Be ready for a new regime in 2025

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Full year of competent QB play? Here? On the Jets? Before flying cars? You’re a madman! 

Tyrod is competent. It would take a double-tap situation like Pennington and Fiedler going down within 5 minutes of each other… oh, you’re right. We are ****ed.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

Tyrod is competent. It would take a double-tap situation like Pennington and Fiedler going down within 5 minutes of each other… oh, you’re right. We are ****ed.

We are a playoff team if Rodgers doesn't miss more than one game at a time, because Tyrod is a very solid albeit delicate back up. Like you said, if we get the bang bang and gone deal we back in purgatory. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I would like to see what Saleh can do with a QB who is considered one of the best of the era.   If he doesn't make the playoffs will he every be an NFL HC in the future?   There are plenty of SB winners that didn't have a first ballot HOF QB.

If Jets flame out this season and Saleh canned, he’ll have to do a Raheem Morris and go re-make his bones as a coordinator before getting another shot. I do think he’d make it again — his defense has been great here and he’s pretty well liked. This isn’t a Gase situation. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We are a playoff team if Rodgers doesn't miss more than one game at a time, because Tyrod is a very solid albeit delicate back up. Like you said, if we get the bang bang and gone deal we back in purgatory. 

Yep, that’s what some fans never understood last off season when resisting the suggestion Jets being in a credible backup. Tyrod is not Rodgers season-ending injury insurance, he’s dinged-up and needs to miss a game here or there insurance.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Jets flame out this season and Saleh canned, he’ll have to do a Raheem Morris and go re-make his bones as a coordinator before getting another shot. I do think he’d make it again — his defense has been great here and he’s pretty well liked. This isn’t a Gase situation. 

The Jets seem so cut off from the rest of the league it’s tough to get a read on this. I’m sure he could land the Niners DC gig again, but league wide I really don’t have a feel for how they view the Jets staff. Rex Hogan I don’t believe was ever hired anywhere. Maccagnan never made it back into the league I don’t think. The one guy got poached by the Chargers, but that was in essence a lateral move. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep, that’s what some fans never understood last off season when resisting the suggestion Jets being in a credible backup. Tyrod is not Rodgers season-ending injury insurance, he’s dinged-up and needs to miss a game here or there insurance.

Yep, like those goofy little wheels you can put on your car to get home after a flat but your not taking the family across country on it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets seem so cut off from the rest of the league it’s tough to get a read on this. I’m sure he could land the Niners DC gig again, but league wide I really don’t have a feel for how they view the Jets staff. Rex Hogan I don’t believe was ever hired anywhere. Maccagnan never made it back into the league I don’t think. The one guy got poached by the Chargers, but that was in essence a lateral move. 

You know what coaches call getting poached from the Jets for a lateral move?

A promotion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, like those goofy little wheels you can put on your car to get home after a flat but your not taking the family across country on it. 

How can you of all people not know the name for those wheels is “a donut?”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jgb said:

How can you of all people not know the same for those wheels is “a donut?”

Because if I type or say it I have to go to the grocery store across from the clinic and tackle then obliterate there Crispy Cream kiosk. Promised Mrs Crusher no more grocery store cease and assist orders this year. Things we do for love Johnny, things we do for love. its a trigger. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hard to know.  Gase had a much worse roster and it's likely that they don't draft Zach and trade out of the 2nd.   Gase actually made the playoffs in his first year with the Dolphins with a team that hadn't been to the playoffs the previous 7 years.  

Gase obviously coached himself out of the league.  There is no real indication that Saleh won't do the same thing.  

It's pretty weird to have a GM and HC coaching on the final year of their contracts.  It's pretty unusual. 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Hard to know.  Gase had a much worse roster and it's likely that they don't draft Zach and trade out of the 2nd.   Gase actually made the playoffs in his first year with the Dolphins with a team that hadn't been to the playoffs the previous 7 years.  

Gase obviously coached himself out of the league.  There is no real indication that Saleh won't do the same thing.  

It's pretty weird to have a GM and HC coaching on the final year of their contracts.  It's pretty unusual. 

Even if the wheels completely fall off this year, the Jets defense over the last three years has solidified an immediate coordinator position if he gets the axe.

Also, doesn’t Saleh’s contract expire after next year? If jets limp into playoffs and get knocked out early I could see woody offering JD a one year extension to tie both men together to the same timeframe 

On 8/17/2024 at 3:19 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s amazing how Becton is considered worse than Everett McIver but Zach is on his way to immortality because he didn’t self-destruct facing 3rd stringers

Well it was good while it lasted lol

7B563DD5-E53D-4D47-953F-E09B77C9C01D.thumb.jpeg.10d9459c3c3a1d5626a972dfe57587dc.jpeg

15 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JD doesn’t understand the qb position.  He can evaluate the defensive positions well.  He can evaluate running back and he hit on GW but he also wasted a high draft pick on Moore.

yes he traded for Rodgers but that was an obvious move.  It’s like saying “hey, wanna trade for Michael Jordan?”

