Great Bollinger story (he's fearless)

Fred Jetstone

OSU up in arms over Bollinger's boast on autographed photo

By Rusty Miller

AP Sports Writer

COLUMBUS -- What began as a joke between friends has become a subplot in this Saturday's game between No. 4 Ohio State and Wisconsin.

The Buckeyes could barely contain their anger Tuesday when discussing a picture signed by Wisconsin quarterback Brooks Bollinger that also read, "The Horseshoe. They built it. WE OWN IT."

The Badgers have beaten the Buckeyes the past two times at Ohio Stadium. A year ago, Ohio State built a 17-0 lead only to have Wisconsin come back for a 20-17 victory.

Ohio State defensive lineman Kenny Peterson said he couldn't believe it when he saw what Bollinger had written.

"That's him," Peterson said, choosing his words carefully. "He wants to say that, we have freedom of speech."

Bollinger was stunned when Wisconsin sports information director Justin Doherty told him about the controversy as Bollinger was going onto the practice field Wednesday.

Bollinger had no comment -- in fact he doesn't remember signing the picture.

The Ohio State fan who sent the picture to friends and fellow Buckeye fans, Susan Zeier, said it all began when her husband, who is a Wisconsin fan, received the photo in the mail. She said it was sent to her husband, David, by a college friend whom she would identify only as "Mike."

"I won't give you his last name or he'll really kill us," she said with a laugh.

Mike asked Bollinger at the Badgers' spring game to write the boasting comment and sign the picture, saying it was a joke that he was sending to David Zeier, a Wisconsin fan and fellow alumnus who lives in Sandusky. Bollinger obliged.

David Zeier was going to throw the picture away but his wife decided it was a chance to make up for the times Mike had razzed her after Ohio State losses.

She mentioned the picture -- a black-and-white photo of Bollinger torn from last year's Wisconsin media guide -- in Ohio State football chat rooms, then took it to the Buckeyes' spring game where she showed it to several coaches and players. Head coach Jim Tressel hugged her and signed it, advising David to "Be a Buckeye."

Asked about Bollinger's autograph on Tuesday, Ohio State linebacker Matt Wilhelm said it helped to "fuel the fire" for Saturday's game.

The Zeiers have not heard from their friend since the picture was circulated. They believe the friendship is over.

They plan to go to Wisconsin for the game and to take the framed picture.

"I'm going to have to put it in a protective cover so nobody destroys it," Mrs. Zeier said.

1721478.jpg

OSU up in arms over Bollinger's boast on autographed photo

By Rusty Miller

AP Sports Writer

COLUMBUS -- What began as a joke between friends has become a subplot in this Saturday's game between No. 4 Ohio State and Wisconsin.

The Buckeyes could barely contain their anger Tuesday when discussing a picture signed by Wisconsin quarterback Brooks Bollinger that also read, "The Horseshoe. They built it. WE OWN IT."

The Badgers have beaten the Buckeyes the past two times at Ohio Stadium. A year ago, Ohio State built a 17-0 lead only to have Wisconsin come back for a 20-17 victory.

Ohio State defensive lineman Kenny Peterson said he couldn't believe it when he saw what Bollinger had written.

"That's him," Peterson said, choosing his words carefully. "He wants to say that, we have freedom of speech."

Bollinger was stunned when Wisconsin sports information director Justin Doherty told him about the controversy as Bollinger was going onto the practice field Wednesday.

Bollinger had no comment -- in fact he doesn't remember signing the picture.

The Ohio State fan who sent the picture to friends and fellow Buckeye fans, Susan Zeier, said it all began when her husband, who is a Wisconsin fan, received the photo in the mail. She said it was sent to her husband, David, by a college friend whom she would identify only as "Mike."

"I won't give you his last name or he'll really kill us," she said with a laugh.

Mike asked Bollinger at the Badgers' spring game to write the boasting comment and sign the picture, saying it was a joke that he was sending to David Zeier, a Wisconsin fan and fellow alumnus who lives in Sandusky. Bollinger obliged.

David Zeier was going to throw the picture away but his wife decided it was a chance to make up for the times Mike had razzed her after Ohio State losses.

She mentioned the picture -- a black-and-white photo of Bollinger torn from last year's Wisconsin media guide -- in Ohio State football chat rooms, then took it to the Buckeyes' spring game where she showed it to several coaches and players. Head coach Jim Tressel hugged her and signed it, advising David to "Be a Buckeye."

Asked about Bollinger's autograph on Tuesday, Ohio State linebacker Matt Wilhelm said it helped to "fuel the fire" for Saturday's game.

The Zeiers have not heard from their friend since the picture was circulated. They believe the friendship is over.

They plan to go to Wisconsin for the game and to take the framed picture.

"I'm going to have to put it in a protective cover so nobody destroys it," Mrs. Zeier said.

http://images.ibsys.com/2002/1015/1721478.jpg

So who won the game?

