Aaron Rodgers Preseason Play?

Aaron Rodgers Preseason  

80 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, play him into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.
  2. 2. WILL Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2024 at 09:41 PM

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Even worse. He will be going against the other teams regular starters.

I want him to play in the preseason as much as he did last year. And I bet that is the case. Saleh will hint he won't and then he will come sprinting onto the field against the Giants like a returning gladiator!

Gladiator GIF

I think we’re on the same page here, actually. TBH i don’t see the point of what KC is doing but then again, I’m not nearly as smart as Andy Reid.

That said, i don’t think Rodgers needs to be bubble wrapped either. A couple series with the starters when close to real football is being played seems like a reasonable ask.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If Mahomes and Kelce can play in a preseason game coming off back to back SB wins, Rodgers can play in one coming off a year in which he played 4 total snaps of real football. 

this is a bit if a strange take but hear me out.

With the success the chiefs have had, there is less pressure on them in the event Mahommes or Kelce suffers an injury in the pre season. Not ideal by any means but it is a lot easier for the chiefs fan to absorb or  even lose the season after the last 5 years or so.

Rodgers is the jets - you lose him and you are sunk.

Like i said strange take.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

This “some guy off the street trying to make a name for himself” argument is pretty out there imo.

You really think a “nameless yahoo” is going to be playing at the same time Rodgers would be in a preseason game? We’re talking maybe playing two, three series at most in the 1st quarter.

Clelen Ferrell seems a pretty minimal risk for getting a blindside sack that injures Rodgers. ;) No way I'd let him see the field in a meaningless preseason game against the Giants. I think they'll suck this year, but if they put their starters in the game on defense, there's little gained having him back there looking out for Burns, Thibs, and Lawrence.

If they didn't do these joint practices I think the preseason games would have more value to the starters seeing field time.

I don't like the idea of them getting too little work before the real games begin, but the joint practices & scrimmages really do take care of a lot of that without the QBs getting hit. Despite how last year went, where faik it would've been avoided if that same play was called in preseason and didn't work, but without AR's foot getting snagged in the turf, the odds are that Rodgers failing to log a dozen snaps of vanilla called-plays - half of them handoffs, probably - in a game no one cares about probably isn't going to damn the season. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This “some yahoo trying to make a name for himself” argument is pretty out there imo.

You really think a UPS driver is going to be playing at the same time Rodgers would be in a preseason game? We’re talking about him maybe playing two, three series at most in the 1st quarter.

Not every team plays their starters in the preseason, even the first series. Forget the UPS driver, anyone playing in the preseason would be happy to get a hit in on Aaron Rodgers. There’s absolutely no reason to subject him to that risk. He’s getting the same work in during joint practices, but no one’s allowed to touch him. That’s better. This is the oldest player in the league, a four time MVP, you think a series or two in the preseason is going to make some sort of difference in a 17 game season? No. That’s stupid. Not close to worth the risk. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

With the success the chiefs have had, there is less pressure on them in the event Mahommes or Kelce suffers an injury in the pre season. Not ideal by any means but it is a lot easier for the chiefs fan to absorb or  even lose the season after the last 5 years or so.

I get what you are saying and I actually don't think it's that strange. 

I just think the Jets can't waste time trying to prevent something that is unpreventable. If Rodgers gets seriously injured at the very start of the season AGAIN, it's a sign that his body is breaking down and that he was never going to go on a deep playoff run with us. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I love ya Trot, you know that but…

Mind Blown GIF

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Not every team plays their starters in the preseason, even the first series. Forget the UPS driver, anyone playing in the preseason would be happy to get a hit in on Aaron Rodgers. There’s absolutely no reason to subject him to that risk. He’s getting the same work in during joint practices, but no one’s allowed to touch him. That’s better. This is the oldest player in the league, a four time MVP, you think a series or two in the preseason is going to make some sort of difference in a 17 game season? No. That’s stupid. Not close to worth the risk. 

It’s not stupid, it’s just a different view than yours.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I get what you are saying and I actually don't think it's that strange. 

