Jets may go after Clinton Portis?

From Larry Weismann in USA Today:

New York, NY: By my count, no AFC East team other than the Patriots has visited the Super Bowl since the Bills' inglorious run. Is there any hope for the three AFC East also-rans that New England's stranglehold on the division will end at some point. And more than that -- will any of the other three teams ever win a Super Bowl soon?

Larry Weisman: This was supposed to be the year the Dolphins got on the Patriots tail and chased them to the end. Uh-uh. Both the Bills and Jets seem to be building nicely but they are, to my mind, not ready to knock the Pats out in '07. I think the division will truly be up for grabs in 2008. Good coaches, two of whom think like Belichick. We've seen what he is able to do. If the Jets get more 3-4 personnel and a marquee running back (I am guessing they will try to pry Clinton Portis away from the Redskins, and I emphasize that I am only guessing) they could be dangerous. I worry that the Dolphins will have the same problems next year with Daunte Culpepper that they had this year and their defense will be a year older. My best bet for a Super Bowl team coming out of here other than New England: The Jets. But not right this minute.

Interesting. Portis is under contract so obviously it would involve a trade. Now, of course these rumors are nowhere near being confirmed true but here's two questions to ponder:

1. Would you want Portis on the Jets?

and

2. What would you give up / what do you think the Jets would give up for Portis?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Portis is under contract so obviously it would involve a trade. Now, of course these rumors are nowhere near being confirmed true but here's two questions to ponder:

and

2. What would you give up / what do you think the Jets would give up for Portis?

I'd love to have Portis. Something tells me I might love to have what we'd have to give up more. Nice to think about, but this isn't even a rumor. The Jets aren't the Yankees, they don't get everybody the paper says might be an interesting fit.

1-No, Portis is going to be 26 next year, meaning he probalb yhas 4 productive years left. Seeing as our only QB on the roster who has future potential to be good may take 2 years to develop, I don't see why we should waste a 1st rounder on a guy with a short future.

and

1. Why would I want an oft-injured nut case?

2. Not a damn thing

1. Why would I want an oft-injured nut case?

2. Not a damn thing

DITO

Why would this guy guess the Jets would seek Portis? He is nowhere near the type of "character player" that this organization claims to attract. Hell, Portis is a different "character" every week when the media interviews him during let's play house dress-up time, or whatever that is all about. Nevertheless, he is constantly bashing his team in public and he struggles with the injs.

Are you guys serious? Portis is in the PRIME of his career. He is ONLY 26 years old meaning he will have another 4-6 good years left in him, especially with the type of back he is I believe he could be successful into his 30's. How can you say you wouldn't want one of the best backs in the league who will have another 4 or 5 great years ahead of him.

Are you guys kidding me? A 1st rounder AND Jonathan Vilma would be a GREAT deal and opportunity to pick up Clinton Portis. Get Vilma out of the 3-4 where we still don't know for sure if he will be able to adapt to it and honestly a 1st round pick is well worth the services of Clinton Portis.

and

1. Not now. Portis is a good back but he's been the league for several years now and has a lot of wear and tear. He probably has just 3-4 good years left in him and that's being optimistic.

2. Shouldn't give up more than a mid-round pick though Wash would definitely want a 1st round pickfor him.

I like Portis a lot but it's almost always never a good idea to acquire a veteran RB who already has years of wear and tear on him. Please don't compare this to when we got Curtis Martin. Martin had 3 years vs. 5 years of mileage for Portis PLUS Martin did not have the injury history Clinton Portis had.

If you're going to package a 1st Round pick and a pro-bowl elite MLB like Jonathan Vilma, you want someone a little younger.

Are you guys serious? Portis is in the PRIME of his career. He is ONLY 26 years old meaning he will have another 4-6 good years left in him, especially with the type of back he is I believe he could be successful into his 30's. How can you say you wouldn't want one of the best backs in the league who will have another 4 or 5 great years ahead of him.

Are you guys kidding me? A 1st rounder AND Jonathan Vilma would be a GREAT deal and opportunity to pick up Clinton Portis. Get Vilma out of the 3-4 where we still don't know for sure if he will be able to adapt to it and honestly a 1st round pick is well worth the services of Clinton Portis.

A first-rounder AND Vilma is highway robbery. We could get a first-rounder for Vilma outright, so that's like trading TWO first-rounders for a 26 year-old RB coming off season-ending injury with almost $32M left on his contract..

I'd be shocked if Washington did this anyway (with us or with another team). Portis got like a $17M signing bonus in '04. They'd have to eat like $10M in dead cap space for next year if they traded him. It's possible, if they have that kind of cap space, but it's a longshot.

According to scout.com, here are their big cap hits for 2007:

$7M Brunell

$5M Carter

$6M Griffin

$6M Jansen

$5M Moss

$4M Rabach

$8M Samuels

$6M Thomas

$6M Washington

$3M Patten

$4M Wynn

---------------------

$60M in cap space for 11 players

+$10M more if they trade Portis

------------------------

$70M in cap space (for the same 11 players)

Leaves them $40M (if the cap goes up to $110M) for all the other players on their roster AND then they don't have Portis anymore.

Now add in:

$2.5M Archuleta

$1.6M Campbell

$2.3M A.Carter

$1.5M Randle-El

$1.7M Taylor

-------------------

~$10M more

So then they've got $30M in cap space for the other 35+ players on their roster, including a very high first-round draft pick that will be at least a $3M hit in his rookie season. Plus Betts' new contract is for >$2M/yr. Not to mention, Chris Cooley will be in the last year of his rookie deal so he'll need a new contract (and it won't be dirt cheap).

