Which Baseball Record will never be broken?

Mavrik

I know alot of people will say Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak, which is a record that I think will continue to hold for a long time. But I, personally, would go with Nolan Ryan's 5,714 strikeouts. The fact that Roger Clemens, who is perhaps the greatest pitcher of the modern era, has pitched for nearly 22 years and is still over ONE THOUSAND strikeouts away from Ryan's record shows how utterly amazing the record is. Clemens currently has 4529 Strikeouts, which means he'd have to play probably another 6 seasons averaging 200 strikeouts a season just to surpass it.

What's everyone think? Record that will never be broken?

My take was always teh Strikeout record. A guy would have to average 300 Strikeouts per season for 19 years, and would still trail Nolan.

Of course, 511 wins is out of the question. But it was a different era then, where guys pitched 2-3 times a week, like Cy did. And guys always threw complete games. Now-a-days, if a guy gets 10 complete games a year, he is considered an ironman. In the 1920s, and earlier, it was commonplace for teams to have a guy with 20 or more complete games. and sometimes more than 1 guy!!

My take was always teh Strikeout record. A guy would have to average 300 Strikeouts per season for 19 years, and would still trail Nolan.

Of course, 511 wins is out of the question. But it was a different era then, where guys pitched 2-3 times a week, like Cy did. And guys always threw complete games. Now-a-days, if a guy gets 10 complete games a year, he is considered an ironman. In the 1920s, and earlier, it was commonplace for teams to have a guy with 20 or more complete games. and sometimes more than 1 guy!!

Agreed. that's why I think it would be so hard in today's game to even approach the record. You would need to have alot of longevity, something that in today's game is rare. Today's starting pitchers are also only expected most of the time to go 7 innings and give way to the setup man and closer, whereas in Ryan's era and before pitchers were expected to go 9 innings.

nobody will break 511 wins, 190 rbis, .366 BA, .440 BA (season), 56 hit streak and 84 consecutive saves

511 wins won't be broken because of the era we live in.

190 RBIS I would say no because anyone reaching that point would be turned into a Bonds where during a pennant race would be intentionally walked numerous times

I don't knwo what your saying about a .366 BA. But Tony Gwynn was batting .394 before the strike in 94.

-It's hard enough reaching .400, .440 is damn near impossible, but again, that was a sign of the times they lived in. Pitchers backed then wouldnt've survivedi n today's game.

84 saves will eventually be broken, as will Orel Herseisher's consecutive scoreless innings streak. Gagne only set it a couple years ago, no reason to think someone like a Trevor Hoffman type can come along and break it.

Mavrik and MM both have good records that should be untouchable. As mbn said, the game is different now.

The alltime season batting average (.433?) is another one.

The .440 BA Blackout mentioned occured before the modern era. Most current major league records are in teh post-modern era (1901-present).

So that would mean Nap Lajoie would have the highest BA in a season with .427 in 1901. Considering no one has come close to .400 since Gwynn in 94', I think it's safe.

Some other records to consider:

Rickey Henderson's 130 SBs in 1982.

Dutch Leonard's 0.96 ERA in 1914. ( Bob Gibson in fact does not hold the record)

Jack Chesbro's 41 wins as someone mentioned earlier.

Ryan's 7 No-Hitters.

Ripken's consecutive streak.

How about some love for Walter Johnson's 110 shutouts?

The word some of you are taking for granted is NEVER here. People said no one would ever hit over 60 HR's. I am not going to sit here and say that no hitter will get 190+ RBI's, ever, because hitters have come awfully close over the years. Albert Pujols might just do it in our era.

But of all the records, I do feel that 511 wins is SAFEST. Just as safe may be Cy Young's loss total, which was something like 330. It takes a damn good pitcher to LOSE that many games.

How about some love for Walter Johnson's 110 shutouts?