I just think the Jets can't waste time trying to prevent something that is unpreventable. If Rodgers gets seriously injured at the very start of the season AGAIN, it's a sign that his body is breaking down and that he was never going to go on a deep playoff run with us. 

I've seen plenty of injuries to young guys that have absolutely NOTHING to do with age and the body breaking down. Weird take.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I've seen plenty of injuries to young guys that have absolutely NOTHING to do with age and the body breaking down. Weird take.

Right, but that doesn't mean that AR's injuries wouldn't be age-related

Rodgers went 5 straight seasons (2018-2022) without missing a game. In the final season of that run, he broke his thumb on his throwing hand and played through it. Then, last year, he comes here at age 39 and immediately tears his achilles. If he got hurt AGAIN at the very start of this season (marking a second straight season ending injury after 5 years of playing almost every snap), it could reasonably be argued that his body is breaking down. 

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Rodgers went 5 straight seasons (2018-2022) without missing a game. In the final season of that run, he broke his thumb on his throwing hand and played through it. Then, last year, he comes here at age 39 and immediately tears his achilles. If he got hurt AGAIN at the very start of this season (marking a second straight season ending injury after 5 years of playing almost every snap), it could reasonably be argued that his body is breaking down. 

Do you see breaking his thumb as an age related issue? I don't. And after watching his Achilles injury last year, I'm pretty confident most players would have ruptured their Achilles regardless of age. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Would you say Matt Milano, at age 30, has endured two season ending age related injuries?

On 8/15/2024 at 1:45 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Do you think this guy should see the field in the preseason?

I believe he will be at some point.  I'd love to see him get 2 series this week and then play the whole first quarter the last week.  

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you see breaking his thumb as an age related issue? I don't. 

Could be? We don't know. There is a lot of individual variability in all of this stuff. 

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

And after watching his Achilles injury last year, I'm pretty confident most players would have ruptured their Achilles regardless of age. 

You could be right. I won't pretend to know. 

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Would you say Matt Milano, at age 30, has endured two season ending age related injuries?

Again, that could be the case (LBs age faster than QBs, after all), but Milano isn't relevant to my concern. Again - individual variability is hard to account for. We are talking about Rodgers. Rodgers has been a very durable player throughout his career (he's played 11 complete NFL seasons without missing a single game and another 2 where he's only missed 1 game AND he's only missed more than 6 games 3 times).

More recently, Rodgers went 5 straight years without any major injuries and then suddenly got a season ending injury at age 39. If that happens again at age 40 in his very next season, it's fair to wonder whether his body is breaking down. 

• Sympathy 1

He snapped his achilies 4 plays into the first reg season game which shows injuries can happen any time and saving him just for the reg season makes no sense to me.  He needs at least a bit of time.   We can't be saying about how we did bad for the first game or so due to rust.

Bare minimum, 1 quarter in one game, 1 series in another.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Jihad Ward was starting his 8th year and he gave Rodgers a cheap shot last year and then responded to Rodgers saying "I don't even know who you are."  with "I don't ******* know who you are!" 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I guess @Barry McCockinner should have listed only two options in his poll and just called it a day.

1. Not at all

2. Stupid

As long as he’s not some rando jints’ fan trolling Jet fans, he’s free to post what he wants. He’s placed himself in the small minority looking for Rodgers to play into the second half of a preseason game. You’re not even in that group, but trolls gotta troll. I think his idea is a very bad one, and that the idea that a 20 year veteran playing a series or two in a preseason game can somehow make a difference in a 17 game season is, yes, stupid. A ****ton of risk vs. no real potential reward. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

He could get injured in the shower. The point is that he’s not subject to getting hit in a meaningless preseason game by some yahoo looking to make a name for himself. 

It's interesting how many things Jets Fans have started calling "meaningless" since Rodgers arrived.

Practice.  Minicamp.  Camp.  Preseason.  Last season.  

