At this point I'm convinced

The only way to fix this is to take it down to brick and mortar.

Fire everyone associated with this team to include people in the periphery.  Anyone who you can't fire, give them an opportunity to leave or let them know things going forward will be handled differently.

Any players, coaches who wish to leave, find a way to allow it to happen, team friendly terms or not.

Change the name/mascot/colors of the team.  Remove any history of the Jets from the team's premises.

Ownership must allow for the football operations to be a separate entity and only intercede at the bequest of the president of football operations.

I would suggest that a separate stadium go with this rebuild but like aforementioned items above, it's a pie in the sky dream.

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

So the fans are running the team ??? In corporate/business terms, that is called "management by influence".  And all organizations that come to be run that way fail.  

I have never doubted that Woody is a decent person.  None of my criticism of him has had anything to do with his virtues.

As an administrator of the Jets, he's been a disaster.  That includes who he's chosen to hire to fill that role and how he's interacted and influenced them.

Seems like a pretty fair restatement of what I said.  I would add that the way he has chosen to run the team has had an influence on who is available to be hired to fill positions

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

**** me, this is going to be a long 3-4 months. years.

Fixed.  

This is not just about being screwed for this season, but as you and others in this thread have pointed out, what quality GM/Coach combo is going to want to be here.  We have given up day 2 picks for the next two seasons, we have pushed millions of cap dollars into the future with void years.  We went all in on this season and it is failing beyond even the most pessimistic fans expectations. 

Going to be several lean years to come.

• Upvote 2
  • En Fuego 1

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

You could wipe this team out and pick ANY ******* players from this league that you want.  Mahomes or Allen at QB, Barkley at RB, JJ, AJ Brown, Davante at WR, an OL full of guys fresh off 1st team AP seasons, the ******* 2000 Ravens defense.  A young Parcells calling the shots with whatever ******* staff he decided to bring in.  It wouldn't matter, because as soon as these guys put that Jets jersey on and step onto the field they'll sh*t themselves and forget how to play football.

I've been a fan of some sh*tty teams but I've never bought into the "cursed" stuff.  Jets, Mets, Islanders, all since '86.  38 years of bullsh*t.  I've seen some bad years.  Ugly years.  Embarrassing years.  This one might be the most infuriating though.  Just a team of talented players who don't give a ****.  Actually let me correct that - they do give a ****, but instead of wanting to fix it they'd rather point fingers and say "not my fault".  It's a joke.  At this point though, I don't see how you fix it unless you wipe out everything, including Woody.  There's a stank on this organization that can't be fixed by just replacing JD, bringing in a new coaching staff and letting them draft a QB.  How tf is that going to change anything when the culture here is so broken?

At least the Mets showed me some heart.  Would be nice to have something to be entertained by until next February, but I guess that ain't gonna happen.  **** this team.  

There is a reason why after being hired to coach the Jets Rex was waiting outside Bart Scott's door at midnight just before free agency began. Rex knew he had to change the culture. So, he brought in Bart Scott to do that along with some other guys like Jim Leonard. But Scott was the key. He was the straw that stirred the drink and led on the field and inside the locker room. Scott knew what Rex was selling and he got others to buy in. There is no buy in for these Jets. They are a bunch of individuals. 

It is a shame that Rex lost sight of the goal and let his ego take over transforming him from a coach to caricature, and making the team his vehicle for full employment for friends of Rex.  He could have been special but he let his ego take over and became a joke.

• En Fuego 1

47 minutes ago, peebag said:

lol, "hey I got this money making machine but people are mad at me for having it. I think I will sell it to codify them"

Naive. Woody Johnson doesn't make a penny off of the increased valuation of his franchise if he doesn't sell. Unrealized gains are unrealized.

He's also the kind of person who has no sense of value. He's never been broke and he's never had to hustle for anything, ever.

He didn't buy the Jets as an investment to help with his retirement goals. He was born retired. He bought the Jets as a plaything like people do that have billions of unearned dollars just sitting around. Now, the Jets bring him nothing but embarrassment and boredom. Even scarier for him is the prospect that he's now witnessing first hand: fixing it is going to require him to do WORK!!! He's done with that already.

He's going to sell. He's bored and will be looking for a new toy to break. You heard it here first.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets were good under Parcells.  You bring in a veteran responsible leader then you have a chance.  Of course, those don't come around very often and we passed on both Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh.

