New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

8 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Well, it does SOUND like a good trade to me, too. The fact that 31 other teams passed on it does make me wonder, though.

Did they get the opportunity to make the same trade though? I mean, does the GM advertise to all 31 other owners what they've been offered, and see if there are any takers? I get that in some cases there is a to and fro between interested teams, but it doesn't seem like it's the done thing to say "hey, I've got a 2026 3rd rounder on the table for Reddick, anyone want to bid higher before I take the deal?"

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Exactly, Reddick could've reported and his agent probably could’ve convinced JD to throw s few more bucks and incentives his way to keep him happy for this season. Reddick’s leverage was to play out his contract, have a great high profile year in a large media market and become a free agent for 2025. The only way this makes sense for Reddick is if he believes he is going to have a crap year and i don’t believe that is the case. Basically he is not smart at “business” and his agent is committing professional malpractice.

This is all speculation.  Reddick has no leverage playing on a one year prove it deal.  He can just as easily suffer a major injury and never see another dime. 

He had his single best season after, not before getting paid by the Eagles.  There is no indication that Reddick will dog it after getting paid.   If he gets hurt he has no NFL future.

• Ugh 1

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

“Huff is a part time player!”

The current over under on total Reddick snap count is currently sitting at .5. So there goes that argument.

I guess we'll really struggle on Monday when we can only line up 10 players on defense? ;-) 

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

At what point is the season forfeited for him and he has to play on his contract next season for the jets? For example can he come back week 17, collect one game check and be a free agent next season? Or, is there a point of no return for him?

He has to play 6 games to get credit for the season

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, you should just bend over backward every time a player throws a tantrum?  Not a very sound business tactic.

He has ZERO leverage here.  If he sits out the whole year, then he gets to throw another tantrum or just play the season out for the Jets.  The only one getting hurt here is Reddick.  Not sure his agent is doing what is best for him.   

Not every time.  But when you have a once in this century team truly capable of making a SB run - and haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.  Yes, now is the time to bend over backwards and give your team and fans the best chance possible at a championship.

This isn't the year to finally make a stand.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Repeating this ad infinitum does not make it a good idea. The franchise tag for an edge is $21M. He signed for $15M to be an every down player until he got to Philadelphia and they discovered that he’s not the three down player they hoped he’d be. So at $15M, they paid too much for what they’re getting, and you keep saying that the Jets paying 50% over that for a guy they know is a part time player is a good idea. It’s not. 

And the guy they replaced him with ghosted the team. So you are now down two players. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

I still can't believe that there are Jets fans that don't understand that Reddick has nothing to do with Huff.

Reddick is JFM's replacement. McDonald is Huff's.

But then people don't get to pick fault with JD over how he botched the entire DL and we'll suck this year as a result. ;-) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I still can't believe that there are Jets fans that don't understand that Reddick has nothing to do with Huff. It's small thinking based on the teams involved and "sacks".

Realistically though, Reddick is JFM's replacement and McDonald is Huff's.

Who led the team in sacks last year?

With Reddick playing who would be expected to lead the team in sacks this year? 

JFM was mostly strong against the run lacking dominant pass rushing skills.  That is not was Reddick is.  Reddick is far closer to Huff's skill set than JFM's.  While he's not a push over like Huff in the run game no one would call him stout.   He's a pass rushers.  That is not what JFM is.

There are no specific replacement.  Just a different dynamic. 

• More Ugh 2

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Repeating this ad infinitum does not make it a good idea. The franchise tag for an edge is $21M. He signed for $15M to be an every down player until he got to Philadelphia and they discovered that he’s not the three down player they hoped he’d be. So at $15M, they paid too much for what they’re getting, and you keep saying that the Jets paying 50% over that for a guy they know is a part time player is a good idea. It’s not. 

Fangio has said that when he was first in camp he wasn’t ready to be an every down player.  He also felt he would be an every down player this season.  

