Belichick takes swipe at Jets for treatment of Darnold

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold never had a chance here, not even a remote chance.

Idiot (and this is being kind) mccagnan drafted like 3 oline in 5 years before drafting his franchise QB.

We had no oline, a center who could not snap the ball at all.  Terrible offensive coaches.   Zero weapons.

He was throwing to jeff smith , malone and hogan a guy that after being like our #1 or #2 wr due to injuties here was playing pro lacrosse a year or so later.

Whether Darnold turns out good long term for minny or not who knows but the way he was handed was a total disgrace.

Then to compound the issue instead of sticking with him one more year and drafting premium player (jamar chase, penei sewell) the jets draft zach wilson.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Two sports talk radio hosts were talking about Darnold in his second season on the Jets. One was lementing that Darnold was proof that the Jets have no idea how to develop  a QB. The other said, if you were trying to sabotage a QB, would you do anything different than what the Jets are doing to Darnold. The other one said no. 

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Who?

The GM was still there.  When presented with an opportunity to select another high draft pick on a QB, the Jets traded him before the draft.  Then, "with the second pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Zach Wilson, QB BYU".  

I am sure there were 'people' that liked him.  They did not matter.  The people that did, did not see enough in him.

Actually, the stories were that the Jets were torn on continuing with Sam or trading him and starting over.  Wilson was a cluster****, but Darnold was in his last year.  The way they approached 2021, it was obviously seen as a developmental year.  I don't think they felt they could make up their mind on all that money.  They preferred to reset the clock on the contract and obviously chose the wrong horse.

I wanted to keep Darnold to trade down from #2.  That haul would have been sweet.  OTOH, people seem to forget that the pick they got for Darnold (with a little sweetener) turned into Breece Hall.  

The Jets didn't **** over Sam Darnold.  They ****ed themselves over.  Maccagnan sucked and did not know how to construct a team.  He traded for and signed guys like Beechum, Clady and Carpenter for the line.  He gave a ton of money to Enunwa when he was about to be physically retired.  Traded for Kearse and drafted ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen.  These guys were the types of bargain refill the roster types that Douglas has been trying to get, but Maccagnan didn't get the special players needed to prop those guys up and what should have been interchangeable depth was all we had.  

Everybody liked Darnold but the Jets, but nobody gave him a job.  The Pathers and 49ers passed on keeping him and the Vikings were so in on him that they traded up to draft McCarthy.  **** this scumbag.  He did a great job developing Mac Jones, Jarrett Stidham and Bailey Zappe.  My ******* hero.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

No names were released publicly, but again, widely reported that there were high level discussions on which way to go and some spoke up in favor of keeping Sam.  Have read where some claim Saleh was in Sam's corner but not something we can verify.

Obviously Joe D. was not a Sam guy.

Fair enough.  Clearly, Joe D did not like him. I think the Jordan Love path should be looked at for 5th year players that your not sure on. Decline option, but extend him so gets his money for the first contract. Let them prove it.  Then extend him for $$$$$. Patriots picked up a 5th year option on Isiah Wynn.  He did enough toget another paycheck.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, the stories were that the Jets were torn on continuing with Sam or trading him and starting over.  Wilson was a cluster****, but Darnold was in his last year.  The way they approached 2021, it was obviously seen as a developmental year.  I don't think they felt they could make up their mind on all that money.  They preferred to reset the clock on the contract and obviously chose the wrong horse.

I wanted to keep Darnold to trade down from #2.  That haul would have been sweet.  OTOH, people seem to forget that the pick they got for Darnold (with a little sweetener) turned into Breece Hall.  

The Jets didn't **** over Sam Darnold.  They ****ed themselves over.  Maccagnan sucked and did not know how to construct a team.  He traded for and signed guys like Beechum, Clady and Carpenter for the line.  He gave a ton of money to Enunwa when he was about to be physically retired.  Traded for Kearse and drafted ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen.  These guys were the types of bargain refill the roster types that Douglas has been trying to get, but Maccagnan didn't get the special players needed to prop those guys up and what should have been interchangeable depth was all we had.  

Everybody liked Darnold but the Jets, but nobody gave him a job.  The Pathers and 49ers passed on keeping him and the Vikings were so in on him that they traded up to draft McCarthy.  **** this scumbag.  He did a great job developing Mac Jones, Jarrett Stidham and Bailey Zappe.  My ******* hero.

I fully realize Beli should not be casting stones.  The Patriots specifically him f'd Mac.  Now, he is not as gifted as Darnold. 

All things being equal, if Mac replicated his rookie year he was probably looking at Daniel Jones money.  Worth it? Nope. I am kind of glad Beli dicked it up.

I just can't see paying a middle of the pack guy that much.  I get the decision to move on.  

6 hours ago, doitny said:

thats an interesting situation. if Darnold plays really well and they make the playoffs does Minnesota just let him go because they drafted that kid at 10? or do they trade him and keep Sam? 

