Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'll be interested to see what the swapped picks are - maybe it will be a better deal than we expect but, in any event, JD upgraded a future pick for trading an UDFA who was going to be on neither our roster nor our practice squad.

I’ll be shocked if it’s anything more than a 6th for a 7th, but I’ll always take something over nothing. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slats said:

I’ll be shocked if it’s anything more than a 6th for a 7th, but I’ll always take something over nothing. 

Just seen it on the Jets site - it is indeed Codrington and a 7th for a 6th.

Better than nothing for an UDFA who wasn't going to be here anyway.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Are we really going to have to wade through 20 posts in 12 minutes from @TuscanyTile2 like last night in the Captain thread?

We’re here to find out about roster moves, not deal with his nonsense,

This is all we have so far @Green Ghost

S Al Blades Jr.

RB  Xazavian Valladay

DL Jaylen Twyman

CB Tre Swilling

S Jaylen Key

WR Brandon Smith

CB/KR Brandon Codrington (traded for a late round pick swap with the Jills)

OG Kohl Levao

• Upvote 1

The Jets' initial 53-man roster is set.

General manager Joe Douglas and his personnel staff made 37 moves ahead of Tuesday's 4 p.m. Eastern deadline.

In a crowded defensive line room, undrafted free agents Leonard Taylor III, Eric Watts and Braiden McGregor all made the team. They flashed throughout the summer, highlighted by their performance in the preseason finale against the Giants where they combined for 4 sacks against their local rival.

Veteran pass rusher Takk McKinley, who led the Jets with 2.5 sacks last Saturday, also made the initial 53-man roster as Douglas kept 10 defensive linemen (Jermaine Johnson is listed as a linebacker).

"I know in the past I've made mistakes on the field, off the field, but everybody can grow," McKinley, a first-round pick in 2017, said after Saturday's game. "I am very thankful that [DC Jeff Ulbrich] gave me the opportunity just to show the Jets organization what I'm capable of. He's a great man because he didn't have to do that. Every day in training camp, I gave it my all. In the game I gave it my all and we'll see what happens."

At wide receiver, second-year players Jason Brownlee and Irvin Charles made the initial 53 along with Garrett Wilson, Mike Williams, Allen Lazard, Malachi Corley and Xavier Gipson.

Israel Abanikanda made the cut at running back, coming off an impressive performance against the Giants where he had a 45-yard touchdown run and finished with a team-leading 83 rushing yards. The Green & White's stable also consists of Breece Hall and rookies Braelon Allen and Isaiah Davis.

On the initial 53-man roster, the Jets are carrying two quarterbacks -- Aaron Rodgersand Tyrod Taylor -- and 10 offensive linemen.

• Upvote 4

The Jets placed DT Leki Fotu and TE Kenny Yeboah on injured reserve, and they will miss at least the first four weeks of the regular season. Rookie QB Jordan Travis has been placed on the reserve/non-football injury list.

"His rehab is going to be a little longer than we anticipated, but he's in a great place," Robert Saleh said of Travis, who broke his leg last November while playing for Florida State. "He's in every meeting, he goes to all the walkthroughs. Hopefully it's something we can revisit later in the year."

Douglas & Co. can start to fill out the Green & White's practice squad Wednesday after

• Upvote 3

S Al Blades Jr.

RB Xazavian Valladay

DL Jaylen Twyman

CB Tre Swilling

S Jaylen Key

WR Brandon Smith

CB/KR Brandon Codrington (traded)

OG Kohl Levao

CB Shemar Bartholomew

OT Austin Deculus

LB Sam Eguavoen

OT Obinna Eze

TE Anthony Firkser

OL Chris Glaser

OL Jake Hanson

WR Tyler Harrell

DT Bruce Hector

LB Anthony Hines

DL Jalyn Holmes

RB Deon Jackson

TE Zack Kuntz

S Jarius Monroe

OL Brady Latham

QB Adrian Martinez

Complete Jets cut list:

S Al Blades Jr.

RB Xazavian Valladay

DL Jaylen Twyman

CB Tre Swilling

S Jaylen Key

WR Brandon Smith

CB/KR Brandon Codrington (traded)

OG Kohl Levao

CB Shemar Bartholomew

OT Austin Deculus

LB Sam Eguavoen

OT Obinna Eze

TE Anthony Firkser

OL Chris Glaser

OL Jake Hanson

WR Tyler Harrell

DT Bruce Hector

LB Anthony Hines

DL Jalyn Holmes

RB Deon Jackson

TE Zack Kuntz

S Jarius Monroe

OL Brady Latham

QB Adrian Martinez

LB Marcelino McCrary-Ball

WR Lance McCutcheon

QB Andrew Peasley

TE Lincoln Sefcik

K Austin Seibert

CB Kendall Sheffield

CB Nehemiah Shelton

LB Jackson Sirmon

DT Tanzel Smart

OL Willie Tyler

WR Isaiah Winstead

35 players released or traded in total

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Fotu on IR - makes more sense on the DL situation with this in mind.

Izzy, Charles, Brownlee all made the roster (for now).

Just another DL stored away without using a roster spot. 

Not surprised by the seven WRs, either. I kinda expected it. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Dig in !

We got there in the end. No real surprises amongst the cuts, and moving Fotu and Yeboah to IR opened up a couple of roster spots.

Only 2 TEs on the 53 for now, so I'd expect a move there at some point soon. At a minimum, I think we'll add a TE or two to the PS.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

We got there in the end. No real surprises amongst the cuts, and moving Fotu and Yeboah to IR opened up a couple of roster spots.

Only 2 TEs on the 53 for now, so I'd expect a move there at some point soon. At a minimum, I think we'll add a TE or two to the PS.

Tonyan? Just released.

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah I always feel so bad for the guys that are on the team for basically a day pending waiver claims. Should have a good feel for the roster tomorrow night