Fearless of what? Being cut is the only thing that should be on his mind now.

LOL, yes he is fearless. The way he walks into the compound day after day. Knowing it could be his last. He holds his head high. It takes a lot of guts to be the 4th QB on the depth chart!

:P

Are you guys related...or something? Just wondering. I will say this for him, though. He almost pulled off the Chargers game last year, and it wasn't his fault he had handcuffs on in the Ravens game in Oct. That's a bit more current, even though it isn't current at all. So, from "Clipboard to Canton", tell me true, is that you? Hehehe.

I think Bollinger is better then alot of people here give him credit for. He was indeed fearless in Wisconsi, I saw him take a hit jump right back up and bomb the next pass for a touchdown. He's definetly alot better then most people give him credit for, he's a very good back up.

LOL, yes he is fearless. The way he walks into the compound day after day. Knowing it could be his last. He holds his head high. It takes a lot of guts to be the 4th QB on the depth chart!

For someone who is fearless, he sure does look scared sh.tless of the rush.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like Bollinger. If you put Bollinger into a west coast offence, he becomes the west coast offence. You put Bollinger into a run and shoot and he becomes the run and shoot. You put Bollinger into a winning situation he becomes the winning situation. Now, Bollinger can flow or Bollinger can crash. Be like Bollinger my friend.

I think that Bollinger is better than most people think, but I don't think he'll ever be a starter in this league.

He might be a good #2 one day.

I guess the first part of this is true. He's better than I think. THen again, I think he's a grade school level QB, so maybe he's a HS level QB and he's better than I think.

Good #2?!? Come on. He shouldn't even be in the NFL. Short, no arm, not very accurate, scared of the rush...

I guess the first part of this is true. He's better than I think. THen again, I think he's a grade school level QB, so maybe he's a HS level QB and he's better than I think.

Good #2?!? Come on. He shouldn't even be in the NFL. Short, no arm, not very accurate, scared of the rush...

Short, no arm, not very accurate, scared of the rush...

---ASSESMENT OF BOLLINGER---

SHORT circuited many defences

NO ARM or shoulder injuries

NOT VERY ACCURATE status, should be considered league's best

SCARED OF THE RUSH limbaugh, pain-killer-popping, druggie crowd, lives a clean life.

Huh?

Short, no arm, not very accurate, scared of the rush...

---ASSESMENT OF BOLLINGER---

SHORT circuited many defences

NO ARM or shoulder injuries

NOT VERY ACCURATE status, should be considered league's best

SCARED OF THE RUSH limbaugh, pain-killer-popping, druggie crowd, lives a clean life.

Bollinger sucks.

Stop typing Jetstone. No seriously, stop typing and read it.

Bollinger sucks.

I'm serious Jetstone, keep those Bolly-fingers away from that reply button. Try to understand the concept here.

Bollinger sucks.

I know you're mad, I know it hurts. We all have our wishes, or favs, or hopes....but you need to understand.

Bollinger sucks.

He's not good. He's not average, he's not even sub-par. STOP looking at the reply button Jetstone, don't think I can't see you.

Bollinger sucks.

It's painful to have to give up on someone who's let you down, but sometimes it's for the best because....

Bollinger sucks.

Nope, not time for typing for you yet, so get yer hand off your mouse and relax. We've a ways to go yet cause....

Bollinger sucks.

We are a better team without this mickey mouse Chrebet-wanna-be. He wasn’t good last year, he was all we had and showed it.

Bollinger sucks.

And he MUST be cut because roster spots are too valuable to waste of someone who so obviously isn’t any good. Because as you have to see by now....

Bollinger sucks.

He has no arm. No skills. No accuracy. Hell, he's only an average runner truth be told. And that combines to prove that....

Bollinger sucks.

I know, I know, I know, you're his Dad, or his uncle or his best pal from school, the one who played Doctor behind the old School Barn, and that’s why you should know more than anyone that....

Bollinger Sucks.

But I guess it's hardest for those closest to it to see the truth, and you're AWFUL close to...hey, I see that, stop moving your mouse, and get it away from the reply button now kid. It's not yet time to argue why....

Bollinger sucks.

You're like so many Jets fans (even me sometimes) in how you buy into the Chrbet-O-myth of the Jets Backup. But he's no Chrebet. He is just a 2nd rate Arena Leaguer. Isn't it obvious by now that....

Bollinger sucks.

I just cannot understand how you couldn’t see it yet. Are you blind? Sorry, "visually impaired"? Would hate to OFFEND you, since the whole concept here likely offends you already, because I still say....

Bollinger sucks.

Look, I was as vocal as anyone that the kid get his shot last season, and I too yelled and hoped and prayed that he would beat all the odds and succeed. He didn't because...

Bollinger sucks.

He had his shot, his chance at glory, and I must admit he showed a few small flashes, a few plays where he defied the odds...but most of the time....