The Franchise tag can be used to negotiate a deal for less than franchise money.  Rarely do teams use the franchise tag with the intent of not negotiating a longer term deal at less than Franchise tag money.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I still can't believe that there are Jets fans that don't understand that Reddick has nothing to do with Huff. It's small thinking based on the teams involved and "sacks".

Realistically though, Reddick is JFM's replacement and McDonald is Huff's.

I see you going with the logic post here. 

Most will get it - some won't but they simply don;t want to.

Should add  about 5 pages though so there is always that.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Fangio has said that when he was first in camp he wasn’t ready to be an every down player.  He also felt he would be an every down player this season.  

The Franchise tag can be used to negotiate a deal for less than franchise money.  Rarely do teams use the franchise tag with the intent of not negotiating a longer term deal at less than Franchise tag money.  

Huff didn’t want to be here and the Jets didn’t want to sign him to a long term deal, so why would they do that? 

We’ll see if Huff becomes an every down player or not. So far he’s still not. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Why do people still think a franchise-tagged Huff would’ve shown up all offseason for free? If he was merely tagged, and hadn’t yet signed it (because he would still have rather gotten traded himself), then it’s all risk no reward showing up all summer. 

If a tagged player is holding out he’s not technically under contract. He’s supposed to risk his own Achilles injury (statistically most Achilles tears occur in preseason, btw) or blow out his knee, or whatever for training camp and preseason games? Fat chance, especially when he didn’t want to be here again as a mere DPR in the first place. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slats said:

Huff didn’t want to be here and the Jets didn’t want to sign him to a long term deal, so why would they do that? 

JD and Saleh made it clear they weren't going to sign Huff.  They drafted his replacement in round 1 last year after trading up to draft a DE the year before.  

The Huff didn't want to be here was a two way street.  We don't know which came first.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The preseason game fines can’t be forgiven. I posted the CBA clause.

Yea but I think they give it to charity.  Tax deductible.  He probably makes more after taxes with the fines because NJ?  Florida or Texas the fines actually matter. 

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed in this case the Jets clearly had moved on from him before the trade.  They didn't want him.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

JD and Saleh made it clear they weren't going to sign Huff.  They drafted his replacement in round 1 last year after trading up to draft a DE the year before.  

The Huff didn't want to be here was a two way street.  We don't know which came first.  

Either way, tagging Huff makes no sense. We could easily be having the same conversation we’re having now about Huff refusing to sign his tender and not showing up had they gone that route. The man certainly wouldn’t’ve been happy about it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not every time.  But when you have a once in this century team truly capable of making a SB run - and haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.  Yes, now is the time to bend over backwards and give your team and fans the best chance possible at a championship.

I agree with this. You are either all in or you aren’t. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why do people still think a franchise-tagged Huff would’ve shown up all offseason for free? If he was merely tagged, and hadn’t yet signed it (because he would still have rather gotten traded himself), then it’s all risk no reward showing up all summer. 

If a tagged player is holding out he’s not technically under contract. He’s supposed to risk his own Achilles injury (statistically most Achilles tears occur in preseason, btw) or blow out his knee, or whatever for training camp and preseason games? Fat chance, especially when he didn’t want to be here again as a mere DPR in the first place. 

because it supports the narrative that JD sucks - needs to be fired and who only knows who they want to replace him with.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The preseason game fines can’t be forgiven. I posted the CBA clause.

This is kinda big, I didn’t realize this. That’s obviously something the Jets can dangle. $2.4M isn’t exactly chump change. It’s the carrot and the stick. Come in soon, we’ll waive those fines, wait too long and that’s off the table. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And the guy they replaced him with ghosted the team. So you are now down two players. 

They traded up for Johnson in 22 to replace Huff and took Mcdonald last year in anticipations of him replacing the guy JD traded Huff for.

3D chess.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

And they did.. And they traded for him... Now he is throwing a hiss fit but he still has to play.... NO MATTER WHAT.... so all this quabling about should he get more is irrelevant... He has to play at least 6 games and playoffs... That in it's self is worth a 3rd rounder in 2026...

