New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

38 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

The vision was developing a QB to manage and run a balanced offense. All QBs in the draft sucked. Including the following one taken by the great 49ers. He then pivoted to the most capable veteran in the league to make a superbowl run with a stacked af roster he assembled over 3 years, in attempt to not waste the talent. Not sure how long you been around, but in my lifetime the Jets have NEVER drafted as well, or found the volume of talent that this group has, and we still aren't totally fd for future resources. I don't know what more you could possibly ask of a GM. I do not blame him for the Jets horrific injury luck. Which hope to hell is passed for a while. 

At least we can all agree it’s time to win then.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Are you asking because of his decision to draft Wilson? If so, which QB could he have taken that wouldn't make you question his ability to pick a QB? Jones? Lance? Fields? I'm not talking about the decision to stay at 2 and draft a QB. That's a different discussion. We are talking about his ability to evaluate a QB prospect to be the FQB.

Outside of Lawrence, all of the QB's in that draft are failures. The great John Lynch would have taken Wilson if he was drafting 2. Instead he traded 3 ones to move up and take Trey Lance.

No matter who Douglas picked at 2, he would have ended up in the same position he was heading into 2023. If the Jets make a playoff run I have no problem with him getting another crack at selecting a QB.

He’s drafted James Morgan, who couldn’t stick around the minor leagues. And this year Travis, who’s out for the year. He had the opportunity to take Jordan Love and Jalen Hurts and passed. In the NFL cycle, you have a tiny window to find your QB. Not saying he can’t do it, but everything revolves around Rodgers staying healthy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The question is if you want or trust Douglas picking the next quarterback. 

that's not the question i asked.

personally to answer your question - i think he's done a pretty good job putting this roster together.  i have some concerns with aging vets.

If Rodgers plays well, i give him a shot to pick the next QB.   If Rodgers gets hurt/plays poorly I say no.    Anything less than 9 wins he gets fired.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

personally to answer your question - i think he's done a pretty good job putting this roster together.  i have some concerns with aging vets.

If Rodgers plays well, i give him a shot to pick the next QB.   If Rodgers gets hurt/plays poorly I say no.    Anything less than 9 wins he gets fired.

No.

If we don't win at least 10 games this season, it would be a MONUMENTAL failure.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a fine in the amount of the game checks when one holds out and misses a game, not that they actually would otherwise get preseason game checks for showing up and participating (or not participating due to injury or the team keeping the player out). It's designed to be punitive. 

That's how Reddick has amassed over $3MM in fines, and Trent Williams over $5MM in fines, etc. by holding out all summer. 

Thanks for explaining. Someone needs to clue in the beat writers on this point then — they keep saying he lost 2.05 million in fines (50k per day of training camp) and a $250,000 bonus for showing up for the non-mandatory stuff. I haven’t seen anyone say there is an additional 3 game checks worth of fines (which would be nearly another 2.4M on top of those other fines … so nearly 5M total).

8 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Thanks for explaining. Someone needs to clue in the beat writers on this point then — they keep saying he lost 2.05 million in fines (50k per day of training camp) and a $250,000 bonus for showing up for the non-mandatory stuff. I haven’t seen anyone say there is an additional 3 game checks worth of fines (which would be nearly another 2.4M on top of those other fines … so nearly 5M total).

NY Post today (and Cimini on ESPN has been saying the same thing): https://nypost.com/2024/09/04/sports/why-haason-reddick-isnt-likely-to-get-what-he-wants-from-holdout/

Reddick accumulated $2.05 million in mandatory fines for skipping offseason activities and training camp, also forfeiting a $250K workout bonus.

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

lol, you are so worked up over 2 late round qb picks.  that's silly.

Jalen was taken before their second round pick in case you forgot.  

I guarantee if he took Love as the 10th pick that year you would have had a meltdown.

Zack was a bad pick, but as you have repeatedly said that was on Woody due to the JetBlue connection.  You can't even keep your story straight on that one.

Now TECHNICALLY, we could have drafted Hurts.  We traded down from 48 to 59 in 2020 where we took Mims.  There was really no doubt we were looking to draft a WR there and nobody was talking about Hurts to the Jets as even a possibility.  At the time, there was a lot of concern over not taking Claypool, but most were pretty happy with how that ended up.  So dredging that up now as revisionist history is trash.  But just to set the record straight...if we WANTED Hurts, we could have drafted him.  We'll see if Matt jumps all over this one.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Now TECHNICALLY, we could have drafted Hurts.  We traded down from 48 to 59 in 2020 where we took Mims.  There was really no doubt we were looking to draft a WR there and nobody was talking about Hurts to the Jets as even a possibility.  At the time, there was a lot of concern over not taking Claypool, but most were pretty happy with how that ended up.  So dredging that up now as revisionist history is trash.  But just to set the record straight...if we WANTED Hurts, we could have drafted him.  We'll see if Matt jumps all over this one.

good catch, i forgot about the trade down. 