Bollinger sucked.

I can't help but try to reach you, to get to that inner child in your mind that just demands that your dream live. I hate to be a dream killer (no I don't, I like it) but the truth remains that....

Bollinger sucks.

One day you'll see.....and stop eyeing the reply button kid.....one day the truth will come crashing down on you, and your world will chance, and the light will flow into your mind and soul and you'll see.....

Bollinger sucks.

But till that day I am here, your friend even if it doesn’t seem so, to help you through, to get you past the harsh facts of life and the darkness such facts bring when you think about how...

Bollinger sucks.

And yet the time grows near when you can have your say, even though we all know what that say will be, a fruitless last stand, an Alamo-esque defense of the indefensible, the impossible, the sad reality that.....

Bollinger sucks.

And we'll all read it, and we'll all laugh a little inside, and perhaps you'll cry, and wish we weren’t so mean, or wish we could see things as you do, a World where the truth is NOT that...

Bollinger sucks.

But a world where Bollinger is taller, and stronger, and smarter, and better. A world where your hero, childhood friend, son, cousin, whatever is an ALL-PRO, a stud a man amongst men. But wishes don’t buy truth, and the truth is that....

Bollinger sucks.

So I will leave you now my friend, and hope you see that I have only the kindest of intents, a true desire to help a fellow fan, to get him past his blindness and misconceptions, to find him a place where his mind can see the truth.....

Bollinger sucks.

Say it with me....

Bollinger sucks.

Say it again....

Bollinger sucks.

Amen brother, amen....

Bollinger sucks.

You're getting it, keep reading, we're almost there....

Bollinger sucks.

I see your eyes opening brother, your MIND SEEING THE TRUTH!!!

Bollinger sucks.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!!!! The veil has been lifted from thine eyes and the truth burns your soul like the fires of the most holy light!!!

BOLLINGER SUCKS!!!!!

Ahh.......

Truth.

Fact.

Unquestionable, incontrovertible, unstoppable.

Bollinger.

Sucks.

Amen.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

I'm serious Jetstone, keep those Bolly-fingers away from that reply button. Try to understand the concept here.

Bollinger sucks.

I know you're mad, I know it hurts. We all have our wishes, or favs, or hopes....but you need to understand.

Bollinger sucks.

He's not good. He's not average, he's not even sub-par. STOP looking at the reply button Jetstone, don't think I can't see you.

Bollinger sucks.

It's painful to have to give up on someone who's let you down, but sometimes it's for the best because....

Bollinger sucks.

Nope, not time for typing for you yet, so get yer hand off your mouse and relax. We've a ways to go yet cause....

Bollinger sucks.

We are a better team without this mickey mouse Chrebet-wanna-be. He wasn

Bollinger would have never had the chance to start a game if our guys didnt go down with those injuries, he is a QB mad for college, not the pro level, career backup at best.

I know our old coaching staff is a bunch of morons, but this sums it all up about Bollinger. A 42 year old player who thought he was done, sitting on his couch was signed and within 2 weeks passed him. I know, Testaverde could still throw, but the guy could barely move and still he moved in ahead of Bollinger.

Yeah, that worked out real well:eek:

I know our old coaching staff is a bunch of morons, but this sums it all up about Bollinger. A 42 year old player who thought he was done, sitting on his couch was signed and within 2 weeks passed him. I know, Testaverde could still throw, but the guy could barely move and still he moved in ahead of Bollinger.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

We are a better team without this mickey mouse Chrebet-wanna-be. He wasn

Bollinger would have never had the chance to start a game if our guys didnt go down with those injuries, he is a QB mad for college, not the pro level, career backup at best.

The injuries were a mute point. Either way, injuries or no injuries, Bolly was gonna start last year, as he will this year.

I'm laughing at this whole mini-camp competition thing.

The injuries were a mute point. Either way, injuries or no injuries, Bolly was gonna start last year, as he will this year.

I'm laughing at this whole mini-camp competition thing.

No way he starts this year, he might not even make the team, Penny is staying, we all know that Ramsey is staying, otherwise they wouldnt have extended his contract, and Clemens is the future of the Jets, no way they get rid of him. Brooks is the odd man out right now, he has heart, but sometimes that's not good enough.

why is signing an autograph qualify as "fearless"

oooooh he can use a sharpie

"They built it, we own it"

That's bold, dude.

That was a direct challenge to Buckeye defenders. It's like saying "blitz me all day, I'm not worried."

I hope this post has dispelled the "scared of the rush" nonsense once and for all. To me it has.

"They built it, we own it"

That's bold, dude.

That was a direct challenge to Buckeye defenders. It's like saying "blitz me all day, I'm not worried."

I hope this post has dispelled the "scared of the rush" nonsense once and for all. To me it has.

Why? That was in college. The pro game is totally different. Let's hear some of his bold statements since he's been a pro.

Archived