Yankees Fans: Who do you want up in the clutch?

nj meadowlands

Question for all Yankee fans (JBF's ug mug need not apply): List the top 5 yankees on the roster right now that you would want to come up in a clutch situation in late September or the playoffs

I'll start

1. Derek Jeter

2. Jorge Posada

3. Bernie Williams

4. Hideki Matsui (if healthy)

5. Johnny Damon

Hon mention: Robinson Cano

Notice how the top 3 are all old guard yanks... hm

Jeter, Matsui, Damon, Giambi, Bernie, Posada. I know that this is six. But Bernie and Posada are tied, IMO.

BTW - Jeter is #1, by a lot.

Excerpt from recent ESPN article.

This is meant as neither indictment nor blasphemy. It is explanatory, not accusatory. But it runs the risk of being dismissed as hating because Jeter is a cathedral, and worship tends to cloud fanatics, faith obstructing facts. So forgive me, for I am about to sin.

Perception takes a bat to reality.

Pretty good deal if you can get it. We ignore that no player in baseball, not one, made more outs to end games last season with the tying or winning run on base than Jeter did. Instead, we celebrate his eighth inning homer to beat the Royals earlier this month with tabloid headlines about clutchness even though, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, it was only the second time in Jeter's career that he had any kind of hit after the eighth inning to drive in both the tying and winning runs.

This is meant as neither indictment nor blasphemy. It is explanatory, not accusatory. But it runs the risk of being dismissed as hating because Jeter is a cathedral, and worship tends to cloud fanatics, faith obstructing facts. So forgive me, for I am about to sin.

Pretty good deal if you can get it. We ignore that no player in baseball, not one, made more outs to end games last season with the tying or winning run on base than Jeter did. Instead, we celebrate his eighth inning homer to beat the Royals earlier this month with tabloid headlines about clutchness even though, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, it was only the second time in Jeter's career that he had any kind of hit after the eighth inning to drive in both the tying and winning runs.

Yeah but did you see that flip against Oakland a few years ago.

:rolleyes:

Yeah but did you see that flip against Oakland a few years ago.

:rolleyes:

Yes. So did the author.

You play 115 postseason games (more than Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro and Ted Williams combined) and, every once in a while, Jeffrey Maier is going to reach out and turn one of your outs into a home run. Miguel Tejada might make a famous flip to his catcher to save a series too if you gave him 95 more games of postseason chances than he's had.

Hey GS, A-Rod Sucks.

Learn it, love it, deal with it....we all have.

Again, This is meant as neither indictment nor blasphemy. It is explanatory, not accusatory. But it runs the risk of being dismissed as hating because Jeter is a cathedral, and worship tends to cloud fanatics, faith obstructing facts. So forgive me, for I am about to sin.

Jeter gets credit for saving the Yankees with that flip to home plate but doesn't get blamed for the team's postseason failures since. And think of the times he's been bailed out. His four-strikeout performance against the Twins in the 2004 playoffs was erased because “choker” Alex Rodriguez lifted the Yankees with a monster performance in the same game. And once Aaron Boone hit the Game 7 homer to carry Jeter and the rest of the Yankees past the Red Sox, it didn't matter that Jeter was 7-for-30 with three runs and two RBIs.

Again, This is meant as neither indictment nor blasphemy. It is explanatory, not accusatory. But it runs the risk of being dismissed as hating because Jeter is a cathedral, and worship tends to cloud fanatics, faith obstructing facts. So forgive me, for I am about to sin.

Jeter gets credit for saving the Yankees with that flip to home plate but doesn't get blamed for the team's postseason failures since. And think of the times he's been bailed out. His four-strikeout performance against the Twins in the 2004 playoffs was erased because “choker” Alex Rodriguez lifted the Yankees with a monster performance in the same game. And once Aaron Boone hit the Game 7 homer to carry Jeter and the rest of the Yankees past the Red Sox, it didn't matter that Jeter was 7-for-30 with three runs and two RBIs.

Or that ARod was what? 2-17 against the Angels last season?

You act like 7-30, 3 R's and 2 RBI's is a bad thing? ARod wouldn't have gotten 5 hits, scored maybe 1 run and 0 RBI's along with 15 Strikeouts.

Alert the president of the Jeter fan club!!

And who trys to dig up this stat up that Jeter only had driven in the TYING and WINNING RUNS after the 8th inning twice in his career.......maybe it has something to do with him batting 1st/2nd? Last time I checked Jeter is the guy starting rallys and getting himself into scoring position along with others to get the winning runs in. Jeter was never a cleanup hitter so this is very lame from elias sports bureau, a pretty meangingless stat because Jeter is a 2 hole hitter. Jeter doesnt get the same # of opportunities to knock in the tying and winning runs in the same at bat........ Jeter is the guy who gets the double to lead off the 8th/9th inning or the guy to go the opposite way and bring the runner from 1st to 3rd on a single.....This MEANGINLESS STAT doesnt prove anything except Jeter haters will try to reach for anything to hold on so they can claim Jeter is not clutch......watch the games is what I'll say.

N-E-X-T

Alert the president of the Jeter fan club!!

