Ranking The Top Free Agents

R44

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been meaning to post this page here at JN since last week, but waited for the page to be set up properly. That hasn't happened yet, so I'll post it, unfinished, anyway.

This is my best I could do ranking the top unrestricted and restricted free agents :Typotux:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/rankedSeniors_2006list.cfm

talk about a weak offensive FA class, i hope we go after griffith to fill our need at Fb since usually rookies have a hard time stepping in and starting right away. I still think we should avoid turner. Remember the last time we signed someone who was a backup in a great system behind a premier back, that is the 1.8 ypc man derrick blaylock, turner is anoither blaylock waiting to happen.

Guys worth taking a look at in my eyes

RB- Michael Turner

RB- Chris Perry

TE- Jeremy Stevens (very strong top of that TE class)

TE- Daniel Graham

OG- Derrick Dockery * I think this guy would be a good fit if we could move him from the left over to the right. He's huge and a punisher.

DE- Charles Grant

DE- Leonard Little - experience in a 3-4 defense, has exceeded expectations since drafted

DT- Tank Johnson ... just kidding

LB- Lance Briggs ...best LB available, will probably get paid less than AT

CB- Asante Samuel ...put him in Green, Eric

Also, surprised you rank Eric Moulds so low... age?

Thanks to all that replied, much appreciated....:Typotux:

Chris Perry should be on the resricted list.....But I'm having a real lot of trouble finding any Cincy papers that state Perry is a player worthy of consideration as a top back.

Plus, he's restricted and a former 1st rounder, so any team that signs him (I think) has to give the Bengals their first round pick :Nuts:

80, yea, age and lack of production really affected my ranking of Moulds....He's averaged less 10 per catch in recent season....

I had to include him, but I would not touch him.....I'd take Kevin Walter from the Texans ahead of him. Walter didn't breakout as expected for Houston, but at least he's young and CLOSE TO a Pro Bowl caliber special teams coverage player.

Bobby Engram of Seattle is another player that missed based on age at WR....

Chad2Coles is correct, Turner is man at RB.....I think compensation for him (unless the Chargers give him a huge tender offer to keep him --which is very possible) is a 6th round pick (maybe 5th?)....

Max, Buckhalter, if healthy, is a great all-around back -- does nothing great, but everything well....

One more note: Long Island native/former Pro Bowler Patrick Kerney (DE) of Atlanta can opt out his contract soon and be eligible for free agency.......I've debated as to whether I should add him, because he's stated a million times he wants to retire a Falcon.....Basically him and Keith Brooking are the leaders of that defense and huge in the community.

He's definitely a "Tan-gini character player"....:box:

Ahman Green wouldn't be a bad choice. He's not a feature back, but he's someone who can split carries with Leon Washington and Cedric Houston. But, then again, he just might be a higher paid Kevin Barlow.

Obviously, I'd targed Thomas, from Baltimore, and Samuel, from New England. To shore up the run defense, I'd get Sands, from Oakland.

Considering there isn't much more avalible (that would be upgrades over what the Jets already have), there isn't much more that I'd do in FA. Maybe I'd try and get Damon Huard, considering he was the QB that made the Chiefs work.

I'd look at (and no this doesn't mean I think we should go out and sign 6 high-profile UFA's and two RFA's - these are just the players I think would fit into our offense/defense. )

HB

A.Green (if his demands aren't outrageous & Mangini wants a veteran. Still has some speed & power & is a good receiver. Used to have some fumbling issues).

Turner (RFA - would probably require our first-rounder; depends on Schott's opinion if he's worth it since he knows him better than any of us)

WR3/4

S.McDonald (depends on $ but JMac is too expensive for his production & clearly he despises Mangini). We don't need a starter here; just some depth, particularly if B.Smith doesn't look like he's ready to be bumped up to #3 yet.

