Reddick posts workout video

Any trade value he may have had has been tanked by his holdout.
It seems the Jets are choosing to take this personally, despite their “it’s just the business of football” canned responses.
They are operating exactly as any sound financial mind will tell you .. you don't pay 300k for a 200k Lamborghini, and you don't sell a 200k Lamborghini for 100k. Especially when you are not desperate.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It seems the Jets are choosing to take this personally, despite their “it’s just the business of football” canned responses.

Ya reckon just asking Reddick to show up to get his money is "taking it personally"? It feels like most other holdouts this off season (or guys like Judon) haven't minded reporting while negotiating a deal... The Jets could go to Reddick but I don't feel like asking him just to show up is that petty either?

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

How exactly have the Jets taken things personally?  
Because nothing they’ve said or done seems to fit your take

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

joe traded for him to contribute to the jets winning-he is not on the field for the Jets-so far this is a giant fail for Joe-if he comes in and contributes it will be a win for Joe-results are all that matters-the rest is nonsense

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

15 minutes ago, kmnj said:

joe traded for him to contribute to the jets winning-he is not on the field for the Jets-so far this is a giant fail for Joe-if he comes in and contributes it will be a win for Joe-results are all that matters-the rest is nonsense

That's a pretty big "If" right now.

"If" my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How exactly have the Jets taken things personally?  
Because nothing they’ve said or done seems to fit your take

The Jets' stance (according to beat writers) is they won't even engage in discussions until he shows up to camp.

It doesn't sound like the Jets have floated him a single offer.

It was always naive to think he would show up and practice and risk injury with $0 in guarantees left on his deal.

What Reddick is doing doesn't make sense from his POV either.  He's racking up fines when he could have been "holding in".  I guess he and his agent feel like this is what it takes to let the Jets know they are serious.

The Jets are in this stupid staring contest to see who blinks first.

Someone has to bend a little to get the ball rolling.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jets' stance (according to beat writers) is they won't even engage in discussions until he shows up to camp.

It was always naive to think he would show up and practice and risk injury with $0 in guarantees left on his deal.

What Reddick is doing doesn't make sense from his POV either.  He's racking up fines when he could have been "holding in".  I guess he and his agent feel like this is what it takes to let the Jets know they are serious.

All true. 
Also truth is he’s under contract and he cashed his guaranteed bonus money.  So the he has no guarantees argument doesn’t really fit.  The Jets expected him to show up because that’s what he signed up for.  If he met his contractual obligation and showed up they more than likely have a new deal in place

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Big Snell said:

My gut says that he shows up and plays his contract (fully guaranteed), and they find a way to loophole his fines.......if that's possible. I just have a feeling he doesn't like training camp.

agree,  the game of chicken will end before september 2nd.  jets will offer him part of what he wants and he'll accept. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's definitely a staring contest, and you are right - It's in the best interest of both sides to "bend a little" and get something done sooner rather than later. 

The issue is, the Jets probably don't feel much pressure to cave because of how deep they are at edge. 

I think one thing that has not gotten enough attention is how Joe Douglas described the Reddick trade coming together. He basically made it sound like they were planning to move forward with the edge guys in their building and then Reddick suddenly became available (for not a lot of draft capital) and they pivoted because they liked him so much as a player. Basically, my sense is that Reddick was viewed (rightly or wrongly) as a luxury and not a need. 

I don't see the Jets being the first ones to blink without an injury to one of our rotational edge guys OR some bad defensive performances early in the year.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's definitely a staring contest, and you are right - It's in the best interest of both sides to "bend a little" and get something done sooner rather than later. 

The issue is, the Jets probably don't feel much pressure to cave because of how deep they are at edge. 

I think one thing that has not gotten enough attention is how Joe Douglas described the Reddick trade coming together. He basically made it sound like they were planning to move forward with the edge guys in their building and then Reddick suddenly became available (for not a lot of draft capital) and they pivoted because they liked him so much as a player. Basically, my sense is that Reddick was viewed (rightly or wrongly) as a luxury and not a need. 

I don't see the Jets being the first ones to blink without an injury to one of our rotational edge guys OR some bad defensive performances early in the year.  

