Fans revolt already?

Sperm Edwards

This article yesterday set some people off:

Can Trent put on the brakes?

Green is not concerned about switch to conservative offense after thriving under Vermeil’s fast-paced attack.

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. - Trent Green rescued the Chiefs more than once over the years with a long pass fit into a tight spot, a throw another quarterback might not have even tried.

New coach Herm Edwards doesn’t like for his quarterback to be the hero. He would rather see in that role any number of others: running back Larry Johnson, the offensive linemen, members of the revamped defense.

Edwards prefers his quarterback to hand off frequently to Johnson, get out of his way and, most important, not throw an interception when it comes time to pass.

The potential clash is an interesting one: Green’s ingrained willingness to take some chances down the field against Edwards’ decidedly conservative approach.

The success of the Chiefs’ passing game and their offense in general could depend on how well Green adapts. The Chiefs would prefer to figure out a way to harness their quarterback without taking away the quality that made Green a two-time Pro Bowler.

“What we don’t want to do is take away Trent’s aggressive mentality,” quarterbacks coach Terry Shea said. “He has more of that than any quarterback I’ve ever been around. In a lot of ways, that’s what allowed this offense to flourish.

“Trent has always had that flair for pushing the ball into a window, a tight window. He doesn’t lack for confidence in that way because his mind works so quickly that it’s ahead of the ball.

“He’s still who he is, and we want him to play that way as long as he is protecting the ball because that is probably the paramount theme that Herm has brought to the offense.”

It’s inaccurate to paint Green as some wild risk-taker. He’s done well pushing the ball down the field into some tight spots because of his accuracy but hasn’t thrown many interceptions since his 24 led the league his first season with the Chiefs in 2001.

There’s no question Green makes some bold decisions. Backup quarterback Damon Huard was teammates with Dan Marino in Miami and Tom Brady in New England but said Green’s thought process is as aggressive as either of them.

“Trent has such a good feel for this offense,” Huard said. “He knows when to take chances and when not to. That’s what the best quarterbacks do. He knows when to force the ball in there and when not to. He’s really good at that. That’s why I think he’ll do just fine no matter what our offensive philosophy turns out to be.”

Green played exactly the way former coach Dick Vermeil and offensive coordinator Al Saunders wanted. Vermeil and Saunders would tolerate turnovers as long as they were in small numbers and in an acceptable ratio to big plays.

No turnover is tolerable to Edwards.

“We’re going to keep within the theme of what Herm would like to see happen,” Shea said. “The top priority is to protect the ball. If we’re going to turn the ball over, let’s turn it over with our kicking game, either a field goal or a punt.

“With Dick, it was probably understated as compared to Herm. Herm is a lot more vocal about it.”

Stuck in the middle is Green, who thrived in the Vermeil-Saunders system.

The playbook has changed little, but the play-caller is now Mike Solari, a career offensive-line coach who has a fondness for the running game. Solari will operate under authority from Edwards.

Green played early in his career with San Diego and Washington, teams that ran conservative offenses at the time.

“It won’t be much of an adjustment for me,” he said, “because the first half of my career was spent with that philosophy.”

Yet Green can’t hide the player he is. Even though he liked seeing Green attack with downfield passes, even Saunders occasionally had to counsel his quarterback that it was OK sometimes to throw the safer, higher-percentage pass.

It’s not a stretch to think Edwards, Solari and Shea will have the same conversation with Green more often.

“You’re talking about game situations, the heat of the battle,” wide receiver Eddie Kennison said. “You’ve got to make a split-second decision. I don’t think Trent is going to change. I don’t think he can change.

“Trent will still be Trent regardless. He’ll still take his chances. That’s what makes him the player he is.”

Took these from Chiefshuddle.com:

-----

god freakin damnit Herm! what the hell is your problem man?!? What is going to happen if LJ fumbles when he takes his 38th hit of the game, score 17-13 in the 4th quarter? Is that an acceptable turnover? s**t happens man. You can't be afraid to let the game take it's course. Just have faith in your players. Play to win the game, right? Not...play not to lose.

Ugh, I wanted to put all my faith in Herm going into camp, but that is slowly wearing away. I seriously hope he makes this defense a monster because I don't know what he's doing to the offense. If Jonas and NOLA start a club, can I join?

-----

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Let the offense do what it's been doing the past 5 seasons and just fix that god awful defense, Herm.

------

Herm leave the f**king offense alone mother f**ker you

-----

someone needs to make a sig. Proud Member of The Official "Leave the Offense Alone, Herm!" Club.

-----

Everybody take a deep breath and relax. We're here to bash Herm ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teeth.gif) ) not each other. Cool it.