Everyone is acting like this team can't win without him... But he has to be here for the stretch run... Period stop. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

No it doesn't.  He's record does.

his record does - no doubt and no argument.

Can't play what if but if Rodgers does not go down after 4 plays last year - I highly doubt the angst against JD is this strong by some.

Sure JD's record would only be 3-5 games better, but most likely the Jets land a playoff spot and JD is viewed differently.

He has had his misses and they have been glaring but he is the best GM this team has had in the last 40 years. That might not be saying much, but we have seen much much worse.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not concerned. This was a risky deal, sure, but it was a very low cost risk. They will give up a 2026 third round pick (so they’ve spent nothing so far on him), and as long as he stays away his salary doesn’t count against the cap and starts dropping this Monday. So you, Dick Cimini, and the usual band of ****-stirrers can clutch your collective pearls, but having a player you gave up nothing for not reporting is not as damaging to the team as you keep trying to make it out to be. 

I’m not worried about the defense. They do defense well here. They developed Huff from a UDFA, Quincy Williams from the scrap heap, etc., I have no concerns there. The Jets have JJ, McDonald, and McKinley, to go along with Clemons and the new UDFAs (and Quinnen and Kinlaw… ). With a secondary that’s generally considered to be the best in the league, I expect the Jets to have little trouble disrupting other teams’ passers. 

And Reddick has to report at some point, or he’s under the Jets control again next year. And he has to play well when he does report if he’s really hoping to get one last deal as he turns 31 years old. I don’t think there’s many people around the league who sympathize with his position. I’d imagine most believe he’s foolishly overplayed his hand, and there are probably a number of teams already who wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. He’s hurt himself badly, and the only way to start to undue that damage is for him to demonstrate what he can do on the field. And he’ll have to do that in a Jets uniform this year. Whenever he shows up he’d better be a net positive, and if he is, he’ll potentially net the Jets an additional 2026 third round pick.

Getting six weeks (at a minimum) + (hopefully) the playoffs out of Reddick for a swap of third rounders and maybe $5M in salary still isn’t a bad deal. But please feel free to keep telling us the sky is falling. It gives Max lotsa clicks. 

The Douglas m-o (except at QB, lol) has been to not make a spring offseason gamble on a young player panning out after a weak rookie season. The knowledge he’s armed with now in early Sept is different - of course, greater - than the knowledge he was armed with in late March, early April, or other intervals before or at the start of training camp:

