Talking with my brother about the Jets

Now, he isn't that big of a sports fan but he has watched a few Jet games over the years and he asked me tonight what makes Jets fans so loyal with everything they go through year in and year out with the team ****ing us as fans each year with something new happening each year to just piss you off. I couldn't really come up with an answer. My best answer was myself and like others who are diehards, we are just simply diehards and we stick with the team through everything. The guys you see at the Meadowlands 8-10 or more times a year, those are the guys who are diehards and are with you. The ones you go on road trips with and spend hundreds of dollars to travel there and go to an away game only to catch **** the entire weekend in the opposing city, those are the diehards. But, with Jets fans, I'm finding fewer and fewer as I get older. Are we that great of a fan base? My answer is no. Where have all the people been recently at the games? Why are there so many tickets on the Jets' website, StubHub, Tailgate Ticket, etc.? Why are there so many red empty seats? This fan base isn't what it used to be as when I was a kid back in the 90's... now, yeah, 95 and 96 weren't pretty, I know, I was there, and maybe 97-02 was good because of the success in that time frame but there's no excuse for the **** that the players see a team who was just above .500 and now is .500 fighting for a playoff berth infront of thousands of empty seats at home. Ridiculous. Where the hell is the pride Jets fans? Those who own those tickets should be ashamed. If your not going and you can't get FV, don't be a greedy pig **** and give them away or maybe sell them for half of FV, do whatever you can to get another group of JETS FANS in that seat. Not Dolphins, Patriots, Raiders or Bears fans, JETS FANS. This fan base is weakening and I don't know why.

Just had to get that out.

Have a good night all.

Joe --

If the Jets win the Super Bowl you will have a few years of no empty seats. Until that time they are on a week to week basis. The seats are all sold but there are a lot of other options in this area. So when the Jets lose to Clev, there will be some people who dump tickets after that.

Anyhow -- the Jets are a team that has a good fan base. There are teams that have fans that never miss the games. There are teams that can't sell out.

All things considered (factoring in the Jets history) I am proud of Jets fans. Except that one annoying guy that sits in my section. But that is a thread for another day!

124 - Jets fan are loyal to a fault. To borrow from Fever Pitch, "You love the Jets, but have they ever loved you back?"

In the end, you are complaining about something that effects every team. At least you are not talking about Atlanta fans in any sport.

jmo, but I think, as fans, we're a solid fan base that is slowly growing into a top notch fan base (you know, like those bears fans that steal 20,000 seats at away games). Yeah, we b!tch a lot. Yeah, we whine to our nonjetfan friends about calls and what not. But remember, this is a relatively young franchise (in comparison to the really old ones) with relatively young fans that are just now starting to get to an older and wiser stage in their lives as the years go on (minus the guys that were around for SBIII, for which I know some but not many). Put it this way, most Jet fans I know average about 30 years old right now, that is pretty young compared to most other fan bases.

In due time, and with a little luck, I think our fanbase can become one of the great ones. In fact, I see it slowly happening now. We just need to be patient and, of course, win something.

One more thing, to me, being a fan has always been a very personal thing. Yes I get upset when I see people leave early or people sitting on their hands, but in the end it's all about my personal feelings and my experience with the team that I enjoy. It belongs to each of us individually, in our hearts, and no one can ever take that away.

This is New York, the Jets are one of many options people have. This is NY and the team lacks star quality and for the most part has put out a boring product for years. In spite of that they sell out in a crappy building and have a very active fan base.

Lets see.......

1. NY is a baseball town

2. Wait, who cares, the Jets dont even play in NY

3. We dont have our own stadium

4. I'm guessing the people that leave early dont live near the stadium? Maybe they live where the majority of the fan base lives.....in New York?

Giving your tickets to fans of opposing teams is f'n pathetic.

I think we're overrated as a fanbase.

Usually whenever I watch a home game, I see people leaving if we're just down by maybe 10 points in the 4th quarter and a lot of other times, crowd noise is almost non-existent.

We also have a reputation of b!tching uncontrollably.

Yeah some guys have been really hard on the QB as well.

Lets see.......

1. NY is a baseball town

2. Wait, who cares, the Jets dont even play in NY

3. We dont have our own stadium

4. I'm guessing the people that leave early dont live near the stadium? Maybe they live where the majority of the fan base lives.....in New York?

Giving your tickets to fans of opposing teams is f'n pathetic.

barton --

So from 1,500 miles away you can determine where the majority of the fans live? Impressive.

Actually though I will give you credit. Because if I was taking mass transit to the game I would be running out of there. So I think you do have a point. That port authority bus line is out of control. There has to be a better way. Oh wait there is, live in NJ and drive, lol.

barton --

So from 1,500 miles away you can determine where the majority of the fans live? Impressive.

Do you think there are more Jets fans in Jersey than New York? I doubt it. Esp considering all the eagles fans in jersey.