TE

Gonzalez (duh)

Graham

OT

L.Davis (glaring upgrade need & would likely be a very good RT for us)

Columbo (maybe)

Pashos (I'll be honest I don't know much about him)

OG

At least one. A bunch of these guys are good. Steinbach or Dielman I'd love. Even though they're both left guards I don't think the transition is that great from LG to RG. Find one whose team can run the ball & if he's a major reason. Then stick his ass in there over Moore. If the price is right, maybe even two & dump Kendall a year early. Our OL needs some beef; and beef is something Kendall doesn't have. He looks like he's about 285 lbs now & plays next to another 285-pounder. Maybe pick up one of these two for LG, Davis for RT, and draft a RG. I'll leave it to Tangini; clearly a staff who takes a LT & C in round one places a priority on the OL.

DE

Redding

NT

Sands (don't really know how good he is. If he's just big that's no help)

OLB

A.Thomas

Banta-Cain

Shaun Phillips (RFA) I would give up a first-rounder for & not think twice.

ILB

Wilhelm is a backup so he may be cheaper. Depends on Schlegel's development. Don't know what Mangini wants to do with Vilma, Barton, or both.

CB

I'd be plenty happy with either Clements or Samuel.

If we could claw away Turner for the compensation R44 suggests, Tangini should act so fast their skin falls off

It doesn't matter where the player was drafted unless they somehow give him the low tender. It just depends on the 1-yr tender offer the original team makes.

$2.0M = 1st & a 3rd rounder

$1.5M = 1st rounder

$800K (I think) = where the player was drafted

Unlikely that SD would Tender him so low. They can get more by giving him a higher tender & simply negotiating for less than the required amt. Particularly since Turner was such a low draft pick.

And R44 are you sure Chris Perry is a RFA? He was just drafted in 2004 in round 1. Hard to believe that a first-rounder was only signed to a 3-year rookie contract. Most picks in the 20's (like Perry) are signed to 5-year rookie deals which is why you almost never see RFA's who were first-round picks.

Ahman Green wouldn't be a bad choice. He's not a feature back, but he's someone who can split carries with Leon Washington and Cedric Houston. But, then again, he just might be a higher paid Kevin Barlow.

Obviously, I'd targed Thomas, from Baltimore, and Samuel, from New England. To shore up the run defense, I'd get Sands, from Oakland.

Considering there isn't much more avalible (that would be upgrades over what the Jets already have), there isn't much more that I'd do in FA. Maybe I'd try and get Damon Huard, considering he was the QB that made the Chiefs work.

He is about to turn 30, I say PASS.

And R44 are you sure Chris Perry is a RFA? He was just drafted in 2004 in round 1. Hard to believe that a first-rounder was only signed to a 3-year rookie contract. Most picks in the 20's (like Perry) are signed to 5-year rookie deals which is why you almost never see RFA's who were first-round picks.

He's listed everywhere as a restricted, but that's another factor why I didn't rank him -- I can't remember any 1st rounder getting only 3 seasons.....Some teams -- like the Dolphins -- browbeat their rookies into taking 5 to 6 years :banned:

By the way, thanks for info on restricted players, may use that at DD.com ;)

The defensive lineman (as Lance Mehl suggested) and guards are excellent....a lot of solid safeties (particularly restricted)...

A inside linebacker to "watchout" for is Matt Whilhelm.....Several teams tried to sign him last season, but balked at paying up the compensation.......Chargers claim he's on the cusp of starting, by their older inside linebackers just keep plugging along, so he doesn't get a ton of time...

Torrie Cox, a little know CB from Tampa, might get strong looks, too...Cullen Jenkins of Green Bay is a lot better than most think, too.

Stormshadow, Green is an excellent back -- the doctors will figure out how much he gets....if his knee is sound, he could be hot; if not he's sunk....again, just wait and see, but excellent points.

Naturally. Because, he hits 30, so there must be nothing left in the tank. Everyone's talking about Michael Turner... I just thought I'd throw out an alternative. My bad, weblord :-P

Hey -- as long as it doesn't happen again, we are cool.

Bring your A game tomorrow. :)

It doesn't matter where the player was drafted unless they somehow give him the low tender. It just depends on the 1-yr tender offer the original team makes.