In most successful organizations, the offensive coaching staff, including the HC if he is offensively minded, is far more important in the QB evaluation process than the GM is.

Note that I am saying in the QB process and not the overall personnel process, even though the coaching staff is very important in personnel decisions, the QB is a unique animal.

How the coach wants to use the QB, what attributes they value, how they can work with the strengths and weaknesses of a QB, are critical components of selecting a QB.

The GM and scouts are involved, and may make the final decision, but the coaches are by far the most important component in identifying a QB that works for what they want to accomplish.

There was a reason why MLF got his guy in ZW, he was the OC, and the highest ranking offensive minded coach in the building.

I have no issue with JD being canned, although I think outside of the QB position and some bad luck at OL, he has done a pretty good job building a strong roster. I think his biggest mistake by far was hiring Saleh and letting Saleh bring in MLF if he wanted to draft a QB with the 2 overall pick. 

Ill say this again, you want a good QB? Get the right HC in here. The right coach can either identify the QB themselves, or hire the right people to identify.

Its no coincidence that Andy Reid has found multiple QB's, now it looks as though Peyton has as well. You need the right coaches if you want to find the right QB

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Yes. If we had Tyrod last yr instead of Zach, jets definitely make playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/18/2024 at 3:46 PM, Matt39 said:

The Jets aren’t even playing their kicker. Rodgers making it out of week 1 in one piece will take an act of god

Lol it’s risky as hell IMO ….what chance is there that we have cohesion or continuity across the OL when the first time anyone is getting punched in the face for real is when it actually matters?…when the Nick Bosa’s  of the world are teeing off at you just moments after Tyron Smith & Morgan Moses have been introduced to each other at the kickoff?

It’s the same for other position groups too but we’ve seen this before, and painfully, along the offensive line 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Lol it’s risky as hell IMO ….what chance is there that we have cohesion or continuity across the OL when the first time anyone is getting punched in the face for real is when it actually matters?…when the Nick Bosa’s  of the world are teeing off at you just moments after Tyron Smith & Morgan Moses have been introduced to each other at the kickoff?

It’s the same for other position groups too but we’ve seen this before, and painfully, along the offensive line 

Anyone who thinks it’s smart is lying 

On 8/19/2024 at 6:32 AM, The Crusher said:

We are a playoff team if Rodgers doesn't miss more than one game at a time, because Tyrod is a very solid albeit delicate back up. Like you said, if we get the bang bang and gone deal we back in purgatory

Screenshot_20240818_082827_Google.thumb.jpg.7499d79ee985f7c266e5765d89c6ced6.jpg

• Haha 1

To recap the preseason offensively, the Jets scored three total TDs across three games against the three teams with the lowest projected win totals in the NFL and averaged 4.4 yards per play in doing so, which would have ranked 30th last season, narrowly edging out the Zach Wilson/Tim Boyle 2023 Jets, who averaged 4.3 yards per play. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

To recap the preseason offensively, the Jets scored three total TDs across three games against the three teams with the lowest projected win totals in the NFL and averaged 4.4 yards per play in doing so, which would have ranked 30th last season, narrowly edging out the Zach Wilson/Tim Boyle 2023 Jets, who averaged 4.3 yards per play. 

And two QBs who will never see the light of day were under center for 99% of the snaps.  But keep on TomShanin’ 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

And two QBs who will never see the light of day were under center for 99% of the snaps.  But keep on TomShanin’ 

The entire offense exists only in the head of one 40 year old man, which seems dicey. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2024 at 5:52 AM, extmenace said:

Been saying this basically from free agency on. No long term deals given, no big trades that impact future drafts, no extensions. JD was given a short leash this year. Woody is giving them one last chance in a way that won’t hurt this team if they have to clean house. Thats why we saw the one year deals and that’s also why there is literally zero chance Reddick is getting a big extension. JD isn’t allowed to do it. 

The leash just got shorter...

On 8/15/2024 at 6:08 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

This thread is heaven for the d-i-s-e-a-s-e.

Pathetic.

I’m gonna give you about five weeks before you meltdown maybe that’s even giving you too much but it’s gonna be very very, very entertaining at least to me

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I’m gonna give you about five weeks before you meltdown maybe that’s even giving you too much but it’s gonna be very very, very entertaining at least to me

He is already calling for Ulbrich's head.