Right now, I think Takk MckSack will be a servicable replacement for Reddick and you have McGregor, Watts, or whoever else they decide to keep that can rotate in.

Takk may not be a 10 + sack guy, but he's still only 28, so who knows.

I like what I've seen from him so far and McKinnley & McGregor have made me far less concerned about Reddick.

Reddick is a luxury, the way we sit right now IMO.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's a pretty big "If" right now.

"If" my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

true but I judge on results

if he does not contribute Joe failed-if he does Joe did well and deserves credit

If joes team has a terrible record on his watch-he deserves the blame, if Joes team does well and wins he deserves the credit

sports there is no gray only black and white-it is a results oriented business-you win you did your job you lose you failed-Joe has been a terrible GM to date as his record shows(joe fan boys have nothing but excuses even though joe picked the players and the coach) If Joes team suceeds this year , I will give him all of the credit in the world.  

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

true but I judge on results

if he does not contribute Joe failed-if he does Joe did well and deserves credit

If joes team has a terrible record on his watch-he deserves the blame, if Joes team does well and wins he deserves the credit

sports there is no gray only black and white-it is a results oriented business-you win you did your job you lose you failed-Joe has been a terrible GM to date as his record shows(joe fan boys have nothing but excuses even though joe picked the players and the coach) If Joes team suceeds this year , I will give him all of the credit in the world.  

It's easy to pick a winner, when the race has already taken place and the results are known.

While there is a lot of truth to what you say, it's not always so black & white.

Sometimes, for a variety of different reasons, GM's take calculated risks to try & improve the roster.

Sometimes they hit & sometimes they miss, that's part of the business.

Yes, ideally you'd like them to hit more then they miss, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm not saying JD has been a stellar GM, he's definitely had his share of whiffs.

But would you rather have a GM that steps up to the plate and takes a swing?

Or a GM that sits in the batters box and never swings at a pitch, like Terry Bradway?

JD is trying - at least he's not sitting on his hands.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The problem is there is no language in the trade terms to protect that 3rd round pick promised to the Eagles if Reddick never shows up and never plays a down for them.

Jets' Saleh not counting out holdout Haason Reddick for Week 1 - ESPN

• Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff WriterAug 27, 2024, 11:57 AM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Holdout Haason Reddick has yet to participate in a practice or attend a meeting as a member of the New York Jets -- that includes the offseason -- but there's still a path for him to play in the season opener, according to coach Robert Saleh.

"Yeah, depending on -- I'm assuming he's in phenomenal shape," Saleh said Tuesday before practice. "Like I said, he's a veteran. He knows what he needs to get ready. He's had success in multiple buildings and multiple schemes with coaching staffs, and so he's going to know what he needs to do to be ready for Week 1. So, he still has plenty of time."

The Pro Bowl edge rusher, acquired in a March 29 trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, requested a trade Aug. 12. The Jets responded with a statement saying they aren't going to trade him. Reddick, who skipped the offseason program and training camp, is being fined a mandatory $50,000 per day. His holdout has reached 36 days -- a total of $1.8 million in training camp fines.

Reddick hasn't commented, but his personal coach posted a workout video Monday of him doing a pass-rush agility drill. Saleh said he hasn't seen the video. He also said he hasn't reached out to Reddick personally in an attempt to resolve the stalemate and he doesn't plan to.

"I've just been focusing on the guys that have been here," Saleh said.

Reddick, who turns 30 on Sept. 22, wants a new contract commensurate with the highest-paid edge rushers. He's in the final year of a three-year, $45 million contract, due to make a non-guaranteed $14.25 million in base pay. The $15 million average ranks 20th among edge players, according to the Roster Management System.

He has record 50.5 sacks over the last four seasons, fourth-most in the league, making him the most accomplished edge rusher on the Jets' roster. They open the season in 13 days against the San Francisco 49ers on "Monday Night Football."

Reddick's desire for a new contract was widely known in the offseason; it was the reason the Eagles decided to trade him for a 2026 conditional third-round pick. The Jets didn't address his contract at the time of the trade; they were told that he'd play under his existing contract, sources said. Reddick's camp reportedly disputes that and expected to continue negotiations after the Jets' first offer was rejected.