Doesnt excuse them from leaving early though, thats a pretty sh#tty thing to do.

Do you think there are more Jets fans in Jersey than New York? I doubt it. Esp considering all the eagles fans in jersey.

Doesnt excuse them from leaving early though, thats a pretty sh#tty thing to do.

Northern Jersey = Jets

Southern jersey = Eagles

LI/ Queens = Jets

Westchester/ Albany/ Bronx = Giants

Well what state they live in isn't 100% the determining factor. If you live in Staten Island the Meadowlands might be easier to get to anyhow. I wanted NYC myself. Manhattan. Once that didn't happen, keep it where it is. Long Island would have been a disaster.

Well what state they live in isn't 100% the determining factor. If you live in Staten Island the Meadowlands might be easier to get to anyhow. I wanted NYC myself. Manhattan. Once that didn't happen, keep it where it is. Long Island would have been a disaster.

I wanted to stay in the Meadowlands the whole time. Most easily accessible option, no restrictions on tailgating. We're gonna get a sweet deal out of this one, if it EVER happens.

I wanted to stay in the Meadowlands the whole time. Most easily accessible option, no restrictions on tailgating. We're gonna get a sweet deal out of this one, if it EVER happens.

Agreed.

I just thought something in Manhattan would have been the best deal for the team. The other team staying out late the night before the game, you know what I am talking about!

NJ is the best bet for me personally though so I am not upset by it.

Barton-

Until you consistently attend more than 0.000001 Jet games per year, you can go back to bitching about Pennington and shut your mouth about the fans that actually go to the games.

That's all.

Who's bitching? Obviously I'm not complaing about you or anybody here on this MB, I assume they arent the ones leaving early.

But by the time the 4th Q, I can see on my TV, seems like half the people left and the game is still close, Jets are even winning. IT IS F#KKING PATHETIC, any way you slice it.

Like I said, get a real QB, and fans will stay. Its pathetic, but if I was at the game and saw Chads floaters, I'd want to leave to, I wouldnt, but I'd definetly want to. The guy is a joke, he makes our team look like a joke.

All the Eagles fans in Jersey? Eagles fans maybe make out 10% of the NJ Football fans... if that. There isn't a huge group.

Who's bitching? Obviously I'm not complaing about you or anybody here on this MB, I assume they arent the ones leaving early.

But by the time the 4th Q, I can see on my TV, seems like half the people left and the game is still close, Jets are even winning. IT IS F#KKING PATHETIC, any way you slice it.

Like I said, get a real QB, and fans will stay. Its pathetic, but if I was at the game and saw Chads floaters, I'd want to leave to, I wouldnt, but I'd definetly want to. The guy is a joke, he makes our team look like a joke.

You're a joke and you're the pathetic one because the play of Pennington isn't the factor of why some fans leave early. Yeah, fans come from New York but they come from New Jersey, Pennslyvania & Connecticut as well. It is pathetic and not that many should be leaving but a decent amount do and it's horse**** but it's not because of Pennington and his real best winning percentage among Jets QBs ever.

This is New York, the Jets are one of many options people have. This is NY and the team lacks star quality and for the most part has put out a boring product for years. In spite of that they sell out in a crappy building and have a very active fan base.

Folks forget that people who "leave early" have earned their stripes to do just that over the past 40+ years. I pay for my seats, I've suffered with this team, I have the right to tell them to kiss my big, fat royal arse in the moment if I see fit. It has nothing to do with lack of love, emotion or loyalty. Now tell me Mr. Biggs, just how many times have you told the Jets to kiss your bum by flicking the channel with time remaining in just the same way? "I'm sick of this cr*p! FFFFFFFFFFLICK (angrily and impulsively flicks back, curses again, flicks away again - that'll teach 'em)!" Hehe.

You're a joke and you're the pathetic one because the play of Pennington isn't the factor of why some fans leave early. Yeah, fans come from New York but they come from New Jersey, Pennslyvania & Connecticut as well. It is pathetic and not that many should be leaving but a decent amount do and it's horse**** but it's not because of Pennington and his real best winning percentage among Jets QBs ever.

It probably is.

I do not mean this in a bad way, but who on that team would you pay to see if you were not a Jets fan? No one.

There is no one player that is a draw. Do not get that wrong. I am not saying there is no talent, but there is no one that makes you want to sitdown and watch as a outside observer.

Some fans will have that morbid curiousity and saty and watch, others will not.

It probably is.

I do not mean this in a bad way, but who on that team would you pay to see if you were not a Jets fan? No one.

There is no one player that is a draw. Do not get that wrong. I am not saying there is no talent, but there is no one that makes you want to sitdown and watch as a outside observer.

Some fans will have that morbid curiousity and saty and watch, others will not.

Kerry Rhodes. He is worth staying for. Sounds funny but Graham is worth watching. Miller on Kickoffs. And the offense can break one by running over people with their wideouts. These are all reasons to stay.

Archived