43 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Training camp isn't 40 days long is it? I thought officially it was 14 days and then either after that it's not technically training camp, or there are that many rest-days in between, or whatever. Anyway 14 days @ $50K = $700K in training camp fines.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

No freakin' way do I let the man who picked Zach Wilson 2nd overall do it again.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Training camp isn't 40 days long is it? I thought officially it was 14 days and then either after that it's not technically training camp, or there are that many rest-days in between, or whatever. Anyway 14 days @ $50K = $700K in training camp fines.

Yeah, when i starting thinking about those numbers, it doesn’t quite make sense to me either. I did see somewhere in the media that training camp didn’t officially end until this past Sunday, or something. I suppose if you also count off days as training camp, the whole thing start to finish may have been 41 days. But that seems like too much. I’m pretty sure it’s more than 14 though — even not including the off days. 

Whatever … suffice it to say, he has lost A LOT of money in fines — whether it’s 2.5, or 4.5, or something in between.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

lol, you are so worked up over 2 late round qb picks.  that's silly.

Jalen was taken before their second round pick in case you forgot.  

I guarantee if he took Love as the 10th pick that year you would have had a meltdown.

Zack was a bad pick, but as you have repeatedly said that was on Woody due to the JetBlue connection.  You can't even keep your story straight on that one.

They traded down for Mims I think. Their initial pick he was there 

57 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Dredging up what now? We’re talking football guy. The GM generally has a window to find a QB or else the organization moves on to the next one. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There was a blurb that said that the preseason game constituted game checks and would be about $800K.  Thing is, they didn't multiply it by 3, so I am lost.  I know that there are several hundred thousand which are discretionary and the Jets can forgive, but IIRC, he was over $2M without those.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There was a blurb that said that the preseason game constituted game checks and would be about $800K.  Thing is, they didn't multiply it by 3, so I am lost.  I know that there are several hundred thousand which are discretionary and the Jets can forgive, but IIRC, he was over $2M without those.

It’s my understanding that because Reddick is not on his rookie contract, none of these fines are discretionary or forgivable. Also pretty sure he’s rung up about $2M in daily fines plus the equivalent of three game checks, or roughly $4.5M total. 

22 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s my understanding that because Reddick is not on his rookie contract, none of these fines are discretionary or forgivable. Also pretty sure he’s rung up about $2M in daily fines plus the equivalent of three game checks, or roughly $4.5M total. 

The fines for missing camp and the games are not discretionary.  There are other fines.  Early on it was like $300K or something and they intimated that there were other fines the Jets were possibly adding that they could waive.  I don't think any of them ever indicated they weren't just referring to him not getting the workout bonus.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The fines for missing camp and the games are not discretionary.  There are other fines.  Early on it was like $300K or something and they intimated that there were other fines the Jets were possibly adding that they could waive.  I don't think any of them ever indicated they weren't just referring to him not getting the workout bonus.

I think the fine for missing mandatory minicamp is discretionary because there was discussion of them waiving it for Rodgers (they didn’t). Haven’t heard that any others are discretionary.

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Lynch got his replacement in the 7th round and got a 4th for his bust.

Douglas got his replacement via trade and the MetLife turf ended his season after four plays.

Fire the GM because he...installed the turf?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The CBA says - as someone on a veteran FA contract (just means as opposed to a rookie contract or a tagged FA) - there are mandatory fines of $50K per day missed PLUS one regular season game check per preseason game missed, and none of that is discretionary:

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@Gaffneycatch81

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/55c6cfa4-d9ed-4afb-93ca-2667cd229180/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

Top of page 249 = the rules for veterans:

image.png

• $50K/day for each training camp day missed = $700K total (I didn't add that up, but that's a number that got thrown around so I got lazy here)
  • 1 game check (1/17 of $14.25MM) for each preseason game missed = $838K x 3 = $2.5MM
  • plus with Reddick, he didn't show up to minicamp or OTAs so he surely also didn't get his $250K workout bonus

All-in that's about $3.5MM. 