$2.0M = 1st & a 3rd rounder

$1.5M = 1st rounder

$800K (I think) = where the player was drafted

Unlikely that SD would Tender him so low. They can get more by giving him a higher tender & simply negotiating for less than the required amt. Particularly since Turner was such a low draft pick.

SE- would a higher tender cost them more against the cap, regardless of whether he gets signed away or not? I can't see why these guys would want to keep Turner around for that kind of money, with a young and durable All-Universe RB on their roster. I guess it becomes all about what they can get for him... I want this kin on our team though.

SE- would a higher tender cost them more against the cap, regardless of whether he gets signed away or not? I can't see why these guys would want to keep Turner around for that kind of money, with a young and durable All-Universe RB on their roster. I guess it becomes all about what they can get for him... I want this kin on our team though.

If he's signed away by another team, then no. They get that amount back onto their cap (or so I'd think).

But why would they tender him that high? They will be a superbowl contender again next year. What happens if LT goes down? The cap next year will be $109M I think. What are they going to save by going with someone else? $1M if that much? They know him; he knows the system; they are contenders; they always have plenty of cap room.

I can't think of why they would NOT tender him for at least the $1.5M. To tender him for less:

They

I really hope we go after Turner but I heard mentioned on TV (sure not the most reliable) that SD would want a 1 & 3 for him or something like that...

I think I would stil pull the trigger, he had over 6YPC this year and a sloid amount of yards especially being behind LT...

This is a pretty good class, but with the cap going up there is going to be a lot of competition. If Turner is so hot we aren't going to be the only guys looking at him. We are probably going to have to target a lot of these guys to get any. One guy I always liked was Ricky Manning. Trouble is he might even be smaller than Dyson. One guy who sure seems like a "Mangini" player is Mike Furrey.

not this year & maybe or maybe not next year. But if you're talking about a 5-year contract (which is not at all unlikely) for each...

No NFL contracts last as long as the sticker. For the next 3 or so years i'd much rather have Thomas then Briggs. Thomas is a gamebreaker. Briggs isn't.

Hey -- as long as it doesn't happen again, we are cool.

Bring your A game tomorrow. :)

I'll bring the A game if you promise to bring your B game. Otherwise, I'll just outclass you again.

Geez son, your C game is weak! It's time to upgrade. I know you've got it in ya! You play to win the game! After the next smack session, I'll even cook BBQ for you! You can do it! ;)

He's listed everywhere as a restricted, but that's another factor why I didn't rank him -- I can't remember any 1st rounder getting only 3 seasons.....Some teams -- like the Dolphins -- browbeat their rookies into taking 5 to 6 years :banned:

By the way, thanks for info on restricted players, may use that at DD.com ;)

The defensive lineman (as Lance Mehl suggested) and guards are excellent....a lot of solid safeties (particularly restricted)...

A inside linebacker to "watchout" for is Matt Whilhelm.....Several teams tried to sign him last season, but balked at paying up the compensation.......Chargers claim he's on the cusp of starting, by their older inside linebackers just keep plugging along, so he doesn't get a ton of time...

Torrie Cox, a little know CB from Tampa, might get strong looks, too...Cullen Jenkins of Green Bay is a lot better than most think, too.

Stormshadow, Green is an excellent back -- the doctors will figure out how much he gets....if his knee is sound, he could be hot; if not he's sunk....again, just wait and see, but excellent points.

I guess my point is that I don't want to try and trade for Turner. I just saw that there was a nice name who was a UFA. And Green didn't have a bad year, this year.

No NFL contracts last as long as the sticker. For the next 3 or so years i'd much rather have Thomas then Briggs. Thomas is a gamebreaker. Briggs isn't.

I'm not arguing to take Briggs. Just that Thomas' age will be a factor. And if someone's getting a $12M sign bonus on a 5-year contract and you cut him after 3, then it's roughly a $5M cap hit to cut him. Now that STILL doesn't mean we shouldn't sign him. But you get a handful of these & that's how a team gets in bad cap shape in a hurry, with millions & millions of cap room being allotted to players who are no longer with the team.

Archived