Tom Brady; "I'm not hurt at all."

SoFlaJets

QB to be third-stringer in 20th season

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer

November 15, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Vinny Testaverde strode into his latest locker room, the gray flecks in his hair matching the color of the New England Patriots sweat shirt on his back.

Two days past his 43rd birthday, the still strong-armed quarterback stood at his locker with the No. 14 on it -- his usual No. 16 already belongs to Matt Cassel -- before his first practice with his new team Wednesday.

Testaverde was born more than three years before the first Super Bowl. He is the only player to have thrown a touchdown pass in each of his 19 NFL seasons. Why start again with his sixth team and the season more than half over?

"A lot of my friends and family asked me why am I still doing this," Testaverde said. "The simple reason is because I still think I can go out on a field and be productive."

Coach Bill Belichick hopes that never happens and told Testaverde that. If he does play, it means that both Tom Brady and Cassel will have been injured.

Testaverde is fine with that. He said he'll help wherever he can. He can run scout team plays that Cassel usually handles and use his experience to help in quarterback meetings and on the sidelines.

At his age -- and after coming out of retirement last season and playing six games with the New York Jets -- he's not about to get into a quarterback controversy. Belichick cut off any sign that one might start in the wake of the Patriots' first back-to-back losses since December 2002 and consecutive poor games by Brady.

The coach, who is very careful not to share information that might help an opponent, was unusually direct at the beginning of his regular Wednesday news conference.

"Vinny would be the third quarterback," Belichick said. "I hope he doesn't play at all, but if something happens, at least we have ourselves protected there."

A few minutes later, the clearly miffed coach shot down a question about whether Testaverde would compete with Cassel, a seventh-round pick last year who threw just 33 passes in college and has played in only two NFL games.

"Did I say that?" he said. "Well, I'm not saying that. I didn't say it and don't even start that. He's an emergency quarterback. He's the third quarterback. He'll be inactive for every game as the third quarterback unless something happens to the other two guys.

"I don't know how I can possibly be any clearer about that. I don't think there's any need to ask that question six more times and get the same answer. He's the third quarterback."

If an emergency quarterback enters the game before the fourth quarter, the player he replaced cannot return that day. Brady has been listed as probable on every injury report last season and this, but said Wednesday, "I'm not hurt at all."

Testaverde is familiar with the offensive system, having played for Cleveland from 1993-95 when Belichick was head coach, and for the Jets from 1998-99, when Belichick was assistant head coach. Belichick said the quarterback worked out in Foxborough several weeks ago and the Patriots had been considering signing him for four or five weeks.

AP - Nov 15, 2:24 pm EST

More Photos

But they had more pressing needs than a third quarterback. When they placed rookie tight end Garrett Mills, who hasn't played all season, on injured reserve Tuesday, they filled his spot with Testaverde.

Having just two quarterbacks "kind of made us nervous," Belichick said.

Testaverde stayed in shape, although not prime football shape, after last season. He threw the football in his backyard with his 10-year-old son Vincent Jr.

"I feel pretty good overall," he said.

He joked that he joined the Patriots because his golf season was over. In Dallas, Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, who coached Testaverde with the Jets, kidded that "Vinny just wanted to get out of the house."

Testaverde won the Heisman Trophy at Miami, then was the first overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 1987 draft. He has 269 touchdown passes, eighth in NFL history, and is sixth with 45,252 yards passing with the Buccaneers, Cleveland, Baltimore, Dallas and the Jets.

He rejoined the Jets last year after starter Chad Pennington and backup Jay Fiedler were injured in the same game.

"It's been fun to have him here," Brady said. "He's still in great shape. I hope I look like that when I'm 43. I'll probably be in a wheelchair. He's a really nice guy. He has a bunch of familiarity with this offense."

And an attachment to the game that remains strong as the years go by.

"I just love being around football," Testaverde said. "I enjoy it. I feel like I can still do it. So I'm going to milk it to the very end."

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely zerosense unless either Brady or Cassel is injured. And unless Cassel tripped over his dog trying to answer the phone, we know it would have to be Brady. Belly went into the season perfectly comfortable with 2 QB's, no way he suddenly woke up one day this week and felt panicked about not having a 3rd guy. Something is up;.

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely zerosense unless either Brady or Cassel is injured. And unless Cassel tripped over his dog trying to answer the phone, we know it would have to be Brady. Belly went into the season perfectly comfortable with 2 QB's, no way he suddenly woke up one day this week and felt panicked about not having a 3rd guy. Something is up;.

Why doesn't it make sense? Almost every team in the league carries 3 qbs. Maybe BB thought it was safe keeping 2 qbs, but when you watch your qb getting slammed around like Brady did last week, you'd better make sure you have adequate insurance. Even it is too little too late. Do you think any Pats supporter, with the exception of Garb, wants to see Troy Brown back there?

he's been hurt with a shoulder B-76 and supposedly they had 2 roster spots open-and let's face it the Jets defense beat the shiit out of him Sunday

Um, the way Brady has been throwing all season, do you really think the Jets had anything to do with it?

I don't know but they crashed him into the ground hard a couple of times-especially that last sack he went down sideways right on that shoulder

I don't know but they crashed him into the ground hard a couple of times-especially that last sack he went down sideways right on that shoulder

I'm not denying that, the Jets had some great hits on Brady.