Boy, that sure would be a good problem for a team to have, wouldn't it?

• Haha 1

Rest assured.
If Zach Wilson somehow pans out 10 years from now, your dedication to the cause shall not be forgotten
I'm remaining silent
. But I was part of the congregation for both ... I want to keep Sam and trade the pick .. then got behind Zach when he became the obvious selection ... I would laugh my literal ass off if they turn into top 10 QBs ... Its a long shot .. so my ass seems pretty safe ... ...
for now

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah it wasn't quite as simple as Darnold or Zach, though in broad strokes it was that. They had to decide on Darnold's 5th year option the same offseason they traded him. Carolina trading for Darnold, and then exercising his 5th year option on top of that, set the stage for getting another HC and GM fired. That decision to guarantee Darnold some $19MM on his 5th year was resoundingly laughed at here as though it was textbook benightedness. 

Sometimes there are no smart choices: choose between one (then) known incompetent QB or take the chances on another (now) known incompetent QB. Usually when you take a shot on a QB's upside and dismiss the downside you get Zach, Lance, etc. Sometimes, though, teams get Mahomes or Josh Allen, and they look wicked smaht in hindsight.

Most of Darnold's TDs this year are throwing to the likes of an open Jefferson with no one in front of him yards of him or no one within 5 yards of him outright. Not all of them - it's not like he literally couldn't throw a football years before, even when he was mostly failing here - but watching the Vikings game yesterday he could make a sandwich and then take his time eating it on most of his snaps. Two of the three teams he's faced have crap pass defenses (I mean even Zach Wilson torched the Texans ffs), and the SF game's numbers were chiefly driven by one long pass to JJ who'd burned a couple guys by multiple yards, with Jefferson adding half the play's yardage with YAC that included juking two DBs in the open field, running another 47 yards with the rock. The other TD was a 10-yarder with no defender within 10 yards of fill-in starter Nailor -- a TD Tim Boyle could've tossed with ease, throwing lefty. Other than those two passes, the rest was vintage Darnold: a pick, 2 fumbles, and took 3 sacks.

Just saying Jefferson makes anyone look competent in small sample sizes. Josh Dobbs is freaking awful and had 5 games with 100+ QB ratings last year. Nick Mullens is even worse and - yes, along with a several picks - averaged 370 yards and 2 TDs in his 3 starts. Jefferson is freaking incredible and what you repeatedly hear from announcers every week is a play on wondering how it is that Jefferson keeps getting so open. 

On the plus-side for Darnold, his job should get even easier in time, as he's doing most of this without Addison (missed 2 games) & Hockenson (missed all 3).

It's the best stretch of his career, so good for him, but he was a turnover machine coming out of college, too. All these guys have good enough physical tools - even the busts - and some guys take a couple years to straighten out & some take several. Darnold - like Geno before him - took several. Easy to forget he was drafted 6 years ago, and GMs get fired waiting for turnarounds that (statistically) are unusual to occur after such awful beginnings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Fair enough.  Clearly, Joe D did not like him. I think the Jordan Love path should be looked at for 5th year players that your not sure on. Decline option, but extend him so gets his money for the first contract. Let them prove it.  Then extend him for $$$$$. Patriots picked up a 5th year option on Isiah Wynn.  He did enough toget another paycheck.

I fully realize Beli should not be casting stones.  The Patriots specifically him f'd Mac.  Now, he is not as gifted as Darnold. 

All things being equal, if Mac replicated his rookie year he was probably looking at Daniel Jones money.  Worth it? Nope. I am kind of glad Beli dicked it up.

I just can't see paying a middle of the pack guy that much.  I get the decision to move on.  

You really think there was something there with Mac Jones?  I called him out as being overrated his 1st year, even after he put up wins and good numbers.  I said they'd probably dump him after year 2.  IIRC, that happened after year 3.   

Mac doesn't have the tools.  He's a form of Chad Pennington (who actually had a surprising amount of success for his ability, but was never going to win the bigger games).

You really think there was something there with Mac Jones?  I called him out as being overrated his 1st year, even after he put up wins and good numbers.  I said they'd probably dump him after year 2.  IIRC, that happened after year 3.   
Mac doesn't have the tools.  He's a form of Chad Pennington (who actually had a surprising amount of success for his ability, but was never going to win the bigger games).

Chad was a franchise qb before the injuries

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Does any reasonable thinking jets fan not think this franchise completely screwed him over? The longer you watch the game, the more you realize that the destination may be more important than the skill set in determining if a qb will make it or not. Darnold was arguably put in the worst possible situation a top 5 pick has been put in over the last decade. I for one am happy to see Darnold was strong enough to not let his early failures destroy his career. Outside of the game vs us, I hope he crushes it this season.

He was a turnover machine in college. He was a turnover machine in the NFL. He didn’t have it great but his 2020 year was so bad, he had to go.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app