Once again Chad holds back this team

vinnys025

I don't see Coles or Cotch being deep threats with anybody at QB. That is the real problem here, not Pennington. Out of the 6 teams in the playoffs in the AFC which one has worse offensive weapons than the Jets?

Ask Coles if his Q/B leaves the W/R out to dry. Lav is still shaking the cobwebs from that hit he took, but if the ball got there with a bit more zip..................

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask Coles if his Q/B leaves the W/R out to dry. Lav is still shaking the cobwebs from that hit he took, but if the ball got there with a bit more zip..................

The play Coles got wasted on was a 3rd and long. He was covered by several Dolphins in a zone and Zach Thomas was waiting there. Pennington put the ball right on the money. No matter how fast that ball was delivered Coles still would have instantaneously been decked.

Now the swing that got Leon wiped out and the earlier pass that Coles tried to catch like Lam Jones were another matter...

Do any of you guys actually think that Chad's arm could get stronger during the offseason rest and more rehab? I believe that this could be his comback year, while next year he will be stronger and more healed.

Yes medical experts think so... but Chad hating "experts" dont...

Yes medical experts think so... but Chad hating "experts" dont...

Not for nothing mate, but has Chad ever had a strong arm?

All he needs is his accuracy back.

He will never be capable of throwing a 20 yard out on a rope. That isn't his thing. The Jets knew that when they drafted him.

When Penny was at Marshall all he did was chuck 40-50 yard rainbows that Randy Moss would catch.

He will never be capable of throwing a 20 yard out on a rope. That isn't his thing. The Jets knew that when they drafted him.

When Penny was at Marshall all he did was chuck 40-50 yard rainbows that Randy Moss would catch.

I think he will have more zip on the short balls, which in turn will cause more accurate throws...

Also one of the main reasons he doesnt throw well deep is his mechanics.. he could also work on those more now too, unlike prior years when he couldnt even pick up his toothbrush in the offseason,....

I think he will have more zip on the short balls, which in turn will cause more accurate throws...

Also one of the main reasons he doesnt throw well deep is his mechanics.. he could also work on those more now too, unlike prior years when he couldnt even pick up his toothbrush in the offseason,....

Are you serious?

Chad has never had "zip" on his short passes.

He can throw deep just fine but the problem is his deep ball looks like a rainbow.

He can throw it 50 yards down field but it goes 100 yards in the air and takes an eternity to come down!

If that's all he did then how did the team finish #11 in the nation on a 16 game win streak with Pennington "a Heisman Trophy finalist by passing for 3,799 yards and 37 touchdowns while completing 68 percent of his passes. That was good enough for third best in the nation." (CNN/SI in 1999) after Moss left?

Pennington will never have a strong arm, but there is some hope it will be marginally stronger than this year. I, for one, believe it may have tired and he faded a little during mid-season, but who knows. Maybe he won't bounce back so well after the time off.

I guess you never saw the lick Coles took from Roy Williams when the rocket armed Patrick Ramsey was chucking it to him in Washington.

If that's all he did then how did the team finish #11 in the nation on a 16 game win streak with Pennington "a Heisman Trophy finalist by passing for 3,799 yards and 37 touchdowns while completing 68 percent of his passes. That was good enough for third best in the nation." (CNN/SI in 1999) after Moss left?

Pennington will never have a strong arm, but there is some hope it will be marginally stronger than this year. I, for one, believe it may have tired and he faded a little during mid-season, but who knows. Maybe he won't bounce back so well after the time off.

Play in the MAC.

Play in the MAC.

Right, so the conference is the reason he had more success after Moss left? Makes perfect sense, I guess he was just lobbing jump balls to Moss his senior year while Moss was in the NFL. I don't even think Moss was there for his junior year and Pennington was still the probably top rated qb in that draft.

as to the "will his arm get stronger?" question-I'm on board with the excellent theory that Max has been espousing lately.He has been saying that hopefully this off-season he'll not have to be rehabbing all spring and half the summer and actually be able to rest and then work on arm his arm strength instead.I think a couple of months rest will do that shoulder wonders.

Right, so the conference is the reason he had more success after Moss left? Makes perfect sense, I guess he was just lobbing jump balls to Moss his senior year while Moss was in the NFL. I don't even think Moss was there for his junior year and Pennington was still the probably top rated qb in that draft.

Come on 27.

There is a reason Chad went to the MAC. I am guessing the knock on him now, i.e. arm strength, was the reason he went to a MAC school, that was I-AA when he signed there.

Those numbers are nice, but doing them against the MAC and doing them against the SEC is two totally different situations.

Come on 27.

There is a reason Chad went to the MAC. I am guessing the knock on him now, i.e. arm strength, was the reason he went to a MAC school, that was I-AA when he signed there.

Those numbers are nice, but doing them against the MAC and doing them against the SEC is two totally different situations.

I was not claiming his numbers show he was an all-time great college qb with a laser rocket for an arm. I was responding to "all he did in college was lob the ball to Moss." Moss left in '98. Pennington had two excellent years after that.