The word some of you are taking for granted is NEVER here. People said no one would ever hit over 60 HR's. I am not going to sit here and say that no hitter will get 190+ RBI's, ever, because hitters have come awfully close over the years. Albert Pujols might just do it in our era.

But of all the records, I do feel that 511 wins is SAFEST. Just as safe may be Cy Young's loss total, which was something like 330. It takes a damn good pitcher to LOSE that many games.

I would give the edge to complete games. It would take 20 straight years of pitching every game a complete game.

511 wins won't be broken because of the era we live in.

190 RBIS I would say no because anyone reaching that point would be turned into a Bonds where during a pennant race would be intentionally walked numerous times

I don't knwo what your saying about a .366 BA. But Tony Gwynn was batting .394 before the strike in 94.

-It's hard enough reaching .400, .440 is damn near impossible, but again, that was a sign of the times they lived in. Pitchers backed then wouldnt've survivedi n today's game.

84 saves will eventually be broken, as will Orel Herseisher's consecutive scoreless innings streak. Gagne only set it a couple years ago, no reason to think someone like a Trevor Hoffman type can come along and break it.

thats a .366 LIFETIME average, not single season

the single season is .439

The .440 BA Blackout mentioned occured before the modern era. Most current major league records are in teh post-modern era (1901-present).

So that would mean Nap Lajoie would have the highest BA in a season with .427 in 1901. Considering no one has come close to .400 since Gwynn in 94', I think it's safe.

Lajoie batted .426 ;) and Hornsby is second closest at .424

Some other records to consider:

Rickey Henderson's 130 SBs in 1982.

Imagine how bad Vince Coleman must feel, if he only had been born before Henederson.

Dutch Leonard's 0.96 ERA in 1914. ( Bob Gibson in fact does not hold the record)

Nor does Mordecai Brown

Jack Chesbro's 41 wins as someone mentioned earlier.

Ryan's 7 No-Hitters.

Ripken's consecutive streak.

more untouchables

arod record of 3 errors in a game by a guy who makes 20 mil a year

I would not say that is entirely untouchable.

Manny has the money and defensive proweress to do it.

He came close in a WS game to boot.

All he needs is time and opportunity.

I am not saying that this is a record that anyone will never break, but, does anyone remeber Anthony Young and his record of at least 25 consecutive losses?

It was painful to watch. That Mets team was horrid (Worst team that money could buy), and Young was literally in a no win situation.

he was not a terrible pitcher and received terrible support and shoddy fielding. I remeber as he approached the old record, it was really all the Mets were playing for, and it just turned sad as he pitched decent games only to be fallen by bad luck or poor support.

Anyway, I just throw it out. It was amusing to watch.

I am not saying that this is a record that anyone will never break, but, does anyone remeber Anthony Young and his record of at least 25 consecutive losses?

It was painful to watch. That Mets team was horrid (Worst team that money could buy), and Young was literally in a no win situation.

he was not a terrible pitcher and received terrible support and shoddy fielding. I remeber as he approached the old record, it was really all the Mets were playing for, and it just turned sad as he pitched decent games only to be fallen by bad luck or poor support.

lol. I remember Anthony Young. Me and my buddy used to collect baseball cards like crazy when we were young and we'd burn Anthony Young cards because we knew they were worthless. I'm sure at the time of his streak, they were worth a cool nickel if he was lucky.

I remember that. That is a dubious record, likely to never be matched.

BTW - he did have talent. Just played for the wrong team at the time.

Here is one for you

Mike Marshall 106 relief appearances and over 200 innings pitched in 1974.

There are many relief guys who approach or pass 80 appearances these days. I would not expect that 106 record to be untouchable.

The 200 innings though, that will be almost impossible to break. There are not many starters who pass 200 these days.

He pitched 208 innings that year. What most folks do not remember is thathe appeared in 92 the year before, for Montreal I believe. He pitched 170+ innings for them. So in a 2 year span, he appeared in 198 games out of the pen, pitching over 380 innings.

Now try and break those records!!:cheers:

Archived