Seems like it's been a LONG time, since Joe Douglas has spoken to the NY media.

Just now, bicketybam said:

Does anyone know what Joe had for breakfast? How was his morning constitutional? I need to know!

Bacon egg and cheese and on everything bagel.

And after his 3rd cup, he meanders towards the executive bathroom as he sings take a load off my shoulders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Was about to ask this. There's nothing to discuss at this point. 

It's now on Saleh with practices. 

Personally, I think he should have a press conference at every practice and explain, in detail, why something they're practicing, isnt going well because that's what the good, public figure, GM's do!!!! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I think we're talking about how a back office employee for a privately owned corporation isnt a "public figure"....like 100% guaranteed, less than 2% of the population knows who Joe Douglas is, which by definition, does not make him a "public figure".  He didnt get his position from fame and popularity, you had no clue who he was before he accepted this position.

If we had a little contest of how many GM's in the NFL you could name, how many do you think you'd get right?

Joe Douglas is beholden to the shareholders of the NYJ, namely in the largest part, the Johnson family.  The Jets are a private business with no public serving function (other than to torture their faithful). 

In the job of GM, there are some public facing responsibilities that the NFL required of the position, which they stringently outline. Though, the NFL does not limit access.

Would it be nice and fan appeasing if an NFL GM spoke more? I guess. Not sure what we would learn. Bellispeak has become the norm for GM's these days, and serves little enlightenment or satisfaction for the fervent fan.

Public figure? Hardly. Only to the most delusional fan 

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Bacon egg and cheese and on everything bagel.

And after his 3rd cup, he meanders towards the executive bathroom as he sings take a load off my shoulders.

excellent choice on the breakfast sandwich!

Mcgriddle is close though - have not had one in about 10 years but whoever came up with that idea is a genius  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Joe Douglas is beholden to the shareholders of the NYJ, namely in the largest part, the Johnson family.  The Jets are a private business with no public serving function (other than to torture their faithful). 

In the job of GM, there are some public facing responsibilities that the NFL required of the position, which they stringently outline. Though, the NFL does not limit access.

Would it be nice and fan appeasing if an NFL GM spoke more? I guess. Not sure what we would learn. Bellispeak has become the norm for GM's these days, and serves little enlightenment or satisfaction for the fervent fan.

If an NFL GM has "public facing responsibilities" (by your own admission) that require you to speak to the team's fanbase (the team's fanbase is part of the general public, the last time I checked) through the media - Please explain to me @Scott Dierking how you are not a public figure, in some capacity?

Is he accountable to the fans - technically no, because he isn't paid by the fans and the fans can't terminate his employment per say - but, he will inevitably have to answer questions, about the roster decisions he's made, when signing, drafting or cutting players.

Does he have a public obligation & responsibility, to speak to the fanbase though the media?

Yes, he absolutely does.

Hence why he is a public figure, on some level.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Whenever Matt gets so engrossed with a topic, whether it's Zach Wilson's ties to JetBlue, his off season residence or Reddick's contract status, I can't help but think of Rain Man.

e9aa222f-e830-4d6e-a494-c0389fa1dbf4_text.gif

i always wonder if he is married and if yes and he does this to his wife during a discussion, then he has definatly had a kitchen appliance or two thrown at him.

and i am in the camp of finding most of matt's posts entertaining in a strange kind of way. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

If an NFL GM has  public facing responsibilities (by your own admission) that require you to speak to the fanbase (which are the general public by the way) through the media please explain to me @Scott Dierking how you are not a public figure ins some capacity?

By the Supreme Court definition, I guess. 

It can be loosely interpreted in other ways, but the Jets are a private organization and conduct their business based upon the whim of their own goals without being beholden to any public scrutiny or servitude. 

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

i always wonder if he is married and if yes and he does this to his wife during a discussion, then he has definatly had a kitchen appliance or two thrown at him.

and i am in the camp of finding most of matt's posts entertaining in a strange kind of way. 

IMG_1234.webp

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The fact that NFL GM's are mandated by the NFL's media access policy, to speak to the media at least twice a year, doesn't support that statement.

Seems to me the that proves the polar opposite:

“The fact that NFL GMs are mandated by the NFL’s media access policy” suggests far more that the NFL felt they had to mandate this, otherwise [some or many or most] GMs wouldn’t otherwise address the media on their own.