...and to answer my own question that I asked @Doggin94it earlier today, while not explicitly stated, it sure looks strongly implied that they can't wiggle around reducing the fine by reallocating his contract terms after the fact. At the time he incurred these fines, that was his salary. I wish it was otherwise because then it would cost a lot less for the team to sweeten things for him, instead of the team basically paying his fine on the cap on top of any additional money Reddick would take home above his original $14.5MM -- they could've given him a million dollar bump to make him whole again, and now it has to be a $3.5MM bump to $18MM just to bring his take-home back to where things were in April. 

The only thing that's discretionary, I suppose, is if they felt like paying his $250K workout bonus, but that's a bad precedent itself. 

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The question is if you want or trust Douglas picking the next quarterback. 

I wasn't the intended recipient here but I do have thoughts.

If there's one thing that's been clear to me, it's that while Douglas is a very crafty and smart GM with contracts, player acquisitions and management, his talent scouting seems to be heavily biased towards defense. I'm not sure if this is because saleh, Ulbrich, etc have a lot of input or if JD is just more skilled there, but it's true. Except for guys that were widely considered the best in their draft class at their position (Wilson, Hall, AVT) JD has done poorly.

At this point, as long as the jets have a successful year or two ahead, I would gladly have JD stick around for the post Rodgers era. However, I think we need a better offensive support staff, both for scouting and post-draft development. Greg Knapp (may be rest in peace) was supposed to coach Wilson. Lafleur, assumably, had a significant hand in his selection. Things obviously didnt work out there, but if JD is going to draft another QB what I want to see is a highly experienced OC and QB coach on staff who participate in the scouting and interview processes for the next kid. Not Hackett, or another rookie OC, and not Saleh (outside the character aspect). JDs abysmal track record with offensive draft picks tells me that we need more experience there. I'd like him to keep managing the team but he needs to admit he has no idea how to draft a QB, or any offensive player that isn't a gimme. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I wasn't the intended recipient here but I do have thoughts.

If there's one thing that's been clear to me, it's that while Douglas is a very crafty and smart GM with contracts, player acquisitions and management, his talent scouting seems to be heavily biased towards defense. I'm not sure if this is because saleh, Ulbrich, etc have a lot of input or if JD is just more skilled there, but it's true. Except for guys that were widely considered the best in their draft class at their position (Wilson, Hall, AVT) JD has done poorly.

At this point, as long as the jets have a successful year or two ahead, I would gladly have JD stick around for the post Rodgers era. However, I think we need a better offensive support staff, both for scouting and post-draft development. Greg Knapp (may be rest in peace) was supposed to coach Wilson. Lafleur, assumably, had a significant hand in his selection. Things obviously didnt work out there, but if JD is going to draft another QB what I want to see is a highly experienced OC and QB coach on staff who participate in the scouting and interview processes for the next kid. Not Hackett, or another rookie OC, and not Saleh (outside the character aspect). JDs abysmal track record with offensive draft picks tells me that we need more experience there. I'd like him to keep managing the team but he needs to admit he has no idea how to draft a QB, or any offensive player that isn't a gimme. 

Ppl may think this is crazy, but... 

Jon Gruden just resurfaced on YouTube, and looks to be wanting to at least do SOMETHING football related... If I was JD, Saleh, whatever... I'd look into having him assist in scouting the next QB post Rodgers. Doesn't necessarily have to be an official coach or OC (not sure if he'd accept an OC role tbh) but if there's anyone out there not in a program that knows QBs... that dude knows offense and QBs. I think they should seriously consider looking into him in some sort of advisor role at the very least, before bringing the next OC in. Bc I think everyone knows (hopefully) that Hackett goes when Rodgers calls it a career. 

• Upvote 2

Ppl may think this is crazy, but... 
Jon Gruden just resurfaced on YouTube, and looks to be wanting to at least do SOMETHING football related... If I was JD, Saleh, whatever... I'd look into having him assist in scouting the next QB post Rodgers. Doesn't necessarily have to be an official coach or OC (not sure if he'd accept an OC role tbh) but if there's anyone out there not in a program that knows QBs... that dude knows offense and QBs. I think they should seriously consider looking into him in some sort of advisor role at the very least, before bringing the next OC in. Bc I think everyone knows (hopefully) that Hackett goes when Rodgers calls it a career. 
Hell no on Gruden. He can't build teams, he takes over teams that already has talent. He is abysmal at building up offensive talent and development.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!