I was not claiming his numbers show he was an all-time great college qb with a laser rocket for an arm. I was responding to "all he did in college was lob the ball to Moss." Moss left in '98. Pennington had two excellent years after that.

He must have been lobbing them to someone. ;)

I agree ... I got banned at another site for saying this type of stuff.

I think he can get us by the Raiders. He better. They have no incentive to win (especially for a chance at Brady Quinn if the Lions happen to win).

Players like Leon Washington, Cotchery, and Coles (plus our defense and special teams coming up with plays at key moments in games) have made this season.

I hope we draft a mobile qb with a decent arm in the offseason after getting rid of Ramsey. Wonder if Troy Smith would drop to rounds 2 or 3 in the draft because of his height? I'd take him there. The game in the NFL requires a qb that can make all the throws and have some mobility. Chad doesn't have either. Yeah, he tries, prepares, and is probably a nice guy ... but, we want to win the superbowl and he doesn't have the goods to get it done.

I've been saying it all season, Chad is really holding back this team. He cant complete anything other than dump offs and middle of the field 5 yard timing patterns where Zack Thomas and company await those dink passes. Corners press and the two deep safety's just in case Chad decides to throw it deep....There is nowhere for Chad to go with the ball, the only way we win is if our special teams or defense comes through for us....and I think they will. I love Chad and everything he does except for his weak arm, its so weak in fact that he has no buisness being in the NFL, and its a shame.

If Mangini is smart, then a new era at QB will start next year, and I think this is most definatly going to happen. No way we do any damage in the playoffs with a qb who cant throw the deep out. Today's nfl is just too fast to not be able to make the deep out pass, its essential to make a defense defend the entire field.

Chad is great guy and a great football player, but as Tony Kornhieser said earlier, his daughter can throw harder than Chad Pennington.

Come on 27.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a winning starting NFL QB would not be able to compete in the SEC?

Come on 27.

Pretty well documented that Pennington went to Marshall because he could've gone to Tennessee to be Peyton Manning's caddy, but wanted to start instead.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a winning starting NFL QB would not be able to compete in the SEC?

Leaf > Chad

Pretty well documented that Pennington went to Marshall because he could've gone to Tennessee to be Peyton Manning's caddy, but wanted to start instead.

Then why drop down to I-AA Marshall?

If Chad was that heavily recruited and a can't miss prospect, there are other places he could have went at the I-A level to start and bolster his NFL ambitions.

Especially, a kid raised in the heart of UT country.

Leaf > Chad

If Chad was that heavily recruited and a can't miss prospect, there are other places he could have went at the I-A level to start and bolster his NFL ambitions.

There have been numerous weak armed QB who could not make it in the pro's who were not only successful in Division 1 football, they lead their teams to National Champoinships. Why did Jay Cutler go to Vandy? Elway to Stanford, not exactly hot beds of Division 1 football.

Chad never had a solid NFL arm but coming out of college and in 02 he clearly had a much better arm than he has now and it was clearly good enough for Parcells with the advise of Weiss and BB to take him in the first round of the draft. The same Parcells that took the cannon armed Bledsoe with the No. 1 pick in the draft who hasn't been any better than Chad over the course of his career.

Just as a side note, how do you think Randy Moss would have done in the SEC?

There have been numerous weak armed QB who could not make it in the pro's who were not only successful in Division 1 football, they lead their teams to National Champoinships. Why did Jay Cutler go to Vandy? Elway to Stanford, not exactly hot beds of Division 1 football.

Chad never had a solid NFL arm but coming out of college and in 02 he clearly had a much better arm than he has now and it was clearly good enough for Parcells with the advise of Weiss and BB to take him in the first round of the draft. The same Parcells that took the cannon armed Bledsoe with the No. 1 pick in the draft who hasn't been any better than Chad over the course of his career.

Just as a side note, how do you think Randy Moss would have done in the SEC?

Biggs - Moss was signed by Notre Dame and FSU. If not for being a dumbass, he never would have gone to Marshall.

I see your point. Whomever the recruiter was at Marshall should have gotten a bonus for getting him there.

Leaf > Chad

"He's cool in the huddle, and you never get the feeling that he's unsure of himself or his job or what he's supposed to do," McCareins said. "He instills confidence with his demeanor. He's like another coach out there in control of the offense."

i don't know...i'll take him.

Biggs - Moss was signed by Notre Dame and FSU. If not for being a dumbass, he never would have gone to Marshall.

I see your point. Whomever the recruiter was at Marshall should have gotten a bonus for getting him there.

You don't think Chad could have lead USC to a national Champoinship? Leinart is a dumbed down version of Chad.

chad is a good qb and im sure other teams would love to have someone like him.

Who?

He is a 30yo QB with a weak arm coming off two torn rotar cuff surgeries to his throwing shoulder.

The number of teams that would see him as an upgrade is not that big. Now, as a vet back-up? Yeah, I could see that.

Archived