Thoughts on Michael Clemons

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you care?

I just find people your comment I quoted funny coming from you, knowing you and reading you for as long as I have here.  

In all those years now, I honestly cannot recall you ever expressing real critical negativity towards a currently rostered player, coach or GM.  

You are one of the most consistently positive pro-current-Jets people on JN by my reading on this forum.

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I think the trade of JFM, was more about making room for Reddick and his potential extension.

This is exactly what it was - when the Jets added Reddick, they wanted to clear cap dollars for a Reddick deal.

Maybe should have held off on that one until the deal was actually agreed, JD.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I just find people your comment I quoted funny coming from you, knowing you and reading you for as long as I have here.  

In all those years now, I honestly cannot recall you ever expressing real critical negativity towards a currently rostered player, coach or GM.  

You are one of the most consistently positive pro-current-Jets people on JN by my reading on this forum.

If someone looks like they’re not going to develop I just kind of take the lets see if he improves approach.  When there were people calling for Maccs head for taking Quinnen I did say more than give him time then we’ll see what he is.  When we know who was screaming we won’t get a 3rd for him.  
Am I more positive because I  tend to not agree with those who want to call a player a bust in one season?  Ok.  I don’t enjoy whining on about busts.  They happen, it’s part of the deal.  
Most of the people who this summer have turned on Clemons were the same who posted about his being a steal at his draft position, some even calling him the steal of the draft.  Now you get the “I knew he sucked” type posts.  
Last year Izzy was a steal.  This year it’s Davis.  Izzy’s out.  Lots claiming they wanted Davis before the draft.  People freaked out when CJ let Saleh go home and think about the Jets deal because swore he was going to sign with his hometown Lions team.  He shouldn’t have been allowed to leave.  Now it’s dumb comments about a picture or 2 about him playing a round of golf in the offseason.  Ok.  Sometimes you have to give things a chance.  Saying you want to see a QB in a better situation than what ZW was handed before saying he sucks doesn’t mean you were saying in a better situation he would be Mahomes.  Or that he will become a FQB.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

JFM is what he is - a solid, starting DL who can set the edge and pitch in with 6-8 sacks in a good year.

He doesn't suck - he's just not a star.

He had 6 sacks, once. His average outside of that one year is 3.3, so call it 3.5. He was also good for at least 2 game changing roughing penalties per year. I'm not saying he sucks but he's being overrated by Jets fans. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

He had 6 sacks, once. His average outside of that one year is 3.3, so call it 3.5. He was also good for at least 2 game changing roughing penalties per year. I'm not saying he sucks but he's being overrated by Jets fans. 

Watching JFM play football and MC play football it's pretty easy to spot the difference. Unless you're not watching I don't know how this can be overlooked.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Watching JFM play football and MC play football it's pretty easy to spot the difference. Unless you're not watching I don't know how this can be overlooked.

I'm not comparing the two, but JFM wasn't that great. That's all I'm saying. I don't think the Jets DL will fall apart without him and he was grossly overpaid.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Yeah, I looked up his numbers and changed my idea of a good JFM year in an edit.

As I said, not a star but a solid player who knew his role. And certainly significantly better than Michael Clemons.

Michael Clemons won the hearts and minds of Jets fans by looking and behaving like Deebo from Friday. The truth is that he's allergic to finding the football and has the on-field instincts of Ray Charles with his pants down trying to find the back of a urinal. His scouting report is one sentence long and reads, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

As a 9th or 10th defensive lineman, you could do worse. But his value is that he's a big body who is tough to move—a gap-filler of sorts. That's not worth nothing, but it's not worth much.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

JFM is what he is - a solid, starting DL who can set the edge and pitch in with half a dozen sacks in a good year.

I'd have kept JFM over Clemons - 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

If it wasn't for his contract, JFM would still be here & Clemons would almost certainly be heading for the chopping block.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

JFM is what he is - a solid, starting DL who can set the edge and pitch in with half a dozen sacks in a good year.

Or, he can start, get 33 tackles and 3 sacks like he did last year.

He sucks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

The truth is that he...has the on-field instincts of Ray Charles with his pants down trying to find the back of a urinal. 

My, that's a vivid image.

You are like a verbal Picasso, good sir.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

This fan base needs to stop being so naively positive about everything related to this team.  Wait until you are actually shown something on game day.  It becomes the same thing with every player.

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

@Joe W. Namath

He sucks.
JFMs problems were penalty related more than anything else.... Drive/Game killing penalties

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bronx said:

Maybe because McDonald is a bust. 

i dont think so.  technically, he looks good.  Gotta see him in with the starting lineup in a real game.  He playing with guys on the line now that wont make the roster.  when there are four starters on the line, individual skills shine a lot more.  A very good d-line unit creates opportunities for each other.  he's going to be a producer on the edge.  he also plays to the whistle and follows the play regardless of where the ball goes.  workers get better all the time.  

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Actually, no.  Will McDonald has it.  He's going to be a producer on the edge.  

Looks like he could be a dangerous pass rusher. So far looks like a liability against the run which will keep him off the field a lot of downs. Reddick is a 3 down player. 

Clemons in on rush downs will lead to easier passing opportunities for opponents in those spots. Not a huge hole but one that good coaches will likely take advantage of. A lot of NFL games are close and won on small edges.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He is pathetically slow off the ball and has no pass rushing moves.

He works hard and does have the intimidation factor but should be easily replaced.

Agree here.  He's motivated and strong but short on critical skills.  Not too bad as a depth/rotational player when run is expected. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is nothing to not be positive about.  We have aaron rodgers, a top 3 talented roster in the league snd we are healthy.

If you are not positive right now then there really is no hope for you.

Were you positive last year? Results?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He sucks.

He had more tackles than Bryce Huff. Does that mean Bryce sucks as well?

JFM is an above average Edge/DT. To say "he sucks" is a gross exaggeration.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

He’s a 25yo former 1st round pick playing against scrubs. All this list means is he’s the least dreggy of the dregs playing against other dregs. 

Unless you are the Graeae.

He did abuse their back up in the game but he also beat their starter in the scrimmage earlier in the week.

43 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Moss was traded for a 4th rounder, and you can make an argument that he is a top ten WR to ever play the game.

But you do you.

Um……there is no comparison btwn a 4th and a 6th round pick.

Thats like saying a 1st and a 3rd round pick are comparable.

On 8/19/2024 at 1:01 AM, Beerfish said:

He is pathetically slow off the ball and has no pass rushing moves.

He works hard and does have the intimidation factor but should be easily replaced.

He’s also paid around the league minimum.    Crazy that we’re arguing about a league min / rotational guy.   Refreshing to see what happens when we don’t have a qb to hate on.