And who trys to dig up this stat up that Jeter only had driven in the TYING and WINNING RUNS after the 8th inning twice in his career.......maybe it has something to do with him batting 1st/2nd? Last time I checked Jeter is the guy starting rallys and getting himself into scoring position along with others to get the winning runs in. Jeter was never a cleanup hitter so this is very lame from elias sports bureau, a pretty meangingless stat because Jeter is a 2 hole hitter. Jeter doesnt get the same # of opportunities to knock in the tying and winning runs in the same at bat........ Jeter is the guy who gets the double to lead off the 8th/9th inning or the guy to go the opposite way and bring the runner from 1st to 3rd on a single.....This MEANGINLESS STAT doesnt prove anything except Jeter haters will try to reach for anything to hold on so they can claim Jeter is not clutch......watch the games is what I'll say.

N-E-X-T

Barton, if Jeter doesn't get any 8th inning and after RBI oppurtunities (which is a dumb statement on your part ) how do you explain the authors stat that no player in baseball, not one, made more outs to end games last season with the tying or winning run on base than Jeter did?

"The moments that reaffirm belief, we keep. The ones that don't, we discard".

No one is saying he's not a very good player. He is without a doubt.

Blindly saying he's the guy you want up in a big spot because he always produces is a myth without statistics to back it. When you look at stats you see he actully has a problem in those spots.

Another example is Boston, your biggest rival. Jeter has hit .200 and .233 in the last 2 post season series against them. Free pass is given on those performances because it takes away from the clutch label.

Yes. So did the author.

You play 115 postseason games (more than Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro and Ted Williams combined) and, every once in a while, Jeffrey Maier is going to reach out and turn one of your outs into a home run. Miguel Tejada might make a famous flip to his catcher to save a series too if you gave him 95 more games of postseason chances than he's had.

LOL. Beautiful. It brought a tear to my eye.

I especially like the way Jeter gets no credit for helping his team to the postseason every year. Now certainly he plays for the Yankees. And they are talented.

But he is the captain and he helps keep the peace. Keep things calm. Because when all hell breaks loose we all know the Yankees are their own worst enemy.

But hell Jeter was just in the right place at the right time.

Gimme...you seem to be on a one man mission to say that Jeter is overrated. Is he? Yes. Hell yes.

Is he still a great player? Yes. Hell yes.

4 rings. And he will have more before he is done. It is impressive. Anyway you slice it! Now just admit that you think Jeter is cute and you will feel better about yourself.

LOL. Beautiful. It brought a tear to my eye.

I especially like the way Jeter gets no credit for helping his team to the postseason every year. Now certainly he plays for the Yankees. And they are talented.

But he is the captain and he helps keep the peace. Keep things calm. Because when all hell breaks loose we all know the Yankees are their own worst enemy.

But hell Jeter was just in the right place at the right time.

the two of you need to get a freakin room ;)

Don't look now, but guess who is leading the NL in hitting?

Yeah I know he is hitting over .350. But you get the point. You taking Nomar over Jeter at this point? And that is all the Sox fans wanted to talk about back in the day. They said Nomar would win if he was a Yankee. Ironic because they got rid of him and then won it all themselves. Weird.

Oh and the thing about Nomar is that he better hit .350. Because he now is a below average hitting 1B. Take him away from SS, take steroids out of the mix and look what happens.

Gimme...you seem to be on a one man mission to say that Jeter is overrated. Is he? Yes. Hell yes.

Is he still a great player? Yes. Hell yes.

4 rings. And he will have more before he is done. It is impressive. Anyway you slice it! Now just admit that you think Jeter is cute and you will feel better about yourself.

Yes Jeter is a great player MAX.

My point and the ESPN articles point which is validated by this thread, is that the Yank fan wants Derek at the plate in these "clutch' spots despite the fact that there is no evidence to support his annointment as the best guy for that situation.

In fact, statistics and reality show otherwise.

Now that doesn't mean Jeter cant and wont come through in the clutch occassionally, it just means that he has not done it anywhere near enough for the title Capt. Clutch.

When you hear Buck and McCarver say it enough times though I guess it warps reality.

Yes Jeter is a great player MAX.

My point and the ESPN articles point which is validated by this thread, is that the Yank fan wants Derek at the plate in these "clutch' spots despite the fact that there is no evidence to support his annointment as the best guy for that situation.

In fact, statistics and reality show otherwise.

Now that doesn't mean Jeter cant and wont come through in the clutch occassionally, it just means that he has not done it anywhere near enough for the title Capt. Clutch.

When you hear Buck and McCarver say it enough times though I guess it warps reality.

How come you capitalized MAX? A little weird. What's next you post about how I am bad at Webmastering in late innings? :rolleyes:

You tell us...out of the current crop of Yankees, who should we root for to be up in a big spot? We all know it isn't AROD. You tell us who it is?

It might be Giambi actually.

who should we root for to be up in a big spot? We all know it isn't AROD. .

why not Arod?

How can he be one the best alltime players and you do not want him up in a big situation,, how can you have one without the other,, wouldnt one of the best alltime be clutch?

why not Arod?

How can he be one the best alltime players and you do not want him up in a big situation,, how can you have one without the other,, wouldnt one of the best alltime be clutch?

Because he chokes everytime. It's that simple.

The day A-Rod has a key 8th or 9th inning hit that gives us the lead / win, it will be the first time.

Because he chokes everytime. It's that simple.

The day A-Rod has a key 8th or 9th inning hit that gives us the lead / win, it will be the first time.

but i still dont understand,,,

Max said he was one of if not THE best players of alltime,,

how can you be that and bad in the clutch,,,

Archived