Personally I don’t really care. I get that he’d probably prefer to wait until the Reddick situation has been resolved, rather than field question after question on it to make the negotiation only more difficult.

When there are updates I’ll watch (or more likely read a summary of) it because he’s the team’s GM, but really it doesn’t matter. It seems unlikely he’d say anything of substance in terms of future plans. He’ll say they drafted/acquired certain players because they like him; he’s not going to badmouth players he traded away or let go because no one does that; and he’s not going to list FAs he’s thinking of bringing in either.

Really right now the next GM news would be when there’s a major transaction or injury. He’s not running the practices, though, so I don’t know what we’re really missing other than a play-by-play of a Reddick negotiation that can do nothing but do harm to those talk progressions. The last time he did that a year & a half ago I thought it was dumbass-stupid, which is when he announced they’re trading for Rodgers before it actually happened, and probably harmed his own negotiating position in doing so, to the point it took another month & a half for the trade to happen.

Until Reddick is in camp & participating, the GM shutting his pie hole is the right move.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, we know adept Saleh is in press conference and how much joy and enligtenment he brings, so maybe folks just want the same from JD.  I get it.  I really do! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

No Matt, he is NOT a public figure. Front-facing personnel decisions? Huh? Should we the fans have a vote in terms of what decisions he makes? He is accountable to one person only. The person that pays his salary. 

You truly have some twisted concepts.

Who’s in charge of the Jets?

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seems to me the that proves the polar opposite:

“The fact that NFL GMs are mandated by the NFL’s media access policy” suggests far more that the NFL felt they had to mandate this, otherwise [some or many or most] GMs wouldn’t otherwise address the media on their own.

Personally I don’t really care. I get that he’d probably prefer to wait until the Reddick situation has been resolved, rather than field question after question on it to make the negotiation only more difficult.

When there are updates I’ll watch (or more likely read a summary of) it because he’s the team’s GM, but really it doesn’t matter. It seems unlikely he’d say anything of substance in terms of future plans. He’ll say they drafted/acquired certain players because they like him; he’s not going to badmouth players he traded away or let go because no one does that; and he’s not going to list FAs he’s thinking of bringing in either.

Really right now the next GM news would be when there’s a major transaction or injury. He’s not running the practices, though, so I don’t know what we’re really missing other than a play-by-play of a Reddick negotiation that can do nothing but do harm to those talk progressions. The last time he did that a year & a half ago I thought it was dumbass-stupid, which is when he announced they’re trading for Rodgers before it actually happened, and probably harmed his own negotiating position in doing so, to the point it took another month & a half for the trade to happen.

Until Reddick is in camp & participating, the GM shutting his pie hole is the right move.

What I bolded above is what I'm specifically addressing.

That's a big assumption your part and there aren't any facts here to support that.

To state or to suggest that you know, what the NFL felt, implies that you have direct knowledge of the intent behind NFL's media access policy and the exact thought process & purpose behind it.

That's a pretty big reach.

I agree with you more often than not @Sperm Edwards but we interpret this quite differently.

In the end, it's really irrelevant.

It doesn't really matter why it's a requirement, the fact that it is a requirement, is what's relevant.

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Take might want to take a look at the date on that video @batman10023 it's over 4 months old and I'm fairly certain, that's the last time that Douglas has spoken to the media.

The video that @Matt39 posted of the Lins GM calling in, was during the Lions first padded practice of this year's training camp.

Big difference and you have the audacity to call other people blind?? 🙄

my point was that he does speak with the media which was what Matt was saying he doesn't do.

matt wants people to believe that JD is just coasting and not doing any due dilligence on trades.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The guy who makes personell decisions should be more front facing. He’s a public figure.  It’s accountability. Losing and hiding is always going  to be criticized.

outside of the QB (zach) has he put together a good roster?  i asuke you before but not sure if you answered the question

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

outside of the QB (zach) has he put together a good roster?  i asuke you before but not sure if you answered the question

I think being so far in, and signing guys to 1 year contracts to fill holes he’s missed on- no not really. I don’t think he’s built a good roster long term. 

40 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

my point was that he does speak with the media which was what Matt was saying he doesn't do.

matt wants people to believe that JD is just coasting and not doing any due dilligence on trades.

My point is, 4 + months is a long time to be radio silent.

