Former NFL GM Says Haason Reddick to Report This Weekend

Reddick Game

One former NFL GM has offered a glimmer of hope regarding Haason Reddick ending his Jets holdout this weekend.  Former Browns GM Mike Lombardi, speaking on VSIN Live, said Reddick “is due to come in sometime today or tomorrow”.  Reddick claims his source is a member of Reddick’s camp.

Reddick’s holdout is one that Lombardi referred to as one of the worst in NFL history, saying it’s “stupider” than the LeVeon Bell holdout.  With Reddick due to hit free agency after this season, Lombardi believes he was already looking at a huge pay day if he’d managed another double-digit sack season.

Lombardi, hardly a fan or advocate of the Jets, has actually had some harsh takes directed at Reddick and his holdout for quite some time now.

As far as his availability for Monday night?  Lombardi says he believes there is “no chance” Reddick suits up against the San Francisco 49ers.

The post Former NFL GM Says Haason Reddick to Report This Weekend appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Very happy he'll be here but why couldn't he have reported in time for week 1?  Maybe he was hoping they'd think he really meant business if he extended his holdout to the regular season.  Or maybe he just wanted to skip training camp, regardless of how much money it cost him.

Btw, anyone know if he get paid for week 1 if he reports tomorrow but doesn't play?

Our team is better with him reporting, our defense is much better and our DL may be the best in the conference. I don’t like how he managed the situation but it cost him $5 million. I hope by mid year the holdout is a distant memory.

If true this is excellent news.

It benefits BOTH the team and the player to have him be energized and fully engaged in an excellent audition for his next contract in 2025.

Hopefully the Jets can help him get that big deal somewhere else while he helps us to a deep playoff run this year.

I think the agent has some repair work to do on his reputation. 

<edited to add>

I spoke too soon apparently

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Very happy he'll be here but why couldn't he have reported in time for week 1?  Maybe he was hoping they'd think he really meant business if he extended his holdout to the regular season.  Or maybe he just wanted to skip training camp, regardless of how much money it cost him.

Btw, anyone know if he get paid for week 1 if he reports tomorrow but doesn't play?

Accuracy or inaccuracy for week 1 aside, it wouldn't surprise me to see him walk through the door in the last 5 minutes of eligibility for the week whenever it is he shows up -- the idea being that he gets paid for the week, but in practical terms it's really too late to get him caught up enough to activate him for that week. IOW get paid for 1 game for doing nothing. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Accuracy or inaccuracy for week 1 aside, it wouldn't surprise me to see him walk through the door in the last 5 minutes of eligibility for the week whenever it is he shows up -- the idea being that he gets paid for the week, but in practical terms it's really too late to get him caught up enough to activate him for that week. IOW get paid for 1 game for doing nothing. 

Right, I could see that too.  I just hope he plays hard for us while he's here and he doesn't fake an injury to get out of playing any more games than he has to.  I get that he fully sees this as a business and I can't blame him one bit for that.  This is his career.   I just hope he'll give us his best effort when he's here.  Ideally he's motivated to play great for us so that, next offseason, he can try to get his final big contract.  

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right, I could see that too.  I just hope he plays hard for us while he's here and he doesn't fake an injury to get out of playing any more games than he has to.  I get that he fully sees this as a business and I can't blame him one bit for that.  This is his career.   I just hope he'll give us his best effort when he's here.  Ideally he's motivated to play great for us so that, next offseason, he can try to get his final big contract.  

He’s going to fake an injury for a team that’s at least an early-season favorite to be a contender, and then seek a $25-28MM/yr contract with surely at least two seasons fully guaranteed? That’s already after a relative down season (regardless of the bad-DC / beyond-his-control reason why).

• It’s really bad optics for a new UFA mega-contract if it’s viewed as a blatantly fake injury.
  • It’s really bad optics for a new UFA mega-contract if it’s viewed as a legitimate injury.

Impossible to say for sure how or when he’ll handle showing up after so badly overplaying his hand, but if/when he shows up he’ll play hard and if he gets hurt he won’t be faking it.

• Post of the Week 1