calendar and picked the date on which Hughes or someone else would have been told that Rodgers won’t be present for mandatory minicamp.

Second, WHY DIDN’T THEY DO MANDATORY MINICAMP LAST WEEK? Sorry to scream at your eyeballs, but the Jets could have/should have worked with Rodgers to ensure that they scheduled the mandatory minicamp when he could attend. If, in the end, it was impossible to do that, that’s when they should have leaked the story that Rodgers wouldn’t be present for mandatory minicamp.

Third, players with other teams are routinely excused from mandatory minicamps. Three Packers have been excused this week. The Seahawks have excused their punter, who is getting married. Several Jaguars are excused. The Steelers excused running back Najee Harris on Tuesday.

I went down that CBA rabbit hole last night. While discipline imposed by a given team on its players must be uniform, discipline in this context isn’t even relevant unless the absence is unexcused. And if other teams are seeing fit to excuse the absence of plenty of other players not named Aaron Rodgers, the Jets easily could have excused their franchise quarterback.

This could be an example of overzealous lawyering, where someone with a J.D. laid out the well, actually argument that excusing Rodgers could make it harder to fine future players who skip mandatory minicamp. And that’s why there are moments when the executives need to thank the lawyers for their input — and then ignore it entirely.

Ultimately, the situation proves yet again one of my favorite sayings, coined by Big Cat of Pardon My Take: “Dysfunctional teams do dysfunctional things.”

In this case, the Jets dysfunctioned up the whole thing.

Given that Rodgers has previously chastised the organization for the “chickensh*t” habit of the Jets leaking negative information about players to the media, it’ll be very interesting to see what he has to say about this one.

Florio is a sniveling scumbag, and is exactly an example where the media tries to make themselves the story.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, T0mShane said:

56a3b3a6-ea8a-4e98-83e9-f247c39d5a79_text.gif.36e13bd4fb59ab3f31ef0d30c167690c.gif

On 6/24/2024 at 2:49 PM, Claymation said:

This is the best team the Jets have constructed since 2010-2009 team and they have Aaron instead of Mark.

Not saying you will do this, but if they do make the playoffs this year but fail to make the Super Bowl, people will cite that this team was built for one year and look at JD's overall record.

Douglas has shown to be a GM that has learned from his mistakes.

Yeah but Mark actually played

On 6/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, Matt39 said:

Sometimes it feels like the Jets do little to no research or homework on anything. This one is puzzling if it was actually thought through. The easiest answer is Douglas didn’t realize Reddicks desire for a new deal or he didn’t realize he was on his last year of his current deal.

Or he’s just waiting him out.  Nah, it’s the Jets, can’t be that simple.  

On 6/25/2024 at 6:02 PM, JetsRay said:

Florio is a sniveling scumbag, and is exactly an example where the media tries to make themselves the story.

There’s a Rodgers hate and throw in NY hate and this is the nonsense you get.  No one said boo when Brady sat out the entire optional portion of the summer but with Rodgers taking 2 days while attending all the Jet OTAs leads to the sky is falling here

• Sympathy 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:44 PM, T0mShane said:

I respect the fandom of any Jets fan with the gumption to say 13-4 with a straight face.

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2024 at 6:44 PM, T0mShane said:

Classic movie!

the-time-machine-1960.jpg

• Upvote 1