Parcells loved Leon Hess.

Nobody is coming here for Woody Johnson.

They may come for his money, but it's going to have to be an obscene anount.

5 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

image.jpeg.1db7c2dd8139ff8b213781dcddc701f6.jpeg

to be fair, this particular edition of "Jets suck" isn't on him, at all. It's on Joe and Rob. This lockerroom and the culture there is the responsibility of the people he hired. So indirectly, yes - but wasn't an obvious L when we hired both.  

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Dude why are you here?  You come here to enjoy the tailgate and the nachos?  No, you're one of the duped, just like all of us.  **** outta here with this bullsh*t.  No one who doesn't care about the Jets spends as much time on this message board as you do.  Pretend like you're not invested in this team all you want, it's cool.  You're just as cooked as the rest of us, and you'll keep coming back like the rest of us.

...and no, the fact that you sh*t on everything doesn't somehow exclude you from being sucked in.  

You are way out of line here, Mr.  I don't disparage individual players or the Jets uniform or the other fans.  I've just come to accept that the Jets are not going to have sustained success on the field. SPECIFICALLY DUE TO MANAGMENT.  TOP MANAGEMENT.  That is not a reason to exclude myself from discourse.  I am also always respectful of players even when they don't perform well.  You won't see me in here calling guys "bums".

Get your head out of the sand as far as ownership.  That IS the problem.  It has bee, it is and it will be. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like a pretty fair restatement of what I said.  I would add that the way he has chosen to run the team has had an influence on who is available to be hired to fill positions

Whey do you think BB left town on a greased rail after writing his resignation on a table napkin ??? 

2 hours ago, peebag said:

The only way to fix this is to take it down to brick and mortar.

Fire everyone associated with this team to include people in the periphery.  Anyone who you can't fire, give them an opportunity to leave or let them know things going forward will be handled differently.

Any players, coaches who wish to leave, find a way to allow it to happen, team friendly terms or not.

Change the name/mascot/colors of the team.  Remove any history of the Jets from the team's premises.

Ownership must allow for the football operations to be a separate entity and only intercede at the bequest of the president of football operations.

I would suggest that a separate stadium go with this rebuild but like aforementioned items above, it's a pie in the sky dream.

just change the owner.  

We could win with Woody if he hired someone who can handle him like Jimmy Johnson handled Jerry Jones.

This is unlikely but could happen if:

1. Woody had a boner for this candidate

2. The candidate stipulates that he has full control over the team

This isn't happening, so we can welcome Kliff Kingsbury to the NYJ in 2025.  

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I’m convinced that legacy rich folks rarely make good pro sports owners. They have no idea how to go from nothing to something or the amount of work it takes to do so, This clown needs to sell the team. Either to a self made billionaire or take it public, sell shares, and have a board of directors pick a ceo to run it.

Bah, I'm sure it'll get better when his son is running the team for the ~60 post-Woody years. 

• Ugh 1

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah I agree and the state or the organization right now is absolute hopelessness. I don’t envision any top HC candidates coming here at this point either. It’s about as bad as it’s ever been.

01a64e33070a07fc.thumb.png.c85b09831b00761d52245283e96988c5.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

to be fair, this particular edition of "Jets suck" isn't on him, at all. It's on Joe and Rob. This lockerroom and the culture there is the responsibility of the people he hired. So indirectly, yes - but wasn't an obvious L when we hired both.  

Under that argument... he has NO accountability. His MAIN and arguably ONLY responsibility is hire the GM and operations personnel.  He has hired very poor candidates, has meddled, has hired "YES men from  Tanny to Idzik and on and on.   John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin are in their jobs going on 20 years... NEITHER was a DC or OC.  High quality talent avoids Woody. 

46 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Under that argument... he has NO accountability. His MAIN and arguably ONLY responsibility is hire the GM and operations personnel.  He has hired very poor candidates, has meddled, has hired "YES men from  Tanny to Idzik and on and on.   John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin are in their jobs going on 20 years... NEITHER was a DC or OC.  High quality talent avoids Woody. 

of course. That bill of lading is more complicated with an owner though. Culpability is not easily drawn to him for this specific stretch of bad.  Joe Douglas on paper and in person was a swing many teams/owners would have taken. 

The most success we've had in the last 25 years have been under disciplinarian coaches.