Complete this sentence: "If the Jets get beat by the Titans this Sunday, ......................"

41 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we lose this Sunday the season is over (yes…yes it is).

Obviously, not mathematically and things “could” turn around but let’s be real…0-2 hole and we can’t beat a team like the Titans with a rookie head coach and a garbage QB then what else is there to say?

WEEK 2 = MUST-WIN!!!

Texans started 0-2

Rams opened 3-6

Packers opened 2-5 then 3-6

Tampa started out 4-7

Buffalo was just 6-6 heading into December (and 4 of those wins came against the Zach Jets in the middle of a 5-game losing streak, the Josh McDaniels Raiders, the Commanders who lost 12 of their next 14 games, and the Giants during their 2-8 start; among their losses included the Jets in the game they lost Rodgers for the season, the otherwise 3-13 Patriots, and the Broncos who only beat QB-less teams the rest of the way) — they made the playoffs and were leading the SB champs in the 4th quarter in the division round.

In no way is it preferred to start out 0-2, but it doesn’t condemn the season either. Especially this year when the best of the rest of the division is the weakest it’s been in some time.

All that said, of course I prefer they don’t lose, and even though there are teams that start slow and then get hot later & make the playoffs, it’d be a justified concern if they lost to the ****ing Titans.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He got his chances.  He was 23-25 in Miami and his final 2 years were decidedly worse than his first:  10-6, WC exit first year, followed by 6-10 and 7-9.  Most guys don't get a 2nd chance as a HC, and he did. 

The fact that he's been unemployable post-Jets despite being only 46 years old and Peyton Manning's ringing endorsement, lol, further establishes that he's simply not an NFL-caliber HC and probably not even a good NFL OC.  After all, he was only in the OC role for 3 years, 2 with the Broncos and 1 with the Bears - not exactly a large sample and he had Peyton friggin Manning for 2 of them.  Peyton doesn't need an OC.

Gase could get another NFL job.  I think he may have had family issues or something and he wanted to live off of his Woody contract while he was still getting paid.  So, as opposed to some that don't like to not work, Gase was good with it.  

The NFL is a network business, and my guess is that his network ain't that great.  

But if he wanted to move his family and to a good college or even another NFL team as a QBC maybe to start, I think he could get that job.  

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we lose this Sunday the season is over (yes…yes it is).

Obviously, not mathematically and things “could” turn around but let’s be real…0-2 hole and we can’t beat a team like the Titans with a rookie head coach and a garbage QB then what else is there to say?

• it was always highly likely that the Jets were starting at 0-1.  The problem is how bad they looked losing.
  • If the lose this week, the problem is not so much that they are 0-2 (which is somewhat of a problem), but that they lose to a team that no one expects makes the playoffs.
    • If the Jets look good and still lose, maybe there is hope.
    • If the Jets look bad and still lose, I think things could unravel.  
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Texans started 0-2
Rams opened 3-6
Packers opened 2-5 then 3-6
Tampa started out 4-7
Buffalo was just 6-6 heading into December (and 4 of those wins came against the Zach Jets in the middle of a 5-game losing streak, the Josh McDaniels Raiders, the Commanders who lost 12 of their next 14 games, and the Giants during their 2-8 start; among their losses included the Jets in the game they lost Rodgers for the season, the otherwise 3-13 Patriots, and the Broncos who only beat QB-less teams the rest of the way) — they made the playoffs and were leading the SB champs in the 4th quarter in the division round.

In no way is it preferred to start out 0-2, but it doesn’t condemn the season either. Especially this year when the best of the rest of the division is the weakest it’s been in some time.
All that said, of course I prefer they don’t lose, and even though there are teams that start slow and then get hot later & make the playoffs, it’d be a justified concern if they lost to the ****ing Titans.
Teams that start 0-2 have an 11% chance to make the playoffs.