-----

(Jets fan post) sorry..welcome to herm ball..thats the way he coaches..remember he lead the league in least amount of penalties and turnovers??because the jets never took any chances..It's the old tampa bay montra..the 30 touch rule..If LJ touches the ball 30 times we always win..you are going to hear that too...

this move really boggles my mind..I thought he was going to learn from past mistakes..this is foolish..especially since the chiefs were 3rd in the NFL in time of possesion last year..absolutely amazing..

-----

dude herm is the coach for a reason, he knows whats best for the team don't u tihnk?

-----

No, I really don't.

Herm is still a very unproven coach in my mind. Losing career regular season record, losing post season record.

-----

(Jets fan again) well...look at it this way..herman edwards is intentionally destroying the number 1 offense in the nfl.why??..turnovers??please..I thought he knew nothing about offensive football??(which he doesn't)

so why is he doing this??he should be playing to the chiefs strengths(OFFENSE)..I hope you guys have a great defense this year..because I can already tell he is going to play every game close to the vest..and then put all his eggs in one basket and hope trent green can win the game at the end..you should always attack with this offense the chiefs have..this is going to be very frustrating if it goes down like this..It's even pissing me off..

in comparison..had he been the manager of the 1927 NY Yankees..he would want babe ruth to become a singles hitter..

I cant believe it

-----

Im just praying he uses the O like he should and dont try to get greedy thinking are D is going to stop someone!

Just because he was a CB and thinks he knows D dosnt mean he can come in here and change s**t up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cuss.gif)

I think we are Doomed

-----

I have absolutely no faith in Herm, but that is a good way to look at it.

I still think he's not going to let Trent open up the offense. At this point, I'd almost like to see what happened if they let Trent call plays, the way our man Lenny the Cool did way back when we were Champs. Won't happen, but I still think that would be better. Everything I've ever seen from Herm indicates he's uncomfortably conservative, and I still think that we could be successful being aggressive even without Willie. Not overly aggressive, but more so than it seems we want to be.

In large part, I miss the honesty of the DV era. Everything he said happened exactly as he said it would. So far, Herm seems to like being coy at best, dishonest at worst, and I've always thought of both traits as a sign of weakness.

------

:rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl:

And the thing is, wait until the season starts...can't wait to read the backlash then. Guaranteed it will be like reading some of our posts...should be fun.

That's what is so mindboggling. These posts were from July 31st. JULY. The first pre-season game is what - 2 weeks away?

Here's what the KC fans are missing so far - this will hit them in a few weeks or a few months (a few years for the slow ones):

Dumb as this may (or may not :)) be,

WHY THE HELL IS THIS BIG CHANGE BEING ANNOUNCED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD IN JULY???

And even though opponents out of the gate will probably expect it,

WHY TAKE THE GUESS-WORK OUT & ANNOUNCE A COVER-2 TO THE MEDIA IN MID-SUMMER???

I think Herm may actually have brain-damage. It's amazing that there are people still want him to be the HC here.

com'n guys can't you see what's happening? Herm wants to keep the game close so he can dazzle him with his clock management skills at the end of the game. I for one can't wait to see how it plays out. like rubbernecking at a car crash eh?

But herm made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years!:rolleyes:

just a question...was our team(s) really THAT good, that they could win despite the inability of the head coach? I mean ive come around to agree that herm is basically...well..a bad head coach. But how then did we manage to get to the playoffs 3 out of those 5 years? And how good do you think we would have been with a real coach?

just a question...was our team(s) really THAT good, that they could win despite the inability of the head coach? I mean ive come around to agree that herm is basically...well..a bad head coach. But how then did we manage to get to the playoffs 3 out of those 5 years? And how good do you think we would have been with a real coach?

I wouldn't say Herm is a bad coach as much as he is a mediocre coach that is overrated by the league and the media. You don't necessarily have to be a good coach to make the playoffs in the NFL. Just ask Mike Martz, Wayne Fontes, Bill Callahan, Dick Jauron and Wade Phillips. All mediocre-bad hc's who have made the playoffs at least once.

Herm had Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin both in their primes, a mostly good offensive line and mostly good defensive players. How could he have not made the playoffs 3 times with what Parcells gave him?

We were extraordinarily lucky...thats how.

2001- We sneak in as a 6 seed only after blowing a game to a 2 win teams and having to have Hall hit a 55 yarder. the we get embarassed the follwing week v the same team.

2002- We win the division with a 9-7 record after Miami pulls a HUGE choke and after Herm is forced to play Chad who has the season of his life. After a blow out of Indy, we are embarassed yet again by oak.

2003- From the moment Chad went down, herm thorws in thetowel and we go 6-10

2004- We start out 5-0 with a cake schedule and land up 10-6 losing to every good team we played along the way. We back into the playoffs, sneak past SD and then lose a heartbreaker to Pitt in part because of Herms incompetence.

