Defensive holding calls on 3rd down what are we doing NFL

They always start off a year with certain "points of emphasis" and you see a lot of calls on borderline stuff. Illegal formation got called, what, 6 or 7 times in these two games?

First few games you've got to play it much more "by the book". I hope our OTs, and Sauce, take note especially, based on what we've seen so far.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

They always start off a year with certain "points of emphasis" and you see a lot of calls on borderline stuff. Illegal formation got called, what, 6 or 7 times in these two games?

First few games you've got to play it much more "by the book". I hope our OTs, and Sauce, take note especially, based on what we've seen so far.

Any on KC though?

• Upvote 2

Any on KC though?
They got rid of Kadarius Toney, didn't they?

I wasn't watching closely enough - did KC line up illegally and not get called? I think the issue I saw more was what looked like early movement by their tackles.

On a vaguely related note, Philly also seemed to have a lot of movement going on with their OL. Not moving their feet, but lots of body movement that looked questionable to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

They got rid of Kadarius Toney, didn't they? emoji12.png

I wasn't watching closely enough - did KC line up illegally and not get called? I think the issue I saw more was what looked like early movement by their tackles.

On a vaguely related note, Philly also seemed to have a lot of movement going on with their OL. Not moving their feet, but lots of body movement that looked questionable to me.

This is interesting, if a bit long-winded in the middle.  Shows how BAL was actually lining up much more illegally than KC in a few situations and explains the illegal formation rule well.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The referees choose the winners and losers every week. Last night's game was unwatchable at points -- the Packers got robbed. 

They certainly helped the Eagles on their final drive. Why, who knows. Those were not close to being penalties. 

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Was the second one not a hold? Barkley was getting grabbed. 

I can see how the first one in real time is mistaken for a hold. Human error. Sucks. 

Im sure Jets will get a bunch Monday night. 

No reason to throw a flag on either there. Stop throwing flags in general, but especially on third down. Whatever the dlineman was doing with Barkley had no impact on Hurts scramble. He’s within 5 yards of the LOS anyways.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The new kickoff is a gimmick that will suck and we’ll be back to the normal one next year.

Move the kickoff back to the 20. Also, it might have worked in the other league, but those kickers are no where as good as the guys in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Move the kickoff back to the 20. Also, it might have worked in the other league, but those kickers are no where as good as the guys in the NFL. 

Yeah. Every kicker can kick the ball into the stands. If you want a kickoff, just move the ball back. It used to be at the 30 yard line.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah. Every kicker can kick the ball into the stands. If you want a kickoff, just move the ball back. It used to be at the 30 yard line.

The other thing that is so obvious. It takes the players about 2-3 games to get fully back to speed but the Refs only need one series in game one to be right back to mid season form….. putrid.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The other thing that is so obvious. It takes the players about 2-3 games to get fully back to speed but the Refs only need one series in game one to be right back to mid season form….. putrid.

With all the tinkering the league is doing to the game (and mostly for the worse) they haven’t done anything with the officiating. High school games are more watchable than what we saw last night with the officials. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

The referees choose the winners and losers every week. Last night's game was unwatchable at points -- the Packers got robbed. 

Yet the gambling emphasis is on the players

i have always felt the potential of a player impacting/ throwing a game is minuscule compared to refs

since refs are independent, who monitors them?

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ref ball:

Won the Eagles the game. The worst penalty in sports and it makes you wonder sometimes what’s going on. 

the 1st video was bad, but the 2nd was clearly holding. 97 stopped Barkley from running downfield.

• Upvote 1

i have always felt the potential of a player impacting/ throwing a game is minuscule compared to refs
I just laugh at the predictable story lines where promoted teams magically win games they are losing almost always due to a phantom flag ... OR ... A change in how the penalties had been called all game to extend a dying drive ... It's all about viewership ... The teams that draw the most viewers will win the most games... No questions asked. I agree players an coaches are less likely to throw games than a ref to makes calls lean into the wind.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Nothing impacts the game more than extending a drive on a defensive holding penalty. That call should be banned outright. I’d rather let players hold in a football game than have a ref decide the outcome. 

That’s not a penalty. He was getting blocked. Plus, it’s 3rd down.

yes but its just like when the OL gets called for holding. once he gets passed you you have to let him go. he held Barkleys arm that he did a 360 to get away.

Even if it's not a conspiracy, there is bias in every game, ESPECIALLY with QBs. Look at all the Jets/Pats games where our pass rushers got flagged for ruffing the passer (on Brady), while the Pats Dline about killed our 'young, unknown' QBs all. game. long.

Look back at our KC game last year. We should have won that game. On a critical play late in the game, Mahomes is running for his life and a Chiefs O-lineman about strangles and tackles 11 Jermain Johnson, right next to Mahomes. Something that's called 'holding' 99 out of 100 times. Unless that '1' time involves NFL Goat Mahomes getting away and running for a critical 1st down.

• Upvote 2

Back to 'throwing' games. If a ref is on the take, the best way to throw a game is by NOT throwing a flag, helping the team he's supposed to help. Fans are upset when a flag isn't thrown but throwing a BS flag that turns the game gets A TON more scrutiny. 

And a ref on the take doesn't have to change the outcome of the game, just the outcome of the final score (see: Vegas).

Nothing impacts the game more than extending a drive on a defensive holding penalty. That call should be banned outright. I’d rather let players hold in a football game than have a ref decide the outcome. 

It is frustrating but then you will have Db’s blatantly hold guys when they have a step with no recourse 

possibly an alternative is no automatic first down but I’m not sure how that would go over