On April 1, Reddick showed up to the facility for his physical and a virtual news conference. He hasn't been back since.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

That's the part of this that makes no sense -- clearly the "hold-in" is how these things are handled in 2024 to avoid fines (Ceedee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, etc.)

Actually holding out is moronic. Just show up and don't practice.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The problem is there is no language in the trade terms to protect that 3rd round pick promised to the Eagles if Reddick never shows up and never plays a down for them.

It's simply not a big enough investment to get Douglas to budge. It's a 3rd round pick 2 years from now. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's the part of this that makes no sense -- clearly the "hold-in" is how these things are handled in 2024 to avoid fines (Ceedee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, etc.)

This is what makes me wonder if there is more to this story - Something going on in his personal life? Just doesn't want to play for the organization?

I was hoping that he just didn't feel like going to camp this year, but camp is over now. 

It's odd because it's hard to see a team giving up assets for the right to give him an enormous contract NOW. Maybe at the deadline? IDK, I think he fumbled this whole situation. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

And he is paying someone a bunch of $ to give him sound advice like this.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If he was in camp then the other 30 teams he auditioning for (I am excluding the Jets and Eagles) would be collecting 2024 tape on him.  If he comes in and dogs it that may be the worst thing her can do for his hoped-for 2025 "bonanza"

• Upvote 1

Dude has misplayed this situation big time.

The only way he can salvage is to show up and produce for the Jets in 2024 in the hopes of earning his next/last significant contract in 2025.  Then it's good riddance time.

Do not bend one inch Joe Douglas.  He went back on his word, and you owe him nothing.  The fans have no allegiance toward him.  He hasn't contributed a single snap to this team.  The time to throw him a bone (guaranteeing some of his 2024 money) has long passed.  Save all long term money toward the players that actually matter (Wilson, Breece, Sauce, JJ).  If a 2026 third rounder is a sunk cost for this clown, so be it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Maybe if he does come in we should find a way to charge him some extra dollars for the roster spot he will be taking up.  After all he needs the Jets and nobody else in order to provide him with the stage for his 2025 audition.

No successful audition, no big payday.

Only joking of course but the principal is the same as the poker dealers at your local underground poker game who need to kick back a percentage of their tips to the house for the privilege of being allowed to deal the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

If he was in camp then the other 30 teams he auditioning for (I am excluding the Jets and Eagles) would be collecting 2024 tape on him.  If he comes in and dogs it that may be the worst thing her can do for his hoped-for 2025 "bonanza"

Right. He'll never get what he wants (huge contract) without playing this year. Playing this year (and balling out) is the only way to get it.

So he is ready to cave as evidenced by the videos dropping.  Or at least that is how I am reading it.

Do we find some way that costs us next to nothing but allows his side to say that "both sides gave a little?"

Personally I would say no to that but if he needs a fig leaf to avoid looking like a total dunce then maybe we give him that fig leaf.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kmnj said:

And when he shows up on week 1 for some guarantees and escalators is he still an idiot then or did he do his job and get a top tier pass rusher for cheaper then market value??? 

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And when he shows up on week 1 for some guarantees and escalators is he still an idiot then or did he do his job and get a top tier pass rusher for cheaper then market value??? 

No, he is still an idiot who has impacted his value in the market with his negotiating strategy choices.  That ship has sailed already and I bet a good portion of the GMs in the league are now in the "Over my dead body" or "only if significantly discounted" camps when it comes to his next deal.

He needs to be Superman this year to try and overcome the damage he has already done and the good news is that if he is successful then he will have been Superman for us in 2024.  We were never giving him a long term deal anyway.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

No, he is still an idiot who has impacted his value in the market with his negotiating strategy choices.  That ship has sailed already and I bet a good portion of the GMs in the league are now in the "Over my dead body" or "only if significantly discounted" camps when it comes to his next deal.

He needs to be Superman this year to try and overcome the damage he has already done and the good news is that if he is successful then he will have been Superman for us in 2024.  We were never giving him a long term deal anyway.

And that's JDs fault? 

• Upvote 1