I don't see how they can do this and still field a team unless every other player on the team is going to be at or near the league minimum.

They're going to suck for a while.

They'd have to eat like $10M in dead cap space for next year if they traded him.

Are they able to trade him to a team that agrees to absorb part or all of their cap hit?

Hypothetically, could they trade Portis to the Jets for less than a first rounder, and the NYJ agree to pay some of their cap hit?

Are they able to trade him to a team that agrees to absorb part or all of their cap hit?

Hypothetically, could they trade Portis to the Jets for less than a first rounder, and the NYJ agree to pay some of their cap hit?

Only way is if Portis returns some of the money to Washington (and then theoretically the Jets give that amount right back to him). The Jets wouldn't (read: shouldn't) do that AND be on the hook for $32M more.

So if we split the difference, that means $37M (>$7M/year) has to come off our cap for a very injury-prone RB through age 31. If you're going to spend that much, might as well have spent the full $50M and gotten him 3 years younger.

Eh, I'm not a big Portis fan. He doesnt get the tuff yards, and he's not a mangini guy I would guess. He's definetly not a top 5 back, either.

If we're gonna trade Vilma and our 1st rd pick for a RB, it better be Adrian Peterson, and even that is too much.......

Eh, I'm not a big Portis fan. He doesnt get the tuff yards, and he's not a mangini guy I would guess. He's definetly not a top 5 back, either.

If we're gonna trade Vilma and our 1st rd pick for a RB, it better be Adrian Peterson, and even that is too much.......

You never trade a LB as good as Vilma for a RB the jets will be able to get a fine RB wherever they are in the draft. You can usually get RB's later in the first round or in the 2nd round.

You never trade a LB as good as Vilma for a RB the jets will be able to get a fine RB wherever they are in the draft. You can usually get RB's later in the first round or in the 2nd round.

Did I come off as really wanting to get rid of Vilma? I didnt mean it like that, but since his name was tossed in by 124 for Portis, I mentioned it.

Vilma stinks in the 3-4. And after BTs contract, its pretty clear we will not be switching back to the 4-3. If we can get a top 15 pick, 1st and 3rd rounds for Vilma, I would really consider it depending on which juniors declare.

Did I come off as really wanting to get rid of Vilma? I didnt mean it like that, but since his name was tossed in by 124 for Portis, I mentioned it.

Vilma stinks in the 3-4. And after BTs contract, its pretty clear we will not be switching back to the 4-3. If we can get a top 15 pick, 1st and 3rd rounds for Vilma, I would really consider it depending on which juniors declare.

I wouldn't say that vilma is 100% off limits but i sure as hell don't want to trade him for a RB.

Tomlinson Johnson Alxeander Gore Bush

Other backs i would take over portis: McAllister Westbrook Parker Jackson

Reggie Bush ypc: 3.2

But he is better than Portis, already? Reggie Bush is a God awful RB right now. He is a great receiver, that's it.

I'll give you LT, LJ, Gore (maybe), Westbrook (maybe - he's a beast, but also a huge pussy) and Steven Jackson, but the others are jokes. Deuce McAllister? Are you ****ing serious?

I wouldn't say that vilma is 100% off limits but i sure as hell don't want to trade him for a RB.

A RB as great as Adrian Peterson? Hypothetical question, would you trade Vilma straight up for Adrian Peterson? I would do it without thinking twice. Peterson will be a top 3 NFL back, on par with LT and LJ, by the 3rd yr in his nfl career. No doubt the Jets will be linked to him come draft time.

Reggie Bush ypc: 3.2

But he is better than Portis, already? Reggie Bush is a God awful RB right now. He is a great receiver, that's it.

I'll give you LT, LJ, Gore (maybe), Westbrook (maybe - he's a beast, but also a huge pussy) and Steven Jackson, but the others are jokes. Deuce McAllister? Are you ****ing serious?

Reggie Bush can go 60 yards every time he touches the ball. Portis can't. And McAllister is a VERY good back when healthy and is much tougher runner then Portis is. (I wouldn't give up a first round pick for either of them.)

Reggie Bush can go 60 yards every time he touches the ball. Portis can't. And McAllister is a VERY good back when healthy and is much tougher runner then Portis is. (I wouldn't give up a first round pick for either of them.)

Reggie Bush's longest RUN from scrimmage this year is 18 yards. EIGHTEEN. And that was in week one. Yes, he can go 60 yards when he has the ball in the open field. And Clinton Portis can't?

BTW, prior to this season, Clinton Portis finished in the top five in rushing in three of the previous four seasons. But, there is NO WAY he is top five back, right?

Reggie Bush's longest RUN from scrimmage this year is 18 yards. EIGHTEEN. And that was in week one. Yes, he can go 60 yards when he has the ball in the open field. And Clinton Portis can't?

BTW, prior to this season, Clinton Portis finished in the top five in rushing in three of the previous four seasons. But, there is NO WAY he is top five back, right?

Who cares if right now he's a better receiver then RB right now he's still a tremendous threat that teams have to game plan for and he makes everyone else on the team better because of the threat of his breaking a big play.

Who cares if right now he's a better receiver then RB right now he's still a tremendous threat that teams have to game plan for and he makes everyone else on the team better because of the threat of his breaking a big play.

Maybe because I am of the belief that he will never be an effective running back? He is a liability in the backfield. The dude dances more than Emmitt Smith. He should just move to receiver.

Archived