I wonder, when he went down 4 plays in last year, did you quietly whisper to yourself "Well, at least it wasn't in a meaningless preseason game, thank God for that at least."

One can only wonder if he'd actually played more in preseason, shook that rust off, maybe he wouldn't looked so sh*t those 4 plays, and maybe he wouldn't have had to scramble so desperately if he'd have known where his receivers would be.  We'll never know.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

He could get injured in the shower. The point is that he’s not subject to getting hit in a meaningless preseason game by some yahoo looking to make a name for himself. 

Tend to agree. JD / Saleh will be pilloried if Rodgers goes down in a pre-season game. Very limited (if any) upside and career-suicide downside.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

It's interesting how many things Jets Fans have started calling "meaningless" since Rodgers arrived.

Practice.  Camp.  Preseason.  Last season.  

Really? Preseason has its uses, but none of them really pertain to getting a 20 year vet ready for a lengthy season by playing him for a series or two. Ditto two practices in the spring. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Could be? We don't know. There is a lot of individual variability in all of this stuff. 

You could be right. I won't pretend to know. 

Again, that could be the case (LBs age faster than QBs, after all), but Milano isn't relevant to my concern. Again - individual variability is hard to account for. We are talking about Rodgers. Rodgers has been a very durable player throughout his career (he's played 11 complete NFL seasons without missing a single game and another 2 where he's only missed 1 game AND he's only missed more than 6 games 3 times).

More recently, Rodgers went 5 straight years without any major injuries and then suddenly got a season ending injury at age 39. If that happens again at age 40 in his very next season, it's fair to wonder whether his body is breaking down. 

Based on the argument you laid out, it really isn't fair to wonder whether his body is breaking down. It's like you are arguing against yourself. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

As long as he’s not some rando jints’ fan trolling Jet fans, he’s free to post what he wants. He’s placed himself in the small minority looking for Rodgers to play into the second half of a preseason game. You’re not even in that group, but trolls gotta troll. I think his idea is a very bad one, and that the idea that a 20 year veteran playing a series or two in a preseason game can somehow make a difference in a 17 game season is, yes, stupid. A ****ton of risk vs. no real potential reward. 

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Practice.  Camp.  Preseason.  Last season.  

When was the last time the Jets had a 20 year veteran playing QB? Virtually meaningless to that player but invaluable to a first or second year player. See the difference? Probably not.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Practice.  Minicamp.  Camp.  Preseason.  Last season.  

I wonder, when he went down 4 plays in last year, did you quietly whisper to yourself "Well, at least it wasn't in a meaningless preseason game, thank God for that at least."

One can only wonder if he'd actually played more in preseason, shook that rust off, maybe he wouldn't looked so sh*t those 4 plays, and maybe he wouldn't have had to scramble so desperately if he'd have known where his receivers would be.  We'll never know.

Can never be known but I will say that it was malpractice to have him doing that medicine ball drill in training camp last off-season. I could feel my Achilles straining just by watching it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

When was the last time the Jets had a 20 year veteran playing QB? Virtually meaningless to that player but invaluable to a first or second year player. See the difference? Probably not.

You started strong but then went gratuitously nasty at the end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jgb said:

You started strong but then went gratuitously nasty at the end. 

Thanls for the critique! I always strive to do better. I definitely should have left that part off but I have reasons for writing it 😃 Emotions for the better part of me.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I think there is a level of risk involved in facing a tough Niners defense and defensive front without having taken live snaps against guys who can hit you in a year. It's probably not a huge deal but there will be some jitters and possibly hesitation involved until he settles in a bit. Probably true even if he does play some in preseason but more so if he doesn't IMO.

I'd like to see him take a couple of hits and throw a few live balls with real linemen bearing down in preseason and get that monkey off his back.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Thanls for the critique! I always strive to do better. I definitely should have left that part off but I have reasons for writing it 😃 Emotions for the better part of me.

Well, there is some partial redemption here for self-awareness, at least.

Warfish is one of the most enjoyable, respectful, and challenging debate opponents on here. Embrace the fun of it. :) 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1