My point is, even in the opener against the Bills, Brady was missing wide open receivers.

And that has been a consistent trend throughout the season.

Something is definitely wrong.

Um, the way Brady has been throwing all season, do you really think the Jets had anything to do with it?

i dont care what you say...BRADY is not BRADY....there is something wrong with him...he's not throwing like himself...the last couple weeks proved that...being pressured like he's been..he would usually play better then he has if he was not hurt...

My point is, even in the opener against the Bills, Brady was missing wide open receivers.

KARM IS A MUTHER! I told you this day was gonna happen.

All those pats fans laughing at Penningtons injurys, and you all did, esp ALK, well if Brady goes down with a serious shoulder injury I will gladly show up and laugh at him and every 1 of you pats fans.

And dont give me "wow thats classy" BS. Brady has already won his SBs and his millions, to play a f##king game. A game. I could care less if his career ended tomorrow, he wont go out and get a real job I guarantee you that.

All those pats fans laughing at Penningtons injurys, and you all did, esp ALK.

That's a cheap shot Barton.

I can't recall any Pats fan "laughing" at PennyBoy's injuries.

Sure, we made comments like "china doll" and "egg shell", but that was based on the fact that he hasn't played an entire season in his career yet.

I hope you see the difference.

I would never wish/laugh about injuries for any player in the NFL.

Unfortunately, injuries are a part of the most violent game in all of sports.

Nobody was whining when he was chopping up Minny with all those 5 yard dumps out of the backfield that went for 25 yards. Maybe he's missing the receivers because they suck. The back is often a rookie who runs the wrong way at times. The modern NFL relies on precision, wr & qb reading the db and throws are made before the cut. If you have a stiff or a moron running the route you've got problems.

That's a cheap shot Barton.

I can't recall any Pats fan "laughing" at PennyBoy's injuries.

Sure, we made comments like "china doll" and "egg shell", but that was based on the fact that he hasn't played an entire season in his career yet.

I hope you see the difference.

I would never wish/laugh about injuries for any player in the NFL.

Unfortunately, injuries are a part of the most violent game in all of sports.

Making fun of him for his injuries was weak.

And Alk, I remember being a classless AHOLE about this. What goes around comes around, and I hope to see Cassell start a game or 2, get injured, and then Testaverde has to step in.

Nobody was whining when he was chopping up Minny with all those 5 yard dumps out of the backfield that went for 25 yards. Maybe he's missing the receivers because they suck. The back is often a rookie who runs the wrong way at times. The modern NFL relies on precision, wr & qb reading the db and throws are made before the cut. If you have a stiff or a moron running the route you've got problems.

There is probably some truth in that #27.

There was a time in training camp he missed a few days in a row. Not totally out of the ordinary for him to miss a day, but never in a row. At the time it was speculated it was a show of support for Deoin.

Do you think any Pats supporter, with the exception of Garb, wants to see Troy Brown back there?

Ha, I'm sure even Garb does not want to see Troy back there for more than a snap or two. :)

I don't think that Brady is hurt. I believe that Belichick is simply not comfortable continuing the second half of the season with just two QBs.

Too risky, especially with Brady not being in complete sync with his receivers to date. It's an understandable move.

I'll tell you this though, Cassell will play before Vinny, should anything happen. Vinny simply cannot keep up with the speed of the game, at this point.

However, Vinny keeps in great shape and most likely still throws impressively well at practice.

In fact, this signing may even spark Brady a bit. Not because he's in danger of losing his job to Vinny, lol, ...but he may step up in practice a bit, due to his competitive nature, and this may help him get in sync with his receivers faster.

Because I certainly can't see Brady letting a 43 year old ex Jet show him up in practice, ha, ha, ha. :)

Testaverde is fine with that. He said he'll help wherever he can. He can run scout team plays that Cassel usually handles and use his experience to help in quarterback meetings and on the sidelines.

At his age -- and after coming out of retirement last season and playing six games with the New York Jets -- he's not about to get into a quarterback controversy. Belichick cut off any sign that one might start in the wake of the Patriots' first back-to-back losses since December 2002 and consecutive poor games by Brady.

How the hell is vinny gonna use his experience to help the team when you already have a 3 time SB winning QB in the room? :confused: The only thing Vinny knows how to do is throw an interception when the game is on the line.......and a QB controversy is just laughable

However, Vinny keeps in great shape and most likely still throws impressively well at practice.

He is there to replace Gostowski.

Flutie showed that the drop kick is back in vogue last year. So with Flutie working for ESPN, Belichick had to search for another over the hill washed up QB to fill that void.

i dont care what you say...BRADY is not BRADY....there is something wrong with him...he's not throwing like himself...the last couple weeks proved that...being pressured like he's been..he would usually play better then he has if he was not hurt...

You dumbass.

That is my entire point.;)

Why doesn't it make sense? Almost every team in the league carries 3 qbs. Maybe BB thought it was safe keeping 2 qbs, but when you watch your qb getting slammed around like Brady did last week, you'd better make sure you have adequate insurance. Even it is too little too late. Do you think any Pats supporter, with the exception of Garb, wants to see Troy Brown back there?

I'd certainly would rather see Troy Brown back there in an emergency. VT is nothing but a hairy, washed-up, never was, piece of poo-poo.

Where was this assessment (now excuse) after the Vikings game?

Archived