• Becton had what was seen as a generally strong rookie season (with Fant the weaker of the two tackles that year). Instead of banking on that pair improving and with Becton hardly inspiring confidence that spring - didn’t he come in to OTAs at 370-380 after tapping out multiple times in between his good play as a rookie?) - Douglas jumped on adding Moses when he became available. Also even though he was sure to draft an interior linemen in a strong OL draft, he still added Dan Feeney so any rookie he drafted wouldn’t be forced to start.
  • Mims had a weak rookie season. Despite the hopes and assumptions of improved sophomore play by the fans, he surprisingly drafted another WR at the top of round 2 (and claimed he was targeting that same WR as early as the team’s original slot traded to the Vikings). 
  • Moore didn’t set the world afire as a rookie either; they weren’t ready to blame it all on Zach Wilson (unfortunately, lol), and Corey Davis was injured half that prior season, too. Rather than bet on that returning 1-2 punch (and/or for Mims to wake up) and merely sign a lower-investment WR3, he sought another WR1 type instead. Recall that he didn’t simply draft Wilson, though. His initial preference was to trade for proven all-pro Tyreek Hill. When Hill chose Miami instead, his next preferred move was to trade for proven all-pro Deebo Samuel. When that trade didn’t happen either, only then did he stay in his slot and draft whichever WR fell to him at #10 (Garrett Wilson), and again reluctantly sign up for starting a rookie (after neither of his prior two higher pick WRs panned out as hoped). But even that rookie, Wilson was 1 of 3 already known starters, not just 1 of 2. 
  • JJII had a weak rookie season, and fans alike saw him as the other one who didn’t pan out, among the big four from the Jets’ 2022 draft. Despite what seemed the obvious cap move to get out of an overpriced contract for ‘22 starter Lawson, whose $15MM/yr guaranteed money was now in the past, he shockingly re-upped him at $9MM or so fully guaranteed for a 3rd season. If he knew JJII was going to take this big leap forward - never mind if he knew Lawson would be too injured or sucky to play - then the redone contract with Lawson never happens.
  • Hall was absolute balls as a rookie while it lasted, but had a major injury and it didn’t last. He drafted Abanikanda who had a weak rookie spring/summer, and MC1 was coming off another letdown season himself. So he traded for Cook at $7MM plus incentives rather than rely upon a rookie or MC1 to split carries with Hall until Hall was ready to be a full-go. 
  • McDonald had a weak rookie season. Drafting him was probably in no small part inspired by Huff turning down an extension as a DPR, was too expensive to tag him (plus players like that are angry not happy about getting tagged and they hold out). Then after promises to bulk up in the offseason, McDonald shows up 228 pounds soaking wet. So instead of just heading into August with just McDonald as an unproven DPR, regardless of his recent draft slot, he trades for Reddick. Also this all further coincides with JFM refusing a to accept a (justifiable) major pay cut here before that trade iirc.

As far as what contract terms “everyone knew” Reddick wouldn’t play under, again JFM boasted that he refused to take any pay cut. Then they trade him away, and immediately he accepts a major pay cut from his new team. There was more indication given by Reddick that he wouldn’t hold out than there was by JFM that he would accept a pay cut. 

Anyway all this adds up to his general pattern: reluctance to gamble on an unproven young starter (after Zach blew up in his face, and letdowns from Mims, and Becton, and Moore, …). Months later by August he’s armed with more knowledge than before, so just because he made the trade for Reddick in late March doesn’t mean he’d still make that trade in late August (even aside from holding out). It’s also likely he didn’t figure he could just trade for Reddick in August if things weren’t going well with the Huff/JFM replacements; anyone would figure Reddick’s 2024 team would’ve been figured to be already settled long before that, so you trade for the player while you can, especially when the asking price is so little (a future 3rd Douglas surely figured he could recoup as a comp pick in that same draft).

Now?

I think of course they’d like Reddick on the team, but they don’t think they need him like before. McDonald isn’t built for 3 downs yet, but should be at least adequate as a DPR, and McKinley (still only 27 himself) has been a huge surprise, so the anxiety level isn’t the same as it was in late March. Reddick playing the season is still the preference, but - like missing Lawson in ‘23 - all isn’t necessarily lost without him, as there’s a good chance someone steps up (as Huff did without Lawson).

Allegedly in February or very early March Philadelphia offered Reddick 3 years at $22MM (in a low-tax home state, mind you), but that wasn’t enough to meet his $25-28MM/year demand and he turned it down. THEN they signed Huff. Then after no one comes to the table with a trade offer for Reddick, willing to meet those contract demands, Reddick turns down a bandaid bump from the Jets in April and holds out with the Jets instead of at least holding in to avoid several million in mandatory fines.

His poor judgment on his worth, and further poor judgment on his negotiating strategy, has cost him a preposterous amount of money. Aside from the big contract he didn’t take with the Eagles, that you can bet he now wishes he accepted, he’s also racked up so much in fines with the Jets it’s hard to see how to give him a salary bump without shelling out $10MM to Reddick so he can collect another $5MM (with the other $5MM going to fines, and half the $5MM he does keep going to taxes). FFS he’d need a $5MM pay raise just to get where he was before he held out. That’s all aside from setting precedents Douglas doesn’t want to set before negotiations with other young starters who’ve been here. 

OK this was longer than even I realized it’d be, lol.

• Upvote 4