In the last five years, only three of the 39 teams that started 0-2 (7.7%) went on to make the playoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • it was always highly likely that the Jets were starting at 0-1.  The problem is how bad they looked losing.
  • If the lose this week, the problem is not so much that they are 0-2 (which is somewhat of a problem), but that they lose to a team that no one expects makes the playoffs.
    • If the Jets look good and still lose, maybe there is hope.
    • If the Jets look bad and still lose, I think things could unravel.  

I agree with most of this except the “If the Jets look good and still lose,  maybe there is hope.”

That sentiment was reserved for the 49ers game. If they looked good and somehow lost by 10 in the final minutes to SF I think that the outlook would be much better. But they looked BAD, LOST, for most of the game, and their best unit got demolished. 

If we look good and lose to the Titans then we’re in big trouble. We need a win, and hopefully convincingly. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree with most of this except the “If the Jets look good and still lose,  maybe there is hope.”

That sentiment was reserved for the 49ers game. If they looked good and somehow lost by 10 in the final minutes to SF I think that the outlook would be much better. But they looked BAD, LOST, for most of the game, and their best unit got demolished. 

If we look good and lose to the Titans then we’re in big trouble. We need a win, and hopefully convincingly. 

I agree. It would be impossible to “look good yet lose” to the Titans.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Tough week for me. 

I just found out a friend from graduate school committed suicide. In total shock. The guy had a wife and baby at home. Very successful. No hint of anything wrong. Just brutal. 

I could really use a nice distraction this weekend. 

Sorry for your loss. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Alka said:

For me, "If the Jets get beat by the Titans this Sunday, then Woody Johnson should think about firing Robert Saleh, and making our Defensive Coordinator the interim head coach."

Yes, 0-1 is nothing to get bent out of shape, but this is a "win now" team, and there must be a sense of urgency, before the season gets out of control.

I think it would take more than one more loss but yeah I'm with you.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I get the criticism of Saleh but to just say he’s the worst like we didn’t just have Gase at the helm a few years ago is absurd. 

Saleh will either get enough wins this year or he’s gone. Simple as that. 

"Then we can tell him we love him, and give him a big hug."

12 hours ago, Alka said:

Ulbrich had a top 5 defense last year.  Do you blame Ulrich for letting Huff walk, letting JFM walk, and getting rid of Al Woods?

No, you have to go where the buck stops.  It stops with JD and with Robert Saleh.  They are in charge.  I will take my chances and put Ulbrich in charge, and see what he can do this year.  If the season continues to fall down, then he's gone after the season.

The bold is what is driving me crazy as we speak. I've  been on the JD bandwagon despite some major missteps but this here might be the straw....etc.  

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Teams that start 0-2 have an 11% chance to make the playoffs.

In the last five years, only three of the 39 teams that started 0-2 (7.7%) went on to make the playoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

That’s a loaded stat because most teams that start 0-2 are terrible in the first place. IOW a team starts 0-2 if they’re terrible; they’re not necessarily terrible because they started 0-2. 

Sick people run a fever. People don’t get a fever and that’s what makes them sick.

It’s a 17-game season. If they don’t make the playoffs it won’t be because they lost both instead of just one of the first two games. It’ll be because they suck.

• Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Douglas drafted the OROY and DROY in the same draft.

He pulled a king's ransom for "Prez".

He's a HOF executive compared to Macc and Idzik.

You can't win in the NFL without a real head coach.

If they want to fire him because he hired Saleh, that's totally fair though.

I believe he should at least be able to ATTEMPT to hire Saleh's replacement w someone more qualified. A real HC would be winning with this team. 

9 hours ago, TNJETFAN said:

It’s time to worry. Not panic, but worry. 
Start 0-3 then it’s time to hit the panic button imo. 

0-3 Saleh absolutely MUST be fired. I will be even more livid if thats not the case than I was to see them completely give up when #8 went down, didnt even TRY. You CANNOT waste this year with Aaron Rodgers. And Hackett absolutely cannot be promoted either. IDK what the answer is, but all I do know, if they start 0-3 Saleh better be shown the door. 

• Upvote 1