• Upvote 1

You will get the annual dose of pablum at one of the preseason telecasts. He isn't going to tell you anything then, nor to any beat guy or gal, nor any national reporter. At a loss you think they tell you anything. Either Reddick gets signed, or traded or holds out. Or he makes a trade for Devante Adams or signs David Bakuatairi, or he doesn't. The cake is already baked any which  way you look at it. What would you expect him to say? I f___ed up drafting Zach Wilson and Big Bust? The Huff thing is a disaster? Aaron Rodgers is pretty much running the show and I'm an errand boy sent by grocery clerks? He's gonna break down the 53rd roster spot for 3rd safety or floating OL guy to Ian Eagle and Greg Buttle on TV. That's what you'll get.

Point of comparison; Giants are not enjoying this ""Hard Knocks" thing at all. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The guy who makes personell decisions should be more front facing. He’s a public figure.  It’s accountability. Losing and hiding is always going  to be criticized.
Do you reckon you'll get accountability at a press conference?

"We feel really good about where we are" ... "really pleased with the guys we've been able to bring in" ... "looking forward to a great season".

Yawn. Heard it all before.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think being so far in, and signing guys to 1 year contracts to fill holes he’s missed on- no not really. I don’t think he’s built a good roster long term. 

Send Woody your resume along with a link to this site and your posts apply for the job. 

• Haha 2

What do we need or want to hear from JD?

Some platitudes, PR and the usual hot air type stuff?  He's not going to say anything meaningful, we all know that.

He's a GM with a 27-56 record on the last season of his contract. 

The only place JD needs to be 'talking' at this point is via the team he's assembled for 2024, on the field, and in the W/L sheet.

Any other talk (to use a cliche) would be cheap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It takes 5 seconds to google an nfl team and the first video that typically pops up is their GM talking at camp

And in no way does who spoke at camp tell you how many times a particular GM speaks to the fan base.  Open your mind, a GM can speak more times over the course a season without having said a word after a week of training camp.  There are also lots of reasons why you need to speak or not.  GMs aren’t there for a handful of needy fans who need to hear that things are great

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do we need or want to hear from JD?

Some platitudes, PR and the usual hot air type stuff?  He's not going to say anything meaningful, we all know that.

He's a GM with a 27-56 record on the last season of his contract. 

The only place JD needs to be 'talking' at this point is via the team he's assembled for 2024, on the field, and in the W/L sheet.

Any other talk (to use a cliche) would be cheap.

He picked a horrible qb that he tried to hide last season but couldn’t and now he’s praying rodgers stays healthy.  He’s made some good picks and some bad ones but ultimately gms are judged by the qbs they pick as that usually translates to wins.  Just today elway was lamenting taking chubb over josh allen, that’s how you mess up and chubb is a great player.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And in no way does who spoke at camp tell you how many times a particular GM speaks to the fan base.  Open your mind, a GM can speak more times over the course a season without having said a word after a week of training camp.  There are also lots of reasons why you need to speak or not.  GMs aren’t there for a handful of needy fans who need to hear that things are great

Here’s to Joe Douglas winning games my friend 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He picked a horrible qb that he tried to hide last season but couldn’t and now he’s praying rodgers stays healthy.  He’s made some good picks and some bad ones but ultimately gms are judged by the qbs they pick as that usually translates to wins.  Just today elway was lamenting taking chubb over josh allen, that’s how you mess up and chubb is a great player.  

He’s failed at his role of building a competitive team. Taking supplemental criticism to the W/L record comes with the job. The defensiveness over this is frankly a little curious. Saying Douglas isn’t a public presence when he’s decision maker for a professional franchise in NYC is one of the oddest things I’ve ever heard here. Any pro sports forum will talk about the general manager and the coach’s decision making. 

• WTF? 1

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The best, young gm in the league will speak when he wants and you will like it!

what is his name? it cant be the guy that is about 30 games under 500

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What I bolded above is what I'm specifically addressing.

That's a big assumption your part and there aren't any facts here to support that.

To state or to suggest that you know, what the NFL felt, implies that you have direct knowledge of the intent behind NFL's media access policy and the exact thought process & purpose behind it.

That's a pretty big reach.

I agree with you more often than not @Sperm Edwards but we interpret this quite differently.

In the end, it's really irrelevant.

It doesn't really matter why it's a requirement, the fact that it is a requirement, is what's relevant.

Why would they need to mandate something in writing if everyone's already doing it?