2005- Can you say, I'm mailing it in because I ma on my way to KC???

yes, we made the playoffs 3 of 5 under him but with 6 teams in now and the division weakened by the loss of Indy in it, it was not THAT hard to do what he did wiht the amount of talent he was handed. In fact, if we had ANY type of real coach, I say we make a SB over that same span.

Herm was, is, and always will be a joke. As I said on JA...jackie Chiles with a head set.

But herm made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years!:rolleyes:

He made it DESPITE himself. With the talent he had, it should have been every year, except maybe last yr where the injuries were terrible, but maybe the country club was the cause of that.

We were extraordinarily lucky...thats how.

2001- We sneak in as a 6 seed only after blowing a game to a 2 win teams and having to have Hall hit a 55 yarder. the we get embarassed the follwing week v the same team.

2002- We win the division with a 9-7 record after Miami pulls a HUGE choke and after Herm is forced to play Chad who has the season of his life. After a blow out of Indy, we are embarassed yet again by oak.

2003- From the moment Chad went down, herm thorws in thetowel and we go 6-10

2004- We start out 5-0 with a cake schedule and land up 10-6 losing to every good team we played along the way. We back into the playoffs, sneak past SD and then lose a heartbreaker to Pitt in part because of Herms incompetence.

2005- Can you say, I'm mailing it in because I ma on my way to KC???

yes, we made the playoffs 3 of 5 under him but with 6 teams in now and the division weakened by the loss of Indy in it, it was not THAT hard to do what he did wiht the amount of talent he was handed. In fact, if we had ANY type of real coach, I say we make a SB over that same span.

Herm was, is, and always will be a joke. As I said on JA...jackie Chiles with a head set.

POTW NOM

I read yesterday Herm said" we will try to run the ball 550-600 times this yr"

Nothing like getting the game plan in July!

i remember every week on saturday he'd say "we're going to start off the game with a slant pass to coles" or "we're going to try to blitz vilma whenever we got them on a 3rd and long" and every week i'd think "it's gotta be a ruse" but then no, i'll be damned he did exactly what he said he would. idiot.

Your post has been nominated for Post of The Week!

and I 2nd the nomination!!!!!!!!! . though you don't need a nomination to be 2nded. great post. you should change your username to mb gold ( message board gold). good stuff & welcome to the board.

you may wanna watch your p's & q's around greenbeans. He decides who the winner is each week. I usually wash his car on the rare occasion I get nominated, doesn't help so don't waste your time.

Bwwahhahhahhahahhahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahha

I think we need regular updates after every Herm blunder this year. It feels good to see this from the outside rather than ranting about it myself. It's better for the blood pressure.

Bwwahhahhahhahahhahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahha

I think we need regular updates after every Herm blunder this year. It feels good to see this from the outside rather than ranting about it myself. It's better for the blood pressure.

my only regret is that he's coaching the chiefs & not the raiders. football life in the wheat belt district just took a long,slow painful turn for the worse. I feel lucky. I wasn't the last jetfan to realize herm sucked...... I have bz to thank for that:) but I was close so basically it was over for me before the light came on.

looks like there are some smart kc fans over there who get it already. And that's why I think we're gonna see a headline soon in the kc observer that reads ' Herm Edwards has been thrown under the tractor" literally

and I 2nd the nomination!!!!!!!!! . though you don't need a nomination to be 2nded. great post. you should change your username to mb gold ( message board gold). good stuff & welcome to the board.

you may wanna watch your p's & q's around greenbeans. He decides who the winner is each week. I usually wash his car on the rare occasion I get nominated, doesn't help so don't waste your time.

Same with me. I let him ride my horses but i can't get past just being

nominated.

MSGold12, you should also know about 'turd of the week award.' to avoid being branded with this unsavory title, follow these simple rules:

(1) whenever someone mentions: "tight ends," "1-on-1 drills" or "going deep" respond with "like smizzy and max?"

(2) if a female poster actually makes a good point, mock her and tell her to "get back to the kitchen and make me a hoagie,"

(3) no matter how many sources patsfanTX cites to support an argument accuse him of spewing out unsupported drivel and add a :yawn: for good measure.

MSGold12, you should also know about 'turd of the week award.' to avoid being branded with this unsavory title, follow these simple rules:

(1) whenever someone mentions: "tight ends," "1-on-1 drills" or "going deep" respond with "like smizzy and max?"

(2) if a female poster actually makes a good point, mock her and tell her to "get back to the kitchen and make me a hoagie,"

(3) no matter how many sources patsfanTX cites to support an argument accuse him of spewing out unsupported drivel and add a :yawn: for good measure.

A hoagie? What friggin planet are you from? :rolleyes:

Archived